Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mudflap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
Chicago
InDesign is completely unusable now on the official Sierra release and the 10.12.1 beta. Crashes on launch every time. I've filed reports with Adobe and Apple.

I've tried everything. I've wiped my entire iMac and reinstalled Sierra from scratch then installed ONLY the CC desktop app and InDesign—nothing else whatsoever except what came with the OS, and I crash every time.

So frustrating.

So I'm sticking with El Capitan until Adobe releases a fix.

Learned from Adobe that it was actually a bug present in the newest version of Adobe InDesign CC while running Sierra and SoftRAID. So as long as you don't use SoftRAID, you'll be fine.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
I am on PB4.

Verifying that Chrome/Firefox work fine.

Libreoffice 5.2.0.4 works fine.

Thunderbird seems to have some issues like moving floating windows.

VLC 2.2.4 is working fine. No issues with control placements.

PS CC and LR CC are working fine.

McGimp 2.9.5 (my GIMP builds) are working fine. Since my builds include the plugins for the Nik Collection, they are working fine too.

Capture NX2 and View NX2 are working fine. Note that they were installed during Yosemite days and they are still going strong.

Finally, just checked to verify Macphun HDR Pro. Not working. Crashes after trying to load images.
What GIMP builds are these that you are running?

Henryv

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2016
MacOS SIERRA 10.12 does NOT work with LOGITECH Alert Commander security
cameras.
This is a serious problem for home security!
Does anyone know what is going on??

Henryv

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2016
Logitech Alert Commander Security cameras do not work on Sierra 10.12!
This is a big problem, as home security is involved.
I have sent an e-mail to Logitech (foolish boy!) but still await a reply.
They have acknowledge the request but are very busy just now!!!!!
Any thoughts???

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Logitech Alert Commander Security cameras do not work on Sierra 10.12!
This is a big problem, as home security is involved.
I have sent an e-mail to Logitech (foolish boy!) but still await a reply.
They have acknowledge the request but are very busy just now!!!!!
Any thoughts???

Don't upgrade to macOS Sierra until Logitech fixes the problem. If you've already upgraded then go back to El Capitan or whichever flavor of OS X you were using previously.

Reactions: CoastalOR

itspmm

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2016
Geelong, Australia
Just installed Sierra and wanted to see what works. So far from my testing the below work for me.

MOD EDIT: This is a wiki post, which is editable by anyone with the appropriate rights. Please update this post with compatible and incompatible apps to ensure the list is comprehensive. For apps with limited compatibility, please include a link to your post explaining the limitations. The lists are in alphabetical order.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compatible

1Password 6
2Do
4D v15.2
Accordance Bible
Adapter
Adium (requires manual connection)
Adobe Acrobat Pro 10
Adobe Acrobat Pro 11.0.16
Adobe Acrobat DC
Adone Acrobat Reader DC
Adobe Bridge CS6
Adobe Creative Cloud
Adobe Illustrator CC 2015.3
Adobe Illustrator CS6 (Needs Java 6)
Adobe Indesign CS6
Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Affinty Photo
Airmail 3
Airy YouTube Downloader
Alfred 3
Amphetamine
Apple Remote Desktop
AppZapper
Atom 1.7.4
BackBlaze 4.0.5.934
Banktivity 5 (formerly iBank)
Bartender 2 (Test Release)
Better Rename 9
BetterTouchTool
BetterSnapTool
BitTorrent Sync
Blackmagic Disk Speed Test
Caffeine
Carbon Copy Cloner 4.1.10-b4 <-(released 9/7/16)
CARROT Weather
CCleaner - 1.14.451
Chatology
Checkbook Pro
Chrome 51.0.2704.84
Cinema 4D R17
Citrix Receiver 12.2.0
Cloudmagic
Colormunki Display (sometimes need a reinstall and re-calibrate)
Commander One
coconutBattery
Coda
Continuity Activation Tool
CrossOver
CustomMenu 2.12
DaisyDisk
Dark Boot 4.0.6
DaVinci Resolve 12
Day One v2
Deliveries 2.0.1
Discord
Disk Inventory X
Disk Sensei
Disk Warrior 5.0
Downie 2.3.9
Drobo Dashboard
Dropbox
Dropshare
Duel (moved in incompatible)
Duet Display (using the latest iOS and OS X versions, after removing the OS X kext Extension and restarting, and installing the latest app version - 1.5.8.8 - and restarting; these instructions were related by the Developer); previous comments: (with iOS 10, although a bit choppy) (DP5>GM causes app to try & reinstall, won't reinstall)
EazyDraw 8.3.1 (new version)
Elmedia Player
Evernote
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard
Fan
Fantastical 2
Fetch 5.7.5
Final Cut Pro X (working fully as of GM)
FileZilla
Firefox
Fluid (and apps made with Fluid)
Flux
Folx Download Manager
Font Book (fixed in second beta)
F5 Big-IP Edge Client (VPN) - Now works in Public Beta 2
GhostTile
Google Drive Desktop App
Handbrake
HardwareGrowler
Hardware Monitor
HoudahSpot 4.2.1
iBackup (for iAccount iOS) - needs legacy java
iBooks
iDrive 3.4.0.15
iFlicks 2
iSkySoft iTube Studio 5.7.1
iStat Menu 5.11
iStat Pro
IVI Pro
iWeb
Itsycal
Keynote
Kindle (as of second Sierra seed)
Kodi
LastPass
Letterspace v1.6.4
Little Snitch Nightly build 3.7 (https://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/download.html)
Logic Pro X
LogMeIn
Logitech Control V3.9.5 (Updated/Fixed Sept 22 2016)
V3.9.3/V3.9.3 Don't recognize my Logitech Performance Mouse (Logitech Unifying Software V1.2.315 works). What this means is that my Logitech Mouse is Recognized, but just the left and right buttons work along with the scroll wheel. None of the other buttons can be programmed Because Unifying Software does not recognize the mouse.
Magnet
MacMiner
Malwarebytes
MAMP Pro 4
Microsoft Office 2008 (as of 16A294a)
Microsoft Office 2011 (All Applications)
Microsoft Office 2016
Microsoft OneDrive Personal (as of Public Beta 4)
Microsoft Remote Desktop
Mindnode
Minecraft 1.10
Moom
Mountain
MPlayer OSX Extended
MySQL Workbench 6.3.6
Nik Collection
Numbers
OmniFocus 2.5.3
OmniGraffle 6.0.4 (quite old)
OmniGraffle 5.4.4 (even older)
Onyx 3.2.0 or later
OpenEmu
Opera
Outside 1.1.10
ownCloud Client 2.2.0
Pages '09
PaintCode 2.4.2
Parallels 11.2.0
PDF Expert
Pinegrow Web Editor v2.9
Pixelmator (Magic Wand causes crash every time it is used, other than that no other observed issues)
Plex
PMT( PropertyMaintenanceTracker )
Pocket 1.6.2
Polar FlowSync 2.6.4
PopClip
PrintCheck
Pyware versions 8.0.1 and higher (due to using Oracle's Java and not the old MRJ)
Quicken 2007
Quicken 2015
Quicken 2016
QuickSleep 1.0.4
Quiver 3.0.2
Radio Silence
Reeder
Remotix
Scansnap Manager
ScreenConnect
Scrivener
ScummVM
Shazam
Sketch 3.8.3 by Bohemian Coding
SketchUp 2016
Skitch 2.7.8
Skype 7.30 (274)
Slack 2.0.3
Snapz Pro X 2.6
Spark 0.2.4.7
Spotify (although slow to launch and ever the memory hog)
Steam (now works on GM - previous comment: Code signature error, needs to be manually signed)
Stickies 10.0
StuffIt Expander
Subler
SuperDuper
SyncMate
TechTool Pro 8 & 9
Telegram (As of 6/20 update is unstable: https://macos.telegram.org)
Telegram Desktop
Text Expander 5.1.4
Text Wrangler
Textual 5
The Unarchiver
Transmission
Transmit
Trim Enabler
TunnelBear
TunnelBlick
Tweetbot 2.4 (though sometimes, tweets appear blank or empty... closing/restarting Tweetbot fixes the issue temporarily.)
Twitter
Ulysses (as of v2.6)
VMT ( VehicleMaintenanceTracker)
Vivaldi Web Browser (1.2.490.39) (64-bit)
VLC
WhatsApp Desktop
WiFi Explorer (latest version 2.2, 7 September 2016)
Yummy FTP
xAct
XLD

Limited Compatibility

Aperture 3.6 (limitations listed in Sierra release notes)
Acrobat Pro 11.0.16 - Will not Print. Fixed in PB4.
CleanMyMac 3 will prompt to install a beta release that supports Sierra (3.5b2)
DxO OpticsPro Elite 10.5.4: image work area reduced to a ⅓ in size, hardly workable this way. Feature control switches are functional but covered by label text. DxO support just confirmed the issue and it won't update version 10 and one has to migrate to DxO 11. Support ticket #105791.
Epson Printers: Scanning ICA Driver (5.8.6): no more multi-page PDF scanning. Scans one page only per output doc. Every new scan must be refreshed with a preview scan.
Fusion 8.1.1 (see this post)
gfxCardStatus (displays GPU status, but will always force discrete GPU since gfxCardStatus "requires" the discrete GPU)
GIMP (Default language changed, now stops loading)
Hazel (some rules do not work)
iTunes 10.4.1 Warning at startup, but plays music fine. Have not tried store or signing in.
Line (Voice calling causes "App not responding" and skips audio)
Logic Pro 9.1.8 (can crash intermittently)
MacPorts
  • neither the package for El Capitan, nor the port binary within that package, is compatible with Sierra
  • it's necessary to build from source
Screenflow 5 and 6 (opens but nothing shows up when recording)
Simple Comic (will not install latest update but reads CBR files okay)
Sonos (Desktop) - Crashes if left open when computer goes to sleep, otherwise, functionality works as expected.
Splashtop Business (installs but will not always connect to remote computers, closing and restarting the app seems to fix this temporarily)
uTorrent (can crash in certain circumstances)
VMware Fusion 8 (Turn of 3D acceleration if you get an "Internal Error." **works in Public Beta 2)

Incompatible

3D Coat
Adobe Dreamweaver CS5 (crashes on launch)
Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 (must reinstall Java 6, opens and functions, crashes on Save As...)
Adobe Illustrator CS6 (installer error, if update from prior OS, make work after reinstall Java 6)
Adobe InDesign CC (installs, but has some rendering issues when dragging objects)
Adobe Photoshop CS5 (crashes on close)
Adobe Photoshop CS6 (installer error, make work if update from prior OS)
Apptivate
AVG AntiVirus (doesn't open)
AVG Cleaner (crashes at launch)
BOX Sync (brings up Console, floods with errors, doesn't work at all)
BusyCal (crashes at launch)
Canon EOS Utility 2.14.20 - program starts but does not connect to Camera anymore. No more photo import or camera remote control. Essential functions disabled therefore.
Carbon Copy Cloner 4.19 (installs and opens for use but does not actually backup)
Cleanup SMB mess (icon has slash through it, Sierra throws error when launching)
Contacts (Apple's Application) Crashes FOR SOME at launch
Disk Warrior (launches and works for a while but crashes in the end before replacing the rebuilt directory)
EazyDraw 7 (crashes at launch)
ESET Cyber Security Pro 6.2.6.0 (not working when copied with Migration Ass., can't clean install)
EtreCheck (crashes during scan)
Final Draft 9 (crashes at launch) (Update to 9.0.9 fixes problems)
Freemacsoft LiteIcon 3.6.3 (Error message at launch even when SIP is disabled)
Greek Radio (icon has slash through it, Sierra throws error when launching)
GPGTools (not working with Sierra yet, they are working on it at @ https://gpgtools.org)
GPSPhotoLinker (with 10.10 and 10.11 it required manual install of Perl 5.10 and deactivation of System Integrity Protection (csrutil) but now stopped working at all with 10.12 (http://www.earlyinnovations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2513&start=10)
GutenPrint (current version does not work and is disabled by the macOS installer)
Identify 551 (developer has announced that he has ceased development on this program, as well)
Karabiner (needs major changes, not coming anytime soon)
Little Snitch 3.6.3 (see nightly build instead https://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/download.html)
Maintenance (crashes at launch)
Movist (crashes after some minutes)
MPlayerX
Online Bible 4.2.1 (crashes with Internal Error due to undocumented function in Sierra GM)
Patterns (regex app from the MAS - marked as incompatible)
Pulse Secure 5.2r2 (backend dsAccessService seg faults when run)
Pyware versions 8.0.0, 7, 6, and lower (due to Apple's MRJ Java--not able to be installed on 10.12)
Quicken Essentials for Mac 1.7.4 (icon has slash through it, Sierra throws error when launching)
RapidWeaver 7 (Opens projects and appears to work but crashes when previewing Site) - Working after update to 7.0.4
Razer Synapse 2.0. (Loads but can't detect device(s))
Safari Technology Preview 9.1.2
Seil (needs major changes, not coming anytime soon)
SIMBL (SafariStand etc.)
Splashtop Streamer (installer will crash on fresh installs, but will stream if previously installed on El Cap then updated to Sierra)
SyncTwoFolders 2.19 (Crashes after selecting destination or target folder)
Yosemite Disk Utility patched to run on El Capitan (crashes at launch)
Microsoft OneDrive (Crashes at Launch) -- works for me -- works as of PB4
Western Digital Disk Tools (Complains about needing to be launched from Applications folder)
WhatsApp Desktop (always recommends moving to Application folder when it is already there, and will lose login details prompting QR scans every time OS restarts) -- ChitChat works for me
WriteRoom 2.5.1 (marked as incompatible)
ZenMate (makes initial VPN connection then disconnects)

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
yes it opens, haven't used it much though but seems ok on first look

Can anyone confirm that the last version of iPhoto still works in Sierra? I was thinking of upgrading to Sierra tonight, now that the first update has been released, but I'm still trying to get my iPhoto collection organized before I (finally) migrate over to Photos. Thanks.

hhonest

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2016
Seems XtraFinder is working fine again, since most recent OS Sierra update (10.12.1). Really very happy with that!!! It used to crash almost every minute before the update.
I still have SIP disabled though (like in OS El Capitan) and guess will have to leave it like that.

The terrible scrolling performance in Office for Mac 2011 (Powerpoint, Word, Excel) has also vanished since 10.12.1. That's a big relief for me too!

So finally things seem to settle in OS Sierra and I'm starting to like it better all the time :):apple:

@jk73 iPhoto is still working fine in OS Sierra.

zlloyd1

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2016
I ran through all the apps that I have installed on my 2015 rMBP 13", and did as much quick testing as I could to compile a list of fairly common third party apps that do/don't work in macOS Sierra. Feel free to add to this list as you see fit and I'll try to keep it up to date.

For the purposes of this test, I did not check built in/Apple made apps (with the exception of Final Cut) since that will largely be discussed in the bugs thread. Although I was unable to load any content in Time Machine (even from backups made since the update) which was frustrating. But that's another thread. Anyway, on to the list.

Apps that work in Sierra:

1Password 6
Adapter
Airmail 3
Alfred 3
Amphetamine
BetterTouchTool
Blackmagic Disk Speed Test
coconutBattery
Disk Inventory X
Dropbox
Duet (with iOS 10, although a bit choppy)
Evernote
Final Cut Pro X (launches but have not used)
Firefox
Flux
Handbrake (launches but have not used)
Itsycal
Kodi
Magnet
Malwarebytes
Microsoft Office 2016
OpenEmu (tried several emulators)
Plex
PopClip
Scrivener
ScummVM
Shazam
Simple Comic (will not install latest update but reads CBR files okay)
Spotify (although slow to launch and ever the memory hog)
Steam
StuffIt Expander
The Unarchiver
Tweetbot
uTorrent (can crash in certain circumstances)
VLC

Apps that do not work in Sierra:

Bartender 2 (crashes at launch)
CleanMyMac 3 (crashes at launch)
EtreCheck (crashes during scan)
Final Draft 9 (crashes at launch)
Fluid (any apps made with Fluid crash on startup)
Maintenance (crashes at launch)
Onyx (crashes at launch)
Ulysses (crashes at launch)

All in all, this is a pretty stable first release with most of the apps I use commonly working without issue. Hope this list helps those that are debating updating their main machine against all recommendations like I have.

Contrary to what you posted here, VLC has endless bugs with Sierra, and I would suggest finding a different player honestly!!

zlloyd1

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2016
am using vlc here (just basic playback) and seems ok...

I am happy that the player is working for you, but I am not talking about basic use, and am referring to playlists not being able to loop even if you set them to replay all in preferences....

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
THAT was what I wrote initially, but thanks for the permission....

you said it didn't work, i just reported that it worked for me. then all hell broke loose. but yes, you do have my permission to find another player (and you have my permission to drop this discussion). and now, back to work...

zlloyd1

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2016
you said it didn't work, i just reported that it worked for me. then all hell broke loose. but yes, you do have my permission to find another player (and you have my permission to drop this discussion). and now, back to work...

All hell broke loose?? Where did that come from??
I made a simple comment, and you JUMPED on it for some reason, but yes, let's drop this ignorance!!

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
All hell broke loose?? Where did that come from??
I made a simple comment, and you JUMPED on it for some reason, but yes, let's drop this ignorance!!

ok, truce. honestly, this is all i posted, and not sure why things got out of hand:

"am using vlc here (just basic playback) and seems ok..."

and this, don't take so seriously:

"all hell broke loose"

obviously, nothing terrible happened. i guess i should have added a winking emoji...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.