Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LuciusWrong

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2019

Probably not a rop-off...it could be a great value, but no way to tell from the listing.

Leather is kind of a niche product, and not well understood. The legal product descriptions for leather are intentionally confusing. And it doesn't help that Apple doesn't tell you what leather they used!

A common trap is a product that says "genuine leather", which is actually the OSB of leather...chopped up leather bits and leather dust glued together. A "genuine leather" case for a macbook might look very similar and would be a lot cheaper.

Top grain leather, or full grain leather, is what we assume we're getting.

If it is made from full grain or top grain leather, then it is a bargain. But the description doesn't say, so we don't know.

If you bought a side of leather, price starts at $100+, depending on quality. And maybe you could make 5-6 of these sleeves with a side of leather. Not sure, but if it really is quality material and workmanship, then it is probably fair.

Last edited:

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
I received and put on my i-Blason rugged case. The fit is perfect, and very little effort is needed to put it on and remove it. I removed the bottom plastic sheet for better heat dissipation. The case makes the laptop easier to pick up and carry. i find it too slippery otherwise.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I went with Tomtoc sleeve and couldn’t be happier. Pretty much any “old” 2012-2015 retina 15” sleeve should fit the 16” without issues.

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
What do people use for carrying the laptop during commute or a trip? I feel the sleeves don't offer enough protection against accidental pressure because they are soft. I'm carrying mine in my Alienware Vindicator backpack (heavily padded and built like a tank) with the i-Blason rugged case on. The case is always on for protection against nicks while out and ease of carrying. It does not add much bulk.

I must admit I'm a bit paranoid :rolleyes:. These machines feel so fragile though, in particular the lid/screen. Especially in comparison with my 2009 17" MBP or my Alienware.

icharry

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
Any try a CORK skin? Issues wit heat?

Also are there any briefcase type bags with good corner protection? Most bags have some foam but nothing that would really protect the computer if it fell on the corner.

LuciusWrong

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2019
If anyone is considering a Pelican case for their 16" macbook (or for pre-touch bar 15" machines), here is some info on the 1085cc case.

I have been using the 1085 case (w/ foam) with my 2013 15". With custom foal trimming, the machine fits well. There is 1/2" on either side, and 5/8" on front and back for padding. And of course the hard plastic spreads any impact that might happen.

With my new 16", i opted for the 1085CC case, with laptop specific insert. Pelican specifies this is for the 13" macbook, but that would leave a lot of room for the machine to slide around, not to mention that there is way too much vertical space. If you want a single case to transport 2 13" macbooks at the same time, by all means...

However, the non-touchbar 15" and the new 16" macbooks are a snug fit. (The 15" touchbar machines are a bit smaller, so may wiggle slightly?)

The laptop insert has "nubs" around the edges, which hold it away from the sides. And with the 16" (and pre touch bar 15"), it is a bit of a squeeze to get it inbetween these "nubs". The machine wants to sit on the nubs, but light pressure will seat it down. Once in place, the machine does not move front to back or side to side.

And you can use the machine while it is in the case. The case design does allow air flow around the computer.

The computer is about as thick as half the case, so i used the egg crate foam from my old 1085 case to fill the extra space. The foam fills all the empty space. I can shake the case, but the computer does not move.

If you want to get fancy, you can use the upper foam as dongle storage. The simplest way would be to cut out slots for the dongles to slip into. There is potentially enough space to store a power adapter in the case as well...but doing that might compromise some of the protection. And you would have to leverage your creativity and do something a little different.

Why not buy the 1095 case as Pelican suggests? Because it is too big. The extra space means more protection, but unless you are on safari, it is excessive. The 1085 fits perfectly in a back pack or duffle, and in terms of protection is several orders of magnitude better than all the other cases available.

If you want to try this, buy the 1085CC case (w/ laptop insert) plus the replacement foam kit for the 1085 case. You cannot buy the laptop insert by itself, just FYI.

Some people complain that these cases arent good enough, which is kind of dumb. Yes, they are not made from the same material as traditional Pelican cases...which is heavy. Instead they are made from polycarbonate, which is the stuff used for bullet proof windows. It is arguably a better material. And they do seal very well. After 6 years on the first one, it is still common for me to have to slightly pry it open to break the seal. Not a big deal, just hold the bottom part while lifting the latch.

Anyway, hope that helps someone. I havent found much info on these cases, so im throwing it up somewhere where people can find it.
20191222_141321.jpg
20191222_141309.jpg
20191222_140708.jpg
20191222_140644.jpg
20191222_140753.jpg

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
If anyone is considering a Pelican case for their 16" macbook (or for pre-touch bar 15" machines), here is some info on the 1085cc case.

I have been using the 1085 case (w/ foam) with my 2013 15". With custom foal trimming, the machine fits well. There is 1/2" on either side, and 5/8" on front and back for padding. And of course the hard plastic spreads any impact that might happen.

With my new 16", i opted for the 1085CC case, with laptop specific insert. Pelican specifies this is for the 13" macbook, but that would leave a lot of room for the machine to slide around, not to mention that there is way too much vertical space. If you want a single case to transport 2 13" macbooks at the same time, by all means...

However, the non-touchbar 15" and the new 16" macbooks are a snug fit. (The 15" touchbar machines are a bit smaller, so may wiggle slightly?)

The laptop insert has "nubs" around the edges, which hold it away from the sides. And with the 16" (and pre touch bar 15"), it is a bit of a squeeze to get it inbetween these "nubs". The machine wants to sit on the nubs, but light pressure will seat it down. Once in place, the machine does not move front to back or side to side.

And you can use the machine while it is in the case. The case design does allow air flow around the computer.

The computer is about as thick as half the case, so i used the egg crate foam from my old 1085 case to fill the extra space. The foam fills all the empty space. I can shake the case, but the computer does not move.

If you want to get fancy, you can use the upper foam as dongle storage. The simplest way would be to cut out slots for the dongles to slip into. There is potentially enough space to store a power adapter in the case as well...but doing that might compromise some of the protection. And you would have to leverage your creativity and do something a little different.

Why not buy the 1095 case as Pelican suggests? Because it is too big. The extra space means more protection, but unless you are on safari, it is excessive. The 1085 fits perfectly in a back pack or duffle, and in terms of protection is several orders of magnitude better than all the other cases available.

If you want to try this, buy the 1085CC case (w/ laptop insert) plus the replacement foam kit for the 1085 case. You cannot buy the laptop insert by itself, just FYI.

Some people complain that these cases arent good enough, which is kind of dumb. Yes, they are not made from the same material as traditional Pelican cases...which is heavy. Instead they are made from polycarbonate, which is the stuff used for bullet proof windows. It is arguably a better material. And they do seal very well. After 6 years on the first one, it is still common for me to have to slightly pry it open to break the seal. Not a big deal, just hold the bottom part while lifting the latch.

Anyway, hope that helps someone. I havent found much info on these cases, so im throwing it up somewhere where people can find it. View attachment 884248 View attachment 884249 View attachment 884250 View attachment 884251 View attachment 884252

Thanks for posting this. Finally a case which offers full protection while travelling, which is what I have been looking for.

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Can anyone confirm the tomtoc case doesn't have any risk of scratching the notebook when the zip is opened and closed?
I have this one and it’s perfect. This prominent border is between mbp and zip. But is amazon, if you test it and doesn’t like, just return it.
I can also confirm this. I too have tomtoc case for my 2018 15" MBP and it is a snug fit. But with a sufficient padding around the entire case, the zipper does not even come close to touching the MBP.

I love tomtoc case.

nudoru

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2012
Near Charlotte NC
Any try a CORK skin? Issues wit heat?

With a skin just on the top, you're not going to have issues with heat. The issue may be removing it if you want to later. I've seen horror stories of wood and other types not coming off well and falling apart leaving a lot of residue on the case.

warminthewinter

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2019
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Recently purchased a 2019 MacBook Pro and am looking for a decent sleeve to store it in when not in use.
After going back through some posts in the thread, and doing some searching, I think I've decided on the Incase compact sleeve ;

Anyone else here have any thoughts on this if they currently use this? Satisfied/Dissatisfied ?
Any issues with the zipper scratching the MacBook when putting in/pulling out?

-

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I've used a few
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Recently purchased a 2019 MacBook Pro and am looking for a decent sleeve to store it in when not in use.
After going back through some posts in the thread, and doing some searching, I think I've decided on the Incase compact sleeve ;

Anyone else here have any thoughts on this if they currently use this? Satisfied/Dissatisfied ?
Any issues with the zipper scratching the MacBook when putting in/pulling out?

-

I've used those on a few MacBooks in recent times and they're really good. I've not had any issue with the zipper scratching the laptop and the pocket on the back is quite handy although a wee bit on the shallow side to be of any great use.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I've used a few

I've used those on a few MacBooks in recent times and they're really good. I've not had any issue with the zipper scratching the laptop and the pocket on the back is quite handy although a wee bit on the shallow side to be of any great use.

Looked at these today actually. Look decent, like how they have a pocket. Could the pocket fit the charger and cable in?

I’ve bought an Amazon generic sleeve “for MBP 13” but although it fits, it isn’t an exact fit I’d say, as in it moves around a bit.

Does this incase fit perfect? I don’t want the zip inside hitting the MBP but does it move about a bit inside etc?

Thanks

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Looked at these today actually. Look decent, like how they have a pocket. Could the pocket fit the charger and cable in?

I’ve bought an Amazon generic sleeve “for MBP 13” but although it fits, it isn’t an exact fit I’d say, as in it moves around a bit.

Does this incase fit perfect? I don’t want the zip inside hitting the MBP but does it move about a bit inside etc?

Thanks

The pocket on the back isn’t great - I had a cleaning cloth and charging cable in it. On the 15” one you might get a couple of cables, but no way a charger and plug. Maybe the charging block on its own?

The 13” one is even smaller (obviously) and once you have the laptop in, there’s not much Gove in the back pocket.

it’s fairly snug in there and nicely padded. If you’re wanting something snug with more drop protection the InCase Icon Sleeve is very good but is about 1/3 more expensive.

Reactions: MrMister111

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Should have mentioned it’s the 13” one yes. So the pocket isn’t the best, wouldn’t want it pressing against the MBP tbh.

I want to be able to carry the charger block, lead with the MBP.

I’m not too bothered on physical protection, drop protection to be fair, it’s more to keep together, and safe in house.

warminthewinter

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2019
I've used a few

thanks so much for the reply it helps! I was looking at the icon sleeve as well, but I liked the idea of having a pocket, even though its a small one

I’m not too bothered on physical protection, drop protection to be fair, it’s more to keep together, and safe in house.

And I'm in pretty much the same position as this with my new 13" MacBook Pro. The sleeve is mostly to protect it while in the house. I'm sure it will go out with me from time to time, but for the most part it will stay in house.

Thanks to the both of you.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
thanks so much for the reply it helps! I was looking at the icon sleeve as well, but I liked the idea of having a pocket, even though its a small one

And I'm in pretty much the same position as this with my new 13" MacBook Pro. The sleeve is mostly to protect it while in the house. I'm sure it will go out with me from time to time, but for the most part it will stay in house.

Thanks to the both of you.

Are you buying one? Let us know if so and pics, and fit would be great to thanks

warminthewinter

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2019
Are you buying one? Let us know if so and pics, and fit would be great to thanks

I did by the incase compact sleeve last night. Haven't had much time with it but I think it will do fine for my needs. I don't use a case on my MacBook so I can't comment on the fit with a case on, but it seems to be a pretty nice fit without a case. Doesn't feel like it slides around or anything when it is all zipped up.
The material on the inside seems pretty nice too.

a few quick pics.

I noticed that I can kinda fold the zipper back too when it is opened to push the zipper out of the way as well when removing and placing the MacBook in the sleeve.
0.jpeg
0-1.jpeg
0-2.jpeg

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Great thanks for that, how is the pocket? Will it fit the charger and lead and not be pushing tightly on it as too damage it?

warminthewinter

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2019
Great thanks for that, how is the pocket? Will it fit the charger and lead and not be pushing tightly on it as too damage it?

the pocket is pretty tight but it does fit the charger and lead. I can still slip the MacBook Pro in and out easily. Personally I probably won't stick the charger in there much, maybe just the lead as when I do take this out of the house I will probably have the sleeve in another bag that I will be carrying so I can just slip the charger in there.
0-3.jpeg

Reactions: ascender
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.