Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I like the new icons on the front page ? The more things are fine tuned the more I like this update.

I still wish the front page mobile view allowed for direct access to popular device forums (iPhone, MacBook Pro, iPad, iMac, etc.) instead of taking you to another page with a list of the subforums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I like the new icons on the front page ? The more things are fine tuned the more I like this update.

I still wish the front page mobile view allowed for direct access to popular device forums (iPhone, MacBook Pro, iPad, iMac, etc.) instead of taking you to another page with a list of the subforums.

I turned them on. It is a little more cluttered on mobile... but not that bad. I do want to reduce some of the subforums and do some consolidation. So that will help.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I turned them on. It is a little more cluttered on mobile... but not that bad. I do want to reduce some of the subforums and do some consolidation. So that will help.

Thank you! I think it looks pretty good :) Appreciate all your hard work!

Reactions: hagjohn and arn

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Really pleased to see dark side extended to the whole website. The transition was jarring.

Reactions: arn

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Yeah! I like that touch as well. It is nice to see how the new Forum is shaping and evolving, polishing little details.

I've found what may be a bug on the forum. The Drafts feature to save what you've been writing is very useful, as it kinda works in the cloud to save what you've been typing. BUT, when you're opening a new thread, it looks like it saves it, but it doesn't. When you close Safari, and open it again, the new thread is empty, both the title and the body of the post. It doesn't save it, and I think the functionality is intended to work on those situations as well.

Lastly, hey! nice icons on the front page of the Forum! I like them, but I've got a suggestion for the App Store subforums: instead of a grid of squares, you could use the App Store icon that we see on macOS, iOS and WatchOS, I think it is the same on all operating systems. It is just a suggestion.

See you!

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2019-09-28 a las 14.28.02.png
    Captura de pantalla 2019-09-28 a las 14.28.02.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Captura de pantalla 2019-09-28 a las 14.26.39.png
    Captura de pantalla 2019-09-28 a las 14.26.39.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Captura de pantalla 2019-09-28 a las 14.27.04.png
    Captura de pantalla 2019-09-28 a las 14.27.04.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 73

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Love the new section iconography! I saw it was updated the other day, but the sub-areas were all the same, i.e., all areas under Mac shared the same, but these new unique icons are terrific.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Got to say I like the changes very much. Well done and well executed.

Also, got to say this site is run by some of the most thoughtful and responsive group of people on the Internet. You listen, consider, and carefully act on suggestions...almost to the point of collaboration.

Although you all are a little hard on me sometimes, wholly unjustifiably, it’s still a great place!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
You mean when u get an alert that your post has been merged?

Yeah, I believe that’s what he’s referring to. I could do without that particular alert as well if it’s not too much trouble to disable.

Yes, I am not completely certain that it (the merged post alert) is entirely necessary.

On a separate but related topic, I note that now, instead of little blue icons depicting a car, or a pencil, under the name of the person who started the thread, - signalling thread starter - threads now come complete with a green band on which is written in white "Original poster" under the name of the thread starter.

This is much better, to my mind, and makes it perfectly obvious who started the thread. Well done.
I like the change to the 'Original Poster' tag on thread starters. Green, bright and easily distinguishable. Thanks, @arn :cool:

Also, the Front Page looks nice in dark mode, too.

I've already commented on this - the very welcome change to "Original Poster" tag in green with white print - elsewhere, just a few minutes ago.

Anyway, agreed, in fact - completely agreed - I like it too, and makes it easy to distinguish just who has started the thread.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
@arn A minor request, if I may. Could the 'Watched threads' menu link be moved to the left of the 'Find threads' link? I use that link a lot, and on mobile, I have to slide the menu over a bit to get to it.

Reactions: mollyc

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Any possibilities of the previous forum landing page making a comeback? Current one seems messy and a step backwards in my opinion. Putting in a vote to see this back:

Screenshot_2019-09-28 MacRumors Forums(1) copy.png

Thanks

Reactions: Akrapovic

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Another thing about merged posts, if someone quotes you and it merges into their previous post you do not get a quote notification, I've noticed this happen to me twice so far and I wasn't able to respond to them in a timely manner as I was unaware they replied. Is there any way this can be fixed?

Reactions: Populus

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
@arn A minor request, if I may. Could the 'Watched threads' menu link be moved to the left of the 'Find threads' link? I use that link a lot, and on mobile, I have to slide the menu over a bit to get to it.
I agree with this. Would also love to see "What's New" and "New Posts" flipped.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Another thing about merged posts, if someone quotes you and it merges into their previous post you do not get a quote notification, I've noticed this happen to me twice so far and I wasn't able to respond to them in a timely manner as I was unaware they replied. Is there any way this can be fixed?
It was the same behavior as before the recent update. I'm not sure that there is a fix for that.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
It was the same behavior as before the recent update. I'm not sure that there is a fix for that.
Before the update it used to still notify, I actually made a thread about it:

The quoted member will still be notified if consecutive posts are automatically merged.
[doublepost=1519809542][/doublepost]
Automatic post merge test. :)

I have my settings set so that I don't automatically "Watch" every thread I post in, which is why it's easy for me to miss.

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Macrumors main website changes to Dark mode when the theme in the Mac is Dark. But on the forum you can change it at will, and enjoy a dark forum even when your desktop theme is Light. I hope you're planning to select an always dark mode for the website as well. Having the same options for both the forum and the website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.