Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Played with this in a store, does it feel too light to anyone else? Weird thing to complain about but it feels like a toy lol
That's what I love about it. So much for the iPhone needing the space so they removed the headphone jack. This device does just fine. If stereo speakers cause the iPhone to be that much heavier, I'll pass. This phone is light yet capable.

Reactions: deany

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So much for the iPhone needing the space so they removed the headphone jack.

I don't think Apple ever said they "needed" the space, but it was commented that it was valuable space that they could use because of expanding battery/camera/processor technology and enhancements. Therefore of which they replaced it with more modern technology and a gateway for the AirPods to be introduced as well.

If stereo speakers cause the iPhone to be that much heavier, I'll pass.

That's negligible. I have never heard anyone complain or mention about the weight because of the stereo speakers. How many iPhone consumers do you know actually even consider that to be a factor when purchasing an iPhone?

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I don't think Apple ever said they "needed" the space, but it was commented that it was valuable space that they could use because of expanding battery/camera/processor technology and enhancements. Therefore of which they replaced it with more modern technology and a gateway for the AirPods to be introduced as well.

That's negligible. I have never heard anyone complain or mention about the weight because of the stereo speakers. How many iPhone consumers do you know actually even consider that to be a factor when purchasing an iPhone?

Over on the android site XDA, stereo speakers are very well liked. It's one of the features that they admit they like about the iPhone flagships.

Why didn't Apple just go with the basic ability to use Bluetooth with all available devices? I guess I don't know much but what's the difference between the W1 Apple chip for Bluetooth and the Bluetooth used in Android devices?

I wasn't complaining about the weight but I was trying to factor in why the V30 is so incredibly light.

Battery is decent, it has a headphone jack, so what's missing that would make it heavier?

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Why didn't Apple just go with the basic ability to use Bluetooth with all available devices? I guess I don't know much but what's the difference between the W1 Apple chip for Bluetooth and the Bluetooth used in Android devices?

Apple's devices work with existing bluetooth standards. Their W1 chip allows instant pairing between devices without having to go into settings.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Apple's devices work with existing bluetooth standards. Their W1 chip allows instant pairing between devices without having to go into settings.
Thanks for the clarification. I honestly had no idea. I do know that I can't Bluetooth something from an iPhone to an Android. That kind of bugs me but oh well.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So for those of you who follow all of the threads on this alternative section, you will know that I spent some time with the Pixel 2 XL and the regular sized Pixel 2. Only to then decide to stick with my iPhone X.

Well... lol.

This morning I was sat pondering Android whilst using my X and I was feeling really dissatisfied with iOS, the very thing that pushed me to trying a Pixel to being with. :rolleyes:

It's funny with the Pixel line, as they're so good because they have great cameras and they have dat stock Android feel that most people love.
For me, there was some weird disconnect with both the Pixels. I could have got by using either device full time, (they're that good) but the XL was too large and the smaller Pixel was a little difficult to use due to how small it was. Typing more than anything. 5.5" screens have always been my sweet spot so the Pixels were basically like mummy and daddy bears porridge. :D

When I exchanged my Pixel 2 XL a few weeks ago, I lingered round the LG V30 for a while and really liked the look of it.
I was very tempted to not bother with the reg 2 and just get the V30, but I didn't. And now the Pixel 2 has gone and I'm back on the X, I've spent the morning checking out reviews, forums, all sorts all about the V30.

Aaaaaaand then I went and got one. :eek::cool:

I have only just set it up and spent the evening (between cooking etc) getting it how I want it.

I can safely say already, that this is one hell of a phone.

The reason I was desperate to try the V30 is because it reminded me a lot of the X in terms of materials, build and features.
It was also smaller than a 2XL and only just bigger than the X due to it's minimal bezels, so on paper it looked like it would be a really good fit for me.

The shop only had blue, and no stores even close to me had the silver so I didn't really have a choice. I think I'd have preferred the silver, but having the blue up close and it's actually pretty nice.

7wHvvyc.jpg

The screen on this phone is one of the best I have ever seen. Up there with my XZ Premium I used to have which I loved. The benefit of OLED (or the curse, depending on burn in lol) is it now adds an AOD too, which I think is a really handy feature.

V9RUiqw.jpg

I have just set up the facial recognition and it works probably better than the X!! So far anyway, who knows if that will continue. But just double tap the screen to wake and boom, facial recognition happens and you're in.

LG's skin is a little... different lol. I like it, don't get me wrong. And I LOVE that they have a 'clear all' button as soon as you click on the square to show open apps. Stock needs to learn from this annoyance.
But setting a wallpaper only sets the home screen, with no option for home AND lock screen. Bit strange. But oh well!

The rest of the skin seems pretty light. I haven't had to disable anything other than the LG app notifications needing updating etc.

Very impressed with the vibration motor in this. It's almost iPhone level of quality, probably the closest thing to it i've experienced on a non-Apple device.
The phone set everything up and didn't even get warm. Impressive.

Double tap to wake and double tap to lock are ideal, as I don't really like that power button on the back. It also allows me to use my device similarly to my X, wih a tap to wake the screen and facial recognition to unlock.
This really is the Android iPhone for me, and I love it.

When I had my Pixels, whenever I picked my X back up I always hankered back to it. But with this V30, I pick the X up and want back to the LG Because it's just so gorgeous to look at and use.

Not tired the camera yet, or even started with this said to be amazing audio (can't wait for that) so will report back tomorrow after a full day with it.

So far so very very impressed. :)

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Almost a full working day with my V30 now (just clock watching my last hour lol).

I am still really enamoured with it.
Great phone. Haven't even took a picture with it yet!! :eek: - I leave home and it's dark and I get home it's dark, so that's not really ideal.

Please with how it's performing, no complaints so far although very early days.

There's some pretty neat things in LG's version of Android. Having active weather animations on the lock screen probably my favourite thing. Last night it was raining, my phone was locked. Picked it up and rain appeared on my lock screen! :D. Apparently it happens for snow too, which I really want to see. It's the small things that impress me.

Battery life performing v well also so far. Off charge at 6:30 this morning (it's now almost 16:30 here) and still on 61%, that's with general useage.

Ordered 2 cases for the phone, a really thin rubbery one that will cover the whole back and prevent scratching (but it's black so can't see that delicious blue colour) and a clear rubber one that has more overall coverge but looks likely to add bulk - which I do not want, but will see how it is. Cheap and cheerful on Amazon so hopefully one will suffice.

Facial recognition has started to delay a bit, but last night when setting up I was in a darkish living room and had glasses on. Today at work it was very bright and I wasn't wearing glasses, so I went into settings and 'improved facial recognition' which now makes it work instantly. Nice you can do that but iPhone trumps it for working in basically all sceanrios without the need for retraining.

I like Face ID more than I thought. :p

Will post more thoughts over the weekend even though I know this device is becoming old news now in this fast paced world of smart phones. ;)

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So this evening I tested the camera out in low light with my dog - as you do ha.

Very very disappointed in the camera performance. It's a real long time from shooting a picture to it actually registering and snapping it. This kind of thing bugs the hell out of me. But then I have been spoiled recently with having a Pixel 2 and an iPhone X, both of which take a basically instant photo.

It wasn't just the delay in snapping either. The photos were horrible.
Surprisingly bad. It would seem like low light photos are not where this phone shines. It also doesn't do very well with moving objects.
I'm sure that in good light and when you want a wide angle shot (that's an impressive camera feature) then it will be great. But I have not been happy with the camera performance in every day scenarios.

The rest of the phone is continuing to work very nicely. I'm happy with the battery performance, and really pleased with how the phone performs day to day.

I guess there had to be something to dislike about it after it made such a good impression on me!
Spoiled with the iPhone and Pixel 2 cameras.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
So for those of you who follow all of the threads on this alternative section, you will know that I spent some time with the Pixel 2 XL and the regular sized Pixel 2. Only to then decide to stick with my iPhone X.

Well... lol.

This morning I was sat pondering Android whilst using my X and I was feeling really dissatisfied with iOS, the very thing that pushed me to trying a Pixel to being with. :rolleyes:

It's funny with the Pixel line, as they're so good because they have great cameras and they have dat stock Android feel that most people love.
For me, there was some weird disconnect with both the Pixels. I could have got by using either device full time, (they're that good) but the XL was too large and the smaller Pixel was a little difficult to use due to how small it was. Typing more than anything. 5.5" screens have always been my sweet spot so the Pixels were basically like mummy and daddy bears porridge. :D

When I exchanged my Pixel 2 XL a few weeks ago, I lingered round the LG V30 for a while and really liked the look of it.
I was very tempted to not bother with the reg 2 and just get the V30, but I didn't. And now the Pixel 2 has gone and I'm back on the X, I've spent the morning checking out reviews, forums, all sorts all about the V30.

Aaaaaaand then I went and got one. :eek::cool:

I have only just set it up and spent the evening (between cooking etc) getting it how I want it.

I can safely say already, that this is one hell of a phone.

The reason I was desperate to try the V30 is because it reminded me a lot of the X in terms of materials, build and features.
It was also smaller than a 2XL and only just bigger than the X due to it's minimal bezels, so on paper it looked like it would be a really good fit for me.

The shop only had blue, and no stores even close to me had the silver so I didn't really have a choice. I think I'd have preferred the silver, but having the blue up close and it's actually pretty nice.

7wHvvyc.jpg

The screen on this phone is one of the best I have ever seen. Up there with my XZ Premium I used to have which I loved. The benefit of OLED (or the curse, depending on burn in lol) is it now adds an AOD too, which I think is a really handy feature.

V9RUiqw.jpg

I have just set up the facial recognition and it works probably better than the X!! So far anyway, who knows if that will continue. But just double tap the screen to wake and boom, facial recognition happens and you're in.

LG's skin is a little... different lol. I like it, don't get me wrong. And I LOVE that they have a 'clear all' button as soon as you click on the square to show open apps. Stock needs to learn from this annoyance.
But setting a wallpaper only sets the home screen, with no option for home AND lock screen. Bit strange. But oh well!

The rest of the skin seems pretty light. I haven't had to disable anything other than the LG app notifications needing updating etc.

Very impressed with the vibration motor in this. It's almost iPhone level of quality, probably the closest thing to it i've experienced on a non-Apple device.
The phone set everything up and didn't even get warm. Impressive.

Double tap to wake and double tap to lock are ideal, as I don't really like that power button on the back. It also allows me to use my device similarly to my X, wih a tap to wake the screen and facial recognition to unlock.
This really is the Android iPhone for me, and I love it.

When I had my Pixels, whenever I picked my X back up I always hankered back to it. But with this V30, I pick the X up and want back to the LG Because it's just so gorgeous to look at and use.

Not tired the camera yet, or even started with this said to be amazing audio (can't wait for that) so will report back tomorrow after a full day with it.

So far so very very impressed. :)

I wish they had the blue where I got mine. Had the silver and used up my JUMP on T-Mobile for a year for the black one. The extra space and headphones have been worth it.

Is the blue one 128 GB too?

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Nice! Doesn't look like there's any band 71 in Austin, if that's where you are

http://maps.spectrumgateway.com/t-mobile-600-mhz-band-71-deployment.html
Wow. So that is without it? I'm technically in San Antonio but it likes to use the Austin server.
That's amazing! Makes me sad though, inside my house I can't get 4G with Verizon.
I went from getting 10 Mbps or less and maybe two bars on my 7 Plus with T-Mobile. Now I get full bars at home and I can finally use my phone out in the sticks where my guys family lives. I'm happy.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So after a short stint with the V30, I've decided to return it.
I really liked this phone - a lot!

It had so much going for it and was the closest premium feel and finish to the X there was (for me).

Ultimately, I think I missed Oreo's touches throughout the OS, which were definitely pleasing whilst using the Pixel 2 for a while. I know it won't be too long before the V30 gets Oreo, but its all I had to go off.

I was a bit disappointed in the camera set up of the V30. Wide angle was good but I probably wouldn't have used it a great deal. Actual snaps came across a little lacklustre and the second or two delay in taking the photo is something that should absolutely not be happening on smartphones these days. It's a huge annoyance of mine.

The screen, feel in hand, size, materials - all top notch, and that's one of the things I loved the most about it.

LG's skin was also a little... strange. Changing a wallpaper and it would only change the home screen - no option to set both home and lock screen? Odd and finicky. Too many steps required to do something fairly simple (and I change wallpapers a lot).

It also felt like there were too many swipes and presses to get somewhere in settings compared to other Android skins, which was a shame.

I LOVED the screen so much - one of the best panels I've had the pleasure of using.
Facial scanning worked a charm, I think that was one of the best iterations of it I have used - all very positive stuff.

If LG can sort their skin out, and get a really good camera in their devices whilst sticking to this kind of form factor (G6's too!), then I'd give it another go.

For now, there are better choices for less money (both reg Pixel 2 and XL are much cheaper in UK) and that's what ultimately did it for me. :)

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
One of biggest benefits of owning LG smartphones is ear candy via compatible ear/headphones. If only the camera was better on the v30, it would be a killer device. Sigh.

Yeah, and that's something I never experienced as I didn't want to open the headphones unless I was sure I was keeping it.
I kinda had a niggling feeling in the back of my head about it so I decided not to throw it in the mix as it might make me want to not return it and put me in an even bigger pickle. Haha.

The V30 is a great phone. :)

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I need a set of over the ear headphones that can make use of the DAC but I'm not rich.

Any recommendations on over the ear, wired obviously, that has good bass and preferably over 45ohm?

Garen

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Los Angeles Area
Greetings, about 10 days ago I took advantage of T-Mobile’s BOGO promotion and got myself V30+ in black color, so far I’m very pleased with the phone and I would put it at par or better than my S8. Low light camera performance with static objects have been very good and overall performance of the phone has been great. So, I guess I’ll be spending more time here from now on.

steelcityguy

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2017
Florida East Coast
Ok, sold the Note 8, picked up a LG v30. I have a couple of questions. Reading Tig Bittes post #549, I would like to set up my phone that way. Has anyone else done this? Any problems? Before doing this, should I insert my SIM card. Any other things that I should know? Comments, good or bad, doesn’t matter. My phone is a AT&T
Phone. Thank you to all that can help me out. Dave

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Does anyone use the unlocked V30 on AT&T? I’ve heard it isn’t good to use on AT&T because it’s missing Band 17.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.