Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
What smart watches are the best on Android? Anything similar to the functionality between the Apple Watch/iPhone you can get with the Pixel/ w years of support?

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
Not fussed about iMessage either. I had two staunch iMessage users in my family, my mum and my cousin. Tried to set my mum up on what’s app but she wasn’t getting the memo. Went on for years. Then a few months ago she suddenly started messaging me using what’s app and doesn’t use iMessage anymore. My cousin sent me a message on what’sapp a few days ago so I guess she’s not using iMessage anymore.

Everyone I communicate with uses what’s app now.
I need to start using WhatsApp especially on my agency issued phone

old mac

Suspended
May 16, 2011
I did mobile banking on my android phones and never had any issues and don’t do illegal stuff anyway.

Also even though I’m an Apple user I’m not bothered about privacy. I don’t have anything to hide and in this digital age nothing is private. Everything leaves a footprint wether we like it or not.
[doublepost=1528921512][/doublepost]
Not fussed about iMessage either. I had two staunch iMessage users in my family, my mum and my cousin. Tried to set my mum up on what’s app but she wasn’t getting the memo. Went on for years. Then a few months ago she suddenly started messaging me using what’s app and doesn’t use iMessage anymore. My cousin sent me a message on what’sapp a few days ago so I guess she’s not using iMessage anymore.

Everyone I communicate with uses what’s app now.
The reason I don't trust banking, i have some hacked apps side loaded on my phone.

If someone wants to send me a pic, txt or email.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
For me it’s iMessage. When your family all has iMessage it’s sweet. Boggles my mind why Google doesn’t create a message app. They either can’t or don’t care.

They can and did. The issue is not having something like iMessage. There are dozens of messaging apps that do essentially the same thing, from Google and others. In fact, outside the US I don't think most Apple users even use iMessage... they use WhatsApp more in some countries.

The issue is interoperability. Once you introduce someone in the conversation that isn't using the same as the others, it all drops back to SMS/MMS. Still works fine, but images become lower quality and videos become literally unusable. The only solution to this is the industry implementing a replacement for SMS/MMS that is able to support 2018 requirements for messaging. Then the question will be whether Apple will support that as a drop back for the green bubble. It will ultimately be up to Apple because most others I would expect to support it... if the carriers ever get their act together on it. Today they mostly all have proprietary alternatives, and Apple doesn't support them.

I was having second thoughts but I am having a hard time figuring out if I should switch back

Samsung pay is far superior than apple pay.... yeah Apple no doubt probaly has better security but I have had no problems nor do I expect them

MST is the way to go along with NFC and until Apple implemtents it.. I think I'm sticking with android for a bit

I have had an iPhone from the 4s all the way to the 7... honestly I got bored and the main reason why I miss the ios ecosystem is the apple watch

I think if I get a Gear S3 it may keep me from swaying back to iOS

Apple won't implement MST because Samsung owns the technology and patents on it, via an acquisition.

I have a Gear S3 and it is definitely a contributing factor to me having no interest in going back to Apple at this point. I wore an Apple Watch every day for 2 years, and was shocked that I like the Gear S3 as well (and better in many use cases).
[doublepost=1528922514][/doublepost]
Two things for me being "all in" on the Apple ecosystem. First, I just prefer how everything looks and feels. My professional life and personal life are all created and managed on these various devices, so my personal preference is important. Secondly, my family is all in on Apple devices (primarily due to me saying I wasn't going to provide tech support for Windows machines anymore about 8 years ago). iMessage and shared photo albums are at the center of how we interact a lot of days. It all works seamlessly and people don't have to think about it. The grandparents are all on iPads which they find easy to use.

Curious what brings you into a thread about alternatives to iOS, given your account of your current situation?
[doublepost=1528922586][/doublepost]
The reason I don't trust banking, i have some hacked apps side loaded on my phone.

Sounds more like you don't trust "hacked apps side loaded on your phone" than you don't trust "banking".

Reactions: koigirl

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Apple won't implement MST because Samsung owns the technology and patents on it, via an acquisition.

Or maybe more like Apple won’t implement MST because it’s on its way out. The last time I used MST was years ago unless I forget about a single instance of bumping into some odd ancient terminal in the recent years. It’s been NFC and chip for me for years now.

Reactions: tbayrgs

old mac

Suspended
May 16, 2011
Sounds more like you don't trust "hacked apps side loaded on your phone" than you don't trust "banking".
you're right for the most part. I read somewhere that Android has security problems because of the permissions in the apps, even those in the play store. Hacked apps are even worse.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Or maybe more like Apple won’t implement MST because it’s on its way out. The last time I used MST was years ago unless I forget about a single instance of bumping into some odd ancient terminal in the recent years. It’s been NFC and chip for me for years now.
I think they still use magnetic strip readers in the US, but like Finland we haven’t used strip readers for more than 10 years in the UK. Maybe there are some other places in the world that still use the technology to make it worthwhile for samsung?
[doublepost=1528924640][/doublepost]
What smart watches are the best on Android? Anything similar to the functionality between the Apple Watch/iPhone you can get with the Pixel/ w years of support?
I don’t think there is an equivalent in terms of software support. Just look at android wear, that’s almost dead and the gear watches fall prey to the usual samsung attitude to abandoning older devices for their current flagship.

Reactions: Roadstar

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
I think they still use magnetic strip readers in the US, but like Finland we haven’t used strip readers for more than 10 years in the UK. Maybe there are some other places in the world that still use the technology to make it worthwhile for samsung?
There are some terminals that don't take chips but most of the places I frequent do take the chips. Although I think it is a violation of merchant agreements to not accept cards that only have a magnetic stripe. It seems I have read that somewhere.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
[doublepost=1528924640][/doublepost]
I don’t think there is an equivalent in terms of software support. Just look at android wear, that’s almost dead and the gear watches fall prey to the usual samsung attitude to abandoning older devices for their current flagship.

So it's either buy an agnostic one like FitBit or go with an Apple Watch? Damn, I hope Google can make a strong comeback. I don't' like Samsung's lack of support and their hardware gives me issues. I'll pass on the Gears. Might force me to use an iPhone if I want true comfort for the next few years.

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
So it's either buy an agnostic one like FitBit or go with an Apple Watch? Damn, I hope Google can make a strong comeback. I don't' like Samsung's lack of support and their hardware gives me issues. I'll pass on the Gears. Might force me to use an iPhone if I want true comfort for the next few years.
I have an Apple Watch Series 3 that I wear daily and it works great. But it won't keep me with apple in the future if I decide to go to another brand.

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
Phone: I switched to Android in 2014 and I've been super happy with that decision.

Tablet: I tried switching to Android, and went back to an iPad Pro 12.9. The OS is fine but the apps are not, and the hardware is crap compared to Apple. Also, Apple Pencil.

Desktop: I've been mostly using macOS for a decade. Tried to switch to Windows for my main machine and compared to macOS the ecosystem is terrible. Scaling is still unsupported on many apps, and there is a surprising amount of Win32 crap stuff out there. Also the amount of small developers making quality apps in windows is non existent compared to macOS where there are a lot of "boutique" devs.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Phone: I switched to Android in 2014 and I've been super happy with that decision.

Tablet: I tried switching to Android, and went back to an iPad Pro 12.9. The OS is fine but the apps are not, and the hardware is crap compared to Apple. Also, Apple Pencil.

Desktop: I've been mostly using macOS for a decade. Tried to switch to Windows for my main machine and compared to macOS the ecosystem is terrible. Scaling is still unsupported on many apps, and there is a surprising amount of Win32 crap stuff out there. Also the amount of small developers making quality apps in windows is non existent compared to macOS where there are a lot of "boutique" devs.

I’m probably going to get the next Pixel after being with the iPhone since the first iPhone. But not sure. All my family have iMessage. iMessage is light years ahead of what Android has to offer.

As far as pads and desktops, I honestly hardly ever use our Mac and iPad. I do most of my tasks on my iPhone. I only use our Mac if a task needs to be done that can’t be done on my iPhone which isn’t much.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I think the average person in year 2018 know how to attach files in an email :)
I work in IT, you would be surprised at the amount that don’t..
[doublepost=1528930921][/doublepost]The main advantage of iMessage is the integration with SMS. You can message anyone no matter what phone. I don’t get why other apps don’t integrate SMS.

Reactions: 4RunnerHeaven

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
iMessage is light years ahead of what Android has to offer.

You are probably in the US, right?

It's the only country where SMS is still used regularly and is one of the main reasons I've seen people don't want to leave iMessages.

The rest of the world is using Whatsapp since Android is so much more prevalent.

Reactions: Zaft

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
You are probably in the US, right?

It's the only country where SMS is still used regularly and is one of the main reasons I've seen people don't want to leave iMessages.

The rest of the world is using Whatsapp since Android is so much more prevalent.

My wife has family in France and whenever we visit I don’t know anyone who uses iMessage. Everyone seems to use WhatsApp even if they have iPhones.

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Yep, outside of the US not even iOS users use iMessage.
Strange it's so hyped in the US isn't it. I only used iMessage for SMS, I didn't trust it not to rip me off with charges for sending photos to non-iPhones. I couldn't be doing with looking out for blue bubbles all the time. Whatsapp all the way.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I work in IT, you would be surprised at the amount that don’t..
[doublepost=1528930921][/doublepost]The main advantage of iMessage is the integration with SMS. You can message anyone no matter what phone. I don’t get why other apps don’t integrate SMS.

Why? Simple. iMessage is good only for isolated country like US.

If I am an android user, I'll be pissed when I incur expensive roaming SMS cost when I receive SMSes from iPhone users.

I'll be more pissed as an iPhone user, when I am charged expensive roaming charges when Imessage unknowing to me send SMSes.

It is not that no one can program something like imessage, but just that others are not as blind as apple which thinks the rest of the world operates the same way as US.

Last edited:
Reactions: pier

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Strange it's so hyped in the US isn't it. I only used iMessage for SMS, I didn't trust it not to rip me off with charges for sending photos to non-iPhones. I couldn't be doing with looking out for blue bubbles all the time. Whatsapp all the way.

I think it's tied to low data costs but surprisingly high SMS costs outside of the US. I could be wrong, though.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I think it's tied to low data costs but surprisingly high SMS costs outside of the US. I could be wrong, though.

Well at least in Finland many subscriptions come with unlimited SMS/MMS, so cost isn’t that much of an issue. People use WhatsApp as it’s just more convenient when you can have working group chats and send images in good quality without having to care if the other person is running iOS or Android (or Windows Phone back when it was still a thing).

Reactions: koigirl

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012

If you have unlimited data you don’t need to worry about data charges etc.

What’s good about iMessage especially if you have kids is you know that the message was delivered and read. You can also set up where they’re located. It’s also nice to know when someone is responding to your text.

Reactions: tbayrgs

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
If you have unlimited data you don’t need to worry about data charges etc.

What’s good about iMessage especially if you have kids is you know that the message was delivered and read. You can also set up where they’re located. It’s also nice to know when someone is responding to your text.

A lot of carriers still charge a per message price when you send using MMS to non-iPhone users, and this is different and separate charge to unlimited data and unlimited texts. It's why iOS has an option to disable sending MMS messages to devices not on Apple Messages.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
A lot of carriers still charge a per message price when you send using MMS to non-iPhone users, and this is different and separate charge to unlimited data and unlimited texts. It's why iOS has an option to disable sending MMS messages to devices not on Apple Messages.

Which carriers charge a per MMS charge?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.