Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Apple's commitment to privacy is the top priority at our house. That alone will keep us in the Apple ecosystem until they betray our trust by selling our data. For others, budget is the top priority. However, the quality of Apple computers has justified the higher initial cost in virtually no need for service and lifespan of 5-7 years. Apple is definitely a little slow to the game with software, but usually does it right in the end. Not even considering leaving Apple world at this time.

I think the privacy thing is over hyped. What I mean by privacy is Google gets to know your search personality and whenever you search Google brings up different suggestions based on your interests etc. I like this with YouTube. There are many videos I would have never found if Google didn’t know my interest and search personality.

Reactions: macfacts

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
The amount of iPhone users who opt for Apple over privacy concerns and then use the Google search engine..:D

You cannot be 100% enclosed w/ Apple services alone since employers may opt for G Suite, Outlook, Microsoft Dynamics, and other 3rd party services. 100% Apple everything is expensive, limiting, and unrealistic.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
The amount of iPhone users who opt for Apple over privacy concerns and then use the Google search engine..:D

Exactly. I use almost everything Google and Google apps on my iPhone. And probably everyone uses YouTube right?

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Last year, I started leaving the Apple ecosystem when I purchased a Dell XPS 15 over the MacBook Pro. It was literally $1000 cheaper than the MBP for the same specs, so I couldn't justify getting the MBP. My next step away from Apple was when I bought the Samsung Galaxy S9+ in March. I was getting really frustrated with some of the limitations of iOS (Siri, can't download videos from Safari, being strongly pushed to only use Apple apps, like Apple Maps and Apple Music over Google Maps/Waze and Spotify). The iPhone X was also a couple hundred dollars more than the S9+, which factored into my decision.

I love my S9+, I really do. The features and specs this phone packs in is amazing. The screen is stunning. The speakers with Dolby Atmos are top notch. The build quality and design are very premium. The customization, freedom, and power of choice that this phone and Android give are very liberating. The performance is fast and great besides a few app crashes/freezes (I've had problems with Spotify and YouTube at times). I never realized how much I appreciated the headphone jack until I had it back. My XPS performs great as well and I've had no issues with it.

However, I can't stop considering switching back to the Apple ecosystem. I really, really miss iMessage, AirDrop, iCloud, and the continuity between all my devices. I truly loathe SMS. It's not like other parts of the world where lots of people use WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal, etc. either, which would make replacing iMessage much easier. When it comes to missing AirDrop, I recorded some videos on my S9+, tried sending it to my iPad Pro to edit, which was a huge process in itself, but my iPad also wouldn't accept the file (it was HEVC and incompatible, which is also confusing because Apple has high efficiency photo/video options now in Settings). I uploaded years of pictures to Google Photos, but I hate knowing that I gave up so much info/privacy to Google by doing that, and I just feel the integration with iCloud works better. The whole privacy issue is constantly in the back of my mind with my all my main internet browsing being on Windows and Android. I also have only gotten one single security update since I've had my S9+, which worries me.

I also really miss the creative software Apple produces for macOS. I like messing around in Logic Pro. I've tried Ableton Live, but I much prefer the interface of Logic. I love the interface and workflow of Final Cut Pro much more than Adobe Premiere, and I hate the high monthly cost of Adobe software. As a student, I could get Logic and Final Cut for $200 total, which is a steal, especially since I'd get lifetime upgrades too.

All of this has made me start thinking about selling all my current devices and putting it towards getting an iPhone X/"X2" and a MacBook Pro. However, I'd still have to pay a lot of money to switch over even after selling my devices, and I have some reservations. The MacBook Pro keyboard problems scare me a bit. I'm afraid I'll miss the freedom of Android and Google Assistant. My car also only works with Android Auto, not CarPlay, so I'll really miss that. It also just makes me feel wasteful buying new devices when all my current devices work great.

Any thoughts or experiences you would like to share? I'm dying for some insight here.

I can understand Airdrop, but iCloud? There are like a million cloud services available nowadays. iMessage? If you are communicating with only Apple users I could understand the issue. Adobe Premiere is a great product. I know several pros that have switched. I really think you are being disingenuous about the whole switching thing. Sounds a bit suspect.

Suspended
May 28, 2017
I have 6 Apple watches, 3 4K Apple TVs, MBP, Mac Mini, 2 SEs, 6S, 6S+, 7+, 8+ and a few iPads and I still buy whatever new Samsung comes out each year

image.gif

Reactions: CreamEggBear

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
What’s interesting is I hardly ever use our Mac. I use our iPad occasionally when I need to do something that my iPhone X can’t. I use my iPhone as a primary piece of hardware. With that being said I’m don’t really utilize the ecosystem. So in my case it’s primarily the mobile device that I’m concerned about.

Reactions: George Dawes

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I use iCloud, but mainly because of keychain and photos. Yes, photos.

Main reason is stndalone app on a mac. So I manually transfer my photos once or twice a week.

But the mac is only apple product that I use. Simply because Mac OS is way better for me then windows. Even though hardware is bad. Imho of course.

I can’t use iPhone anymore. Same old homescreen with boring grid of icons, no smart dial, etc. are big dealbreakers for me.

And aTV and aWatch are simply of no interest to me.

If apple would licence MacOS to others, I wouldn’t buy a mac ever again.

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I use iCloud, but mainly because of keychain and photos. Yes, photos.

Main reason is stndalone app on a mac. So I manually transfer my photos once or twice a week.

But the mac is only apple product that I use. Simply because Mac OS is way better for me then windows. Even though hardware is bad. Imho of course.

I can’t use iPhone anymore. Same old homescreen with boring grid of icons, no smart dial, etc. are big dealbreakers for me.

And aTV and aWatch are simply of no interest to me.

If applw would licence MacOS to others, I wouldn’t buy a mac ever again.

For me as of right now it’s not necessarily about the ecosystem. I guess if I got a Smart Watch then it would play a factor. I use my iPhone for 98% of the time.

I also use Google Assistant A LOT on my iPhone. I don’t like Siri GA is light years ahead. Wished GA was baked in the iPhone.

Last edited:

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
I can understand Airdrop, but iCloud? There are like a million cloud services available nowadays. iMessage? If you are communicating with only Apple users I could understand the issue. Adobe Premiere is a great product. I know several pros that have switched. I really think you are being disingenuous about the whole switching thing. Sounds a bit suspect.
Airdrop is nothing special either to be honest. Just use Airdroid.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Ultimately it just boils down to this iMessages thing. If you live in a wolfpack and mamma wolf dictates that you should all own iPhones, then if one of you should stray she dictates that the others should send videos to each other on a daily basis, only by iMessages, to make you feel left out... then it's time to reevaluate more than your choice of smartphone.

As for the ability to start reading a webpage on your iPhone and to then be able to pick up your iPad to continue reading it, then to go to your Mac to finish reading it... do people even do that? Is that such a thing that it could become a dealbreaker? Why not just finish reading the webpage on whichever device you originally opened it? I buy whichever device suits me. I base my purchase on looks, features and build quality. The old argument that only people who can't afford iPhones buy Android falls flat when those people are using Samsung Notes and Google Pixels. My buddy not being able to send me a video because he's a technophobe and can only use stock apps doesn't figure one iota in my purchasing decision. I'm sure that I'll live without the GIF or video and if it's that important he'll get it to me somehow.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Most people would never know the source of an attack against them was their Android phone running insecure software. When data gets stolen most people just presume some website got hacked. I don't think anyone should be taking any comfort in your statement above.

No one should take "comfort" in any patches on any system, including Apple, and should have a robust strategy around security. It starts with the thing most people fall prey to... human behavior. The famous "fappening" hacks were determined to be human error, and I believe most were using Apple devices.

What I am saying is that I have never read any report that because an Android device was slow in delivering a security patch, it caused a device to be compromised. If it happened as much as people on this forum like to spread FUD about it, then it would have showed up somewhere in the tech media at some point. So you can make that a reason not to move away from Apple, your choice. I like to look at things a bit more holistically.
[doublepost=1528819284][/doublepost]
Ultimately it just boils down to this iMessages thing. If you live in a wolfpack and mamma wolf dictates that you should all own iPhones, then if one of you should stray she dictates that the others should send videos to each other on a daily basis, only by iMessages, to make you feel left out... then it's time to reevaluate more than your choice of smartphone.

As for the ability to start reading a webpage on your iPhone and to then be able to pick up your iPad to continue reading it, then to go to your Mac to finish reading it... do people even do that? Is that such a thing that it could become a dealbreaker? Why not just finish reading the webpage on whichever device you originally opened it? I buy whichever device suits me. I base my purchase on looks, features and build quality. The old argument that only people who can't afford iPhones buy Android falls flat when those people are using Samsung Notes and Google Pixels. My buddy not being able to send me a video because he's a technophobe and can only use stock apps doesn't figure one iota in my purchasing decision. I'm sure that I'll live without the GIF or video and if it's that important he'll get it to me somehow.

I do the "pick up on another device" quite easily between Note 8 and Surface Pro. Its just like continuity if I use Edge. I however usually use Firefox and I can easily do it with bookmark syncing. So this is not anything unique to Apple.

Reactions: sunking101

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Last year, I started leaving the Apple ecosystem when I purchased a Dell XPS 15 over the MacBook Pro. It was literally $1000 cheaper than the MBP for the same specs, so I couldn't justify getting the MBP. My next step away from Apple was when I bought the Samsung Galaxy S9+ in March. I was getting really frustrated with some of the limitations of iOS (Siri, can't download videos from Safari, being strongly pushed to only use Apple apps, like Apple Maps and Apple Music over Google Maps/Waze and Spotify). The iPhone X was also a couple hundred dollars more than the S9+, which factored into my decision.

I love my S9+, I really do. The features and specs this phone packs in is amazing. The screen is stunning. The speakers with Dolby Atmos are top notch. The build quality and design are very premium. The customization, freedom, and power of choice that this phone and Android give are very liberating. The performance is fast and great besides a few app crashes/freezes (I've had problems with Spotify and YouTube at times). I never realized how much I appreciated the headphone jack until I had it back. My XPS performs great as well and I've had no issues with it.

However, I can't stop considering switching back to the Apple ecosystem. I really, really miss iMessage, AirDrop, iCloud, and the continuity between all my devices. I truly loathe SMS. It's not like other parts of the world where lots of people use WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal, etc. either, which would make replacing iMessage much easier. When it comes to missing AirDrop, I recorded some videos on my S9+, tried sending it to my iPad Pro to edit, which was a huge process in itself, but my iPad also wouldn't accept the file (it was HEVC and incompatible, which is also confusing because Apple has high efficiency photo/video options now in Settings). I uploaded years of pictures to Google Photos, but I hate knowing that I gave up so much info/privacy to Google by doing that, and I just feel the integration with iCloud works better. The whole privacy issue is constantly in the back of my mind with my all my main internet browsing being on Windows and Android. I also have only gotten one single security update since I've had my S9+, which worries me.

I also really miss the creative software Apple produces for macOS. I like messing around in Logic Pro. I've tried Ableton Live, but I much prefer the interface of Logic. I love the interface and workflow of Final Cut Pro much more than Adobe Premiere, and I hate the high monthly cost of Adobe software. As a student, I could get Logic and Final Cut for $200 total, which is a steal, especially since I'd get lifetime upgrades too.

All of this has made me start thinking about selling all my current devices and putting it towards getting an iPhone X/"X2" and a MacBook Pro. However, I'd still have to pay a lot of money to switch over even after selling my devices, and I have some reservations. The MacBook Pro keyboard problems scare me a bit. I'm afraid I'll miss the freedom of Android and Google Assistant. My car also only works with Android Auto, not CarPlay, so I'll really miss that. It also just makes me feel wasteful buying new devices when all my current devices work great.

Any thoughts or experiences you would like to share? I'm dying for some insight here.
I think the root issue is that you were accustomed to Apple leading you down the path of not only what is possible, but the way in which they allow things to get done. The good news for you is that you recognize the freedom opportunity with the alternatives.

It's time to "think different". Outside of such an ecosystem, one must consider WHAT they need to get done and then investigate HOW to get it done. Depending upon how long you've been in Appleland, it can take some time, sometimes a long time, to adjust. In the end, that investment in time will pay off. Not just in high quality devices that cost far less, but in custom-tailoring your workflows to suit your needs.

Sounds like you have a great hardware foundation for this new gadget season. I recommend exploring more, experimenting more, and asking more specific questions in places like this where people can offer different perspectives on how they tackle those tasks... one of those solutions might click with you or give you a direction to go in.

I understand that many people are concerned about privacy. Few realize just how little privacy they have. They think that just because they never created a Facebook account and never visited facebook.com that Facebook doesn't have information on them. They'd be shocked to learn how much info Facebook has on them. Privacy is an issue that transcends ecosystems and operating systems.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Airdrop is nothing special either to be honest. Just use Airdroid.

Used them both, Airdroid pales in comparison for ease of you, with noticeable limitations. If you’re regularly transferring info between Apple devices, AirDrop is so much more seamless than its counterparts on other platforms.
[doublepost=1528823956][/doublepost]

So you’re placing more value on your ability to pick the device you want to use vs. how it may impact your interactions with those around you. That’s not selfish in the slightest. :rolleyes: I’m going to go out in a limb and guess you’re not married nor have kids.

My wife prefers to use Apple, as do my kids. But damn them to hell, I want to use a Galaxy phone and a Chromebook so they better bend to my will or else. :mad::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
Used them both, Airdroid pales in comparison for ease of you, with noticeable limitations. If you’re regularly transferring info between Apple devices, AirDrop is so much more seamless than its counterparts on other platforms.

Tell me how it "pales in comparison"?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Tell me how it "pales in comparison"?

Nearly every Apple device made the last 6 years natively supports AirDrop for transfer out of the box. All I have to do is ask someone to unlock their iPhone, iPad, Mac, maybe flip a setting (if we aren’t already in each others contacts or don’t have it set to ‘everyone’) and we can share most types of data, files, etc. You don’t need to make sure they’re device has a specific helper app that’s also then configured to allow transfers.

Airdroid can transfer a wide variety of data and files but it has to be installed/configured for every single device where you want to use it.

A recent and frequent example where I use it. My son’s basketball team gathered for a team photo after their championship game. I took a series of photos, picked a couple good ones and immediately AirDropped them to any of the parents with iPhones—believe there were 8 or 9. It literally took less than a minute. How would Airdroid have fared in that scenario?

Reactions: nj1266

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Nearly every Apple device made the last 6 years natively supports AirDrop for transfer out of the box. All I have to do is ask someone to unlock their iPhone, iPad, Mac, maybe flip a setting (if we aren’t already in each others contacts or don’t have it set to ‘everyone’) and we can share most types of data, files, etc. You don’t need to make sure they’re device has a specific helper app that’s also then configured to allow transfers.

Airdroid can transfer a wide variety of data and files but it has to be installed/configured for every single device where you want to use it.

A recent and frequent example where I use it. My son’s basketball team gathered for a team photo after their championship game. I took a series of photos, picked a couple good ones and immediately AirDropped them to any of the parents with iPhones—believe there were 8 or 9. It literally took less than a minute. How would Airdroid have fared in that scenario?
One doesn't need a helper app to email the photos from the phone. True, it isn't as elegant as AirDrop but when interacting with non-iOS devices, that's going to be the only way to share photos anyways.

In the general scenario of mixed devices, Apple's proprietary solutions are not a benefit... and can be a detriment because it requires 2 different methods for interacting with others.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
One doesn't need a helper app to email the photos from the phone. True, it isn't as elegant as AirDrop but when interacting with non-iOS devices, that's going to be the only way to share photos anyways.

In the general scenario of mixed devices, Apple's proprietary solutions are not a benefit... and can be a detriment because it requires 2 different methods for interacting with others.

But elegance is the exact reason why AirDrop is better and why it’s listed amongst the reasons why some stay with Apple. It’s a perfect example why some profess a preference for the ecosystem, exactly why the OP is experiencing this dilemma.

Contrary to the often common narrative online, not everyone feels ‘trapped’ in the Apple ecosystem. Apple has some elegant solutions that work better than their competitors and actual create the appeal for living in the Apple ecosystem.

Reactions: MisterMillz

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
But elegance is the exact reason why AirDrop is better and why it’s listed amongst the reasons why some stay with Apple. It’s a perfect example why some profess a preference for the ecosystem, exactly why the OP is experiencing this dilemma.

Contrary to the often common narrative online, not everyone feels ‘trapped’ in the Apple ecosystem. Apple has some elegant solutions that work better than their competitors and actual create the appeal for living in the Apple ecosystem.

Amy reason why Google can’t come up with a competitor message app like iMessage? They can’t do it or don’t care?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Amy reason why Google can’t come up with a competitor message app like iMessage? They can’t do it or don’t care?

To come up with a true iMessage competitor, it'd have to be:
Downloaded on all Android phones (Get ready for those EU lawsuits about how it's anti-competitive)
Centrally administrated by Google (I'm sure the fines wouldn't be that bad)
Work with SMS (Because carriers totally work for user benefit)

Reactions: tbayrgs

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013

But you said airdroid as an app paled in comparison to airdrop. But ok, it's the hassle to install an app you're talking about.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
But you said airdroid as an app paled in comparison to airdrop. But ok, it's the hassle to install an app you're talking about.

I corrected my original statement a few moments after typing the original post to clarify it ‘pales in comparison for ease of use’. And yes, it’s getting people to download the app, sign up for the service and set permissions. It’s doing that every time you’re sharing something to someone for the first time.

It’s the same reason iPhone users choose FaceTime for video chat and Apple Messages (in the US) instead of Skype, Duo, WhatsApp or any number of other third party solutions. The native solution is far more seamless and easy to use.

How do you think that conversation would have gone with the other team parents? "Sure I can share those photos but first, you need to go get the AirDroid app and sign up for an account with them..."

Reactions: nj1266

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think the root issue is that you were accustomed to Apple leading you down the path of not only what is possible, but the way in which they allow things to get done. The good news for you is that you recognize the freedom opportunity with the alternatives.

It's time to "think different". Outside of such an ecosystem, one must consider WHAT they need to get done and then investigate HOW to get it done. Depending upon how long you've been in Appleland, it can take some time, sometimes a long time, to adjust. In the end, that investment in time will pay off. Not just in high quality devices that cost far less, but in custom-tailoring your workflows to suit your needs.
Thinking for yourself…instead of Apple doing your thinking for you.

This is one of the reasons I had such difficulty when coming over to iPhone in 2012. I expected iOS to bend to my will and not to have my will bent to iOS. Consequently, I found third party alternatives and jailbreaking.

But jailbreaking has seen less of a return for me with every version of iOS and Apple continues to assume I am an idiot and shouldn't be allowed to muck around in the internal workings of macOS so I haven't bothered to move past Yosemite on my work Mac.

Despite their limitations, these things are one of the reasons I stay with PowerPC Macs. As well, Apple hasn't offered any new 'features' I've just had to have since iOS 6, so my staying on old versions of iOS isn't just because I want to keep my jailbreaks.

I prefer to make my devices and computers do what I tell them to do, not for me to be told what I can or cannot do with them. My time with the iPhone as a primary device is thus growing short.

Last edited:
Reactions: sracer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.