Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuskah

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2019
I'm sorry but even with the kind of money the dude has (which probably isn't a lot after blowing it on Twitter), a brand new ecosystem is a huge undertaking. Windows Phone failed mostly because of having a dead app store. Huawei took a huge hit by being booted off Google Play Store.

Even if it runs a custom Android, which is the most likely scenario, the "Elon App Store" is gonna require massive funding to make devs upload their apps on there. OR, he's just gonna make the "Elon Phone" have Twitter pre-installed and the rest will be super basic Android with Google Play Store, kinda defeating the whole purpose of the device.

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
This has been a rumor for a while. He is not going into large scale phone manufacture unless he takes up the Linux OS and makes a proper phone and uses Starlink to make it work. I would just go with stagnant Ubuntu Touch.

That could happen but I doubt it. Blackberry uses parts of their old OS10 in cars and such now so he has few options.

But Linux is on its deathbed and a small tiny amount of cash would make it viable. If he goes this route I’m behind him! Remember the profitability won’t be from the actual phones but the services they provide to him via his other companies (Starlink) - that could work.

I have a Linux phone that actually works and you could live with - building on that would be easy.

Building a phone is easy.

The OS... not terribly hard either, considering you can fork Android or deploy some other platform and develop from there (e.g. your suggestions).

It will be easy to have someone manufacture it for you.

The hard part is the App Store.

Did I say it was the hard part? I mean "the almost impossible part".

Microsoft had a pretty great OS in Windows Phone, they bought Nokia to make the HW, and poured BILLIONS into marketing and bribing developers to port their apps to Windows Phone - end result: total failure with billions lost.

Apps will make or break a phone OS.

Good luck starting from scratch now and hoping to get any sort of traction with developers until you have at least 100 million users.

And how will you get 100 million people to buy your phone when there are no apps for it?

Reactions: jamezr

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
If Apple keeps boycotting Twitter, then I have no choice but to boycott Apple and their products.

I'm not a fan of any company that supports "woke" policies.

Yes I will buy a Tesla phone if it happens.

Wait - please explain this to me.

How is apple boycotting Twitter?

By not advertising there?

You think a company must advertise on a given social media platform even if they don't want to?

That's some weird definition of freedom.

Last edited:

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Listen, given the number of actually far right governments that Europeans have voted in over the last ten years, I don’t really think you’re in any position to be condescending to anyone, frankly. Or indeed the lack of support or reluctance many European countries have shown Ukraine. Fortunately the US and my country the UK were there.
How's "your country" the UK doing on those right wing governemtns? We all good here? Or do we have some crazy mental people in charge who currently rotate through right wing nutters as our leader quicker than I change my socks?

Stones and glass houses, my guy.

---

As for Elon: I want him to make a phone. Not because it'll be good, but because this Twitter saga has been entertaining as hell and I can't wait for documentary about it. I'll watch the followup documentary about the phone too, where Elon gives 5 people a week to build a phone and then complains they had the audacity to go to sleep before 3am.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Listen, given the number of actually far right governments that Europeans have voted in over the last ten years, I don’t really think you’re in any position to be condescending to anyone, frankly. Or indeed the lack of support or reluctance many European countries have shown Ukraine. Fortunately the US and my country the UK were there.
Good job the aforementioned orange hued man child had been voted out by the time Russia invaded, or he'd likely have just seen it as an opportunity to have a second go at blackmailing the Ukrainian leader.

Reactions: wanha

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
A lot of people love to “escape” to something more important, something bigger than themselves, a world where anything is possible in not so distant future.

And anyone who can’t see this future and says we need to care about today is a naysayer and an outsider who’s mind is too small to grasp the ginormous picture.

Elon gives you that ant any scale you like.

There’s always something new around the corner and whatever you’re waiting for can be done today or in about two years or so.

Always new, anyways better, cheaper, faster, greener, and all very easy to do right here, right now! 🚀🤩

You just gotta invest or, at the very least, go spread the word about it in the socials.

Does Elon deliver on any of many products he promises? No, barely any of them.

Are projects like Neuralink, Tesla Robotaxi, FSD, and Hyperloop most likely in forever limbo as current tech is nowhere near a level to make these things real?

After several years of waiting on these “ready in about two years” products, the most sensible conclusion is that most of what Elon proposes are “investor scams” that he has no good reason to believe can actually work.

But he promises the products anyway to get capital for another batch of future projects.

He only needs one or two of them to materialize to something tangible and then he’s on to the next batch of projects.

He’ll do this perpetually as long as enough invest in his next lineup of promises projects.

Too bad if you’re waiting for a Cybertruck or thought your Tesla would be making you rich working for you as a Robotaxi, because you’re most likely never getting either. Or, at best, you will get them in a few years but they’ll be nothing like the uncompromising futurist fantasy that Elon dreamed up years ago.

View attachment 2119291
Absolutely love the Monorail reference! Spot on!

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
If you don’t think that’s true then you don’t understand Musk and his autism. It isn’t in him not to be genuine with his thoughts and actions. His personality / autism isn’t wired that way.

When Elon Musk says he spent $44 billion to ensure that Twitter remains an incorruptible, non-government influenced entity (at any time in society), then that is exactly why he spent $44 billion to purchase it.

You think he spent a huge chunk of his net worth for fun? Sold all those Tesla shares for kicks? You think he created the Boring company to reduce traffic, SpaceX for interplanetary existence, and Tesla for safer driving, for fun?

The man is one of the only CEO’s other than Bill Gates who is spending a large chunk of their own money and basically all of their free time working to improve the lives of others.

Mocking Elon Musk is one of the strangest things to me, it’s like mocking the potential success and betterment of your own species. Totally bizarre.
Bill and Melinda Gates are giving their fortune to eradicate infectious diseases globally. Elon Musk is using his wealth to start more for-profit companies.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
even if apple removes twitter from the app store not like it can't be used. just you can't re-install it if you delete the app. They won't remove it though as they don't want to risk people leaving as it's one of the biggest apps thats for sure.

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
I've always wondered what people like you think that "woke" actually means...
I’ll bite:

“Woke” in today’s derogatory terms, means that the person/entity fervently opposes and makes efforts to silence/cancel/shut up any opinion that they deem unacceptable in society.

The opinion that one has may be worthy of that “cancelling” (e.g. blatant racism), but often the opinion is just something that is grossly misunderstood (through willful ignorance for affect, or genuine misunderstanding and misdirection from others), or a spiteful hate for the opposing opinion (often because conservative opinions seem “hateful” on the surface, but often are alternative ways to accomplishing a better society, e.g. how to deal with homelessness).

Not sure if that helps, but “woke” has become a derogatory term used against the left to mock their opinions that are often hate-filled and directed towards conservative values, with the goal of shutting them up.

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Bill and Melinda Gates are giving their fortune to eradicate infectious diseases globally. Elon Musk is using his wealth to start more for-profit companies.
The Gates are the largest farm land owners in America. I do hope that it’s for charitable reasons and not at all a selfish endeavor.

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
even if apple removes twitter from the app store not like it can't be used. just you can't re-install it if you delete the app. They won't remove it though as they don't want to risk people leaving as it's one of the biggest apps thats for sure.
Exhibit A: Flappy Bird. 🤣

1669728164694.png

Reactions: The Game 161

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Really love the faux moral high horses, how about China Apple? How about all the Islamic countries and their human rights abuses? I would think a gay CEO might take offense to how gays and homosexuality are treated and looked upon in these places.

And this isn't just Apple, I have no team in this but I mean it is obvious what a going on as far as the Twitter situation

Last edited:

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Really love the faux moral high horses, how about China Apple? How about all the Islamic countries and their human rights abuses?
🤫sssshhhhhhhh. THEY might hear you and ban you from Apple!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I’ll bite:

“Woke” in today’s derogatory terms, means that the person/entity fervently opposes and makes efforts to silence/cancel/shut up any opinion that they deem unacceptable in society.

The opinion that one has may be worthy of that “cancelling” (e.g. blatant racism), but often the opinion is just something that is grossly misunderstood (through willful ignorance for affect, or genuine misunderstanding and misdirection from others), or a spiteful hate for the opposing opinion (often because conservative opinions seem “hateful” on the surface, but often are alternative ways to accomplishing a better society, e.g. how to deal with homelessness).

Not sure if that helps, but “woke” has become a derogatory term used against the left to mock their opinions that are often hate-filled and directed towards conservative values, with the goal of shutting them up.
I think your definition of woke appears heavily one-sided.

Woke is not a derogatory term and its definitely not an effort to cancel anyone’s opinion, but its as you mention in gaining knowledge as to what’s acceptable in todays society. There are certain things you cannot do in today’s society and when you apply that logic you are being “woke.”

There’s no hidden agenda of being “woke,” no spiteful hate behind it and the goal is not to shut people up... everyone is entitled to their opinion. But on the flip side of that… those who are not accepting of today’s society will have to face the consequences.

It’s the social contract that we all signed.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
There’s no hidden agenda of being “woke,” no spiteful hate behind it and the goal is not to shut people up... everyone is entitled to their opinion. But on the flip side of that… those who are not accepting of today’s society will have to face the consequences.

Stop the wrong think or else basically

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki and JM

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
I think your definition of woke appears heavily one-sided.

Woke is not a derogatory term and its definitely not an effort to cancel anyone’s opinion, but its as you mention in gaining knowledge as to what’s acceptable in todays society. There are certain things you cannot do in today’s society and when you apply that logic you are being “woke.”

That sounds reasonable, but in actuality when there are people demanding that people get kicked off social platforms, company’s not advertise with them, essentially erased from public society, all for (let’s stay on topic at least) buying a company and saying that people should have the constitutionally protected ability to say whatever they want.

It’s emotional reactions and arguments, with little rational thought behind it: “the way that person makes me feel is bad and angry so CANCEL THEM AND ERASE THEM so I never again have to listen to that opinion I don’t agree with.”

It’s not that the sentiment of removing terrible speech from the public is an evil in itself (actually the opposite), it’s just that the qualifications for what is deemed “hate-speech” is so wide and not at all rational that the labels of “woke” is applied to the absurd demands for silencing people that simply have different opinions and if they were never screamed at in the first place they would have never become more brazen in defending themselves and lashing out with terms like “woke” and brandishing their frustration with being minimized.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Don’t forget: “anything I don’t like is bigoted, racist, homophobic”

This game works both ways, and society would benefit from a whole lot less of “the other side is the devil”.
I love that the opposite of being woke is being bigoted, racist and homophobic. And yet woke is the bad one. We're deep into SelfAwareWolf county here.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
I’ll bite:

Riiiiight... So the "meaning" of the word is apparently something completely different from the actual meaning.

I do however find it interesting that a section of society chose to take a word that *actually* means "being conscious of racial discrimination in society and other forms of oppression and injustice" and turned it into an insult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.