Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

holisticrunner

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2019
For every person called "fanboy", there's another called "hater". And I think things are a bit heated right now because the Vision Pro is a very divisive piece of tech, with some dedicated to it as an investment in the future, and others thinking it's the completely wrong direction for Apple to go in.
It's easy to hate Vision Pro ... because it's $3500 LOL ...

It's a low-hanging fruit for all Apple haters to say it's overpriced. Anything that Apple charges more than what an average person can afford, the haters go nuts online.

All first-gen Apple products get a backlash because it's easy to question anything new, and poking holes at first-gen products makes you feel smarter than the brain trust of Apple Inc. Because you know, there's no way Apple would have ever thought of what tech bros thought of.

Apple only had 10+ years to think it over, and what track record does Apple have in making successful products aside from iPod, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, AirPods, Apple Silicon, MacBooks, iOS, MacOS, App Store, Apple Store, ...

Literally none, aside from what I mentioned.

Reactions: kitKAC and I7guy

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
I own Apple products, and for the most part I really enjoy using them, but I'm not some loyal servant to the company, and I'm allowed to have my gripes and opinions whether others agree with it or not.

If other people's opinions are so scary, perhaps the internet isn't the place for you.

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
It's easy to hate Vision Pro ... because it's $3500 LOL ...

It's a low-hanging fruit for all Apple haters to say it's overpriced. Anything that Apple charges more than what an average person can afford, the haters go nuts online.

All first-gen Apple products get a backlash because it's easy to question anything new, and poking holes at first-gen products makes you feel smarter than the brain trust of Apple Inc. Because you know, there's no way Apple would have ever thought of what tech bros thought of.

Apple only had 10+ years to think it over, and what track record does Apple have in making successful products aside from iPod, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, AirPods, Apple Silicon, MacBooks, iOS, MacOS, App Store, Apple Store, ...

Literally none, aside from what I mentioned.
All of Apple's products have an inflated price, but people find a value and utility in the products and buy them anyway.

It's half the fun for some Apple users because they get to call others peasants for not being able to afford what they have.

THAT is the real toxicity round here.

*sent from my M3 Pro MacBook Pro*

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
For the most part, I agree with this entire post. There have always been trolls here, but now unless you get into the really niche topics you can't really have a positive or constructive conversation about anything without someone wanting to sabotage the conversation with their nonsense.

Unfortunately, I think this is just a problem with "humans" rather than specifically Macrumors, however that doesn't excuse the fact that the forum rules here tend to favor the trolls rather than the people who speak out against them.

My advice is usually if you are like me and get excited about new product launches, go to the shipping threads that are always posted for every launch and make friends with those people. It's usually a really fun conversation and any criticism of Apple tends to be rational and constructive, not personal attacks and trolling.

Other than those threads or if you're trying to get help with a specific problem or give someone feedback on a specific problem, the forums here are 99% knowitalls and trolls who would never buy an Apple product.

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
All of Apple's products have an inflated price, but people find a value and utility in the products and buy them anyway.

It's half the fun for some Apple users because they get to call others peasants for not being able to afford what they have.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at with my initial posts in this thread, re. where negativity comes from, because it absolutely can come from those who are "pro-Apple" and think of themselves as the positive ones. There's not much positive about telling people they're just too poor to afford the products you like. Belittling people over perceived economic status is actually quite toxic. 🤷‍♂️

AhmetRyzen

Suspended
Dec 31, 2023
Adana, Turkey
Nothing in this universe is flawless or perfect. For 3 years, I badmouthed Apple to everyone around me. But I love Apple and its products. There are some people. First, those who have no knowledge about Apple and blindly defend it. Secondly, those who use Apple to show off so that those around me will see that I am rich. They are divided into four groups: the third, a group that has prestige but does not know Apple, and the fourth, those who have knowledge about Apple and defend Apple. I define myself as the fourth. The reason is that Apple has not been able to abandon 60 Hz in its flat models since the iPhone still using 20W charger. Do you think it is possible not to criticize?

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

holisticrunner

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2019

It’s only inflated if nobody buys them or the company isn’t profitable 🤷🏻‍♂️

There’s this thing called Supply and demand. According to your logic, all high fashion, fine dining restaurant products/services are overpriced. 😬

Why does one care if someone calls them poor if you aren’t poor? It’s the internet, people call other people names. This isn’t middle school anymore where you go home and cry to your mommies.

Just need to grow thick skin.

Last edited:

scubachap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
UK
I thought this was a discussion forum rather than a 'fan site'. I think we've all noticed that over the last few years people's behaviour everywhere is being increasingly conditioned by social media... There's an increasing tendency to search for opportunities to gain quick aggressive(?) status enhancing dopamine hits rather than trying to source information about a product or to fix a specific problem and I think that true of many online interactions these days.

The interesting stuff is still on here you just now have to wade through a lot of 'my dad could beat up your dad' sort of playground stuff to get to it.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I thought this was a discussion forum rather than a 'fan site'.

That was also my impression

I don't even know what one does on a "fan site" necessarily..
Just cheer for everything?

The reason is that Apple has not been able to abandon 60 Hz in its flat models since the iPhone still using 20W charger. Do you think it is possible not to criticize?

Not having ProMotion everywhere by now is one of the most "If Steve were still around" things...they haven't done.
They very much used to get the best tech out to all the products as soon as it was practical..

Why?

Because it made for better products for customers.

Segmenting things to the degree they do now, to artificially create tiers and extract more money for features/components/experiences that should be everywhere, is a VERY Tim Cook thing and it's really sad to see.

Same thing for ridiculously not having 16GB RAM default everywhere by now.
The way people defend that is honestly hilarious -- sad -- and hilarious.

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
what I have observed among people I talk to is a certain duality: you either hate or love Apple, and the haters tend to be stronger.
Being critical of Apple doesn't mean I hate the company. What I see in Apple is a company with good product offerings I like using, but one that could ease up a little on the greed – like allowing small developers and open-source software to exist in the iOS ecosystem without threatening everyone with asinine fees – and still be plenty profitable.

• Love

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
What I see in Apple is a company with good product offerings I like using, but one that could ease up a little on the greed – like allowing small developers and open-source software to exist in the iOS ecosystem without threatening everyone with asinine fees – and still be plenty profitable.

...and bump the base RAM up to 16GB across the board.

Those would be vastly better and longer lasting products for Apple customers and would cost Apple pennies, nickels and dimes at their scale.

(but of course they wouldn't be able to gouge on wildly over priced upgrades)

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
It’s getting a bit ridiculous. Half the people I would ask , why are you even on an Apple forum if you down even own Apple products or don’t like them at all

Consider the posts you have read recently - padded out content with fairly weak criticisms and/or strengths around various products. Every iOS update receiving its own huge post, etc. It's a tactic to keep your attention on the site to generate more clicks (it's also an engagement metric).

Unfortunately it's the world we live in today. My suggestion is to work on spotting these tactics and skip the content/ads that aren't helping you.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Being critical of Apple doesn't mean I hate the company. What I see in Apple is a company with good product offerings I like using, but one that could ease up a little on the greed – like allowing small developers and open-source software to exist in the iOS ecosystem without threatening everyone with asinine fees – and still be plenty profitable.
Why don't you think this is happening today?

The thing with the App Store is that the time to make an impact was when it was new. Today you're 1 among a billion+ apps.

The challenge isn't lower costs or open-source software.

• Angry

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
...and bump the base RAM up to 16GB across the board.

Those would be vastly better and longer lasting products for Apple customers and would cost Apple pennies, nickels and dimes at their scale.

(but of course they wouldn't be able to gouge on wildly over priced upgrades)
The company claims to be environmentally friendly, but actions speak louder than words...8 GB is definitely not environmentally friendly.

• Love

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Why don't you think this is happening today?

The thing with the App Store is that the time to make an impact was when it was new. Today you're 1 among a billion+ apps.

The challenge isn't lower costs or open-source software.
I never said the open-source apps have to be on the App Store. Some, like iDOS, are not even allowed on it.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
For every person called "fanboy", there's another called "hater". And I think things are a bit heated right now because the Vision Pro is a very divisive piece of tech, with some dedicated to it as an investment in the future, and others thinking it's the completely wrong direction for Apple to go in.

What can you say - some people don't like change. I still like paying my bills in person and writing my letters with a fountain tip pen.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
I never said the open-source apps have to be on the App Store. Some, like iDOS, are not even allowed on it.

Don't you think that's the best thing about the App Store?

Apple act as a gatekeeper to ensure our devices remain safe.

As for iDOS - you can appreciate apple does not want a vector where code can be updated without being vetted first.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008

Apple acts as a gatekeeper of their business rules and practices in the App Store

It's not about "safety" -- that's just a narrative they like to use to try to justify their iOS App Distribution Monopoly

• Sad
Reactions: I7guy

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

As for iDOS - you can appreciate apple does not want a vector where code can be updated without being vetted first.
A lot of open-source software is completely safe, including the open-source software you’re using right now to access this forum. It’s safe because it’s open-source, not in spite of - if any bad code tries to sneak in, it’s immediately flagged by someone else in the community.

Apple is one gatekeeper, and not a perfect one at that - I’d put more trust in an entire community of gatekeepers instead.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
A lot of open-source software is completely safe, including the open-source software you’re using right now to access this forum. It’s safe because it’s open-source, not in spite of - if any bad code tries to sneak in, it’s immediately flagged by someone else in the community.

Apple is one gatekeeper, and not a perfect one at that - I’d put more trust in an entire community of gatekeepers instead.

Exactly right.
The "open" part of "open-source" is where the safety comes from.

It's all out in the open for anyone to see and dig into

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
I think a large majority of us here like Apple and love their products.

However, that doesn't preclude one from being critical, or disagreeing with certain decisions of the company.

Hatters are everywhere, but hatters are one thing, and it's another that people can't disagree with the decisions of the company we like.

• Love

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Having differing opinions where those opinions are presented in a straightforward way is not the issue, at least from my point of view. I don’t care if many threads are divisive because of the opinions therein. And obviously the EU laws are right now the divisive topic with many on opposite sides.

What toxic means to me is the presentation and style of writing. There is no need to be rude, discourteous, borderline trolling, borderline ad-homs or personal.

I’ve have become immune to the reactions also, which in other threads in S&FF we know people believe they contribute to a toxic environment. But let people downvote or “haha” me. With “haha” the jokes on them because my reaction score goes up.

It’s almost like sticks and stones, but in this case words, contribute, imo, to the “alleged toxic” environment.

(And yes I’m one of the one App Store supporters)

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
It’s getting a bit ridiculous. Half the people I would ask , why are you even on an Apple forum if you down even own Apple products or don’t like them at all
Some of us have a complex love-hate relationship with Apple. I will always have some form of low-mid-range MacBook Pro, cellular iPad mini, and iPhone. I'm locked into the ecosystem until the company goes out of business, assuming that ever happens in my lifetime. Untangling from it will be an immense undertaking that I simply do not have the time, energy, nor wherewithal for and probably won't anytime soon. I do like those products. But they're far from perfect and whether they are or not, I'm trapped. I'm not alone in this. You can have complex opinions that aren't black-or-white positive or negative, still be critical, and still have some enjoyment of Apple and their products even though they also drive you crazy.

Considering the current state of the company and, especially, the quality control on their software and on AppleCare itself, this seems more reasonable of a mindset than either blind zealotry or blind wholesale criticism; though, I can at least empathize with the latter, personally.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
You can have complex opinions that aren't black-or-white positive or negative, still be critical, and still have some enjoyment of Apple and their products even though they also drive you crazy.

Amen to this ^^

It's particularly true if you've been using Apple for a long time, as many of us have (talking many decades here...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.