Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Lack of software support on android is shocking especially when you compare it ti iOS. The S7 was released in 2016 and won't get updated to android P, a 2018 OS.

Some of the budget phones/ midrange phones released this year will never get updated at all.

I’ve heard that the Pixel support is good.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
The huawei P20 lite won’t get android P.
Ive never used that phone but like I said, I'm pretty sure it will still have more software features then the equivalent iPhone by then anyway. Updates are not everything, its just a small part of the experience. Its also about what a person wants in a phone, I will take a S9+ with Zero updates over an iPhone X with that locked down OS, no matter how many updates it gets.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Yes pixel’s now get 3 years software support.

If I’m getting an Android the only one I would get is the Pixel. It’s almost like the iPhones counterpart. But the rub is if I ever want to get s smartwatch. I believe Apple owns the playing field in the mobile phone to smartwatch game.

geraldem

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2015
Because moving all of my photos out of iCloud is an effort in itself. Then there are the hundreds of movie and TV shows I’ve purchased from iTunes that couldn’t be accessed on another platform.
Try the app Movies Anywhere. All movies that you purchased on Apple, Android, Amazon..etc, all available in one place. It syncs them all, and makes all of them avail/downloadable across any platform.

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
Meh who cares, I don't know any people who don't upgrade after 2 years anyway as it falls in line with the carrier contracts. Just like all the fuss over security on android, I've never had an issue with it and I've not heard of anyone who has. Complete non issues that get totally blown out of proportion by apple users.
The longest I have kept a phone is 18 months but typically it is 1 year. I agree that after 2 years who cares
Security updates don’t really bother me. However if you buy a midrange phone in 2018 I’d expect it to get android p at least.
This is a case of getting what you pay for
Yes and most midrange 2018 Android phones will get Android P. Hell even my S8 will get Android P. The thing is even if it didn't I'm not fussed, its runs like a dream on Oreo and still has 10x the software features of an Apple device. Also both my S8 and S9 are running the latest security patches too so happy days. :)
Not to mention I don't have to worry about a software update ruining my phone like apple did with throttling the processor in older devices and I am speaking from experience here because I was affected by it
I’ve heard that the Pixel support is good.
I never had a problem with Pixel support neither has anyone I know
Yes pixel’s now get 3 years software support.
I didn't realize it was at 3 years now
Try the app Movies Anywhere. All movies that you purchased on Apple, Android, Amazon..etc, all available in one place. It syncs them all, and makes all of them avail/downloadable across any platform.
I was never able to get that to work but I will try it again. My sister is over for the weekend and I had a chance to play with her OnePlus 6 and it is a fantastic piece of hardware for the price so I might be trying one out

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I think I am going begrudgingly re-up with iOS. Google's QC is suspect. Main reason why I will go with iOS is because of the Apple Watch. Nothing good on the Android side. Don't think I want to use Fitbit due to the lack formal integration. Canned responses isn't something I was thinking about for message replies. Got the AW S1 on clearance.

I think I rather just stay comfortable with support and ease of mind. Will have to let go of my desires for innovation, substantial software changes, etc. Just gotta hope for the best on iOS 12 and the 2018 iPhone.

If you have admittedly stated you don’t like iOS on phone, why would you get one? And settle in with something you don’t like? Wear OS is not dead. Two new LG devices have passed through the FCC and there are rumors for a Pixel Watch. Also, check out the Ticwatch that hasn’t released yet. It looks pretty cool and actually looks like a watch instead of a shrunken iPhone.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Lack of software support on android is shocking especially when you compare it ti iOS. The S7 was released in 2016 and won't get updated to android P, a 2018 OS.

Some of the budget phones/ midrange phones released this year will never get updated at all.
In my book that's a positive. O/S upgrades bring VERY little to the table except a drop in speed and battery life.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
The Samsung Gear S3 is on par imo.

Yeah, it depends on your priorities and services available in your region. For sleep tracking the Gear S3 Frontier I had was superior compared to the Apple Watch, but as Samsung Pay isn’t available here but Apple Pay is, I couldn’t do payments with the Gear S3 and ended up trading it for a Series 3 Apple Watch.

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
In my book that's a positive. O/S upgrades bring VERY little to the table except a drop in speed and battery life.
That is why I don't criticize Android OEMs for not pushing updates like apple. After the experience I had with an iOS update throttling the processor on my iPhone I changed my mindset
Yeah, it depends on your priorities and services available in your region. For sleep tracking the Gear S3 Frontier I had was superior compared to the Apple Watch, but as Samsung Pay isn’t available here but Apple Pay is, I couldn’t do payments with the Gear S3 and ended up trading it for a Series 3 Apple Watch.
My Garmin Forerunner was better at sleep tracking than my Apple Watch Series 3. I am considering getting a Garmin Forerunner 935 but the ability to send and receive iMessages from my apple watch is keeping me with an apple watch for now

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
I've decided to go back to Apple and picked up a second hand X to hold me over till the new plus is released. Then I will pay cash for it and sell my X. Selling my Note 8 now on Swappa.
I think this is the problem with a lot of Apple users who cry that it's expensive. You really must have the latest and greatest Apple widget which is how Apple milks money from those buyers. I waited several years to get a 6S then bought one as a refurb so it's much, much cheaper. Also, if you're running various apps on the MBP then you need to ask yourself if you really need the top end, most expensive MBP. You can easily get buy using those tools on lower spec'd or older MBPs for the simply flaw that all laptops have - engaging the jet engine fans when the app is run under stress. Most people likely rarely engage the laptop causing fans to run at high speed. If you do then you really should be using a desktop computer for such tasks. Ergo, expensive laptops are a waste of money for most purposes so stick with the cheap, older Macs and you're good to go.

It's simple and straightforward to save money in the Apple environment by not running with the crowd.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
If you have admittedly stated you don’t like iOS on phone, why would you get one? And settle in with something you don’t like? Wear OS is not dead. Two new LG devices have passed through the FCC and there are rumors for a Pixel Watch. Also, check out the Ticwatch that hasn’t released yet. It looks pretty cool and actually looks like a watch instead of a shrunken iPhone.

I got the 8+ as a gift. It makes sense to ride it out then I can explore upgrading to another model. Can we really expect Google to overhaul Wear OS with how LG, Samsung, and others support their products? I think just conforming to the Apple way of doing things just lets me focus on other important things in life and not have to worry about switching to other products just because I like the phone software.

Prefer the Google Pixel software, but do not like the idea of the product support being only limited to two years along with possible QC issues. Apple also has a hardware advantage with their FaceID, processors, etc. My next phone after that will be reserved for a 5G device in 2020 or 2021. Don't want to think about 2020 or 2021.

Reactions: Wildo6882

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
I think this is the problem with a lot of Apple users who cry that it's expensive. You really must have the latest and greatest Apple widget which is how Apple milks money from those buyers. I waited several years to get a 6S then bought one as a refurb so it's much, much cheaper.
That is how apple makes their money

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
I think this is the problem with a lot of Apple users who cry that it's expensive. You really must have the latest and greatest Apple widget which is how Apple milks money from those buyers. I waited several years to get a 6S then bought one as a refurb so it's much, much cheaper. Also, if you're running various apps on the MBP then you need to ask yourself if you really need the top end, most expensive MBP. You can easily get buy using those tools on lower spec'd or older MBPs for the simply flaw that all laptops have - engaging the jet engine fans when the app is run under stress. Most people likely rarely engage the laptop causing fans to run at high speed. If you do then you really should be using a desktop computer for such tasks. Ergo, expensive laptops are a waste of money for most purposes so stick with the cheap, older Macs and you're good to go.

It's simple and straightforward to save money in the Apple environment by not running with the crowd.

Oh, I would of been happy with a 7 plus or 8 plus even, but the prices weren't that far off from the X being used. So, I went ahead and got the X, and figured I would either sell it to help pay for the plus (as the X is really to small for me), or give it to a family member to upgrade their 7.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Doesn’t work in the UK unfortunately.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
But elegance is the exact reason why AirDrop is better and why it’s listed amongst the reasons why some stay with Apple. It’s a perfect example why some profess a preference for the ecosystem, exactly why the OP is experiencing this dilemma.

Contrary to the often common narrative online, not everyone feels ‘trapped’ in the Apple ecosystem. Apple has some elegant solutions that work better than their competitors and actual create the appeal for living in the Apple ecosystem.

Apple fans may not feel trapped but they are usually all in on Apple that they don't even know what is possible outside of Apple. With android you can tap to send with NFC.
[doublepost=1529302939][/doublepost]
Yeah getting 8 or 9 email addresses from parents at a game is convenient.

Most Apple users care about privacy so when they setup airdrop, they would have set it to only receive files from people in their contacts list only.

So step one in using AirDrop is to get 8 or 9 email addresses from the parents at the game ...
[doublepost=1529304294][/doublepost]
This chart showing average sale price of Android vs. iPhones shows the disparity. There is no iPhone option at the low end—having Apple Messages is not their primary concern.

View attachment 766235

That chart is for worldwide, not USA. Tell me which USA carrier sells an android phone that is $200

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.