Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Have any links to back that up? My initial search repeatedly shows S9 numbers are lagging previous generations across the board, and especially worse in Samsung’s own South Korean home market.

And of course the S9 likely outsells the iPhone during the first month or two of its launch, vs. the 6th and 7th month of the X’s launch. That’s as shocking as stating the iPhone outsells the Galaxy in Oct/Nov.

You are correct it is only because of the launch month, and even that it only managed to be a .3% difference over the iPhone X.

Slow Galaxy S9 sales may lead to a drop in profits for Samsung, according to analysts
https://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-profit-drop-low-flagship-sales-analysts_id105782

Samsung to See a Profit Loss Due to Sluggish Galaxy S9 & Galaxy S9 Plus Sales
https://wccftech.com/samsung-profit-loss-low-galaxy-s9-sales/

Samsung’s Q2 profits expected to drop as full-year Galaxy S9 sales forecast shrinks to 30 mil
http://pocketnow.com/2018/06/13/samsung-q2-profit-drop-galaxy-s9-sales-forecast

Analysts forecast Galaxy S9 Sales will likely be the slowest since Samsung's 2012 Galaxy S3
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...he-slowest-since-samsungs-2012-galaxy-s3.html

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
People make a much bigger thing of it than they need to or should do. Apple cloud space costs peanuts and it's a monthly fee, so why does swapping mean that you lose money? App purchases need to be written off but they will still be there if you decide to go back. I have a ton of paid for apps on both systems but that just gives me more choice. With the amount of money you spend on Apple products what difference does buying some new apps make? I refused to let that stop me jumping ship. Nobody holds me to ransom.
Because moving all of my photos out of iCloud is an effort in itself. Then there are the hundreds of movie and TV shows I’ve purchased from iTunes that couldn’t be accessed on another platform.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
That makes sense but I prefer not to have to put my Mac or iPad down

I always have my iPhone with me. When I’m on my Mac I’m not on there for long just enough to complete a task. As far as iPad my iPhone X has pretty much replaced my iPad.

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
I’ve purchased from iTunes that couldn’t be accessed on another platform.
I stopped purchasing from iTunes when I went to Android the first time
Because I use my iPhone X for 98% of tasks and therefore used to using, typing etc on my iPhone.
I always have my iPhone with me. When I’m on my Mac I’m not on there for long just enough to complete a task. As far as iPad my iPhone X has pretty much replaced my iPad.
I see your point I was just asking

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Because moving all of my photos out of iCloud is an effort in itself. Then there are the hundreds of movie and TV shows I’ve purchased from iTunes that couldn’t be accessed on another platform.

And most of those movies have now been upgraded to 4K and Dolby atomos for free.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
You can seriously only access iTunes purchased material via an Apple device? That's scandalous if correct. Thankfully I've never used iTunes other than to set up an iPhone. I'm a vinyl and CD man, with Spotify premium for the kitchen and patio so stored digital music has never been my thing. If I watch a film then it's a BluRay or DVD so I have no ties to iTunes. How often do you watch things you've already watched before though? Are they all essential?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
You can seriously only access iTunes purchased material via an Apple device? That's scandalous if correct. Thankfully I've never used iTunes other than to set up an iPhone. I'm a vinyl and CD man, with Spotify premium for the kitchen and patio so stored digital music has never been my thing. If I watch a film then it's a BluRay or DVD so I have no ties to iTunes. How often do you watch things you've already watched before though? Are they all essential?

Same. All my music is on Spotify. I’m pretty much cross platform except Photos which is easy to transfer if I ever got a Pixel. I’m pretty much all google because it’s cross platform.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London

Not much of an alternative to iTunes movie store.
Having all your tv shows and movies on all your iPhones, iPads, macs and Apple TVs, it’s not so terrible, in fact a lot of consumers prefer it.
When Apple launched the the HD Apple TV they upgraded all my movies to 1080p for free and they just announced at WWDC that they upgraded all purchased movies again, to 4K with Dolby atmos again for free.

Reactions: sunking101

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Music purchased on iTunes can be used on non apple devices. The music can be transferred using drag and drop with a PC/mac or uploaded to a cloud service like google music. It’s a bit of a faff on (done it before when I switched to android).

The problem is with TV shows/movies purchased from iTunes. They have DRM on them and can only be viewed on an Apple device or on iTunes on a windows PC but I have no interest in using a windows computer ever again. However in terms of mobile devices like phones and tablets, you can only view the media on an iPhone or iPad or an Apple TV.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Music purchased on iTunes can be used on non apple devices. The music can be transferred using drag and drop with a PC/mac or uploaded to a cloud service like google music. It’s a bit of a faff on (done it before when I switched to android).

The problem is with TV shows/movies purchased from iTunes. They have DRM on them and can only be viewed on an Apple device or on iTunes on a windows PC but I have no interest in using a windows computer ever again. However in terms of mobile devices like phones and tablets, you can only view the media on an iPhone or iPad or an Apple TV.

Not sure if the service is available in the UK but check out Movies Anywhere. It will allow you to have access to much of your DRM purchased content (Google Play, iTunes, Vudu, Amazon and Fandango Now, I believe) across all of the other platforms. So the movies I previously bought on iTunes automatically are in my Google Play, Amazon, and Vudu libraries as well. It's terrific.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Not sure if the service is available in the UK but check out Movies Anywhere. It will allow you to have access to much of your DRM purchased content (Google Play, iTunes, Vudu, Amazon and Fandango Now, I believe) across all of the other platforms. So the movies I previously bought on iTunes automatically are in my Google Play, Amazon, and Vudu libraries as well. It's terrific.
We don’t have movies anywhere in the UK yet. But sounds amazing.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I think I am going begrudgingly re-up with iOS. Google's QC is suspect. Main reason why I will go with iOS is because of the Apple Watch. Nothing good on the Android side. Don't think I want to use Fitbit due to the lack formal integration. Canned responses isn't something I was thinking about for message replies. Got the AW S1 on clearance.

I think I rather just stay comfortable with support and ease of mind. Will have to let go of my desires for innovation, substantial software changes, etc. Just gotta hope for the best on iOS 12 and the 2018 iPhone.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Lack of software support on android is shocking especially when you compare it ti iOS. The S7 was released in 2016 and won't get updated to android P, a 2018 OS.

Some of the budget phones/ midrange phones released this year will never get updated at all.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Lack of software support on android is shocking especially when you compare it ti iOS. The S7 was released in 2016 and won't get updated to android P, a 2018 OS.

Some of the budget phones/ midrange phones released this year will never get updated at all.
Meh who cares, I don't know any people who don't upgrade after 2 years anyway as it falls in line with the carrier contracts. Just like all the fuss over security on android, I've never had an issue with it and I've not heard of anyone who has. Complete non issues that get totally blown out of proportion by apple users.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Meh who cares, I don't know any people who don't upgrade after 2 years anyway as it falls in line with the carrier contracts. Just like all the fuss over security on android, I've never had an issue with it and I've not heard of anyone who has. Complete non issues that get totally blown out of proportion by apple users.
Security updates don’t really bother me. However if you buy a midrange phone in 2018 I’d expect it to get android p at least.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Security updates don’t really bother me. However if you buy a midrange phone in 2018 I’d expect it to get android p at least.
Yes and most midrange 2018 Android phones will get Android P. Hell even my S8 will get Android P. The thing is even if it didn't I'm not fussed, its runs like a dream on Oreo and still has 10x the software features of an Apple device. Also both my S8 and S9 are running the latest security patches too so happy days. :)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yes and most midrange 2018 Android phones will get Android P. Hell even my S8 will get Android P. The thing is even if it didn't I'm not fussed, its runs like a dream on Oreo and still has 10x the software features of an Apple device. Also both my S8 and S9 are running the latest security patches too so happy days. :)
The huawei P20 lite won’t get android P.

I would expect the S8 to get android P as it only came out last year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.