Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

• Yes

Votes: 221 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 228 50.8%

• Total voters

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
Got my ‘16 back yesterday with screen replaced and it seems to be doing great now. Too bad I already got the ‘18.

My ‘16 is going up for sale tomorrow, man it’s sad to let it go after so many Apple store visits and repairs.

jomarr

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, if you have staingate issues then take it in and be firm about it. One think i would say is to clean the screen and make sure the staingate area is clearly visible. They should fix it for free.

Just got my MBP display fixed free of charge.

mkj1986

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2019
Wow, I am amazed at the amount of people that are posting similar problems I just experienced with mine few weeks ago which I created a thread about. It’s like it is all timed to happen.

I took my MBPro ‘16 to the same Apple store I had a terrible experience in few weeks ago with them refusing the service and leaving the only option of $475 LCD replacement. I tried to convince manager and told him how many problems I had with this computer, but he still refused the service for free of charge claiming it’s an external damage and they need to diagnose it ( even though I diagnosed it for them myself already that it’s the cable with a lot of evidence).

Today, I took it to the Same Apple store again and fortunately the same person that I had a bad experience with, oh this really felt good this time without questions asked, he took the computer in for a repair.
View attachment 838751

I have the same issue and they are charging me $475 + taxes mentioning that its a graphic card issue and not a flexgate related issue. How did you get if fixed and did you pay anything out of pocket. I have 2016 MBP with Touch Bar and its out of warranty.

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
I have the same issue and they are charging me $475 + taxes mentioning that its a graphic card issue and not a flexgate related issue. How did you get if fixed and did you pay anything out of pocket. I have 2016 MBP with Touch Bar and its out of warranty.
Take it to different apple store if around.

Also try the computer with external monitor because if it’s graphics card it should show something. Graphics card is internal problem and has nothing to do with you, you need to really push them or talk to a manager.

As well as try to play around with the lid and see if at certain angle the screen comes back working.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire

Also try the computer with external monitor because if it’s graphics card it should show something.

As well as try to play around with the lid and see if at certain angle the screen comes back working.

They should fix it even if it’s a graphics card problem Graphics card should last longer than three years. Apple has had a long history of graphics repair programs.

Reactions: ScreenSavers

mkj1986

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2019

Also try the computer with external monitor because if it’s graphics card it should show something.

I have appointment tomorrow at the same location where i went last week. Hope i get a different rep/manager this time. I would try out suggestion you mentioned and give a try.
[doublepost=1559333092][/doublepost]
They should fix it even if it’s a graphics card problem Graphics card should last longer than three years. Apple has had a long history of graphics repair programs.

I told them how can it cannot last more than 2 years. He is like, warranty is for 1 year and it would last atleast 1 year. He started comparing to car and says that its like flat tire, it can happen anytime anywhere. I was like, dude you are comparing Car worth $25000 to electronics worth $1500 and the cost to repair flat tire is $20 and here you are talking **** worth $475. He is like this is the policy, take it or fix it.

Komplexus

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2019
Berlin, Germany

---

Edit: I got it repaired for free! Don't let anyone fool you – it's the flexgate problem! I went to an Apple support in Germany and they immediately identified it as the flexgate problem and took it in for repair (without me paying a cent)!

---

Wow finally I found people with the exact same problem as I’m experiencing right now! I need help!

I have the 2016 13“ Mac Book Pro without Touch Bar (I bought in spring 2017). Since 3 weeks my screen shows pink and blue horizontal lines and the screen turns off when I open it over around 45° (the problems got worse over the last three weeks – first it was only the horizontal lines, then the screen turned off over 90° and now it’s as described).

I took it to the Apple Store twice, but the staff there says that it’s not the flaxgate problem and wants me to pay 500€. They did some tests and I tried make them explain what they think is the problem and why. (I’m currently in Taipei and sadly the language barrier is quite high). These are some things they said:
  • “Display and logic board needs to be replaced (whole display with cables).“
  • “If it would be the flaxgate problem, the apple logo would shine through while the screen is black.“
  • “They argument that my screen turns black only over 90° and not earlier so it cannot be the flaxgate problem.“ (?) Well, now my screen turns off over around 45° so that argument doesn’t count anymore I guess.
So, they think it’s the logic board which has to be replaced, but with all due respect towards the experts at the apple store, I just can’t believe so, if so many people having the same problem and especially because my Mac Book is exactly the model where the flaxgate problem appears.

Is anyone here more experienced with that? How can I convince them to repair my Mac Book within the repair program? Does anyone have an advice for me?

Don’t get me wrong – if they can explain with good arguments why my Mac Book has a different problem I accept it, but that simply hasn’t been the case so far.

Last edited:

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA

Wow finally I found people with the exact same problem as I’m experiencing right now! I need help!

I have the 2016 13“ Mac Book Pro without Touch Bar (I bought in spring 2017). Since 3 weeks my screen shows pink and blue horizontal lines and the screen turns off when I open it over around 45° (the problems got worse over the last three weeks – first it was only the horizontal lines, then the screen turned off over 90° and now it’s as described).

I took it to the Apple Store twice, but the staff there says that it’s not the flaxgate problem and wants me to pay 500€. They did some tests and I tried make them explain what they think is the problem and why. (I’m currently in Taipei and sadly the language barrier is quite high). These are some things they said:
  • “Display and logic board needs to be replaced (whole display with cables).“
  • “If it would be the flaxgate problem, the apple logo would shine through while the screen is black.“
  • “They argument that my screen turns black only over 90° and not earlier so it cannot be the flaxgate problem.“ (?) Well, now my screen turns off over around 45° so that argument doesn’t count anymore I guess.
So, they think it’s the logic board which has to be replaced, but with all due respect towards the experts at the apple store, I just can’t believe so, if so many people having the same problem and especially because my Mac Book is exactly the model where the flaxgate problem appears.

Is anyone here more experienced with that? How can I convince them to repair my Mac Book within the repair program? Does anyone have an advice for me?

Don’t get me wrong – if they can explain with good arguments why my Mac Book has a different problem I accept it, but that simply hasn’t been the case so far.
Seems identical to my problem I had. I got in a real bad argument with few retail store employees and a manager before the program came out and they said nothing about the logic board. I don’t know maybe that was the reason my computer was accepted the second time. It seemed that they knew exactly what it was.

I took the second time which was last week after the repair program came out and got the same person again and He didn’t even question and took the computer in for repair.

I did not get any explanation either other than screen replacement that fixed this issue.

Whatever you do just don’t try to make any threats. I showed them the angle my screen worked and also pictures of external monitor connected where it worked perfect on the monitor.

Komplexus

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2019
Berlin, Germany
Seems identical to my problem I had. I got in a real bad argument with few retail store employees and a manager before the program came out and they said nothing about the logic board. I don’t know maybe that was the reason my computer was accepted the second time. It seemed that they knew exactly what it was.

I took the second time which was last week after the repair program came out and got the same person again and He didn’t even question and took the computer in for repair.

I did not get any explanation either other than screen replacement that fixed this issue.

Whatever you do just don’t try to make any threats. I showed them the angle my screen worked and also pictures of external monitor connected where it worked perfect on the monitor.

Alright that gives me some hope. They did the external monitor test themselves the first time I went to the Apple Store (everything worked perfectly on the external monitor). Back then the staff told me it is a LCD Problem. The second time they were talking about a Logic Board Problem …

slamtennis

macrumors member
May 5, 2019
Got my Display repaired for free. Dropped off Wednesday night and picked up Saturday afternoon, so quick turnaround.

The genius bar employee claims that I am the first person to report this issue as far as he was concerned. He initially thought I was bringing in the computer for the antireflective coating issue. He was surprised there was a repair program for the backlight issue...Does Apple not educate their employees?

Overall, the whole repair was problem free! Happy to have a nice clean screen again. We will see what problem I run into next though...hopefully none.

DigitalOperator

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2019
I just had my 2017 15" MacBook Pro fixed free of charge with Apple Australia.

It was a 1-day turnaround, which was impressive. Unfortunately, the new display panel had two (albeit it small) spotlights to the left and right of the MacBook Pro logo, so they promptly took it back, and replaced the entire screen again, another next day turn around. Along with this, they replaced the keyboard (keys stuck), and by default gave me a new battery, and new top case.

Good experience, despite the "inconvenience".

Reactions: ScreenSavers

rsg1010

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2014
I just had my 2017 15" MacBook Pro fixed free of charge with Apple Australia.

It was a 1-day turnaround, which was impressive. Unfortunately, the new display panel had two (albeit it small) spotlights to the left and right of the MacBook Pro logo, so they promptly took it back, and replaced the entire screen again, another next day turn around. Along with this, they replaced the keyboard (keys stuck), and by default gave me a new battery, and new top case.

Good experience, despite the "inconvenience".

Was this in warranty or out of warranty? I’m curious to see if they are beginning to add other MacBook Pro models.

DigitalOperator

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2019
Was this in warranty or out of warranty? I’m curious to see if they are beginning to add other MacBook Pro models.

This was out of Apple warranty, but within Australian Consumer Law (2 years). I didn't actually bring up the consumer law thing though, and got no stress from the tech, so make of that what you will.

Reactions: rsg1010

p-dog

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
London
This was out of Apple warranty, but within Australian Consumer Law (2 years). I didn't actually bring up the consumer law thing though, and got no stress from the tech, so make of that what you will.

Which Apple store did you go to?

I had my flex gate issue repaired by Apple Sydney on George Street, and my Macbook returned with the touch bar not working at all and the keyboard wouldn’t recognise some keys.

Honestly what rubbish quality control.

DigitalOperator

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2019
Which Apple store did you go to?

I had my flex gate issue repaired by Apple Sydney on George Street, and my Macbook returned with the touch bar not working at all and the keyboard wouldn’t recognise some keys.

Honestly what rubbish quality control.

Ouch, I went to the Castle Hill store, as they were the only store at the time which had an immediate availability.

ywliow

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2019
Our org has experienced this twice since Jan 19'; Once on 13" 2016 MBP, once on a 15" 2016 MBP. Apple is refunding the repair cost from Jan 19'; they have not included the 15" MBP models yet, I expect that will come soon hopefully. For now, we'll have to pay for that repair, ouch! Apple will hopefully take care of their customers, they certainly have the resources. As new hardware continues to get smaller and lighter, they need to concentrate on quality IMO.
I plan to send my 2017 MBP for repair. Will Apple refund me the repair cost if Apple initiate recall program 1 year later?

p-dog

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
London
Ouch, I went to the Castle Hill store, as they were the only store at the time which had an immediate availability.

Mine was originally purchased in the UK, but they spent a further 10 days repairing it - new top case with the 2017 keyboard (British layout) / Touch Bar / battery. It’s working fine now! Nice to have a new battery as well!

Frieg

macrumors member
May 9, 2017
Got my Display repaired for free. Dropped off Wednesday night and picked up Saturday afternoon, so quick turnaround.

The genius bar employee claims that I am the first person to report this issue as far as he was concerned. He initially thought I was bringing in the computer for the antireflective coating issue. He was surprised there was a repair program for the backlight issue...Does Apple not educate their employees?

Overall, the whole repair was problem free! Happy to have a nice clean screen again. We will see what problem I run into next though...hopefully none.

They DO train them, to do exactly what he did. even if he had 50 customers with the same issue before he would have told you the same.

jackiez

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
We need to collect and organize a database on this user issue.

Here's my screen. The bottom 5% is completely gone now. 2016 non-touchbar MBP. I consider myself lucky that I can still do some work around it. I haven't taken it in yet, but I don't have the extended warranty. It happened (gradually) after I got my keyboard replaced, though. Coincidence?

3sCUbQ8.jpg

same here i just had my macbook pro 2016 ntb replaced with new top case and collected it today, but just after few hours of usage the stage light appeared. how coincidence

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
same here i just had my macbook pro 2016 ntb replaced with new top case and collected it today, but just after few hours of usage the stage light appeared. how coincidence
Luckily they're repairing the flex screen issue for free now, but I haven't had the time to bring it in yet since I use my MacBook for work and don't have a backup.

jackiez

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Luckily they're repairing the flex screen issue for free now, but I haven't had the time to bring it in yet since I use my MacBook for work and don't have a backup.

Ya hooray to apple, just handed over my lap again for screen replacement program today, although the stage light effect is clearly there but was told it will still need to get checked first, probably just normal procedures.

Did your webcam fail too? Found out my webcam not working at all few months back (barely used, so few that I can even count on my fingers the number of times being used), it might be a sign that the flexgate issue will be appearing very soon.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Ya hooray to apple, just handed over my lap again for screen replacement program today, although the stage light effect is clearly there but was told it will still need to get checked first, probably just normal procedures.

Did your webcam fail too? Found out my webcam not working at all few months back (barely used, so few that I can even count on my fingers the number of times being used), it might be a sign that the flexgate issue will be appearing very soon.
That's interesting, but I've never used my camera for anything.

rabe83

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
I bought my MBP pro 13" in August 2017 in the USA.
A few days ago suddenly the screen starts showing lines and black spots but they change when I move the lid. I also checked the videocard but it is definitely the connection with the screen. Because I am in the Netherlands I brought it in at a Apple Premium Service Provider and they acknowledged the problem as a known issue (with MBP 2016). Unfortunately the device (MBP 2017) is out of warranty and the repair program is only for MBP 2016 so I got invoiced for a 'known' issue that is caused by design...

Does anyone have an idea how I can bring this forward to Apple as NL Apple Care is not supportive and they refer to Apple US? Or is it just waiting for them to open up the programme for MBP 2017 (hopefully) and sent them the invoice?
Thanks!

kindredmisfits

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2019
I took my MacBook Pro into a Apple Store because it had the flexgate issue where the screen turns completely off when the laptop is opened past about 40 degrees. The technician I spoke with said they'd 'never heard of the issue before' which either means they are just towing the company policy to deny manufacturing issues or don't do their research.

My repairs came to about $600.

I've since contacted Apple Support to have the repairs reimbursed under the 13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program and they are doing everything they can to deny the request.

On most of my calls with one CSR, she has ended the calls with, "I'm going to do more research before I tell you that you won't be reimbursed." She then came to the conclusion that my reimbursement was valid under the program and said I had to contact the Apple Store where I got the repair to get the refund directly from them.

After speaking with the Apple Store, the Repair Manager said I had to get the refund through Apple Support because there wasn't anything wrong with the repairs. And the 13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program is an Apple Support program.

I followed up and ended up talking to another CSR (as the first one was away) who said my repair was not eligible because the focus of the entire repair was broken keys!? (Not according to my invoice where the screen was replace and no key parts were listed).

I left a message with the new CSR and haven't heard back in weeks.

I have bought Apple computers for 20 years as a graphic designer. And have no interest in using PCs. But this disrespectful customer service is ludicrous!

Anyone else having trouble getting valid repairs reimbursed?

Hand_Model

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2018
Apple fixed my 15" MBP with flexgate issue for free under their quality program. On a side note, I am also on my 3rd keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.