Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I have iPad pro 10.5" but find it too heavy. But iPad Mini was too small. I also Have Samsung S3 tab 9.7 which is just right. Both have stylus pen but prefer S3 there also. Using S3 for Excel.

That means I rarely use my MacBook 2016. Main phone is iPhone X but also Essential PH1 which I like, has been out with system and security updates, and now beta P as well.

I tried Surface Pro but Windows 10 was a huge letdown. I do like to have variety and options. And devies that give me spare backup if need be.

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Everyone has different use cases. You apparently didn't use the Surface Pro to its full extent, or it wouldn't be so easy to go back. There no equivalent project to either the Surface Pro or Note 8 in Appleland.
Trust me, I used the Surface Pro "to its full extent". Sadly, the "full extent" of that device is hampered by an atrocious operating system that doesn't work properly with a device manufactured by the same company. Microsoft has had five iterations and the same number of years to get this right, yet still it is riddled with issues. Blue screens of death, "hot bag" syndrome, "FlickerGate" screen issues, a complete inability to properly sleep, battery drain issues… The list goes on and on and on.

Seriously, I love the hardware. Love it. The design is beautiful, practical and versatile. I adore the kickstand and Alcantara type cover. It makes the Smart Keyboard look like the floppy, overpriced piece of junk it is. All that is worthless, however, when it simply does not work properly.

Every time I switched it on I would wonder whether it would wake up. Half the time the pen buttons wouldn't do anything. The other half of the time the pen itself wouldn't work either. And don't get me started on scaling issues… 1080p monitor? Get ready for giant icons/toolbars and being forced to logout with all your currently running apps open because Windows still in 2018 cannot scale the UI properly.

Don't get me started on the quality control issues. I had six different Surface Pro's, all riddled with issues or faults. One of them had white blotches on the screen the second it was turned on, another a vertical row of dead pixels and on a third, the glass was physically detached from the screen out of the box. The return rates on these things must be horrific.

I've never owned a device so fantastic and maddeningly frustrating at the same time. Microsoft push firmware updates to the damn thing as if they are no more than security patches. Yet, even as late as last week, I would get a blue screen of death while the machine was effectively idle, not under load, and with a different error code from the previous ones. Again, I love the concept but the execution is a disaster.

And not everyone wants their phone messages popping up on their computer screen. If I did, both Samsung's SideSync and Cortana provide sycing, albeit not quite as good as iMessage. But like I said, I don't want that on my computer.
Fair enough. But for those of us who do want those things, the likes of SideSync aren't a solution as, again, it doesn't work most of the time. Aside from the fact Samsung is deprecating it (and its replacement apparently doesn't work either, judging from reviews), PushBullet is probably a better solution. Haven't used Cortana, so can't judge it either way.

You mentioned the AW is killer. I had one for 2 years and liked it but I'd hardly call it killer. In fact, I was shocked that I love the Gear S3. All the things you mentioned I find to be a better experience on the Gear S3 than the AW, largely because of the navigation and rotating bezel. And in the US, Samsung Pay is taken at way more places because of MST... we still have a lot of older terminals.

So a lot of this depends on personal needs and preferences.
It's not just personal needs and preferences, it's also circumstance and geography. Here in the UK, Samsung Pay supports virtually no major bank so it's a dead end. The only options here are Apple Pay and Google Pay, which also rules out the Gear S3 as it runs Tizen, not Android (so no Google Pay). It's also a dead platform - Samsung is rumoured to be ditching it for their next round of smartwatches. Like the Surface, it's really nice hardware hobbled by the platform it's on – if I am going to replace an Apple Watch, there have to be no compromises.

The Android Wear alternatives are all compromised at present – they are either lacking certain functionality, running old hardware or both and the platform itself seems to lack any clear direction.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
What if you’re primarily a phone user and maybe an occasional desk top / pad user? There’s lots of people who use their phones as a primary means of tasks. Of course there are times when you need to do tasks on a desk top / lap top that you’re phone can’t do.

I guess if I’m wanting a smart watch then it looks like the Apple system might be the best option.

How is the Android phone / smartwatch option vs the Apple option?

After 2 years wearing an Apple Watch daily, I have been (very surprisingly) happy with the Gear S3. I find the UI and rotating bezel interface to work so much better, especially with sweaty hands in the gym or running. It doesn't have nearly as many apps, but the ones I used most were the main apps that come on it anyway.

I’m gravitating towards the iPad for mainstream office work , even spreadsheets which I thought an iPad was incapable of ..

Since my mini packed up due to a fusion drive failure , completely out of the blue , unless a Mac has an ssd I’m not interested at all.

The stability of iOS is so impressive and when things go wrong you don’t have to resort to archaic complex unix commands..

Not sure what kind of work you do, but for the spreadsheets I work with there is no flipping way I'd want to do it on an iPad. But everyone's needs are different.

Trust me, I used the Surface Pro "to its full extent". Sadly, the "full extent" of that device is hampered by an atrocious operating system that doesn't work properly with a device manufactured by the same company. Microsoft has had five iterations and the same number of years to get this right, yet still it is riddled with issues. Blue screens of death, "hot bag" syndrome, "FlickerGate" screen issues, a complete inability to properly sleep, battery drain issues… The list goes on and on and on.

Seriously, I love the hardware. Love it. The design is beautiful, practical and versatile. I adore the kickstand and Alcantara type cover. It makes the Smart Keyboard look like the floppy, overpriced piece of junk it is. All that is worthless, however, when it simply does not work properly.

Every time I switched it on I would wonder whether it would wake up. Half the time the pen buttons wouldn't do anything. The other half of the time the pen itself wouldn't work either. And don't get me started on scaling issues… 1080p monitor? Get ready for giant icons/toolbars and being forced to logout with all your currently running apps open because Windows still in 2018 cannot scale the UI properly.

Don't get me started on the quality control issues. I had six different Surface Pro's, all riddled with issues or faults. One of them had white blotches on the screen the second it was turned on, another a vertical row of dead pixels and on a third, the glass was physically detached from the screen out of the box. The return rates on these things must be horrific.

I've never owned a device so fantastic and maddeningly frustrating at the same time. Microsoft push firmware updates to the damn thing as if they are no more than security patches. Yet, even as late as last week, I would get a blue screen of death while the machine was effectively idle, not under load, and with a different error code from the previous ones. Again, I love the concept but the execution is a disaster.

Interesting, my experience has been just the opposite. I bought one on launch day and its been reliable and an amazing bit of tech. That added capability I get more than makes up for any bumps I've had along the way... no more really than I've had with other Windows or Mac hardware. I have it docked when at my desk and use it as a note taking tablet, and use a 27" 4K display as my main display. I can grab it and go at any time and it docks/undocks every time and correctly scales. When away from the desk and traveling I go back and forth between having the keyboard attached, and then sometimes removed and use the pen. I love being able to work through takeoff and landing on the plane. I love having a single device that I can travel with that covers all my work and entertainment needs. I love being able to take pen based notes in OneNote on both my devices (Surface Pro and Note 8) that are interoperable. Its too bad you didn't have a good experience with it.

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Interesting, my experience has been just the opposite. I bought one on launch day and its been reliable and an amazing bit of tech. That added capability I get more than makes up for any bumps I've had along the way... no more really than I've had with other Windows or Mac hardware. I have it docked when at my desk and use it as a note taking tablet, and use a 27" 4K display as my main display. I can grab it and go at any time and it docks/undocks every time and correctly scales. When away from the desk and traveling I go back and forth between having the keyboard attached, and then sometimes removed and use the pen. I love being able to work through takeoff and landing on the plane. I love having a single device that I can travel with that covers all my work and entertainment needs. I love being able to take pen based notes in OneNote on both my devices (Surface Pro and Note 8) that are interoperable. Its too bad you didn't have a good experience with it.
A 4K screen may be the solution to the Surface Pro's scaling issues as it closely matches the SP's native display. This thread is useful for anyone thinking of going this route:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/6qordr/24_or_27_4k_w_surface_pro/

It sounds like you got a good one. When you do, it's a glorious bit of kit. There are just so many lemons out there with issues right out of the box. Windows itself seems to cause a lot of these, as this video shows:

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I am mostly a computer person but I do have my trusty iPad Mini 2 to keep up on things when I’m not at the Windows 10 computer. Each system has its advantages and disadvantages. But iPad sure is nice.

100% agree. My mini 2 is the perfect tablet albeit being a little slower these days. Hoping iOS 12 breathes new life into it.

Compliments my red 7 perfectly.

I’d go to android happily come upgrade time but I’d always want my iPad to hand to keep one foot in the iOS camp.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Fair enough. But for those of us who do want those things, the likes of SideSync aren't a solution as, again, it doesn't work most of the time. Aside from the fact Samsung is deprecating it (and its replacement apparently doesn't work either, judging from reviews), PushBullet is probably a better solution. Haven't used Cortana, so can't judge it either way.

It's not just personal needs and preferences, it's also circumstance and geography. Here in the UK, Samsung Pay supports virtually no major bank so it's a dead end. The only options here are Apple Pay and Google Pay, which also rules out the Gear S3 as it runs Tizen, not Android (so no Google Pay). It's also a dead platform - Samsung is rumoured to be ditching it for their next round of smartwatches. Like the Surface, it's really nice hardware hobbled by the platform it's on – if I am going to replace an Apple Watch, there have to be no compromises.

The Android Wear alternatives are all compromised at present – they are either lacking certain functionality, running old hardware or both and the platform itself seems to lack any clear direction.
It's funny my own experience could not be further from yours and my SP4 behaved admirable so much so my middle son ditched Apple after 15 years and jumped on to MS SP4 and could not be happier My youngest now has my old SP4 to replace his MBP 15" that was plagued with cooling and shutdown issues

As for watches I was completely dumb struct be the front page article on MR that the Apple watch did not even cover let alone new improvements on IOS re do not disturb time that most of Samsung users have enjoyed for years

As ever YMMV but ……..

Last edited:

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
I'm using a Note 8 and it wasn't cheap. You're kind of perpetuating the myth that only those who cannot afford iPhones buy Android. I could have got an iPhone 8 Plus for less money but, bizarrely, I still chose to get an Android and miss out on iMessage.
I can't believe people actually believe that myth. I haven't used an Android as my personal device in a few years but when I did it wasn't because I couldn't afford an iPhone.

Reactions: Regime2008

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
After 2 years wearing an Apple Watch daily, I have been (very surprisingly) happy with the Gear S3. I find the UI and rotating bezel interface to work so much better, especially with sweaty hands in the gym or running. It doesn't have nearly as many apps, but the ones I used most were the main apps that come on it anyway.

How well does the Gear S3 integrate with the iPhone?

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
I am in L.E. If somebody’s wallet was stolen, yes, that would be more of an obvious scenario where somebody would be alerted of that right away. Even so, when you have those who panic when their cards are stolen, as I said before; it takes a matter of minutes for somebody do a significant amount of damage in spending with fraud on a credit card. Banks can cancel the cards, but the damage is likely already detrimental and that’s why I was suggesting contactless payment is becoming more primary in eliminating carrying cards, cash, etc. It’s just a safer method in some senses
That is one point as well. I had my wallet phone and Rolex stolen at gun point and was able to use one of my friend's phone to call and shut off my credit cards. Luckily I only had $20 cash or I would have been out more cash. My credit card companies took care of things and the worse part was having a new drivers license and ccw issued.
https://indianexpress.com/article/t...martphone-in-april-2018-counterpoint-5211514/

"This is the first time Samsung’s Galaxy S9+ has dethroned the iPhone X as the world’s best-selling
smartphone"

https://www.t3.com/news/this-is-how-the-samsung-galaxy-s9-beat-the-iphone-x

"New sales figures have confirmed that Samsung beat Apple is smartphone sales in April 2018 with the Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus and Samsung Galaxy S9 out-selling the iPhone X, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus."
Now I want an S9

Applemaniac7

Suspended
Mar 2, 2018
So Cal.
Yea but iMessage is baked into iOS. Why would I need to download a 3rd party message app when I don’t have too. Those in the UK have to pay for MMS if they use iMessage which is the only thing that makes sense to use WhatsApp.
The only thing? Lol. What you meant to say was the first and only reason needed to use whatsapp, I message is dead in the UK for obvious reasons. What' the cost for a mms when you have unlimited data anyways...

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
How well does the Gear S3 integrate with the iPhone?
I think the best "non-Apple" smartwatch for an iPhone right now is probably a FitBit Versa. No other watch will integrate fully as Apple have Messages locked down; you'll get notifications but can't reply to them.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
The only thing? Lol. What you meant to say was the first and only reason needed to use whatsapp, I message is dead in the UK for obvious reasons. What' the cost for a mms when you have unlimited data anyways...

In this day and age there shouldn’t be a charge to send a picture via mms for the amount we pay carriers for our contracts with minutes and data.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
In this day and age there shouldn’t be a charge to send a picture via mms for the amount we pay carriers for our contracts with minutes and data.

We'll, what that fee it should do is serve as a reminder that using MMS to share media is the last method you should use considering the limitations and how many better sharing options are available. :D

Reactions: jr866gooner

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
We'll, what that fee it should do is serve as a reminder that using MMS to share media is the last method you should use considering the limitations and how many better sharing options are available. :D

No extra charge in Australia for MMS. Everyone has unlimited text/mms.

Reactions: jr866gooner

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
This is the problem with wanting to switch ecosystems / operating systems after being invested into one for so long. The simplicity of Apple and how all their devices are what have kept them going for so long to be entirely honest. Plus when you've been in the ecosystem for so long it's hard to switch to an entirely different one as all your purchases in the App Store and iTunes are pretty much useless, and all that iCloud storage you've been paying monthly for (if you have an upgraded storage plan) is down the drain. This is why I'm sticking with the Apple ecosystem for the life of the company and I'll only switch if I'm forced to.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
This is the problem with wanting to switch ecosystems / operating systems after being invested into one for so long. The simplicity of Apple and how all their devices are what have kept them going for so long to be entirely honest. Plus when you've been in the ecosystem for so long it's hard to switch to an entirely different one as all your purchases in the App Store and iTunes are pretty much useless, and all that iCloud storage you've been paying monthly for (if you have an upgraded storage plan) is down the drain. This is why I'm sticking with the Apple ecosystem for the life of the company and I'll only switch if I'm forced to.
People make a much bigger thing of it than they need to or should do. Apple cloud space costs peanuts and it's a monthly fee, so why does swapping mean that you lose money? App purchases need to be written off but they will still be there if you decide to go back. I have a ton of paid for apps on both systems but that just gives me more choice. With the amount of money you spend on Apple products what difference does buying some new apps make? I refused to let that stop me jumping ship. Nobody holds me to ransom.

Reactions: Regime2008

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
People make a much bigger thing of it than they need to or should do. Apple cloud space costs peanuts and it's a monthly fee, so why does swapping mean that you lose money? App purchases need to be written off but they will still be there if you decide to go back. I have a ton of paid for apps on both systems but that just gives me more choice. With the amount of money you spend on Apple products what difference does buying some new apps make? I refused to let that stop me jumping ship. Nobody holds me to ransom.

Yea I agree. Extra iCloud space for me costs $10 a year which is peanuts. As far as paid apps I have a lot too and it would be just a right off like you said.

To me Apple’s ecosystem consists of Photos, iMessage and other storage which can easily be transferred to Android.

I only use our desktop when my iPhone can’t do a task that my desktop can. If I get an iMessage while I’m on my desktop I prefer to respond on my iPhone anyway. Even if I’m on my iPad.

If I’m ever going to want a smart watch it looks like the ecosystem between the iPhone and Apple Watch is the best. But I’m not wanting a smartwatch.

Reactions: sunking101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.