Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
To save me going though the entire thread, can anyone tell me if screen issues like banding etc was just something that affected some screens and not all? Really tempted to try one out because it does look like a really good phone.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Battery life on my V30 so far.

I did not put my SIM card in it, so in Airplane mode this week. I'm waiting for case and screen protector to arrive before I make it my full time phone.

Unplugged off the charger for 54h 9min so far, with 8h 5m Screen time, and battery life is at 33% left. But this is completely on WiFi. I've been using the phone last few days watching YouTube vid,s and tons of web surfing.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Battery life on my V30 so far.

I did not put my SIM card in it, so in Airplane mode this week. I'm waiting for case and screen protector to arrive before I make it my full time phone.

Unplugged off the charger for 54h 9min so far, with 8h 5m Screen time, and battery life is at 33% left. But this is completely on WiFi. I've been using the phone last few days watching YouTube vid,s and tons of web surfing.

I get about 10 hours SOT with data. It's really quite good. I'm kinda mad that T-Mobile got the V30+ though after they'd told me they wouldn't. LG did too. So now I'm annoyed and thinking about just getting a Note 8.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I get about 10 hours SOT with data. It's really quite good. I'm kinda mad that T-Mobile got the V30+ though after they'd told me they wouldn't. LG did too. So now I'm annoyed and thinking about just getting a Note 8.

the cellular modem in the v30 is that good? And the only difference between the plus and regular v30 is the 128 gb storage and the headphones?

Reactions: Six8

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
the cellular modem in the v30 is that good? And the only difference between the plus and regular v30 is the 128 gb storage and the headphones?
Yeah. I just really wanted the internal storage and the black color. I wanted to see the type of headphones as I can't use the Apple ear buds at all. They won't stay in my ears. Overall, I like the V30 the best in calls and data out of all my devices at this time.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I have had the Nexus 6P for a LONG time ( GREAT phone ), and it's dying on me, and being on T-Mobile and their JoD program, I can get the V30 with $0 money down, and keep my monthly payment the same. I just ordered it today, coming this week. I need a new phone bad, as my 6P is flaking, random restarting and poor battery life last couple of months. The 6P has been amazing great up until the past several months, but then started getting old fast and unstable. And yes I have tried several different ROM's and my 6P is done.

I was ( God forbid ) thinking of getting the Silver iPhone 8 Plus for a second too, same $0 down deal, but a stock iOS device would be brutal, if there was a stable jailbreak out for iOS11.1 I'd get the 8 Plus, but with no JB, no way
[doublepost=1510511373][/doublepost]https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/turn-your-lg-v30-into-google-pixel-2-0180558/

Grabbed what I wanted, thanks for the link.

I returned the iPhone X, I did not return the v30. Sorry Apple, you lost.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I think I got some magical edition V30+. The original had to be returned due to crazy lack of uniformity. This one looks beautiful. Colors are more vibrant than both the V30 and first V30+. Screen is the most uniform I've seen in a while. There is no artifice or shadow scrolling even with comfort view on. It's brighter at 0% as well (Not complaining). It's faster than the previous two even with the backup installed.

Only weird thing is just lines that appear in photos and videos. You can't see them with the naked eye. I've seen this on a Galaxy and some televisions. I'm not concerned.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I use the stock text app Google Messages. When the phone is sitting next to me, and I get a new text, all I get is the sound of the text beeping, but the screen doesn't wake up. The screen should wake up when that text comes in. What Setting do I need to change to make the screen wake ?

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
If anyone gets the V30+, those headphones are actually pretty impressive. They work well with high bass and you don't have to turn them up high to hear it. They are comfortable too.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I use the stock text app Google Messages. When the phone is sitting next to me, and I get a new text, all I get is the sound of the text beeping, but the screen doesn't wake up. The screen should wake up when that text comes in. What Setting do I need to change to make the screen wake ?
Is there no setting directly in the messaging app?

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Today is my first workday with my V30. At work my phone can get a ton use, with Phone calls, texts, e-mails, some web surfing, and maybe GPS Nav use. All of it on the network, no WiFi.

Well I can say, so far the battery life just destroys my old Nexus 6P, no competition. I unplugged my phone off the charger at 7:00am, it is now 11:45am, and I am at 90%. With my 6P at this time, I'd probably be at 65% or so.

Even this weekend, using my V30 mostly on WiFi, surfing the web and watching YouTube, I was getting off the charts amazing battery life. Sunday lasting all morning, till bedtime, with 22% left, and i was on the phone a crap ton most the time, tweaking it and getting it to where I like it, and also using it a lot. My Nexus 6P would have never lasted like that on a Sunday. On WiFi use I was clocking in close to 8h Screen On time.

Off topic, I installed Textra Pro, it does just work better. I love Google Messages, but something about it just doesn't seem to work as well as Textra. And I like the deep settings you get with Textra, and it also allows it to wake the screen when a new text comes in, and allows me to reply to that text notification from the lock screen ( which is hugely important to me, it's just faster and better to do it that way ) With Google Messages, you only hear a 'beep' for a text, but the screen stays off. So Textra is the main one for me. I wish Google would have the option for Android Messages to turn the screen on when a text comes through. It makes no sense why it doesn't do that ?

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Nexus 6P is known for its battery condition becoming weak after 2 years of use. You have made the wise choice. By the way who is your carrier?

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Today is my first workday with my V30. At work my phone can get a ton use, with Phone calls, texts, e-mails, some web surfing, and maybe GPS Nav use. All of it on the network, no WiFi.

Well I can say, so far the battery life just destroys my old Nexus 6P, no competition. I unplugged my phone off the charger at 7:00am, it is now 11:45am, and I am at 90%. With my 6P at this time, I'd probably be at 65% or so.

Even this weekend, using my V30 mostly on WiFi, surfing the web and watching YouTube, I was getting off the charts amazing battery life. Sunday lasting all morning, till bedtime, with 22% left, and i was on the phone a crap ton most the time, tweaking it and getting it to where I like it, and also using it a lot. My Nexus 6P would have never lasted like that on a Sunday. On WiFi use I was clocking in close to 8h Screen On time.

Off topic, I installed Textra Pro, it does just work better. I love Google Messages, but something about it just doesn't seem to work as well as Textra. And I like the deep settings you get with Textra, and it also allows it to wake the screen when a new text comes in, and allows me to reply to that text notification from the lock screen ( which is hugely important to me, it's just faster and better to do it that way ) With Google Messages, you only hear a 'beep' for a text, but the screen stays off. So Textra is the main one for me. I wish Google would have the option for Android Messages to turn the screen on when a text comes through. It makes no sense why it doesn't do that ?
Textra is pretty good, I also use the pro version.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Nexus 6P is known for its battery condition becoming weak after 2 years of use. You have made the wise choice. By the way who is your carrier?

I am T-Mobile.

I used the LG Package Disabler and disabled dozens of stock crap and what I'd call bloatware. But the T-Mobile V30 doesn't come with too much bloat, compared to Verizon and ATT which are horrible with a million bloat apps.. And then I installed the Pixel 2 launcher, and also a ton of stock Google apps, which I made default. And am I not using any of the LG core apps, like Phone, text, and calendar, I am using all Google's stuff.

Phone runs smooth, and battery life is super good so far. I am liking the size of the phone, it feels small, and lightweight and overall comfortable to use. The screen gets plenty bright, way brighter than my 6P ever would. And the sound is loud and clear, way louder than the 6P's dual speakers, actually my 6P had crap sound to be honest, very low even when cranked up. But the single bottom speaker only on the V30 is the bad part of the speaker, that does kind of suck, but at least it's loud. Wish they'd copy Apple and do the bottom speaker + part of the ear piece speaker.

The vibration motor on the V30 is on par with the iPhone, as in really good, like nothing I've felt on other Android phones before. But I turned it down, as it was almost too strong ( thank god for settings ).

I like that there's no branding on the face of the phone, it's just a black monolith slab, very minimalist in design. I have a slim black Incipio case, and the phone just looks cool. Not flashy or anything, very understated.

Surprising thing is how it's all screen, this thing does look very futuristic, with it having very minimal bezels, and being mostly all screen. In a way it sort of looks like a larger iPhone X. If both phones had the same Incipio case, they'd look near identical, just one having the bigger screen.

To wrap up this quick first impressions post, I am happy and comfortable with the phone. It gets very good battery life. Is a fast feeling phone, with little lag. Screen is very bright. And it looks very cool. Would I rather have the Pixel 2 XL now ? Not really. I still have my 6P for my stock Android urge if need be. And the size of the V30 is truly the sweet spot, I don't want a larger heavier phone. Actually I wish the V30 was the Pixel 2.

Reactions: Septembersrain

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013

Glad you found messaging that worked for you. No matter what I read, there just wasn't a solution.

I get a pretty solid 9-10 hours SOT. That's using Blockada all the time and sometimes the Quad DAC as I'm still enjoying my headphone experience. I also was pleasantly surprised when using GPS, it didn't tank as quickly as some of my other devices. Since I finally get full bars in my apartment, I'm enjoying my unlimited data that I'm paying a small fortune for (grandfathered T-Mobile JUMP 1).

Do you like to use darker themes? Mine are always pretty much black. I also have all three animations turned off in developers mode.

I'm beating up the battery today doing tests with the Quad.

8e024556fe65d3c62814d60e0677cdaf.jpg

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
The US998 unlocked version comes out next month. That's the one that can be rooted and ROM'd. No carrier V30's can be unlocked. It's sold only full price for $800. Depending on how much I like the V30, I may give this one to my wife, and order the unlocked V30, but after a price break. LG always drops the prices on their unlocked phones, by a huge amount a few months after release. The LG G6 unlocked version went down to like $449 at one point in the Summer, like four months after release, so come March / April the unlocked V30 may be $500, it should for sure be less than $600 next Spring. I would guess around the launch of the G7, the V30 will price drop significantly.

I would take an unlocked V30 next Spring 2018 at a bargain price, over a new Galaxy S9 or LG G7. The unlocked V30 can then be rooted and run Lineage ROM or a stock LG ROM with all the rooted goodness. I am not interested in the SD845 over the SD835, the next big jump is the SD855, that's the major upgrade. The SD845 is mainly just a faster processor than the SD835, but not much more efficient. Whereas the SD855 is a giant upgrade, built on the 7nm process, being much more efficient and way more battery friendly, while also being super fast too. So going from a SD835 phone to a SD845 phone, won't be night and day different, yes the SD845 is better, but going from SD835 to SD855 will be HUGE.

Reactions: Septembersrain

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
The US998 unlocked version comes out next month. That's the one that can be rooted and ROM'd. No carrier V30's can be unlocked. It's sold only full price for $800. Depending on how much I like the V30, I may give this one to my wife, and order the unlocked V30, but after a price break. LG always drops the prices on their unlocked phones, by a huge amount a few months after release. The LG G6 unlocked version went down to like $449 at one point in the Summer, like four months after release, so come March / April the unlocked V30 may be $500, it should for sure be less than $600 next Spring. I would guess around the launch of the G7, the V30 will price drop significantly.

I would take an unlocked V30 next Spring 2018 at a bargain price, over a new Galaxy S9 or LG G7. The unlocked V30 can then be rooted and run Lineage ROM or a stock LG ROM with all the rooted goodness. I am not interested in the SD845 over the SD835, the next big jump is the SD855, that's the major upgrade. The SD845 is mainly just a faster processor than the SD835, but not much more efficient. Whereas the SD855 is a giant upgrade, built on the 7nm process, being much more efficient and way more battery friendly, while also being super fast too. So going from a SD835 phone to a SD845 phone, won't be night and day different, yes the SD845 is better, but going from SD835 to SD855 will be HUGE.

I couldn't come up with the funds to get anything above $250 outright, heart condition and insurance costs have increased sadly. So I'm okay. I still have my Note 3 running Jedi Elite. I don't think I'll bother rooting this V30+ because it'll likely not be a forever device. Next year around this time I'll (Maybe) JUMP again.

Next year, I really hope they don't do away with headphone jacks completely. If they do, I'll look for an unlocked V30+ then. I'm so not on board with another device I have to charge, so Bluetooth headphones are a no from me. Quad DAC is a niche but I'm in it!

I'm not going to get another iPhone until they sort out this modem crap and either get on with it using Intel or they make up with Qualcomm.

I won't get another Samsung because that edge screen is just so much accidental touch I'll likely Office Space it out of frustration.

I'd like to see Huawei make it to T-Mobile as I do like their devices. My very first smartphone, the Huawei Ascend is still working! So I think they need to penetrate the market.

cleanair

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
Yeah. I just really wanted the internal storage and the black color. I wanted to see the type of headphones as I can't use the Apple ear buds at all. They won't stay in my ears. Overall, I like the V30 the best in calls and data out of all my devices at this time.
Was that internal storage really necessary? I thought you can just add an SD card for more storage.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Was that internal storage really necessary? I thought you can just add an SD card for more storage.
You can but I want to not have to worry about space. I mean my device might have a way to have adoptable storage but that's a headache if the SD goes bad.

SD cards can't be written to as often as eMMC storage (the internal storage), so if you're running an app from the card that writes often, the card may go bad and you're left with nothing on the card.

So it's easier coming from iPhone to just leave most on the phone except music, pictures, videos.

cleanair

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
For V20 and V30, how does heating compare? I've heard that V20 can overheat.
Would it be $500 by January?
Could you explain how LG Backup better than Google's?

I am pretty torn between V30 or Pixel 2 XL but the more I think about, V30 is the better option for me.

Can be recognized on Mac / Android File Transfer

MicroSD slot and I can put the card in a SD adapter for even faster transfer speed

Wide-angle lens

Looks better

Probably under $400-$500 in 3-4 months

Headphone jack

Water-resistance

LG Backup is way superior and straightforward than Google's

Software can be changed. Hardware is more permanent. There is a reason why I sold my Pixel and S7 edge while keeping my underrated G5 and V20. Removable battery and IR blaster. Sad to think V20 will be the last flagship to ever offer removable battery while still having a metal back.

And I'm not really the biggest fan of Oreo. Loved the cookies but the update is pretty incremental for better or for worse. But when I first tried Marshmallow and Nougat (7.1+), I instantly loved both right away. Only the slightly laggy LG skin is something I need to put up with but that's easily remedied with Nova and 0.5x animations.

Pixel 2 XL is still a great phone if fluidity and nice camera is your preference. I will probably get another Pixel in the future since it lacks carrier bloatware. V30 just seems better all-around with no glaring weaknesses.
Woohoo!!!! VR headset is coming soon!
4dd79a84db15373780cd4e78dfb47e28.jpg

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
For V20 and V30, how does heating compare? I've heard that V20 can overheat.
Would it be $500 by January?
Could you explain how LG Backup better than Google's?
I didn't have the V20. However the V30 and V30+ do not heat up and I've used them without a case. Full brightness, playing a game while using headphones with quad DAC on. So I'd say they've fixed that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.