Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clindt

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2005
What's in a name

Plecky said:
How 'bout I go one step further and just leave it at Mintel, or a Mactel Mini, or a Mac Minteli... Or just good ol' classic Mac Mini, whatever the Intel-version is called, I also believe its going to be awesome (and that includes Rev. A, the first one I think will set the trend to show that Mac and Intel can, and will, work together quite nicely :cool:)

Didn't they have a model called 'Lisa', How about Lisa Mintelli?

Rootman

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Miami
mrgreen4242 said:
If I recall, at the keynote, he said he wanted to have the first Intel based Macs IN CONSUMERS HANDS BY June '06. That to me indicated that they could come any time between tomorrow and actually shipping at WWDC '06. I'm guessing that the first ones will be coming around April just based on the current mini product cycle. I don't think we will see 2 PPC Rev's before an Intel based mini; a revision pretty soon here, maybe as early as this week, but surely by the end of summer and then the RevA Intel model. Pushing that out to June '06 is a long wait, but squeezing another PPC model in there is a pretty fast schedule for Apple lately.
Apple would want us to believe that Intel models are farther into the future than they are. If we knew, for example, that Intel iBooks or Minis would be out in December 05, it would totally stop purchases of existing inventory and pre-Intel product, and would kill demand for any intermediate upgrades (if any upgrades are even planned). Apple never wants this to happen. My theory - Intels soon and no major (meaning GPU or dual-core) Mini or notebook revs until then - just speedbumps and RAM upgrades.

Ravenflight

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2002
zen.state said:
why does the name of the cpu have to be in there at all? the current mini is not called the motorola mini..
To differentiate the good Mini's from the bad of course :D

Even Apple has been known to do it. Why can't we call the new iMac an iMac? Because Apple told us to call it the iMac G5!

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
zen.state said:
why does the name of the cpu have to be in there at all? the current mini is not called the motorola mini..

Hey, I noticed you have a 19" Viewsonic monitor and the IOgear KVM (GCS632?). That's exactly the same setup I plan on having when/if the Rev B Minis come out ('cept it'll be KVM'd to a PC rather than a PowerMac). How is it working for you, any monitor problems?

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
brianus said:
Hey, I noticed you have a 19" Viewsonic monitor and the IOgear KVM (GCS632?). That's exactly the same setup I plan on having when/if the Rev B Minis come out ('cept it'll be KVM'd to a PC rather than a PowerMac). How is it working for you, any monitor problems?

I have that same kvm and it works great. its very versatile because you can choose almost any key combination to do the switch to the other system.

works like a charm.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
I too was hoping for a 9am Tuesday update...but no luck. What a bummer. I guess the only good thing is that if the Mini isn't updated by the end of August I told myself that my beige G3 PM (266mhz) DT will get a 700mhz Sonnet G4.

Ravenflight

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2002
joecool85 said:
I too was hoping for a 9am Tuesday update...but no luck. What a bummer. I guess the only good thing is that if the Mini isn't updated by the end of August I told myself that my beige G3 PM (266mhz) DT will get a 700mhz Sonnet G4.
Well at least we'll be getting new widescreen iBooks- at least according to ThinkSecret. Granted I have completely lost faith in that site since they refused to report anything about the Intel switch, but if it's true maybe I'll be getting a shiny white iBook instead of a Mini. I wonder if it will still be white? :rolleyes:

advocate

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Ravenflight said:
Well at least we'll be getting new widescreen iBooks- at least according to ThinkSecret. Granted I have completely lost faith in that site since they refused to report anything about the Intel switch, but if it's true maybe I'll be getting a shiny white iBook instead of a Mini. I wonder if it will still be white? :rolleyes:
Refused? That's a funny way of looking at it. How does them not posting something imply that what they do post is not correct?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
joecool85 said:

Steve just isn't using the prior release schedules. He has seen mention on forums like this, how Apple usually do a release on a certain day. So now updates can occur on any day and at any hour.

alexeismertin

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2005
Bristol, UK
Where's the stock?

How is that the stocks of Minis mysteriously just disappeared in Europe? How can there possibly be a lag of upto 10 days to produce a computer that was introduced back in January.

This is completely ridiculous strategy by Apple - sold out of the current model but haven't made any new ones.. whats that all about?

dazj

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2005
Gillingham, Kent, UK
Shame shipping day in US for non BTO options... add more RAM or make any changes and it goes to 7 - 10 days. Same for the US iBooks...

Hopefully with ThinkSecret announcing iBook updates "any day" the mac mini updates will happen "any day"...

Getting a little tired of waiting to be honest... :(

ejl10

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2005
Boston, MA
dazj said:
Getting a little tired of waiting to be honest... :(

Dell Small Business is offering deep discounts again...
I just had to recommend Dell to a coworker with an immediate computer need because I couldn't in good conscience recommend the Mini. I hope Apple takes care of this... I really want to convert my friends and family.

Ravenflight

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2002
advocate said:
Refused? That's a funny way of looking at it. How does them not posting something imply that what they do post is not correct?
Well let's see. Think Secret did not post any rumors about the Intel Switch- even after it came out in the Wall Street Journal and the NY Times. Why? There are two possible scenarios. Either they had inside sources giving them the information and they ran scared and refused to publish it- even after it hit the WSJ and was safe to do so. Or... They had no inside knowledge of the biggest piece of news to ever come out of Apple, and had no sources to verify it even after it hit the mainstream media.

Either way you look at it, it doesn't do much for their credibility as a source of inside information.

blenderdude

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2005
woo hoo!

Not only have the stock models gone from 1 day to 5-7 days shipping (as you said) but BTO models have gone *down* from 7-10 days to 5-7 days... showing that any update would be happening soon! :D

Plecky

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
ok now that the shipping dates for the base model have become 5-7 days and the apple store was down for a bit tonight, I am now convinced as well that new mini updates are coming out soon. The question between now and early tomorrow is what will be updated? Also, will prices remain the same? And will there be any new BTO options with the new models? Oh I can't wait to see... :confused:

dazj

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2005
Gillingham, Kent, UK
blenderdude said:
woo hoo!

Not only have the stock models gone from 1 day to 5-7 days shipping (as you said) but BTO models have gone *down* from 7-10 days to 5-7 days... showing that any update would be happening soon! :D

Hmm... still 7 - 10 days for all stock and BTO in the UK... I'm just hoping this isn't another temporary lapse on some component availability holding things up... especially if the BTO have dropped from 7-10 to 5-7 elsewhere...

I bet someone from the Apple store reads these forums, and changes the availability just to tease us...

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
dazj said:
I bet someone from the Apple store reads these forums, and changes the availability just to tease us...

That would be funny.

But seriously, they are going to be updated.

I think it's going to be 1.67ghz and 1.5ghz, and 64mb vid card.

Ravenflight

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2002
Plecky said:
ok now that the shipping dates for the base model have become 5-7 days and the apple store was down for a bit tonight, I am now convinced as well that new mini updates are coming out soon. The question between now and early tomorrow is what will be updated? Also, will prices remain the same? And will there be any new BTO options with the new models? Oh I can't wait to see... :confused:
I know how you feel. Every time you think it's safe to jump in the water and buy, you hear the Jaws theme start up again. :D

dazj

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2005
Gillingham, Kent, UK
Just a thought...

The iBooks are now quoted as "Ready to ship: 7 days" (in the UK at least) which is a change from before yesterday of "7 - 10 days"...

Seeing as 7 days from now will be a Wednesday, given the time-lag between the US and UK store updates, could we then maybe assume that the countdown means updates next Tuesday? And could this include the mini line as well??

Well, someone had to get the "next Tuesday" thing going again... ;)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
dazj said:
Hmm... still 7 - 10 days for all stock and BTO in the UK... I'm just hoping this isn't another temporary lapse on some component availability holding things up... especially if the BTO have dropped from 7-10 to 5-7 elsewhere...

Recent changes in patterns of release dates would certainly indicate that you are correct. Just need to be patients and be ready for a surprise at any time.

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
blenderdude said:
woo hoo!

Also yesterday Mini's were labelled "Same Business Day" which was wierd because all the other products were delayed 1-3 days in the Canada Store. Today the Mini's are at 5-7 Business Days. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.