Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Explelsius

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2020
Currently known bugs (Build 22A5266r):

• Some users cannot access the internet
  • Alias for Safari in the Applications folder
  • Stage Manager sometimes crashes
  • Stage Manager animations have low framerate
  • Stage Manager apps (on the left) might automatically hide (bug or feature?)
  • Cycling through the windows of an app in Stage Manager behaves differently depending on the speed you click. Clicking slow only cycles between the currently active window and the "top" window, clicking faster cycles through all windows of the app.
  • Animations in the Weather app flip when enabling the sidebar.
  • The new System Preferences is buggy, sometimes panels scroll/wobble upwhen they should have fixed height.
  • Moving the cursor in text with the keyboard is buggy, sometimes the cursor moves very fast/jumps, sometimes it moves very slow, character for character.
  • Wallet might throw the error "Could not set up Apple Pay"
  • Finder might refuse to copy files from a smb/nfs network share (due to allegedly insufficient permissions)
  • MAS/iTunes might not load
  • Mac might now wake up from sleep/panic during sleep
  • Notification sounds might play much later
  • "Utilities" folder missing when opening application folder from within the dock
  • might not be able to install new fonts
Graphics Issue with Ipad apps on Ventura M1 Mac, maybe the new Metal 3 API

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
WindowServer crashing when waking from sleep when an external LG Ultrafine 5K display is attached.

I have random WindowServer crashes, that also crashes most applications that are running, when the M1 Max laptop is awaken from sleep when the LG Ultrafine 5K display is attached. It doesn't always happen, but I see crashes several times every day. I did some experiments quitting various applications before allowing the laptop to sleep, but all of these still resulted in WindowServer crashes upon waking from sleep. The only that that has stopped these random crashes is to unplug the external monitor before allowing the laptop to sleep. I haven't yet had a WindowServer crash when the external monitor is not attached, so I suspect this problem stems from the interaction of the WindowServer and the external monitor.

macOS 13.0 Beta

jplw

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2007
Unsigned applications from known developers, while they can be given all kinds of privileges via System Settings, cannot be made a login item. Attempts to add them as a login item are completely and silently ignored.

Reactions: tedson

Shorty89

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2015
The only issue I am having so far is in safari. When using Safari and having multiple tabs open sometimes up to 18 it will just randomly jump to another one.

Last edited:

Pecka

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2022
The only issue I am having so far is in safari. When using Safari and having multiple tabs open sometimes up to 18 it will just randomly jump to another one.
Try to disable iCloud sync for Safari and see if that helps.

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
Okay. A few very annoying bugs (over more than 250 I reported for Big Sur and Monterey that are still not fixed in Ventura…):
- natural language not working with non-english keyboard in Reminders (when clicking on the suggested time it doesn’t delete it from the title of the reminder)
- « clear all » button that doesn’t work when multiple Reminders notifications are grouped together on macOS: it clears one notification at a time…
- System settings uses the unedited version of a photo from Photos instead of the edited one for Wallpapers and Screensavers (this bug has been around since Big Sur 11.3 and is soo annoying as I always edit images I use as screensaver and wallpaper)
- Preview background doesn’t adapt dark/light switch: that makes it very ugly when one opens it while system is in dark mode and then it goes to light mode. This has been broken since Big sur I believe.
- impossible to enable low power mode from control centre like we do on iOS and iPadOS: that makes this feature completely useless
- menu bar not correctly adapted to notch especially for tinier Mac… that will be chaos with the new 13 MacBook Air… I’d bet they would « sherlock » Bartender or offer a way to automatically put menu bar items into Control Centre when there is not enough room… but they did nothing.
-…

And not to mention every graphical glitch or bad adaptation from Catalyst app… it’s so sad to see macOS being so abandoned by Apple when Macs have never sold so well...
This. I'm exhausted with the bugs in Mac OS, to the point that I'm considering bringing in Windows for many tasks. It's reminiscent of the mid 1990s, only that was due to a maxed-out system architecture whereas this seems to be due to arrogance and laziness. Where is Avie Tevanian when you need him? Seriously, that was the best that Mac OS has ever worked -- 10.4 Tiger.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
This. I'm exhausted with the bugs in Mac OS, to the point that I'm considering bringing in Windows for many tasks. It's reminiscent of the mid 1990s, only that was due to a maxed-out system architecture whereas this seems to be due to arrogance and laziness. Where is Avie Tevanian when you need him? Seriously, that was the best that Mac OS has ever worked -- 10.4 Tiger.
what bugs specifically? and are you aware that millions of macusers are fine, and most of us aren't experiencing bugs to the extent we need to switch platforms? perhaps get help with the issues you're having, instead of complaining; just a thought.

10.4? lol, yes, let's bring back 2005. (still, a nice change from the snow leopard fanboys)...

Reactions: 3Rock and mikecwest

MrWeenus

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2017
Romania
Just to let you know that the "stage manager hiding windows on the left randomly" thing is a normal feature (I think). It seems to only happen if you have apps running that use accessibility and manipulate things via hacks.

For example, if I enable "monitorcontrol" an app to control external third party monitors, the stage manager hides all the time, because the app is using a little hack that has an invisible window or something (I'm not really sure, but that's what makes sense in my head) to control my monitor's functions, such as brightness and volume. quitting the app makes everything return to normal.

of course, stage manager will hide because there's a huge invisible window over the whole desktop.

apple might or might not fix this. if they don't, apps like these will have to find a different workaround

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
In Monterey I could add a menubar button, "shortcuts" and from there it would drop down a list. Now... that same button displays an "open shortcuts" dialog. Really miss that feature

1961russ

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2021
WindowServer crashing when waking from sleep when an external LG Ultrafine 5K display is attached.

I have random WindowServer crashes, that also crashes most applications that are running, when the M1 Max laptop is awaken from sleep when the LG Ultrafine 5K display is attached. It doesn't always happen, but I see crashes several times every day. I did some experiments quitting various applications before allowing the laptop to sleep, but all of these still resulted in WindowServer crashes upon waking from sleep. The only that that has stopped these random crashes is to unplug the external monitor before allowing the laptop to sleep. I haven't yet had a WindowServer crash when the external monitor is not attached, so I suspect this problem stems from the interaction of the WindowServer and the external monitor.

macOS 13.0 Beta
Same here with a 2017 MBP connected to a 27" Dell QHD external monitor. Can't find a specific trigger just seems to be random.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
Same here with a 2017 MBP connected to a 27" Dell QHD external monitor. Can't find a specific trigger just seems to be random.
Because it does appear to be random, in that the identical situation does not always produce the WindowServer to crash, I am slowly narrowing down when it occurs. I've quit each of my applications in turn and then allowed the laptop to go to sleep and see if the WindowServer crashes upon being awakened.

So far I've narrowed it down to be not dependent on any of my applications. And it isn't even dependent on the laptop going to sleep. It doesn't happen without an external display attached. It happens, randomly, after the external display turns off but the laptop is still awake -- when a key is pressed to turn the displays back on, the WindowServer will occasionally crash -- not always, but occasionally. If I use a screen saver instead of allowing the displays to turn off, then the WindowServer does not crash -- at least not for the last two days.

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
Am I missing something, or did Apple take away the ability to create Network Locations on Ventura? I see the ones I created on Monterey before I upgraded, but I can't find anywhere in Settings to edit or add locations.

lungbutter

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2014
Anyone else having Wi-Fi issues since installing the beta? I haven’t been able to connect to Wi-Fi, I disabled little snitch and NordVPN but that didn’t help. It works in safe mode. Any suggestions? I tried a search here and on Reddit but haven’t found any fixes.
I had the same isssue. I uninstalled LS and MS and my VPNs. Works much better in that it actually works. I’m using ProtonVPN with IKE2 and it’s working well. Mullvad flat out said they won’t have anything until it’s released. Didn’t follow-up with PIA but they always have beta issues.

Hope this helps.

lungbutter

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2014
I’ll search again but Ventura is starting to act a little wonky. I was prompted to re-enter three passwords for email accounts.

Now, the App Store just sits and spins. Won’t update anything. Logged out and back in to AppleID, tried the hack mentioned to remove some directories under Library/Containers, etc. Anyone else with App Store issues?

MrWeenus

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2017
Romania
Yes, I can confirm that notifications are totally screwed up on my end as well. Hopefully beta 2 in the next couple of days :(

I hung in there until today, but I don't know how much I'll hang with these broken notifications. Other than that, Ventura was pretty stable on a production machine that I use daily for work.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
For me, it's only Messages notifications that are messed up. Somehow, the message comes in and it takes the OS almost 10 minutes to go to the effort of running the notification. Very weird.

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
Notification Center keeps hanging. You can fix this (temporarily) by either force quitting it in Activity Monitor or via the terminal - launch it and type killall NotificationCenter. It’ll automatically restart and “work” for a short period of time before it gets stuck again.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
I’ll search again but Ventura is starting to act a little wonky. I was prompted to re-enter three passwords for email accounts.

Now, the App Store just sits and spins. Won’t update anything. Logged out and back in to AppleID, tried the hack mentioned to remove some directories under Library/Containers, etc. Anyone else with App Store issues?
Same on App Store

Reactions: lungbutter

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
search in Mail.app was not working at all in Beta 1. If someone had that issue with beta 1 and it is resolved in beta 2 please let me know. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.