Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

• Yes

Votes: 221 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 228 50.8%

• Total voters

Carrotcruncher

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2019
Wow ! This has completely put me if buying a new MacBook, I won’t be buying one until Tim is gone, the man is a cash obsessed maniac, I remember Steve saying “We don’t ship junk”
Those days are gone people, looks like they now only ship junk !

Reactions: simonmet

TIGGLEonthetum

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
My 13inch MacBook Pro TB, late 2016, actually purchased in Dec 2016, suffered the backlight issue and would shut off when raising the screen, moving the screen etc. I took it in to Apple a few days ago and they immediately agreed it was a known issue. They took it at 11:30am and it was ready to collect with a new screen by 7:30pm the same day.

Stanzi

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2020
My daughter has a 2017 MacBook Pro (touchbar, 13 inch) which is exhibiting similar problems (see image).

image.png

The machine was taken to an Apple repair centre and they advised that it was not covered by the repair programme as the machine is too new. As such, the repair (replacement screen) would cost £575. Ouch! Is it thought likely Apple will be extending the range of machines covered by this repair programme or is my daughter now the not-so-proud owner of an expensive paperweight (until she can afford to repair or replace)?

raymanh

Suspended
Aug 27, 2017
Those with 2016 nTB 13" machines should note the 4 year window (from purchase date) is closing soon for free screen replacement if they have a flex gate issue.

Mine suddenly had this problem a couple of weeks ago. Took it to Apple, free display replacement.

I'd also advise getting a whole new top case which includes a new battery. This happens when they replace your keyboard under their keyboard repair program. I got mine done at the same time as the screen repair. Even though I didn't have any keyboard issues when I took it in, I told them I had recently had some keys sticking and that was enough. Again, completely free.

Do both of these, get a basically new laptop. Saw that had it not been free, it would've cost around $950!!

Karnan4U

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2020
Facing the stage light issue on 15 inch MBP 2016. called apple care and was told that it would cost $850 to fix it. Any of you got it fixed from apple?

on a serious note, I wouldn't be buying anymore apple products. Done being fooled by apple.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rashy and simonmet

Karnan4U

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2020
Nope. It’s built into the display. Apple quietly lengthened the cable by 2mm in 2018s so Apple is aware of it, whether they admit it or not. I’d like to hear them try and BLAME the 2018 on the screen manufacturers! Like they couldn’t get 2mm shorter ones! So yeah, document, document, document. Creating a work history at Apple Store is the best way to get things covered. People keep opting out of AppleCare but I’ve put it on every device it was offered over the years and when I walk in, especially armed with knowledge of what the problem already is, and sheer numbers of people affected, print outs of GPU or Kernal panics or Bridge OS crashes from T2 chip mysteriously left out of new 2019 iMacs you know, just like 2mm longer cables in 2018, THEY know.

Sadly take your pick, T2 chip with multiple daily to weekly Bridge OS crashes unsolved since Jan 2018 iMac Pro release + total elimination of data recovery ports for the SSD from the board or reliable 2017 T1 chip that pretty much fixed everything about the 2016 Models while adding 10bit H265 HEVC hardware acceleration necessary for almost all native 4K streaming like Netflix 4K and needs 7th Gen iGPU to confirm the HDCP 2.2 DRM compliance as well, but have the 2mm shorter display cable.

The one you can certainly rule out is 2016 8 bit Skylake MBP b/c speakers pop, 1st gen butterfly, shorter display cable, but basically just having to do a hybrid decode of 10bit H265 that still puts more on CPU despite graphics driver updates than claims made and until Metal 2 in High Sierra was entirely a software decode (decompresss & play) done entirely with a CPU load 50X H264.

Translations: You can use brute horsepower to do 10bit H265 even on an Ivy Bridge but with 50X CPU load to play that same 50% smaller H265 1080p video file you’ll be hard pressed to not affect battery life. (4K is pointless on a 2K Retina laptop btw, just makes CPU also have to transcode and downscale resolution to 2K while decompressing still giant 60GB file sizes) so even if you have 4K external monitor, definitely don’t mirror display on 2016!

I’d save in 1080p and let monitor do the upscale (again not mirroring, extend display) while being able to stream at even smaller 10bit 1080p H265 birate. Just make sure you match Chroma and refresh rates or upscale will look like garbage. Done right, it’s basically just doubling pixel density and basically indistinguishable from native 4K, even on a Roku Ultra if you Roku required 4K60HZ HDMI port on TV and go into Roku hidden menus and match up Chroma to 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 etc.

I’ve yet to upgrade my 1080p TVs b/c my Bravia gets so many compliments 10 yrs later, but 90% of people complain of upscale results are using 4K30HZ HDMI ports on TVs with same Roku requiring 4K60HZ and not matching Chroma etc. I now have a 4K HDR Apple TV and lack of mKv support (meant) my server having to decompress and demux and extract the MP4 and THEN reencode and COMPRESS video before sending (encoding 10bit x265 is even MORE taxing on a CPU than decoding, so my QNAP TS-451 Intel Dual Core Bay Trail J1800 w/Intel 4000HD while having Intel Quick Sync (hardware acceleration for H264) couldn’t handle 10bit x265 demux and re-encode and I had to use Infuse 5 as workaround because is supports mKv and about every audio and video codec patent because it pays for them! Recently though, Intel must of down some graphic driver software changes or “something” allowing to “direct play” mKv to get sent and demuxed by much more capable A10X chip, because I now and able to stream x265 mkv using PLEX. PLEX was also rebuilt from ground up and could be something on their end but Roku supports mkv and about every 10bit x265 HEVC in existence uses software that packages as AAC mkv? That’s why I felt forced to go Roku ultra (or Nvidia shield) but Apple TV interface and remote is so dang good that now that it’s demuxing mkv differently somehow, I’m finding it hard to go back to Roku Ultra. My CPU monitor definitely sits @5% instead of 98% so it’s direct playing at least until it hits the ATV 4K somehow!

(I know I went above and beyond question but so tired of people thinking native 4K is necessary. Even 2160p 10bit HEVC movie is 60GB so my 18TB NAS RAID 5 volume would only hold 275-330 movies! Meanwhile 6TB NAS drives costing $250x4 and cost of NAS itself has it costing $2000 to store 275 native 4K movies even in smaller files 50% smaller than H264! I now save and store 1080p in 50% smaller files and bitrate also then shrinks so things streams like a dream, and can even handle more remote streams out of the house to family and friends. If they want to upscale, their streaming boxes or 4K TV can upscale it and done right is so much more efficient and inexpensive.

Like it or not, I wouldn't be buying anymore apple products. Done being fooled by apple.
[automerge]1595178215[/automerge]
Omggggg flexgate has affected my MacBook 15" 2016 today!!! Out of the blue, if I open the screen fully it gets all messed up but if I open it halfway it's still kind of works

I'm also facing the same issue on my 15'' 2016. haven't repaired it yet. called apple, and they have asked to me to pay $850 to get it replaced.

Rashy

Suspended
Jan 7, 2020
We have this dreadful Flexgate, failing keyboards, popping speakers, T2 issues, USB-C ports wearing out, battery health issues, and everything (even that puny display cable) is either soldered or glued. Add their recent bulls*it with hyping Apple TV+/Arcade/Memoji nonsense, agressive update notifications for Crapalina (silently removing Terminal commands to annoy critical users further), killing of OpenGL and 32Bit Apps, taking less and less care of Pro Apps and users, still only offering 1 year of warranty, charging ridiculous prices for upgrades, a certain display stands and the MacPro wheels, plus finally the switch to ARM = far more cons than pros for end-users; all this (and much more) together corroborate my decission, that the MBP 2015 is my last laptop and the iMac 2017/2019 my last desktop product from Apple. Tired of their crap as well. Such a shame, their eco system has so much potential, but Cook (and to a certain amount also Ive with his stupid obsession for thinness) ruined everything.

Last edited:

bintangsbgj

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2017
Indonesia
My daughter has a 2017 MacBook Pro (touchbar, 13 inch) which is exhibiting similar problems (see image).

View attachment 934416

The machine was taken to an Apple repair centre and they advised that it was not covered by the repair programme as the machine is too new. As such, the repair (replacement screen) would cost £575. Ouch! Is it thought likely Apple will be extending the range of machines covered by this repair programme or is my daughter now the not-so-proud owner of an expensive paperweight (until she can afford to repair or replace)?

Hi, I wonder what year was your MBP manufactured? (You can check that by checking your serial number and lookup on the web). My MBP 2017 was manufactured in Feb 2019 and so far there hasn't been any issues (well hopefully nothing will happen).
[automerge]1595331557[/automerge]
Not sure if this is flexgate on my 2017 Macbook Pro non-touchbar. Lots of lines down the screen, but it seems to get clearer if you move the windows around. And it disappears completely if I close the screen more than 40degrees, or use an external monitor. No hardware issues on the hardware test. Really frustrating because I bought it less than 2 years ago, have treated it well, and desperately need it during these times for work as a freelancer. Plus all the repair places in Australia are almost completely booked for the next month. Seems i'll have to use a monitor. Check the pics if ya have an opinion whether this is flexgate.
What year was your MBP manufactured?

unclefarkus

macrumors member
May 13, 2015
Yeah so I'm still within 4 years as well. But Apple wants $526 to fix this. They even said in the iMessage thread that it's "an internal component located in the hinge".

Is it reasonable to assume that if it's the "Flexgate" issue as it appears to be, they would waive that fee upon actually diagnosing beyond iMessage?

Stanzi

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2020
Hi, I wonder what year was your MBP manufactured? (You can check that by checking your serial number and lookup on the web). My MBP 2017 was manufactured in Feb 2019 and so far there hasn't been any issues (well hopefully nothing will happen).
The laptop is a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) and the Apple Repair Shop was very clear that this means it is not covered by the repair programme. I asked them if they could go ahead and repair the item (which I would have to pay for) and return the faulty items to me for inspection. They said they'd not be able to return the faulty parts as that is not their policy and is stated in their Terms and Conditions! I therefore have no option other than to consider taking the matter up with the seller under the Consumer Rights Laws applicable in England which state that if it can be proved an item is of substandard quality, and/or has worn prematurely through design or manufacturing deficiencies, then they are obligated to either repair, replace or refund. In England, this is applicable for six years from the date of delivery which gives me plenty of time to sort it out as the machine is not three years old yet. I'll keep you posted with any developments.

Maybe if we all take similar steps, Apple will have to admit defeat and increase the scope of their repair programme.

chipistickman

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2020
Just happened to me on a 2017 13", screen freezes after opening more than 45°. I hope the class action lawsuit going on will have apple apply a special warranty on MacBooks other than 2016. Any news on this?

kero0401

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2020
Same issue on my 2018 13" with touch bar, and it just happened yesterday.

My sister has a Macbook air 2012, so far there is not any problem....

luigsf

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2020
My Late 2016 MBP developed screen issues about a month ago. I called apple twice, and after some tests they told me that the computer should go to an authorized service center (the stores were closed because of the pandemic). I went to one and they asked me a 1000 bucks plus taxes for the repair. I decided not to, and I'm just finding out about flexgate. I have to work on an external monitor for now, but I certainly hope they acknowledge de issue and put a repair program in place. Is not fair to have it for 13" models and not the 15" as mine.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
My late 2016 13" MBP (4TB) just got the spotlight issue. I was bummed, but fortunate that my 13" model is covered under the program. It's a real bummer that they haven't extended it to other models (at least 15" 2016, but also 2017 13" and 15")... Covid has made Apple Store appointments hard to come by, but was able to get one for later this week.

I had also recently gotten my butterfly KB replaced under the KB program, so got a new battery too. As others have mentioned, after this, will almost be like having gotten a new laptop. Will help me keep my 2016" until post-ARM transition.

Hoping Apple does the right thing here and extends the program to other models...

hughfidel

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2020
Hello everyone, I just wanted to share my experience with my 2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar. I had the stage light issue along with one sticky key on my keyboard and took it in to the Genius Bar on December 2019. They took my MBP in and changed out the display and affected cable and also changed out the keyboard and battery for free (which was good cause I had scratched the top case with my watch).

When I got back my MBP back TouchID couldn't save any fingerprints. I took it back to the Genius Bar and they said the T1 enclave wasn't working right with my logic board so they took it back in and replaced the logic board (another blessing in disguise cause one of the USB-C ports was going bad). The whole process took 15 days but I'm grateful that I had a positive experience with the Genius Bar doing all the repairs and parts for free.

kohsamui100

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2016
My MBP 2016 15" started showing horizontal lines all over the screen. It happens with both GPUs selected, and not OS related. Is this Flexgate or something else?

Attachments

• 20200807_164409.jpg
    20200807_164409.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 173

moellenium

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2020
I just started having the identical issue as above on my 2018 15" MBP with Touchbar yesterday. Purchased two years ago this month. I assume it's the flex cable, as the issue resolves itself if I close the lid of the MBP half way. I have an appointment tomorrow with an authorized service provider and will report back.

IMG_8979.jpeg

IMG_8980.jpeg

IMG_8981.jpeg

IMG_8982.jpeg

Jerec

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
New York
I just started having the identical issue as above on my 2018 15" MBP with Touchbar yesterday. Purchased two years ago this month. I assume it's the flex cable, as the issue resolves itself if I close the lid of the MBP half way. I have an appointment tomorrow with an authorized service provider and will report back.

View attachment 966505
View attachment 966507
View attachment 966509
View attachment 966510
Hi, any update yet?
This behaviour is really strange...I have some Macs around that failed relatively quickly and some (even really tortured ones) hold since 2016...

moellenium

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2020
Hi, any update yet?
This behaviour is really strange...I have some Macs around that failed relatively quickly and some (even really tortured ones) hold since 2016...

So I went to a local authorized service provider, as the actual apple store didn't have an appointment for almost ten days (I'm in the LA area). They diagnosed the issue as the flex cable and said that it would be an $800 repair, because they would need to replace the whole screen. I decided to check in with the Apple support chat before I authorized the repair. The apple support chat said that the apple store could try "reseating" my flex cable instead of swapping out the whole display and that might resolve the issue and they made me an appointment for this Thursday at my local apple store. I'll report back after that appointment.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

Daniel Lee

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
2016 model owner CHECK THIS OUT!

I have same horizontal lines issue. I went to apple store and sent MBP back under the Stage-light program, I have just received my MBP with new screen for free.

Just talk to a guy in Genius bar, go thought some diagnose and question and ask for sent your MBP to repair center under the program. What you expected is just waiting for your mac ship to your address with new screen. That’s it.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)

Timeline:

Oct. 19 went to Genius Bar

Oct 22 received!

Last edited:

kohsamui100

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2016
My MBP 15" 2016 was purchased less than 4 years ago as "renewed". Both the keyboard repetitive recall and screen keyboard marks recall have been applied having both keyboard and screen replaced, about 2 years ago.

The computer fell on the floor at some point and the screen has gotten a dent at one corner, but it still worked well with no display issues, until it got the flexgate stating to happen a few months ago, displaying horizontal lines and shading constantly.

Will Apple still replace it as a part of the "staingate" recall, regardless of its flexgate and dent issues?

Last edited:

Jerec

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
New York
2016 model owner CHECK THIS OUT!

I have same horizontal lines issue. I went to apple store and sent MBP back under the Stage-light program, I have just received my MBP with new screen for free.

Just talk to a guy in Genius bar, go thought some diagnose and question and ask for sent your MBP to repair center under the program. What you expected is just waiting for your mac ship to your address with new screen. That’s it.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)

Timeline:

Oct. 19 went to Genius Bar

Oct 22 received!

Glad to hear that! Unfortunately, this only applies for 2016 13” models being under this exact issue repair program. Any other Mac users are still forced to pay. Even though this issue starts to happen even on 2018 models now. ?

kohsamui100

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2016
Any news regarding the lawsuit? do you think we can expect the recall to eventually happen for the 15" models?

Jerec

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
New York
Any news regarding the lawsuit? do you think we can expect the recall to eventually happen for the 15" models?
I am affraid we can not :( This seems to be pretty long time since it’s been rumored so much. Looks like Apple is going to win again by acting like nothing happened.

fschuh

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
Well, the screen on my 2106 Touch Bar MBP finally went black yesterday about a week after the stage light effect appeared. And this is after I lost the built in camera a few months ago. Now trying decide if I should get this fixed, "reward" Apple with another purchase or just buy a non Apple laptop. It's tough to leave their eco system when you own multiple devices , but jeez does their hardware fail a lot. This is the 4th Apple hardware failure for me in the last 5 yrs between laptops (3), iPhone(1) and Apple TV(1) and that's not including the current swipe stuggle I'm having with the Series 6 Watch. As Einstein said, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results. I think my Apple purchase history would qualify.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.