Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was your MBP 2016+ affected by flexgate yet?

• Yes

Votes: 221 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 228 50.8%

• Total voters

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
I don’t understand either but on the other hand... are there any reports about the flexgate issues with Macbook Airs? Maybe the cable is not a huge problem itself, but it’s position is.

Yep this is a complicated situation both not having directly Apple in country and this virus thing. I lived in NY for a while and trust me, it’s the same to talk to them directly. They just deny the problem and only really sometimes try to help you by for example getting your screen repaired under antiglare program etc. So I absolutely have no idea to whom you can bring your concern :/

Well... I personally haven’t heard any reports on the MacBook Air but it should be any day now since it launched in 2018. Plenty of reports on the 12 inch MacBook though.

Reactions: Mendota

me55

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2019
Could be worse, my previous computer (Dell XPS 13 9343) has the cables for the screen as a tight bundle going through a small hole in the hinge. The cables get twisted a lot every time you open it, which is a much worse design IMHO that also breaks.

Dell just tells you oh too bad, wear and tear is not covered and if you want to buy the screen assembly, no parts available anymore (for a not even 2 year old computer back then, seriously?) and to go buy a whole new computer. Should have listened to other people I know that had Dell's, Dell is known for the fact that the customer service of them in Germany is atrocious.

Reviewers back then were raving about it, that it is the best thin Windows notebook. The MacBook is a much higher quality computer in my opinion, not 100% perfect but a lot better overall. At least Apple has some support that tries if you need it.

Last edited:
Reactions: G5isAlive

jefniro

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2018
Hello everybody,
I'm a new fortunate with this issue! Check it, black horizontal lines witch become more black with time during the day.. I already asked support to Apple. This is a MacBook Pro Late 2016 (October 2016) with Touch Bar.

Attachments

• MacBookProRetina.jpg
    MacBookProRetina.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 260
Reactions: Silkiokas69

RiccardoF

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2016
Another 15" MBP with touch-bar here... (delivered Jan 2017)... all of a sudden display went black (no backlight). I had previously noticed that display at times was going full bright without touching controls... now anything past an angle of 30 degrees is a black screen...

fixflexgate

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2020
Just here to say my babied 2016 15" MBP has the same issues and Apple wants $795 to replace. And I get to go a week without my computer (A Vacation?) The Apple employee did mention that he had "seen this before" and said that in the event of a later warranty extension Apple would reimburse me for this expense.
This leads me to believe one of two things:
1- He was trying to de-escalate me before I even got escalated
2- He thinks Apple is going to do something.
If you are a 2016 or 2017 MacBookPro owner and you have been afflicted by flexgate, follow my twitter page @fixflexgate. I am trying to get a following so that Apple will grant an extended warranty for their faulty design!

Attachments

• Pink MacBook.PNG
    Pink MacBook.PNG
    957.9 KB · Views: 131

bintangsbgj

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2017
Indonesia
Hi has anyone opened a 2017 13 inch MBP non-touch bar manufactured in early 2019 to check its cable length? I have one for about a year now (mine was manufactured in Feb 2019 from the serial number) so far everything seems normal but I am worried if someday this issue is going to happen to me

Last edited:

theshiver

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2017
Edit: Fixed by local authorized apple service. They changed the screen (top shell) free of charge.

----

Same issue on my 13" macbook pro 2016 ntb. It starts with facetime camera fail, after 2 days later i saw stage lighting effect on my screen.

IMG_1308.png

Last edited:

bintangsbgj

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2017
Indonesia
Hi everyone!

Today I managed to open my 2017 13 inch MBP non-touch bar, manufactured in Feb 2019, just out of my curiousity, here's a look on the inside:

Photo 27-04-20 22.29.14.jpg

Photo 27-04-20 22.29.24.jpg

At a glance, it seems to me that the cable is already longer than the previous versions has.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
Hi everyone!

Today I managed to open my 2017 13 inch MBP non-touch bar, manufactured in Feb 2019, just out of my curiousity, here's a look on the inside:

View attachment 909818

And here's a closer look on the display flex cables:

View attachment 909821
View attachment 909822

At a glance, it seems to me that the cable is already longer than the previous versions has.

Hope that helps!

If you wouldn’t mind, open the display all the way and then take the same picture. You can easily tell if it’s stretched or not.

Si Monmon

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2020
Not sure if this is flexgate on my 2017 Macbook Pro non-touchbar. Lots of lines down the screen, but it seems to get clearer if you move the windows around. And it disappears completely if I close the screen more than 40degrees, or use an external monitor. No hardware issues on the hardware test. Really frustrating because I bought it less than 2 years ago, have treated it well, and desperately need it during these times for work as a freelancer. Plus all the repair places in Australia are almost completely booked for the next month. Seems i'll have to use a monitor. Check the pics if ya have an opinion whether this is flexgate.

Attachments

• IMG-7094.jpg
    IMG-7094.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG-7095.jpg
    IMG-7095.jpg
    552.7 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG-7096.jpg
    IMG-7096.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 130

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
Not sure if this is flexgate on my 2017 Macbook Pro non-touchbar. Lots of lines down the screen, but it seems to get clearer if you move the windows around. And it disappears completely if I close the screen more than 40degrees, or use an external monitor. No hardware issues on the hardware test. Really frustrating because I bought it less than 2 years ago, have treated it well, and desperately need it during these times for work as a freelancer. Plus all the repair places in Australia are almost completely booked for the next month. Seems i'll have to use a monitor. Check the pics if ya have an opinion whether this is flexgate.

If it goes away when you close the screen, that’s probably the issue.

Silkiokas69

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2020
New York, USA
My MacBookPro now it's ok. Fixed by Apple for free in 2 days! Excellent support!
I literally have the same issue and the local authorized Apple reseller refused to replace the display free of charge, I have a MacBook Pro 13 inch 2016, and told me to call apple support in like Ireland and ask them for help.

gaapimenta

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2020
After a single direct conversation (I mentioned that it was a recall I was entitled to), the friendly online support assistant advised to take my macbook on an authorized apple after a small test done by me with a flashlight and the computer screen (no understand the reason).

About 1 week ago I had sent the Macbook Pro 13 2016 Touch for authorized assistance to a nearby city. I also took advantage and mentioned a few double clicks on the butterfly keyboard (knowing of an existing recall as well) to try a free replacement.

On May 28, I received confirmation that Apple would replace the screen and topcase (keyboard + battery) free of charge. I am waiting for the conclusion and the macbook arrived here for more information.

Note: Product was purchased used and without invoice, only with my cloud ID.

Did anyone have any problems After the recall performed on both the flexgate and the butterfly keyboard?

celokba

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2020
Hi guys, my screen suddenly goes wrong while I’m using it for zoom. Do you think it’s the flex gate problem? I’m so upset with this laptop! Changed the top keyboard set twice under the service program and now the display failed

Attachments

• 4EC00CD1-F291-428F-A52A-C352E1BF44DF.jpeg
    4EC00CD1-F291-428F-A52A-C352E1BF44DF.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 133

misfong

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2020
Has anybody had their Macbook Pro 15" late 2016/ 2017 flexgate problem fixed for free by APPLE?!?!?!

ZZeta

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2020
I own a Mid-2014 15" Macbook Pro, just got the screen replaced for free under staingate on September 2019, and 2 weeks ago I got this Flexgate problem. It's just one problem after another, everyone trying to get the screen replaced free or paid should be really careful from now on.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 18.01.57.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 18.01.57.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 158

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
I own a Mid-2014 15" Macbook Pro, just got the screen replaced for free under staingate on September 2019, and 2 weeks ago I got this Flexgate problem. It's just one problem after another, everyone trying to get the screen replaced free or paid should be really careful from now on.

That’s not flexgate. It’s either a screen cable problem or an LCD problem, but those don’t use a flex cable.

beontime

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2020
My 2016 15inch Macbook Pro has the spotlight effects on the bottom of the screen and the entire screen starts to jitter after an hour and now goes black occasionaly. The Apple service center just quoted me 800 dollars to fix it which includes a screen replacement. Is there any way to just replace the flex cable and not the screen for less money?

Apple told me that the 15 inch 2016 models are not included in their repair program. Is this worth the 800 dollars to fix?

jackiez

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
My 2016 15inch Macbook Pro has the spotlight effects on the bottom of the screen and the entire screen starts to jitter after an hour and now goes black occasionaly. The Apple service center just quoted me 800 dollars to fix it which includes a screen replacement. Is there any way to just replace the flex cable and not the screen for less money?

Apple told me that the 15 inch 2016 models are not included in their repair program. Is this worth the 800 dollars to fix?

definitely not worth at all, theres a cheap solution out there for spotlight issue which is to replace only the ribbon of the screen. just dont ever replace a screen with 800 dollar, might as well sell it cheap and get a new one.

i had the spotlight issue on my macbook pro 13 2016 and fortunately its eligible for the free repair program, however after get replaced for not more than a year and theres another screen problem again.

Fitri

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2020
Hi. I have 2016 Mbp 13" with Touchbar. it's started a "flexgate" issue in April 2019.
IMG_20190420_165625.jpg

can you see that green pink line it flickering. And its getting worst every day.
I keep used my Mbp. And now my Mbp can't turn on! it's died! (but it's still charging)
IMG_20191116_195941.jpg

can i get a "Display backlight Service Program" with my died Mbp?

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
These reliability issues are very disappointing. I thought reliability was supposed to increase over time, not decrease.

OsnoLaSuga

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2020
Hi everyone, I own a MacBook Pro 2016 15-inch with touchbar, and this issue showed a couple of months ago. I recently chatted with an Apple representative as a first step to see how this could be solved. I had made my research, and found out about the Flexgate issue, and that Apple released the repair plan ONLY for the 13-inches macbooks from 2016. The Apple supervisor stated that the plan covered Backlight or black&screen issues, and wouldn't cover this particular problem. And he also said that this had tone caused by some other piece of hardware, but he couldn't (or didn't want to) specify which one.

Now my MacBook is in an Authorized Repair center, and of course they want me to pay for a new screen (720$), although I asked if they could say for sure if the problem was caused by the edp cable(flexgate) or the display itself. They can't tell me for sure, only that they could change the Flexgate (for 160$), but that they can't be sure if this will solve the problem. Wasn't the Flexgate impossible, or very difficult to replace since it's strongly attached to the display? If they can't say if the problem is caused by the Flexgate or the Display, how can I know that I'm paying for something fair or not?

Sorry if this question has already been answered before, but I would like to hear your input. Thanks a lot!

519A32CE-8F52-48A3-91E5-6ED379A72E21.jpeg
153E475D-E47E-42B9-8543-422062730CCF.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.