Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ravenflight

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2002
Yvan256 said:
- 64MB VRAM
- better GPU (Radeon 9600 would be enough, the eMac already has it too)
- 256MB on-board (keep that memory slot free to make it less expensive to upgrade to 512MB/768MB/1.25GB)
- one more USB 2 port would be nice
- 5400 RPM drives

Lowest model should have 60GB, highest could still be 80GB.

CPU speed bump? Perhaps 1.25->1.33 and 1.42->1.5, but that's a lot less important than what I mentionned above, IMHO.
Would it be asking too much for Apple to build a third version like they have with the iMac? I would really like to see a high end Mini. Enhancements could include 120GB HD, 512MB Ram, and 1.67 Ghz G4. That with a 23" Cinema Display would be my dream machine!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
tristeve said:
Well after following this thread since the beginning and waiting patiently for an announcement, I decided to go ahead and place my order last night.
Specs as follows:
1.42GHz : 80GB drive
512MB SDRAM
Superdrive
AirPort Extreme
Bluetooth

Current status - Processing order
Estimated ship - On or before 07/20/2005

Will let you all know if anything changes...

steve

Sounds like a very nice setup. For your sake, hope that there isn't an update too soon. Either way you will have your mini to enjoy. Looking more now like we might have to wait until Expo Paris in September.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
alexeismertin said:
Thats stock & BTO in the UK at least...

update coming soon(ish)?

Good Catch. On the US Store, Stock Models are shipping same bus. day, but the second you upgrade anything whether it be RAM, Superdrive or Airport Shipping time increases to 7-10 Days.

Updates Tuesday??

I'd personally love if they allowed users to open the box, so we can add 3rd party ram to save some money :)

dazj

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2005
Gillingham, Kent, UK
Shipping times for standard, non bto minis have increased to 7 - 10 days in the UK as well now...

Seeing as this happened before, then went back to 24hours, I'm not gonna build my hopes up for a rev...

But if there is one (and all I want is a gpu update for Core Image functionality - sure it's only ripples on the Dashboard now, but how soon before it's needed for iTunes visualisations?), I'll finally be buying myself one!

Willy S

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
dazj said:
Shipping times for standard, non bto minis have increased to 7 - 10 days in the UK as well now...

Seeing as this happened before, then went back to 24hours, I'm not gonna build my hopes up for a rev...

But if there is one (and all I want is a gpu update for Core Image functionality - sure it's only ripples on the Dashboard now, but how soon before it's needed for iTunes visualisations?), I'll finally be buying myself one!
iBook is also with 7 days delay. :rolleyes:

Plecky

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
Where are you getting these 7-days estimates? When I go to the Apple.com store, it still says same business day for all the Mac Mini models and all the iBook models as well. I'm not seeing this so-called 7-day until shipping foreshadowing sign of updates... None the less, I'd be suprised of updates this tuesday, and quite curious to see what they are! But none the less, not getting my hopes up AGAIN after the whole July 7th/11th hassle/ordeal... :confused:

Willy S

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Plecky said:
Where are you getting these 7-days estimates? When I go to the Apple.com store, it still says same business day for all the Mac Mini models and all the iBook models as well. I'm not seeing this so-called 7-day until shipping foreshadowing sign of updates... None the less, I'd be suprised of updates this tuesday, and quite curious to see what they are! But none the less, not getting my hopes up AGAIN after the whole July 7th/11th hassle/ordeal... :confused:
Apple Europe. ;)

osustudent

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2005
Ohio
Plecky said:

Also, if you BTO (build to order) any if the specs for the mini or ibook, the shipping times change.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
joecool85 said:
I'll buy myself one as soon as I see 1.8ghz, 64mb vid ram and 5400rpm drives.

Get ready to be waiting till next year when the Intel mini's come out then. The G4 isn't going to 1.8ghz any time soon, especially not in the mini.

Also, I'd like to seee Apple shrink down so of the other components so they can get a 3.5" drive in there. That would open up the door for a lot of improvements in speed, capacity and price!

Fabio_gsilva

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2005
São Paulo - Brasil
berkleeboy210 said:
I'd personally love if they allowed users to open the box, so we can add 3rd party ram to save some money :)

But actually you can open the box without loosing your warranty. Apple aloud you to do it!

I already bought 1 gb to him... I'm just waiting my Mini arrive... man, I'm so anxious...

Huges.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
Yeah, I know there is a really good chance I'll have to wait for an Intel mini before it will reach 1.8 ghz, but I also tol myself that if I have to wait for 06 it better be 2.0ghz or better. I REALLY don't want to buy a machine that is 2-3 years behind everything else speed wise.

**edit**
I would make an acception if I could get a dual core mac mini running @ 1.6ghz or better.

Ravenflight

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2002
mrgreen4242 said:
Get ready to be waiting till next year when the Intel mini's come out then.
No don't get that one. The first Intel's will be gen. A. You should wait till 2008 when the gen. B Intelimini is announced. I wonder what the wishlist will be then?

I can already see the 2008 Mac Mini rumor thread- "I won't get a Mini till it has the quad-core 3Ghz Pentium with the blue ray DVD Drive and at least 1GB of ram on the Mobo so I can keep the slot free. And why is Apple charging 250.00 for a 4GB memory stick when I can get it from NewEgg for 79.00?" :p

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Ravenflight said:
No don't get that one. The first Intel's will be gen. A. You should wait till 2008 when the gen. B Intelimini is announced. I wonder what the wishlist will be then?

I can already see the 2008 Mac Mini rumor thread- "I won't get a Mini till it has the quad-core 3Ghz Pentium with the blue ray DVD Drive and at least 1GB of ram on the Mobo so I can keep the slot free. And why is Apple charging 250.00 for a 4GB memory stick when I can get it from NewEgg for 79.00?" :p

I expect that the first gen intal mini will be a quality product, for a number of reasons. One, Apple is going to have to be careful as it will be a 'first impression' machine. I expect they will put a lot of effort into being sure it as close to perfect as possible; even more so than they do normally. Second, look at the current RevA mini... I hear almost no complaints about it what so ever. The only thing I can think of as a significant issue (in terms of quality, not specs) is some talk about the DVI not outputting right on certain LCDs. Lastly, the mini will be a lower cost, likely Pentium-M, based machine. Which means that it will look alot like, spec wise, the mid-range P-M laptops we have right now. The components will be pretty standard fare, and there won't likely be a whole lot of custom bits involved, so the bugs should already be worked out.

Also, I would guess that the RevB Intel mini would be out much sooner than 2008... I am betting on an April '06 RevA Mactel mini at the latest, which would put the RevB out towards the end of '06, maybe early '07.

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
mrgreen4242 said:
I am betting on an April '06 RevA Mactel mini at the latest

Why do I keep hearing these unexplained optimistic predictions on messageboards? I thought the presentation at WWDC was very clear: the first Macintels will be out around the time of WWDC '06, in June. Where has there been any indication that that won't be the case?

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
brianus said:
Why do I keep hearing these unexplained optimistic predictions on messageboards? I thought the presentation at WWDC was very clear: the first Macintels will be out around the time of WWDC '06, in June. Where has there been any indication that that won't be the case?

If I recall, at the keynote, he said he wanted to have the first Intel based Macs IN CONSUMERS HANDS BY June '06. That to me indicated that they could come any time between tomorrow and actually shipping at WWDC '06. I'm guessing that the first ones will be coming around April just based on the current mini product cycle. I don't think we will see 2 PPC Rev's before an Intel based mini; a revision pretty soon here, maybe as early as this week, but surely by the end of summer and then the RevA Intel model. Pushing that out to June '06 is a long wait, but squeezing another PPC model in there is a pretty fast schedule for Apple lately.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
We can always be optimistic, that Steve will announce the first Intel Mac products at MWSF. With shipping date to be announce later.

Ravenflight

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2002
mrgreen4242 said:
I'm guessing that the first ones will be coming around April just based on the current mini product cycle.
There's a mini product cycle? When did this happen? Can you tell me when the current cycle will end? :rolleyes:

tristeve

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2005
tristeve said:
Specs as follows:
1.42GHz : 80GB drive
512MB SDRAM
Superdrive
AirPort Extreme
Bluetooth

Current status - Processing order
Estimated ship - On or before 07/20/2005

Will let you all know if anything changes...

steve

Just to let you all know, current status is now "Sent to Manufacturing", estimated ship is still "On or before 07/20/2005"...

Plecky

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
How 'bout I go one step further and just leave it at Mintel, or a Mactel Mini, or a Mac Minteli... Or just good ol' classic Mac Mini, whatever the Intel-version is called, I also believe its going to be awesome (and that includes Rev. A, the first one I think will set the trend to show that Mac and Intel can, and will, work together quite nicely :cool:)

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
why does the name of the cpu have to be in there at all? the current mini is not called the motorola mini..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.