Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
One doesn't need a helper app to email the photos from the phone. True, it isn't as elegant as AirDrop but when interacting with non-iOS devices, that's going to be the only way to share photos anyways.

In the general scenario of mixed devices, Apple's proprietary solutions are not a benefit... and can be a detriment because it requires 2 different methods for interacting with others.
My friends and family were sharing photos via Google Photos long before I switched away from iPhone.

Reactions: sracer

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
I corrected my original statement a few moments after typing the original post to clarify it ‘pales in comparison for ease of use’. And yes, it’s getting people to download the app, sign up for the service and set permissions. It’s doing that every time you’re sharing something to someone for the first time.

It’s the same reason iPhone users choose FaceTime for video chat and Apple Messages (in the US) instead of Skype, Duo, WhatsApp or any number of other third party solutions. The native solution is far more seamless and easy to use.

How do you think that conversation would have gone with the other team parents? "Sure I can share those photos but first, you need to go get the AirDroid app and sign up for an account with them..."

Yeah yeah it's easy and so on. But seriously people are making things so damn hard. You could just say that you would mail them the pictures.

Reactions: old mac

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I corrected my original statement a few moments after typing the original post to clarify it ‘pales in comparison for ease of use’. And yes, it’s getting people to download the app, sign up for the service and set permissions. It’s doing that every time you’re sharing something to someone for the first time.

It’s the same reason iPhone users choose FaceTime for video chat and Apple Messages (in the US) instead of Skype, Duo, WhatsApp or any number of other third party solutions. The native solution is far more seamless and easy to use.

How do you think that conversation would have gone with the other team parents? "Sure I can share those photos but first, you need to go get the AirDroid app and sign up for an account with them..."

If people weren't such Apple sheep in the first place...
Well I wouldn't purchase a phone just so that I could easily send photos to complete strangers.
Remember when you could bluetooth any file to another Android phone and you couldn't bluetooth anything to an iPhone? Then Apple came up with Airdrop and everyone's jaw dropped lol. Just email the pics, or send them by one of several different methods. People are making this way too hard, like owning an iPhone is the only way to get things done.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Well I wouldn't purchase a phone just so that I could easily send photos to complete strangers.
Remember when you could bluetooth any file to another Android phone and you couldn't bluetooth anything to an iPhone? Then Apple came up with Airdrop and everyone's jaw dropped lol. Just email the pics, or send them by one of several different methods. People are making this way too hard, like owning an iPhone is the only way to get things done.
90% of people don’t care about phones and use what’s default. It’s the reason google pays Apple millions for making google the default search engine even though you can change it. Technically sound people are the vast minority. Solutions that you might find easy like emailing pics are not for the average person.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012

For me it’s iMessage. When your family all has iMessage it’s sweet. Boggles my mind why Google doesn’t create a message app. They either can’t or don’t care.

Reactions: MisterMillz

Hazmat401

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2017
Delaware County, Pa
I was having second thoughts but I am having a hard time figuring out if I should switch back

Samsung pay is far superior than apple pay.... yeah Apple no doubt probaly has better security but I have had no problems nor do I expect them

MST is the way to go along with NFC and until Apple implemtents it.. I think I'm sticking with android for a bit

I have had an iPhone from the 4s all the way to the 7... honestly I got bored and the main reason why I miss the ios ecosystem is the apple watch

I think if I get a Gear S3 it may keep me from swaying back to iOS

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
I was having second thoughts but I am having a hard time figuring out if I should switch back

Samsung pay is far superior than apple pay.... yeah Apple no doubt probaly has better security but I have had no problems nor do I expect them

MST is the way to go along with NFC and until Apple implemtents it.. I think I'm sticking with android for a bit

I have had an iPhone from the 4s all the way to the 7... honestly I got bored and the main reason why I miss the ios ecosystem is the apple watch

I think if I get a Gear S3 it may keep me from swaying back to iOS

I had the Gear S3 with my Note 8. Nice watch but it was pretty buggy. Always losing connection with my watch. I've owned 3 Gear S3s and all of them did it. (Yes, I switch back and forth a lot).

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
Any thoughts or experiences you would like to share? I'm dying for some insight here.
give apps like Airmore or Airdroid a try. What is superior about imessage? just a messaging system except locked to Apple. whatsapp for example has a web interface and seamlessly integrates with phone. Also, explore android "launchers" in the play store if you want to make it different. Smart Launcher, or Microsoft or the one from Nokia really stand out.

Also, as far as sending a file to an idevice has always been difficult wired approach. try airmore and enjoy wirefree experience. the way ios handles files is an abomination. putting files inside app does nothing but make it difficult for users.

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
90% of people don’t care about phones and use what’s default. It’s the reason google pays Apple millions for making google the default search engine even though you can change it. Technically sound people are the vast minority. Solutions that you might find easy like emailing pics are not for the average person.
I think the average person in year 2018 know how to attach files in an email :)

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
<post removed>

I’m going to apologize to the OP for contributing to taking his thread off course. I made my point previously and didn’t need to further reiterate it in additional replies.

He understands how AirDrop may or may not benefit him in day to day use and it’s up to him to decide if it adds enough value or not. I’ll step away now.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Apple's commitment to privacy is the top priority at our house. That alone will keep us in the Apple ecosystem until they betray our trust by selling our data. For others, budget is the top priority. However, the quality of Apple computers has justified the higher initial cost in virtually no need for service and lifespan of 5-7 years. Apple is definitely a little slow to the game with software, but usually does it right in the end. Not even considering leaving Apple world at this time.

The privacy issues are why I'm staying on Apple, even though I really like some of the non Apple hardware out there. Their OS has caught up too and I really don't see much on Android that is compelling, if anything. At this point I don't think it's really about the software anymore, other than personal preference on UI and ecosystem. It seems like the choice is boiling over more and more to things like privacy.

Reactions: decafjava

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
The privacy issues are why I'm staying on Apple, even though I really like some of the non Apple hardware out there. Their OS has caught up too and I really don't see much on Android that is compelling, if anything. At this point I don't think it's really about the software anymore, other than personal preference on UI and ecosystem. It seems like the choice is boiling over more and more to things like privacy.

In which ways does privacy apply?

Reactions: old mac

t.portis

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
Annapolis, MD
Two things for me being "all in" on the Apple ecosystem. First, I just prefer how everything looks and feels. My professional life and personal life are all created and managed on these various devices, so my personal preference is important. Secondly, my family is all in on Apple devices (primarily due to me saying I wasn't going to provide tech support for Windows machines anymore about 8 years ago). iMessage and shared photo albums are at the center of how we interact a lot of days. It all works seamlessly and people don't have to think about it. The grandparents are all on iPads which they find easy to use.

Reactions: sracer and tbayrgs

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Two things for me being "all in" on the Apple ecosystem. First, I just prefer how everything looks and feels. My professional life and personal life are all created and managed on these various devices, so my personal preference is important. Secondly, my family is all in on Apple devices (primarily due to me saying I wasn't going to provide tech support for Windows machines anymore about 8 years ago). iMessage and shared photo albums are at the center of how we interact a lot of days. It all works seamlessly and people don't have to think about it. The grandparents are all on iPads which they find easy to use.

That’s really the only thing that keeps me with Apple is iMessage and shared photo albums. We rarely use our Mac and use our iPads less and less. Our primary hardware is our iPhones. We use the Mac when we need to do a task that the iPad or iPhone can’t do.

Too much emphasis on the privacy.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
The amount of iPhone users who opt for Apple over privacy concerns and then use the Google search engine..:D
It's incredibly hilarious,many of them have GMail accounts, not to mention the fact that the very Networks they are on sell their data to this is a topic I keep raising over and over with these people who are supposedly all about privacy. The very pipes they use to transfer their "private data" give them up daily

Anyone who preaches privacy yet uses a general network like Verizon, AT&T, Vodafone, [insert Network], without any sort of equipment, VPNs etc... is clutching at straws, they lost their privacy the day they signed their contract/got the Sim card.

It is absolutely adorable of them to think they have privacy though I'll give them that.

You'd think we were still in the pre-Snowden era. LOL.

Rather accept the truth than blabber absolute ignorance.

Last edited:
Reactions: koigirl

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
I think the privacy thing is over hyped. What I mean by privacy is Google gets to know your search personality and whenever you search Google brings up different suggestions based on your interests etc. I like this with YouTube. There are many videos I would have never found if Google didn’t know my interest and search personality.
I fail to see how that isn't helpful.

old mac

Suspended
May 16, 2011
What I am saying is that I have never read any report that because an Android device was slow in delivering a security patch, it caused a device to be compromised. If it happened as much as people on this forum like to spread FUD about it, then it would have showed up somewhere in the tech media at some point. So you can make that a reason not to move away from Apple, your choice. I like to look at things a bit more holistically.
[doublepost=1528819284][/doublepost]
Your right it is FUD. My last phone was a S4, I used for four years. I never had a problem with it. My sister put a new battery in it, and it replaced her iphone. It isn't just me. I know a lot of people with similar stories.

I do admit I never trusted it with banking, and never had anything illegal or too embarrassing on it.

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
To come up with a true iMessage competitor, it'd have to be:
Downloaded on all Android phones (Get ready for those EU lawsuits about how it's anti-competitive)
Centrally administrated by Google (I'm sure the fines wouldn't be that bad)
Work with SMS (Because carriers totally work for user benefit)
How is that any different than iMessage?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
It's incredibly hilarious,many of them have GMail accounts, not to mention the fact that the very Networks they are on sell their data to this is a topic I keep raising over and over with these people who are supposedly all about privacy. The very pipes they use to transfer their "private data" give them up daily

Anyone who preaches privacy yet uses a general network like Verizon, AT&T, Vodafone, [insert Network], without any sort of equipment, VPNs etc... is clutching at straws, they lost their privacy the day they signed their contract/got the Sim card.

It is absolutely adorable of them to think they have privacy though I'll give them that.

You'd think we were still in the pre-Snowden era. LOL.

Rather accept the truth than blabber absolute ignorance.

It is rather hilarious. The privacy thing is way over hyped. Isn’t Google Safari default search engine? Yea you can choose your search engine but even you chose Yahoo or Bing it’s the same.

Someone please explain how Apple Privacy is private.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
It is rather hilarious. The privacy thing is way over hyped. Isn’t Google Safari default search engine? Yea you can choose your search engine but even you chose Yahoo or Bing it’s the same.

Someone please explain how Apple Privacy is private.

As I have said before, there are many who come down to this forum with no real intention to get an Android, but rather to try convince themselves of their decision..... Or maybe they are trying to compensate for something or trying to fill some empty void in their life? I don't know what it is honestly, but they then try then come up with stupid things like "Privacy"

I have to say though, Apple do the best job of convincing people that their data is truly private, I absolutely love it :D yet when I pull my reports in all the digital platforms I work on (Google AdWords, DoubleClick, Facebook Advertising (incl. Instagram), Twitter, Oath etc...) I can breakdown by OS and I can gather some incredible insights on people using Android, iOS etc... while the fan boys preach "Privacy"

With regards to your last sentence, watch someone come here with some sort of Apple statement, LOL. Not realising it's as good as taking a politicians word.

Let them eat up what they want to believe. Microsoft once said don't be evil like Google, now they sell Samsung Galaxy phones

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Your right it is FUD. My last phone was a S4, I used for four years. I never had a problem with it. My sister put a new battery in it, and it replaced her iphone. It isn't just me. I know a lot of people with similar stories.

I do admit I never trusted it with banking, and never had anything illegal or too embarrassing on it.
I did mobile banking on my android phones and never had any issues and don’t do illegal stuff anyway.

Also even though I’m an Apple user I’m not bothered about privacy. I don’t have anything to hide and in this digital age nothing is private. Everything leaves a footprint wether we like it or not.
[doublepost=1528921512][/doublepost]
How is that any different than iMessage?
Not fussed about iMessage either. I had two staunch iMessage users in my family, my mum and my cousin. Tried to set my mum up on what’s app but she wasn’t getting the memo. Went on for years. Then a few months ago she suddenly started messaging me using what’s app and doesn’t use iMessage anymore. My cousin sent me a message on what’sapp a few days ago so I guess she’s not using iMessage anymore.

Everyone I communicate with uses what’s app now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.