Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This in image heavy threads? Does it jump around after you click?

Very possibly, as I have noticed the same thing as @Huntn - namely, that it doesn't jump to the post shown in the alert, but several posts above that, often close to the top of the page.

However, your observation about image heavy threads makes sense; before the update, some of those were slow to load.

Reactions: Huntn

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Very possibly, as I have noticed the same thing as @Huntn - namely, that it doesn't jump to the post shown in the alert, but several posts above that, often close to the top of the page.

However, your observation about image heavy threads makes sense; before the update, some of those were slow to load.
We added a lazy loading plugin so image heavy threads might “pop in” as images load. I’ll test it a little more

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Blue color + underline is better. Underline alone looks almost the same as a simple styling choice.

Only one of those is a link.
Are you saying they arnt blue? To me those two look very different.

Attachments

• 28C23025-FC8D-48AC-BDE4-7E5E9EC293F2.jpeg
    28C23025-FC8D-48AC-BDE4-7E5E9EC293F2.jpeg
    416.5 KB · Views: 82

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Are you saying they arnt blue? To me those two look very different.
On desktop (at least here on my Mac), the normal text is #2c2c2c and the link color is #152a44, which is a (much) darker blue - almost, but not entirely, indistinguishable - from the normal text...

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
On desktop (at least here on my Mac), the normal text is #2c2c2c and the link color is #152a44, which is a (much) darker blue - almost, but not entirely, indistinguishable - from the normal text...
I can confirm those are exactly the colors I get for the text and links in my desktop Firefox here.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Weird. I didn't change anything :)

edit: oh wait, I know why it changed. We had an old version in place we updated.

arn
To be honest, I wasn't at all sure where the fix may have happened. After my earlier post, and before the one with the blue-link screenshot, I'd done a "safe launch" of Firefox, although at that point links were still showing up as before (not noticeably blue). Then I was wandering around in other forums here, and also did a couple more quit/launch cycles (but no other safe launches), when I suddently noticed that a link was distinctly blue. I double-checked it in this thread, on the off change it might be some weirdly cached CSS resource, but the links were as blue as an azure sky of deepest summer.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hey hey hey! I saw what you did with the sub-forum icons. I like them, Watches for the Apple Watch Section, iMacs for the Mac section... Maybe the iOS sub-forum is a bit more messy. I personally would leave the iPhone icon for all the iOS section, same way as you have an iMac for all the Mac section. It gives a much cleaner image. A sense of uniformity.

My 2 cents.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2019-09-27 a las 0.59.04.png
    Captura de pantalla 2019-09-27 a las 0.59.04.png
    96 KB · Views: 78

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hey hey hey! I saw what you did with the sub-forum icons. I like them, Watches for the Apple Watch Section, iMacs for the Mac section... Maybe the iOS sub-forum is a bit more messy. I personally would leave the iPhone icon for all the iOS section, same way as you have an iMac for all the Mac section. It gives a much cleaner image. A sense of uniformity.

My 2 cents.

Yep. Those are actually temporary until we get images made for the cats, but u may be right. Will mess with it later

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It might be because we have (relatively) long user names. If I "open image in new tab" or make the window smaller (to hide the user name) the avatar is just fine...
Alrighty... now I'm on my laptop.. Lenovo X220. In Firefox, I have the squished icon.

I opened my suckless.org browser, surf, and logged in to MacRumors and with that browser, I have the normal and proper icon.

However, each browser is in it's own workspace and full screen.

When I put both browsers side by side on the same workspace, the icon in Firefox turns normal. That's weird because the browser (Firefox) gets reduced to halfsize to share the window and you would think that would be what makes it squished. But the behavior is opposite. Very weird.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I like the individualized icons for the iPhone & iOS sections. They look simple, clean, and clear at different levels of zoom. The color is another cue (except for @Doctor Q (see what I did there?)).

The icons for all the Mac forums are too numerous to be identical. I think a few small changes can help there. For example, add some icons along the bottom edge of the screen to signify "Apps", a "?" on the screen for Buying Advice, and a MacBook icon for the Notebooks section.

The Mac Community icons are too busy. Instead of having 2 overlapping speech balloons, which I think looks like a palm-upward hand holding a speech balloon, just make them a single speech balloon. The Markeplace one can have a "$" inside its balloon, and Picture Gallery can have the outline of a picture frame. PRSI can have a crossed-swords icon in its balloon. Or a grenade.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Uploaded images don’t work well at all on mobile. I have to go to the actual link (little arrow going out of the square top right) to be able to zoom in and out properly. Just clicking on an image will only load half of it and trying to zoom in zooms in way too far.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Thank you for upgrading the forum software. The old, however nice, was getting a bit dated. I'm anxious to see where you take the design. I'm liking the new forum icons and such.

I do have an issue. If you click on a forum link, there is a white page that flashes on the screen before the new (dark) page loads. I doesn't happen all the time but it shock on the eyes. :eek:

Reactions: Populus

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
What's up with people embedding tweets into their signatures? It's annoying af. Please disable. I'm not making a political statement here, but here is an example:

Last edited by a moderator:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What's up with people embedding tweets into their signatures? It's annoying af. Please disable. I'm not making a political statement here, but here is an example:
I removed the image since we don't allow public discussion of moderation. It looks like a bug with the way Tweets are displayed in signatures and the admins are aware of it.

Reactions: Zwhaler
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.