Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirRahikkala

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2016
Anyone else notice change in trackpad behaviour since El Capitan? I have 16A320 and for some reason 2015 retina macbook is registering "right clicks" when touching the right side of the touch pad. This was not present in El Capitan. (disclaimer: I have the right click activated but it has not been like this)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Booting into safe mode is fine and it will happily shut down / restart from there.

If it works fine in safe mode, that is pretty much proof it is some launch or startup item you have running, since safe mode stops all those.

There are several places other than login items where these items reside.Try all these folders.

Code:
~/Library/LaunchAgents (~ is your users folder)
/Library/LaunchAgents
/Library/LaunchDaemons
/Library/StartupItems
/System/Library/Extensions/

Batt4Christ

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
Arkansas
Getting CONSTANT crashing of com.apple.PhotoIngest process... driving me insane - it begins crashing soon after boot, then crashes when apps launch, crashes whens ending email, crashes when I switch between apps... UGH!!!!
[doublepost=1473782837][/doublepost]
Okay, maybe I'm missing something, but I'm really confused.

Just installed Sierra beta on my spare Macbook to play around with it a bit. The Photos app doesn't have any of the built in albums! Recently Deleted, Screenshots, Selfies, etc... they're all missing! I looked through the menus and configuration and can't find any way to enable them.

Did they move this functionality? I can't find any other threads or posts on this so I'm wondering if it's just me. o_O
Photos app appears pretty "normal" for me, including my albums. No significant changes in how iPhoto looks or works...

I believe there is a core service that is jacked up, though... com.apple.PhotoIngest is constantly crashing..

Attachments

• PhotoIngestCrash.png
    PhotoIngestCrash.png
    212.4 KB · Views: 222

no_more

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Could anyone check Dictionary.app with custom dictionaries? I try to Edit label for custom dictionaries but the app doesn't save custom labels. When I close and then open Dictionary.app all edited labels are reverted to original ones.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
SUCCESS!

4K@60Hz running on 17" Early 2011 MBP via Gigabyte RX 460 eGPU

All you need to do is define a custom resolution in SwitchResX.

I had bought this years ago to run a Mitsubishi 21" 1600x1200 CRT with my Cube.

It is much easier now with digital. All I had to do was set 60Hz and accept the recalculated values.
[doublepost=1473621893][/doublepost]
Youtube and Netflix seem to be doing the decoding on the CPU.

This should not be good going through Thunderbolt 1.

Youtube 4K@60Hz seems to be stuttering in full screen sending decoded video through TB1, as expected.

The Netflix CPU load is a lot less than Youtube's. It looks like it is streaming low resolution.

Netflix content available in 4K looks a lot better directly streamed by the TV.
I have it working via DisplayPort with a Club3D HDMI 2.0 converter.

Through the card's HDMI it doesn't work, even if the TV advertises a 4K@60Hz mode in EDID that is exactly what SwitchResX proposes. Applying the CoreDisplay patch does not help.

mikepolinske

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
Running macOS Sierra

This morning when I tried to unlock my MacBook Pro Retina (2015) 15" the auto unlock feature didn't work and neither did MacID find my iPhone.

I manually entered my password and noticed that Bluetooth was unavailable, yet System Preferences - Bluetooth showed that Bluetooth was on. The button to turn Bluetooth off was not responsive.

So I restarted my computer through the Apple menu and when the Login screen came up to select the user only a portion of the screen was accessible in that I could only move the pointer in a smaller area than the whole screen. And even though I could mouse over the users they didn't respond when I clicked on them.

I powered down and rebooted in Recovery Mode. Was able to run Disk Utility and that was clean.

I powered down again and tried a normal reboot but had the same problem on the Login screen.

Powered down again and restarted in Recovery Mode. This time I selected Reinstall macOS and it appeared to complete successfully. When I rebooted I was able to select my User, but when I was leaving for work I still had a spinning wheel under my login name.

Hopefully when I get home it will have gotten logged in.

Has anyone else with a Retina MacBook Pro seen this issue?

Any suggestions in how to fix this?

UPDATE: When I got home tonight everything was fine, so apparently reinstalling did the trick. Hopefully it won't pop up again.

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I knew 4k30 text was not great, but I did not realise how terrible it is until I started using 4k60.

Zedeff

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
I was trying to send a mail. Suddenly it says all smtp servers are offline. When I edited server list the list of servers was showing in drop down. However in edit mode it was blank. No smtp servers at all. I attempted to add the servers again. After multiple tries have got 2 to save. All the rest disappear every time I press OK on edit window. One of the 2 I saved I had a mistake in username. When I tried to correct it the settings don’t save and revert back again and again.

MasonW

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
Anyone else having issues with alerts from messages? I'm on the GM and my messages aren't previewing anymore. I only see the phone numbers of the individuals messaging me, with "New Message" underneath it. My notifications preferences are set to preview messages whenever they come in so I'm not sure where to go from here...

TJCooperGB

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2016
A large amount of my HDD seems to be categorised as "Purgeable" - what exactly is this?

The issue i'm having is that this entire block of data is being held hostage - when creating new partitions or attempting to setup bootcamp, i'm restricted to using only the data-block in pure white ("Free") - despite Purgeable being totally empty.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 08.28.39.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 08.28.39.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 258
Reactions: grahamperrin

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
For some reason my iCloud Photo Library and Photo Sharing have been turned off and they won't re-enable. I tick the box and it says 'Checking Library...' then that goes away and it remains disabled. What do?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
For some reason my iCloud Photo Library and Photo Sharing have been turned off and they won't re-enable. I tick the box and it says 'Checking Library...' then that goes away and it remains disabled. What do?
Is it actually disabled, or is it just the UI? Which build are you on? (as there were 4 GM builds).
Try adding & deleting photos in the cloud from your various devices and see if it's kept in sync on your Mac. I suspect it's likely the UI issue we saw previously and it's enabled on your Mac. (if it's the same issue, you actually can't disable it either).

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Is it actually disabled, or is it just the UI? Which build are you on? (as there were 4 GM builds).
Try adding & deleting photos in the cloud from your various devices and see if it's kept in sync on your Mac. I suspect it's likely the UI issue we saw previously and it's enabled on your Mac. (if it's the same issue, you actually can't disable it either).

It's not enabled in System Preferences. It won't let me enable it. Weird.

Reactions: grahamperrin

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
It's not enabled in System Preferences. It won't let me enable it. Weird.
Just closing the loop (in case you were expecting a response) - that was the behaviour with the bug that was reported with the beta builds. (iCloud library is on, despite UI showing unchecked) As I suggested, you should verify if it is in fact on or not. If it's off and can't be enabled, that's a new issue.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Just closing the loop (in case you were expecting a response) - that was the behaviour with the bug that was reported with the beta builds. (iCloud library is on, despite UI showing unchecked) As I suggested, you should verify if it is in fact on or not. If it's off and can't be enabled, that's a new issue.

Sorry if I wasn't being clear enough. System Preferences>iCloud>Photos is showing all iCloud Photo Library features to be disabled. It will not allow me to enable them. The Photos app is not updating and he's been for almost a week. I was thinking I'd leave it until Sierra drops as I always do a fresh install when the new OS comes out, thinking a fresh install would fix it anyway.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Sorry if I wasn't being clear enough. System Preferences>iCloud>Photos is showing all iCloud Photo Library features to be disabled. It will not allow me to enable them. The Photos app is not updating and he's been for almost a week. I was thinking I'd leave it until Sierra drops as I always do a fresh install when the new OS comes out, thinking a fresh install would fix it anyway.
This was a problem with one of the earlier betas, now fixed. Are you on one of the GM candidates? What is the build number of Sierra that you're running?

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
This was a problem with one of the earlier betas, now fixed. Are you on one of the GM candidates? What is the build number of Sierra that you're running?

I'm on the latest Public Beta. The App Store is showing no updates available with the last update applied being Version 7 on August 29th. That doesn't sound right. Beta profile is still installed and enabled.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I'm on the latest Public Beta.
What build number? As someone who does tech support for a living, I see a lot of people say "latest" but aren't actually using the latest. Build 16A323 is current as of Sept. 19.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
What build number? As someone who does tech support for a living, I see a lot of people say "latest" but aren't actually using the latest. Build 16A323 is current as of Sept. 19.

Running 16A313a. No updates available.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
That is several builds old, and yes, you have the bug that's since been fixed. At this point, I'd just wait until tomorrow and download the release version.

Yeah that was my plan anyway. Seems odd it would suddenly stop showing updates.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
@JarScott in a few hours there'll be release, we should expect the full installer to be promoted at the front page of App Store.

In the meantime: if you're enrolled for the public beta, you might still find (in the private area for public beta testers) direction on how to download a pre-release full installer. Whether it will be worth it for a few hours: you can decide.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yeah that was my plan anyway. Seems odd it would suddenly stop showing updates.
The GM candidates, which is what's being offered now, are separate installer downloads, so you'd need to have gone to the public beta page to get a new redemption code for the GM candidate installer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.