Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

• Yes

Votes: 221 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 228 50.8%

• Total voters

HavenRealtyFL

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019
Just here to say my babied 2016 15" MBP has the same issues and Apple wants $795 to replace. And I get to go a week without my computer (A Vacation?) The Apple employee did mention that he had "seen this before" and said that in the event of a later warranty extension Apple would reimburse me for this expense.
This leads me to believe one of two things:
1- He was trying to de-escalate me before I even got escalated
2- He thinks Apple is going to do something.

Attachments

• 59710047823__B412849A-E39A-406C-BFB6-0EB1FB0996C7.JPG
    59710047823__B412849A-E39A-406C-BFB6-0EB1FB0996C7.JPG
    428.6 KB · Views: 1,046
Reactions: Pól Skarðenni

49erRedGold

Suspended
Dec 8, 2019
Just here to say my babied 2016 15" MBP has the same issues and Apple wants $795 to replace. And I get to go a week without my computer (A Vacation?) The Apple employee did mention that he had "seen this before" and said that in the event of a later warranty extension Apple would reimburse me for this expense.

I'm pretty sure it was #1. But your MacBook Pro's screen issue is not a result of the stage light effect that happens from opening the screen back too far. Yours looks to be a GPU issue. That's why Apple is not repairing it for free, but also because your computer doesn't qualify for the free repair.

HavenRealtyFL

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019
I'm pretty sure it was #1. But your MacBook Pro's screen issue is not a result of the stage light effect that happens from opening the screen back too far. Yours looks to be a GPU issue. That's why Apple is not repairing it for free, but also because your computer doesn't qualify for the free repair.
No it’s obviously the ribbon cable. The Apple employee even stated that.
I’m having to use it with an external monitor to work.

49erRedGold

Suspended
Dec 8, 2019
Well all I can say is good luck with that. Your MacBook is approaching 4 years old and the fact that Apple currently has a repair program for the stage light effect for the 13" 2016 and did not open it to the 15" says there may not be one coming up. Apple executive decisions are never shared with front line employees so chances are the employee was not hinting at a possible repair program for your model. Again, best of luck.

pranasgr

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2020
It is not a GPU. I have the same issue with my 15month old MBP 15, 2018. It is FlexGate but with different wires - responsible for signal not for backlights. The key problem is the same - the flex wires got broken after some time due to mistake in design.
[automerge]1580676825[/automerge]
I have the same issue with my 15month old MBP 15, 2018. It is FlexGate but with different wires - responsible for signal not for backlights. The key problem is the same - the flex wires got broken after some time due to mistake in design.

pranasgr

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2020
The problem I'm having is that my screen has become distorted with blue and pink lines going through it. I've seen some similar posts in this thread but I'm not sure if this is the same issue as the Flexgate problem which seems to center around the backlighting. I don't have issues with backlighting just the distorted screen with blue and pink lines as shown in the photo. If I plug my laptop into an external display, there is no distortion and the screen performs as normal.

Is the problem I'm having a form of Flexgate cable issues?

I took my laptop to the Apple Store today and they said the problem would be $680 to fix since it was out of warranty. I asked if the problem I was having was related to the "FlexGate" issues which I heard were covered under an extended warranty and the Apple Genius brought up an Apple web site and had me slowly scroll trough the extended warranty issue that were active to show me that the 15" MacBook Pro was not covered. I found the FlexGate 13" problem there and asked if the problem I was having was the same issue but was told that only the 13" was covered.

I went ahead with the repair since I need the laptop but am definitely not a happy customer.

View attachment 853614
I have the same issue with my 15month old MBP 15, 2018. It is FlexGate but with different wires - responsible for signal not for backlights. The key problem is the same - the flex wires got broken after some time due to mistake in design.

buckthorn

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2009

I have the same issue on a MBP that had its display unit replaced under warranty one year ago. Now the new one has failed, and of course it's out of warranty (they give you only 90 days on a new display), so we're SOL. It's definitely the screen and/or cable. An external display works just fine. I have another MBP from early 2017 that also just had its display unit replaced just last month (under warranty). What a debacle.

• Wow
Reactions: Mendota

Jerec

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
New York
I have the same issue on a MBP that had its display unit replaced under warranty one year ago. Now the new one has failed, and of course it's out of warranty (they give you only 90 days on a new display), so we're SOL. It's definitely the screen and/or cable. An external display works just fine. I have another MBP from early 2017 that also just had its display unit replaced just last month (under warranty). What a debacle.

So it’s also a 15" version? Omg this is so frustrating...it’s like a ticking bomb in front of me and about to hit me with $600 repair. And I thought they’re supposed to put new parts with longer flexes while servicing displays...

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I need reliability for peace of mind and could not work with the bad models for the worry. Happy with my 2014 and 2015 models and looking forward to 2019 or 2020. I'd love a MacBook Game or a MacBook AMD.

Reactions: Rashy

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
My 2016 13 inch started having flexgate issues the other day, just a few weeks after having the machine sent back from getting the keyboard and battery replaced. I have an Apple Store appointment set for Tuesday so once this gets fixed, I think I will put the machine up for sale and look into a deal on a 2019 model.

Reactions: ScreenSavers

elibel

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2020
My MacBook Pro 13" Touch Bar 2018 (purchased August 2018, so only 1.5 years old) has these same issues. Have kept it in excellent condition and it's been sitting at my desk for months, haven't even been carrying it around.

I was sitting at my desk working on it as usual yesterday when the aqua & pink flickering began all of a sudden. Just tested it and the display is totally fine at a 45 degree angle.

Spent all night yesterday and alllllll day today talking to Apple on the phone and going to my Genius Bar appointment. Every single person flat out told me I need a new screen for 475 and there's nothing more any one can [wants to] do for me.

I've been a very loyal Apple buyer but truly the way they handled this.. they lost my future business.

Attachments

• IMG_7823.JPG
    IMG_7823.JPG
    617.7 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_7835.jpg
    IMG_7835.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: Mendota

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
My MacBook Pro 13" Touch Bar 2018 (purchased August 2018, so only 1.5 years old) has these same issues. Have kept it in excellent condition and it's been sitting at my desk for months, haven't even been carrying it around.

I was sitting at my desk working on it as usual yesterday when the aqua & pink flickering began all of a sudden. Just tested it and the display is totally fine at a 45 degree angle.

Spent all night yesterday and alllllll day today talking to Apple on the phone and going to my Genius Bar appointment. Every single person flat out told me I need a new screen for 475 and there's nothing more any one can [wants to] do for me.

I've been a very loyal Apple buyer but truly the way they handled this.. they lost my future business.
In the apple repair system I believe that is the only way they can handle it, the cable is an integral part of the display module, not designed to be repaired as a seperate part.

Which considering it's a part more likely to fail than the display, is quite possibly poor design.. in aim of thinness.

elibel

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2020
In the apple repair system I believe that is the only way they can handle it, the cable is an integral part of the display module, not designed to be repaired as a seperate part.

Which considering it's a part more likely to fail than the display, is quite possibly poor design.. in aim of thinness.

I believe that it's 100% poor design. I wouldn't have purchased a laptop if I knew I wouldn't be able to open and close it through normal, careful use without the screen giving out 1 year and a half in. Could've gotten an iPad and keyboard in that case.

Andrew Edwards

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2020
My 2016 macbook pro with Touch Bar that i owned since it was release, started a its "flexgate" issue a week ago. Flexgate appears to be an issue caused by very fragile lcd flex cables. The LCD itself is fine, i never dented it or forced on the screen while opening it or anything...

Problem is, apple currently isn't acknowledging this issue which seems to spread a little more everyday. Apple is currently charging 600$ for a fix right now, which is insane for a design issue. I hope this gets more attention somehow....

The white stage light effect at the bottom of the screen below caused by flexgate isn't due to the photo, it's like that (maybe worse) irl

View attachment 810211 View attachment 810213

Here is a website someone made about flexgate if you want to learn more... https://flexgate.me

My 2017 MBP with touchbar just experienced “flexgate” I took it to my Apple store here in Memphis and they told me that it was clearly the flexgate problem due to the stage lighting and the screen shutting off at a certain angle. Then they told me that because my MBP was 2017 it NOT was eligible for the recall for free and I had to pay $600.
Long story short - I called Apple - make sure you speak to a SENIOR SUPPORT person on the phone I got ALOT of push back from the first person that I got but once I got the senior support person on the phone he fixed it up for me. I spoke to Gale. He was very friendly and he got my 2017 MBP fixed for FREE by Apple. This happened last Saturday and I already have my fixed MBP back from the repair center.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
haven't followed this thread closely since I had flexgate and a replacement of the top lid of my 2016 non touchbar, but the fact that the 2019 16" supposedly has a sensor on the hinge keeping track of the angles the user is flexing their laptop to, indicates to me that this issue still isn't resolved and Apple is using their customers to find out the solution. Reminds me of the keyboard dilemma lol.

Should 100% be covered though, instead of 'this is the first I've seen of this' when theres a 22 page thread on MR, and probably large ones elsewhere as well..

buckthorn

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2009
Following up on a previous post/reply. We took our MBP (2016, 13-inch) to the Apple Store the other night. We opened it, and the "Genius" helping us immediately said it's covered by the Apple Display Backlight Program. So even though Apple Care expired in December, it's being repaired at no charge. We should have it back later this week. It seems like the 2017s ought to be covered, too. My 2017 just had a screen replacement last week -- it was still covered by Apple Care. <editorial>Anyone who buys a MacBook of any type would do well to buy the 3-year AppleCare. It's well worth it. These things can fail or break very easily, and the repairs can be very expensive.</editorial>
[automerge]1583868338[/automerge]
So it’s also a 15" version? Omg this is so frustrating...it’s like a ticking bomb in front of me and about to hit me with $600 repair. And I thought they’re supposed to put new parts with longer flexes while servicing displays...
No, 13".

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
Dropped my 2016 13in Pro off at the Apple Store yesterday expecting it to be sent out for repair as I was told it would be that way and take 3-5 days. Had no issues waiting that long at all so I was surprised when I saw last night that the repair status page showed the machine was ready for pick up. Just came home with it and the entire display assembly was replaced with a new one. It fixed the issue and with the top case already been recently replaced, I pretty much have a brand new machine now.

I do have a 2019 13in base model coming today that I'm gonna try out and see if I notice enough of a difference in performance and battery life and decide which to keep. Id be going from 16/512 to 8/256 and losing 2 TB3 ports but I also don't do much on the machine anymore to really warrant the need for the extra specs. Sucks that I did initially spend 2100 on the 2016 model when it dropped but that's the downside of jumping on a redesign right away before the kinks get ironed out.

Reactions: ScreenSavers

chrisbuck

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
Addis Ababa
MBP 15inch clear Flexgate issue. screens blacks out at 45 deg point.

Tragic this laptop was a gift to an NGO in Ethiopia so very difficult to get repaired. Shipping etc will drive the cost even higher.

Apple does not acknowledge the issue still !!! Zero Support in Ethiopia

I think its a 16inch replacement.

Apple needs to step up on the 15inch MBP backlight problem!!

Jerec

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
New York
MBP 15inch clear Flexgate issue. screens blacks out at 45 deg point.

Tragic this laptop was a gift to an NGO in Ethiopia so very difficult to get repaired. Shipping etc will drive the cost even higher.

Apple does not acknowledge the issue still !!! Zero Support in Ethiopia

I think its a 16inch replacement.

Apple needs to step up on the 15inch MBP backlight problem!!

Terrible to hear that :/ This is crazy having this obvious design flaw and kinda deny it by acting as nothing happens. With this attitude all 13" from other year than said on website and ALL 15" since 2016 are about to die sooner or later.
Crazy thing is, the laptop overall does not have that high price anymore, so the repair itself is going to cost the same as if you sold it before.... makes me thinking.

HONUline

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
London, England
I have experience pink screen problem today, tomorrow I am taking it in. I have MBP 13 touch, bought exactly 14 months ago, I truly hopes that this will be somehow free, as I can't imagine that 2200eur MPR will be unusable after 14 months of usage...just sad...

I will keep you posted...

IMG_6526.JPG

Jerec

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
New York
Hmm I guess its a 2018 model? (should have this problem solved by longer flex). That would mean, that even longer flexes fail after a while :/ Did you use it very often? Just curious.

I’ve had my 2017 15" since January when bought it new, and 3 months back I got display replaced because of WiFi antenna (that's what they said). It should have longer flex but if this is what to expect next year... come on!

Please keep us informed. Thanks!

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
I don’t know why they don’t just re-design it already and make it like the old ones. They fixed the keyboard, but even with the 16 inch and the new MacBook Air they are still using these horrible flex cables.

HONUline

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
London, England
im from Slovenia,EU, and we dont have direct contact with Apple representatives or services, this is why we are forced to work with authorized retailers.

In our area/country all non essential stores are closed due to the corona outbreak, so the best what i can get at the moment is complete display replacement that I paid 580eur.

By their words, pink screen is not caused by #flexgate and therefore im not entitled to any discount or free repairs

my question is next: to whom may I bring my concern to the matter as by my online research it is clearly that pink screen come with the failure of flex cable that connect motherboard to display

Jerec

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
New York
I don’t know why they don’t just re-design it already and make it like the old ones. They fixed the keyboard, but even with the 16 inch and the new MacBook Air they are still using these horrible flex cables.

I don’t understand either but on the other hand... are there any reports about the flexgate issues with Macbook Airs? Maybe the cable is not a huge problem itself, but it’s position is.

im from Slovenia,EU, and we dont have direct contact with Apple representatives or services, this is why we are forced to work with authorized retailers.

In our area/country all non essential stores are closed due to the corona outbreak, so the best what i can get at the moment is complete display replacement that I paid 580eur.

By their words, pink screen is not caused by #flexgate and therefore im not entitled to any discount or free repairs

my question is next: to whom may I bring my concern to the matter as by my online research it is clearly that pink screen come with the failure of flex cable that connect motherboard to display

Yep this is a complicated situation both not having directly Apple in country and this virus thing. I lived in NY for a while and trust me, it’s the same to talk to them directly. They just deny the problem and only really sometimes try to help you by for example getting your screen repaired under antiglare program etc. So I absolutely have no idea to whom you can bring your concern :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.