Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Do any of the cases that are sold on amazon fit the 16 inches MacBook Pro? I got the ESR one in the mail yesterday and when Put it on I noticed it did not fit well on the bottom and the top case was not snapping on, it is already returned. When is Tech 21 or In-case or Spigen coming out with their own version? But I do have to say the Uppercase Keyboard Cover fits Excellent and has no issues.

Reactions: watchmainspring

evoixdan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
I like the Thule attaché for the 15”. I’ve been using it for 3 weeks now. Already taken it on two plane trips, to and from the office. Love it. Didn’t think I would like it because it’s thicker than what I’m use to but it allows me to store all my work papers/folders, pens/pencils/highlighters as well as enough room for dongles and flash drives, cigarette USB charger all of which are handy if you travel a lot for work. I’ll post pics in a min.

Codeline

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2020
I have a 2015 spare case for my MacBook and it fits the new 16’’. The MacBook 16’’ is very slightly smaller than my 15’’ MacBook but the case fits on, a bit slack but it will do until the people at either incase or tech21 bring out new ones.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Do any of the cases that are sold on amazon fit the 16 inches MacBook Pro? I got the ESR one in the mail yesterday and when Put it on I noticed it did not fit well on the bottom and the top case was not snapping on, it is already returned. When is Tech 21 or In-case or Spigen coming out with their own version? But I do have to say the Uppercase Keyboard Cover fits Excellent and has no issues.

In my (limited) experience, all cases designed for the 15" 2012-2015 rMBP will fit the 16" MBP just fine.

2012-2015 dimensions: 14.13 x 9.73 x 0.71 inches
2019 16" dimensions: 14.1 x 9.7 x 0.64 inches

Maurizio Marra

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2020
Just received from Amazon a JeTech sleeve (15.4” size) for my new MBP 16”: good fit, no way for the zippers to scratch the laptop. Great price/quality ratio. Suggested.

Reactions: Daverru

scubachap

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
UK
If anyone is considering a Pelican case for their 16" macbook (or for pre-touch bar 15" machines), here is some info on the 1085cc case.

The laptop insert has "nubs" around the edges, which hold it away from the sides. And with the 16" (and pre touch bar 15"), it is a bit of a squeeze to get it inbetween these "nubs". The machine wants to sit on the nubs, but light pressure will seat it down. Once in place, the machine does not move front to back or side to side.

Thanks ever so much for posting this. I've been looking for a Peli or small flight case for a while for my 16" MBP. I'd pretty much given up (I even have a different peli type case packed up on my desk I'm about to return due to a very poor fit). I'm finding it next to impossible to spec something from the online specs descriptions and I'd actually dismissed this case due to it being billed as for a 14" machine!

So, can I confirm that you're happily using the 1085cc happily for a 16" MacBook Pro? And pressing it into the liner doesn't stress anything mark the computer? It's just the online descriptions I'm reading seems to suggest that the biggest machine that will fit is the 13" pro.

LuciusWrong

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2019
Thanks ever so much for posting this. I've been looking for a Peli or small flight case for a while for my 16" MBP. I'd pretty much given up (I even have a different peli type case packed up on my desk I'm about to return due to a very poor fit). I'm finding it next to impossible to spec something from the online specs descriptions and I'd actually dismissed this case due to it being billed as for a 14" machine!

So, can I confirm that you're happily using the 1085cc happily for a 16" MacBook Pro? And pressing it into the liner doesn't stress anything mark the computer? It's just the online descriptions I'm reading seems to suggest that the biggest machine that will fit is the 13" pro.

Sorry, just saw this. Yes, I'm happy with it. I've used the 1085 case for 6 years with my old machine (same size) including traveling all the time for work for 2.5 years...and now I use this upgraded setup (1085cc) with the new machine. Works perfect. Better than the foam I custom trimmed.

Just make sure to buy the foam kit separately to use in the top half. Or you can buy foam at a craft store if you want to do a little diy.

Last edited:
Reactions: scubachap

scubachap

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
UK
Sorry, just saw this. Yes, I'm happy with it. I've used the 1085 case for 6 years with my old machine (same size) including traveling all the time for work for 2.5 years...and now I use this upgraded setup (1085cc) with the new machine. Works perfect. Better than the foam I custom trimmed.

Just make sure to buy the foam kit separately to use in the top half. Or you can buy foam at a craft store if you want to do a little diy.
Great - thanks very much for the reply. I'll price it all up!

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Any good transparent hard case for the MBP 16" that will not scratch the laptop? I bought one case from Amazon but I cannot put the top cover on without using large force that may scratch the surface of the laptop.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Any good transparent hard case for the MBP 16" that will not scratch the laptop? I bought one case from Amazon but I cannot put the top cover on without using large force that may scratch the surface of the laptop.

“Hard case” and “won’t scratch” are tricky together. Generally speaking, it’s not the case itself that scratches the machine. It will get scratched by dirt/dust (especially tiny sand particles) getting between the case and the machine.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
“Hard case” and “won’t scratch” are tricky together. Generally speaking, it’s not the case itself that scratches the machine. It will get scratched by dirt/dust (especially tiny sand particles) getting between the case and the machine.

Yes but the case I got has three big clips. The only way is to use large force to push them through the MBP which could scratch the laptop. I don't want to take the risk.

I remember 20 years ago people were complaining that dirt/dust got in between the case and the machine. I remember some people said that they bought their case to protect their laptop from scratch but ironically, the case scratched their laptop.

macfrik

Contributor
Mar 21, 2009
Utah
I myself use the Apple branded brown leather sleeve on my silver 16" MBP. I like it overall for daily use as I just throw it into my Incase ICON backpack. For the weekend, I leave my backpack and head on onto local coffee shop using just the sleeve. Perfect combo

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
I narrowed down my selection of laptop sleeves for my Macbook Pro 16" to these three.

They have the internal dimension to accommodate a 14.09" x 9.68" x 0.64" notebook.

I prefer a model with a briefcase handle when I travel with only the notebook.

Best Sellers Rank #206 in Laptop Sleeves
Date First Available January 16, 2019
$21.99

71O9u1ZsjUL._SL1300_.jpg

Best Sellers Rank #678 in Laptop Sleeves
Date first listed on Amazon December 5, 2019
$19.99

71-iHgSD8CL._SL1200_.jpg

Best Sellers Rank #2,495 in Laptop Sleeves
Date first listed on Amazon November 14, 2019
$17.99 + 5% coupon

71MzkGApyqL._SL1500_.jpg

What makes the last item interesting is that it has a provision to attach it to handle of a carry on baggage.

71QUW2EpMML._SL1500_.jpg

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
How do you like your tom toc?

It's Best Sellers Rank is #90 in Laptop Sleeves

for me, any case without at least a small handle would be a mistake
my 16" would be much more susceptible to drops without it

ex: these 2 handles barely add anything to the case footprint or weight
these 2 both fit the MBP 16"
I'm using 1 for a Thinkpad X1 Extreme, and the other for a 16" MacBook Pro
the 2'nd one is a better pocket design: accessories stay separate. Helps keep a narrow profile.
They are both a handsome indigo blue.

View attachment 882456

View attachment 882457

watchmainspring

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2005
Boston
I narrowed down my selection of laptop sleeves for my Macbook Pro 16" to these three.

They have the internal dimension to accommodate a 14.09" x 9.68" x 0.64" notebook.

I prefer a model with a briefcase handle when I travel with only the notebook.

Best Sellers Rank #206 in Laptop Sleeves
Date First Available January 16, 2019
$21.99

71O9u1ZsjUL._SL1300_.jpg

Best Sellers Rank #678 in Laptop Sleeves
Date first listed on Amazon December 5, 2019
$19.99

71-iHgSD8CL._SL1200_.jpg

Best Sellers Rank #2,495 in Laptop Sleeves
Date first listed on Amazon November 14, 2019
$17.99 + 5% coupon

71MzkGApyqL._SL1500_.jpg

What makes the last item interesting is that it has a provision to attach it to handle of a carry on baggage.

71QUW2EpMML._SL1500_.jpg
what's with the loose iPad with accessories poised to scratch it's screen (unless it falls out, first)?

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Thinking about ordering the Harber London - Laptop Case. A little concerned about the zipper scruffing my 16MBP. Anyone have any experience with this case?

Cheers

Laptop-case-2-DB_750x.jpg

Source: Link

Psyclism

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Thinking about ordering the Harber London - Laptop Case. A little concerned about the zipper scruffing my 16MBP. Anyone have any experience with this case?

Cheers

Laptop-case-2-DB_750x.jpg

Source: Link

Can't help you with that particular case, but I've had great luck and been very happy with my Mission Leather Co portfolio sleeve for my 16". Used one daily with my 13" for nearly three years, and I couldn't have been happier with it. The dark brown version is a very soft glove leather that doesn't have much structure, however the other colors are made with a rigid leather that does provide a substantial amount of protection. I purchased the dark brown leather, but had them double up the felt padding, and I'm content with the results.

iPad_Portfolio_DB_Open_65511ed2-bbf8-47da-9ba5-afc759d9274d.jpg

Reactions: hawkeye_a

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Can't help you with that particular case, but I've had great luck and been very happy with my Mission Leather Co portfolio sleeve for my 16". Used one daily with my 13" for nearly three years, and I couldn't have been happier with it. The dark brown version is a very soft glove leather that doesn't have much structure, however the other colors are made with a rigid leather that does provide a substantial amount of protection. I purchased the dark brown leather, but had them double up the felt padding, and I'm content with the results.

Cheers for the suggestion. And i take it those metal buttons haven't scruffed your MBP?

ramenbao

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2020
Hoping to get some advice...I'm torn between the Harber leather sleeve and the TomToc 360 sleeve for my 16". I know they're both quite different products but I'm just not sure.

Can anyone with the TomToc sleeve tell me if it would fit inside a backpack sleeve?

ramenbao

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2020
I received the Harber London 16" Sleeve today and the shipping was extremely fast coming from Spain -> NY.

My only nitpick is that I was expecting it to be much tighter initially but instead my computer almost slipped out. Here are some pics to show the amount of space I'm talking about and I've already contacted Harber about this.

I can't help but be a little disappointed as originally I was eyeing the Woolnut sleeve...Should have gone with that.

Attachments

• IMG_8127.jpeg
    IMG_8127.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_8128.jpeg
    IMG_8128.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_8129.jpeg
    IMG_8129.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_8130.jpeg
    IMG_8130.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 252

OceanFrog

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
I’m getting my new MacBook Pro 13 in a few days.

I’m probably going with a case/sleeve (as opposed to a skin) but a bit confused reading through this thread for recommendations.

I don’t want a zip, and I don’t want pockets on the sleeve.

is there any consensus on what is best? Or any recommendations?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.