Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Having my V30 over a week now. One major surprise is the battery life.

OUTSTANDING !!!

More than double my Nexus 6P's battery. I'm getting like 8.5h Screen On time, sometimes 9h.

Way better than the awesome iPhone 7 Plus running 10.3 which gave me great battery life. The V30 destroys that too.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

OUTSTANDING !!!

More than double my Nexus 6P's battery. I'm getting like 8.5h Screen On time, sometimes 9h.

Way better than the awesome iPhone 7 Plus running 10.3 which gave me great battery life. The V30 destroys that too.

I really don’t monitor, I don’t have to cause it never runs out the day I am using it. :)

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013

OUTSTANDING !!!

I really don’t monitor, I don’t have to cause it never runs out the day I am using it. :)
I haven't really thought about my battery life in a while. It'll go all day. The coolest part is I'm running Blockada, no hit on battery life.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
My only minor gripe is the poor theme engine. The themes kind of suck compared to what a Galaxy S8+ / Note 8 has available, plus the Galaxy line now has Substratum available no root needed. Which used to only work on Nexus / Pixel phones, but they updated and worked on it for the Galaxy line. And you can mix and match a Samsung store theme for your core TouchWiz apps on the phone with a Subtratum theme for Google apps and notification shade.

I'm a big theme guy, love dark themes. And sadly the V30 just can't be themed like above.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
My only minor gripe is the poor theme engine. The themes kind of suck compared to what a Galaxy S8+ / Note 8 has available, plus the Galaxy line now has Substratum available no root needed. Which used to only work on Nexus / Pixel phones, but they updated and worked on it for the Galaxy line. And you can mix and match a Samsung store theme for your core TouchWiz apps on the phone with a Subtratum theme for Google apps and notification shade.

I'm a big theme guy, love dark themes. And sadly the V30 just can't be themed like above.
Not even through launchers?

Though I do agree that I'm hoping to see more themes. The device hasn't been out that long and it doesn't seem as popular as the Galaxy lines. So it seems variety is limited, for now at least...

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Not to beat a dead horse here, but HOLY COW, the battery life on this phone, is like nothing I've seen before. I have owned 24 different flagship smartphones since 2008 or so. None of them have had battery life like this V30.

I am getting 9h Screen On time. This is the first smartphone ever, to give me true 2 day use. No other phone could ever reliably be counted on to last two solid days with no charging. Yesterday I unplugged the phone off the charger at 6:30am with 100% battery, went to bed at 11:00pm, checked battery status, it was only down to 55% with like 4h 34m Screen On time. Checked the phone this morning, was down to 52%, and still going strong.

steelcityguy

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2017
Florida East Coast
The V 30 vs the Note. I've ask this question on the Note 8 section. Those that have the V30, why over the Note 8? These are the only two phones I am interested in. I do not constantly use my phone, only when out. Retired, home a lot. When out mostly use IHeartRadio or TuneIn Radio for sports talk. Camera, not a picture fanatic. As long as the picture looks good. I've had a bunch of lPhones,all good experience, a Nexus6p, good phone. The two things I want in my next phone, 6" screen and wireless charging. I am currently trying a Note 8, have a week left to decide if I want to keep it. I can't seem to get the V30 out of my mind. I am anxious to hear all opinions, good or negative. Especially Tig Bittes, enjoy his opinions very much. Thank you very much in advance. Dave.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
The V 30 vs the Note. I've ask this question on the Note 8 section. Those that have the V30, why over the Note 8? These are the only two phones I am interested in. I do not constantly use my phone, only when out. Retired, home a lot. When out mostly use IHeartRadio or TuneIn Radio for sports talk. Camera, not a picture fanatic. As long as the picture looks good. I've had a bunch of lPhones,all good experience, a Nexus6p, good phone. The two things I want in my next phone, 6" screen and wireless charging. I am currently trying a Note 8, have a week left to decide if I want to keep it. I can't seem to get the V30 out of my mind. I am anxious to hear all opinions, good or negative. Especially Tig Bittes, enjoy his opinions very much. Thank you very much in advance. Dave.

For me it's the weight, no edge screen, quad DAC, band 71 and at the time there was a promotion for a VR headset.

The Note 8 was just unwieldy in my small hands and accidental touches were very rampant. The screen looked better on the Note 8 but it just wasn't worth it.

Reactions: 5105973

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

I do like the size of the V30 for a 6-inch phone it feels a lot smaller and it's lightweight and just a very comfortable phone to hold.

The Note 8 really pushes the boundaries of being borderline too large or is too big of a phone for me personally it's very tall and have some hef to it and it just too big for what I want.

Battery life on the V30 is outstanding, I hear the Note 8 battery life is good, but not V30 great.

The Note 8 does have the nicer brighter screen. And the S-Pen if you'd use that.

Both are great phones, very hard decision I will admit. You should play with both at the store and get real hands on impressions.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
This is by far the farthest I've pushed it in terms of standby.
ed1a52b689891c8a783e1588390dcb6c.jpg
ea4360450ca0bd0d5c55d6fb04c57fd4.jpg

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I've had my V30 a few weeks now. And you know what ? It's a great phone. Unbelievable battery life. Snappy and fast. Easy to hold, overall size is very compact for having a 6" screen. Speakers are super loud, even though it's bottom firing which I rather have dual.

I keep thinking about maybe trading in for an iPhone X or Pixel 2 XL. But afraid I won't be super satisfied with either after getting rid of this V30.

Do I love this phone ? No. I always think the grass is greener and there's a better phone out there. But, I am extremely comfortable with this phone, and with things like AdGuard + Samsung Internet, it's just like having AdAway on a rooted phone. And YouTube OG is great too, which is a rootless apk and I love it, no ads on YouTube and you can download anything. Plus Package Disabler got rid of the bloat. And a nice black theme running.

I will say the V30 is very unrated, and should be in the top 3 of best smartphones of 2017.
[doublepost=1513089661][/doublepost]Another favorite feature on this phone, is the screen to body ratio. This display takes up the whole phone almost, it has very minimal bezels, and when you hide the nav keys it feels almost like a bezeless phone. Love the look

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
It's the only other phone I'd want.

I love my Note, if I didn't I'd be all over the V30.

What a cool phone.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Since aptx hd is supported on the lg v30, we still need Oreo to get it with the appropriate headphones. Is that correct? I want to hear music with that enabled.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Those of you who have had the V30 for a month plus, how’s performance holding up?
I am wondering as well, I am really about to order one. But I dont see a lot of real life experience, nowadays.

Gonna keep an eye on this topic! :)
Holding up just fine. Haven't had any lag or crashes. No reboots. Device still functions like it's brand new. I think a year would be the better judgement of long term performance.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I've had my V30 a few weeks now. And you know what ? It's a great phone. Unbelievable battery life. Snappy and fast. Easy to hold, overall size is very compact for having a 6" screen. Speakers are super loud, even though it's bottom firing which I rather have dual.

I keep thinking about maybe trading in for an iPhone X or Pixel 2 XL. But afraid I won't be super satisfied with either after getting rid of this V30.

Do I love this phone ? No. I always think the grass is greener and there's a better phone out there. But, I am extremely comfortable with this phone, and with things like AdGuard + Samsung Internet, it's just like having AdAway on a rooted phone. And YouTube OG is great too, which is a rootless apk and I love it, no ads on YouTube and you can download anything. Plus Package Disabler got rid of the bloat. And a nice black theme running.

I will say the V30 is very unrated, and should be in the top 3 of best smartphones of 2017.
[doublepost=1513089661][/doublepost]Another favorite feature on this phone, is the screen to body ratio. This display takes up the whole phone almost, it has very minimal bezels, and when you hide the nav keys it feels almost like a bezeless phone. Love the look

To be fair, the iPhone X will give you trouble since you aren't a fan of iOS 11. The Pixel XL 2 will waste your time with RMAs.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Borrowed a friend's V30. Its fast on its own merits but after using an iPhone X and Pixel 2 XL, it felt too sluggish.

Reactions: Geert76

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
Played with this in a store, does it feel too light to anyone else? Weird thing to complain about but it feels like a toy lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.