Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Does Mojave prevent computer tracking? As in, somehow every website seems to know all the other sites I've cruised, including banks.

If you use Safari, go to preference -> security and check “ask websites not to track me” and “prevent cross-site tracking”. There’s also a privacy setting for the OS in the Security preference pane.

Reactions: KPandian1

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
If you use Safari, go to preference -> security and check “ask websites not to track me” and “prevent cross-site tracking”. There’s also a privacy setting for the OS in the Security preference pane.
Thank you.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
took me a while to adapt to it (since first public beta), but now i live on it, and would not go back to light mode. perfect? no, but pretty great...
Is there a way to set up a quick toggle of dark to light. A keyboard shortcut or menu item specifically for that. I may want to use it most of the time but switch for certain apps. If I can do that w/o opening system prefs, that would be great.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Is there a way to set up a quick toggle of dark to light. A keyboard shortcut or menu item specifically for that. I may want to use it most of the time but switch for certain apps. If I can do that w/o opening system prefs, that would be great.
Free menubar app called Owl I think On/off.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Any solution to clean trash files of mac os, in usb flash drives?
Everything that worked in previous os versions, does not seem to work in mojave.
So, please make suggestions for especially for mojave.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I always find it odd that you must now add VMWare Fusion to Accessibility for 'full computer access' despite its just mouse/keyboard access only..

I hate giving any app full control.. particularly when they clearly don't need it.... They never needed it in High Sierra, but in Mojave, they now do, and Apple calls it "security"

Sorry, but how is giving unfettered access to a third party app secure in any way, shape or form?

I don't mind control myself, but that should be as far as it goes.

Everything that worked in previous os versions, does not seem to work in mojave.
So, please make suggestions for especially for mojave.

Could be similar to usb not ejecting for me.... I trashed Finder.plist in home folder/Library/Preferences.

That cleared it up.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I am not deep into very technical things, but it seems that many apps have 'code signatures' problems in mojave, and finally do not run. Anyone that have observed the same thing, and going further by watching terminal or having a solution?
Until now, trying to find a solution for trashy files on my usb flash disks, I have found out, that applications like 'blueharverst' or 'usbclean', in their latest versions that it is officially declared to support mojave, do not run on my mac with mojave.
Any help please?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
When coming out of screensaver, the lock screen now overlays instead of the "desktop" background..

Apple does the little changes.. I notice the little changes :) It all works ..

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Free menubar app called Owl I think On/off.
I like nightowl but I find that I almost preferred High Sierra’s menu bar / menus / etc. system wide implementation of dark mode and wish that was still an option. When in light mode, I’m not used to menus and other system elements now being light again.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
New software Update:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 10.02.59 am.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 10.02.59 am.png
    125.4 KB · Views: 433
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 10.03.19 am.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 10.03.19 am.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 439

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
In Terminal
Code:
sudo rm -rf /Volumes/YourUSBVolumeName/.Trashes/*

Or, for more universal convenience, make a small shell script, make it executable, and call it something like "clean-usb".
Code:
#!/bin/sh
sudo rm -rf /Volumes/$1/.Trashes/*

The syntax would then be "clean-usb VolumeName". The volume name you pass to the script would replace the $1.

Reactions: cool11

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Has anyone right-clicked on their Launchpad icon in the dock? You get this now.

screenshot-2018-09-20-at-22-29-48-png.784873

Pretty useful. Our very own Start Menu. :)

iu.png

By the way, the following piece of Applescript will open that menu automatically, in case you want to attach it to a shortcut or something, either using Quicksilver or Automator (I have it set to ⌥A for example).

Code:
tell application "System Events" to tell process "Dock" to tell UI element "Launchpad" of list 1 to perform action "AXShowMenu"

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Pretty useful. Our very own Start Menu. :)

View attachment 793477

By the way, the following piece of Applescript will open that menu automatically, in case you want to attach it to a shortcut or something, either using Quicksilver or Automator (I have it set to ⌥A for example).

Code:
tell application "System Events" to tell process "Dock" to tell UI element "Launchpad" of list 1 to perform action "AXShowMenu"
Pretty sad how cluttered today's Start Menu is.

Now, this wallpaper, I have to ask this, does anyone find themselves resting their mouse pointer somewhere on or near the Dock, and after moving the pointer without having having actual focus on it saying "WOW, my mouse pointer just left the trail across the screen, and then after a second later, you come to a realization that this is just wallpaper thing?

LOL, happened to me few times already. View attachment 793588

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 12.06.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 12.06.05 AM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Reactions: k4assasinbro

jozero

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
You used to be able to right click an image and "Add image to Photos", which would silently add the image to the Photos app. Now it launches Photos every single time, which is super annoying. Anyway to turn this off?

Also for embedded YouTube videos on a webpage you used to be able to right click twice on it, and it would show a Picture in Picture pop out option, this is now gone. Anyway to get it back?

Oz.

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
Has anyone made a clean install using APFS encrypted?

How is the boot?

Still slow?

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
You used to be able to right click an image and "Add image to Photos", which would silently add the image to the Photos app. Now it launches Photos every single time, which is super annoying. Anyway to turn this off?

Also for embedded YouTube videos on a webpage you used to be able to right click twice on it, and it would show a Picture in Picture pop out option, this is now gone. Anyway to get it back?

When I right click the image and select "Share" > Add image to Photos", the Photos icon on the dock bounces a couple of times but the app doesn't launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.