Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gndolfo

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
I've ordered an Incase Compact Sleeve for my 16" as I'm traveling and need to have something to put it in. Apple are saying it will fit the 15" or 16" and I do like their stuff.

I tried it in Apple Store en fits perfectly. I'm looking for something like this and probably gonna be this, because other sleeves from Amazon that I tested are too big or small.

Reactions: ascender

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I've previously liked the Icon Sleeves, but they've not been updated yet and are super-snug, so I'm assuming the 15 wouldn't fit the new 16, but the Compact Sleeve is nice and will mean I can leave my laptop bag at home.

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
FWIW I use a Foof bag (www.foofshop.com) that I bought for my 2015 model and as expected, it fits perfectly with the 16" model. Maybe even a tad better as it was damn snug with the 2015 model.

darwichee90

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2017
I've previously liked the Icon Sleeves, but they've not been updated yet and are super-snug, so I'm assuming the 15 wouldn't fit the new 16, but the Compact Sleeve is nice and will mean I can leave my laptop bag at home.

I can confirm that the newer Icon sleeves for Macbook pro 15 2017-2019 doesn´t fit the new 16, since i have this at home. But icon sleeve for the 2016 15 inch works well. That is a previous icon sleeve model, before they made a change to it.

Reactions: ascender

Psyclism

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Ordered one of these: Mission Leatherworks . Had one for my 2016 13" and loved it. Combined with a BestSkinsEver matte skin on my 13", after 3 years the laptop is still factory perfect. Of course, I'm very careful with my stuff and don't toss things around.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Anyone suggestions? I too am looking for a good bag or case for this beast of a machine!
Just read through this thread. I prefer bags from with Waterfield bags, or Tom Bihn but there's so many nice bags here, just scan the thread, many posts include images.

darwichee90

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2017
Has anyone found a nice sleeve or bag yet for the 16 inch? i´m not looking for a plastic case or something like that.

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
I know this is not what people want, but I use my Alienware Vindicator backpack to carry my "survival kit" (consists of some sort of UNIX workstation, chargers for all my devices, adapters, USB sticks etc) :)

Psyclism

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I can confirm that the TwelveSouth Journal for the 15" MBP fits the 16" MBP.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FL3RDQB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TwelveSouth says that it doesn't, but I went out on a limb and purchased one given the nice discount at Amazon, and it fits just fine. The only issue is that the elastic straps cut off the top edges of the screen, blocking the Apple icon on the left and Notification Center icon on the right, but I'm fairly certain that issue is just a "feature" of this case regardless of screen size. Otherwise the fit is actually perfect.

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
I can confirm that the TwelveSouth Journal for the 15" MBP fits the 16" MBP.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FL3RDQB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TwelveSouth says that it doesn't, but I went out on a limb and purchased one given the nice discount at Amazon, and it fits just fine. The only issue is that the elastic straps cut off the top edges of the screen, blocking the Apple icon on the left and Notification Center icon on the right, but I'm fairly certain that issue is just a "feature" of this case regardless of screen size. Otherwise the fit is actually perfect.

Looks really good, but does it block airflow?

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Using the Booq zip up Soft case I had for my 2013 15". It's a little big on the long side but it's a good enough fit where I won't buy a different one.

Psyclism

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Looks really good, but does it block airflow?

I haven't noticed the temps running any higher, so I don't think there are any significant airflow issues. Maybe if I were doing something really intensive, but for doing basic code editing and browsing, all seems fine.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
for me, any case without at least a small handle would be a mistake
my 16" would be much more susceptible to drops without it

ex: these 2 handles barely add anything to the case footprint or weight
these 2 both fit the MBP 16"
I'm using 1 for a Thinkpad X1 Extreme, and the other for a 16" MacBook Pro
the 2'nd one is a better pocket design: accessories stay separate. Helps keep a narrow profile.
They are both a handsome indigo blue.

1576206258901.png

1576206355643.png

Reactions: topcat001

MichaelMidnight

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
Los Angeles
for me, any case without at least a small handle would be a mistake
my 16" would be much more susceptible to drops without it

ex: these 2 handles barely add anything to the case footprint or weight
these 2 both fit the MBP 16"
I'm using 1 for a Thinkpad X1 Extreme, and the other for a 16" MacBook Pro
the 2'nd one is a better pocket design: accessories stay separate. Helps keep a narrow profile.
They are both a handsome indigo blue.

View attachment 882456

View attachment 882457
Oooooh! Thanks for these suggestions! I picked up the more traditional and horizontal Tomtoc one. But now I'm curious about the vertical V Voova one.

Reactions: MareLuce

LuciusWrong

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2019
Has anyone tried the 16" MBP in a Pelican 1085CC case? (Or any 15.4" MBP for that matter?)

I have a Pelican 1085 (w/foam) for my late 2013 15", which has been working okay...but getting it to fit means there isn't much foam around the edges.

So I'm wondering if anyone has tried the 1085CC (w/ laptop specific foam insert) and has a picture of the fit?

There would be some vertical space, so the idea is to combine both case options, with the egg crate foam on the top, and the laptop liner on bottom.... In all the internet, I actually found one guy who tried it...he says it's "perfect" for his 2012...but I'd like a clearer photo to see if I think it's perfect. https://jaustin.io/2012/11/extreme-protection-for-the-15-retina-macbook-pro-from-pelican/

Thing is I can't buy the laptop insert by itself...so looks like the only option is to spend $80 for the entire case w/ insert, on a hunch that it "should" work...

Oh yeah, I need a serious case because I spend more time on the road than at home. To keep packing simple, I throw everything in a big duffle bag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.