Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Back to my wired Bose ear buds. Called Apple support to see if there was anything they had that might work, and they did offer to replace them, saying that they were defective, but I told them that it's my ears that are defective, if anything, and that swapping them wouldn't 'fix' anything, and would make it impossible to return them in they checked the serial number.

With all of the 3D printers and such, it should be simple for someone to make an extender that would fit on the end of the Powerbeats2 ear bud driver tube to extend the ear bud 'gasket' a little farther in.

But anyway...

I'm so not enamored with returning to corded... :(

Anyone else having issues finding wireless headphones that fit in your ears, and/or don't fall out? I'm kinda discouraged...

Crosspjc

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2015
Cool, be sure to report back (even though I have paid for them) lol

:apple:

Just got back from a 3 mile run and they met my two requirements perfectly:.

1. I was listening to a podcast and the sound was clear. No distortion.

2. They did not fall off #

I don't care about fidelity, base etc as I'm too out of breath to be an audiophile!

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Audiophiles hate bluetooth audio as a whole.

But audiophiles hate compressed music files, MP3 players, transistor amps, most headphones, 'normal' speaker wire, and speakers that cost less than my first house. To hear one rip the iPod, you'd think that the world was about to end...

It's very tedious to listen to them bleat on about how crappy the world is.

Although I do hate compressed music. I've bought a few CD's over the years, and compared the quality, and in many, there is a marked difference that I can tell. I cringe when I see old favorites that are 're-released', or 'remastered'. BOO!!!

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Anyone else having issues finding wireless headphones that fit in your ears, and/or don't fall out? I'm kinda discouraged...

There are also wireless earbuds that fit OVER the ear. These seem to stay a lot better. If your earrs are different. Look at the beats wireless ones to see. There are others that work the same way.

powerbeats-2-black-standard-custom-1-O-O.png

hypertc13

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I just bought a pair of JBL Reflect BT. After the 3rd workout the headphones start turning up the volume to the max by itself. Then starts beeping extremely loud. The volume and power controls on the headphones quit working. Exchanged them for a new pair and today the new pair started doing the same thing. I have no idea what the problem is but I would stay away.

SLQ03

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
For those of you who own the powerbeats 2: do they produce an almost air-tight seal with your ear canal that blocks most sound? or do they fit more like the original apple earbuds that allow some sound and air pressure through?

I've found the smaller bluetooth earbuds use smaller drivers (to save power) that require a tighter fit with your ear canal to reproduce deeper bass (compared to standard earbuds like the apple earbuds). In my opinion these are less comfortable, and they block out more outside noise which is bad for running outside. I had a pair of plantronics backbeat go headphones that fit like this and hated them even though they were one of the better rated bluetooth headphones at the time.

I had both the Jaybird Bluebuds X and the Powerbeats2 at one point to see which I preferred. Eventually ended up keeping the Beats because of the reason you gave. I think the Bluebuds required a tighter seal to produce the sound I wanted, which was a bit uncomfortable when using them for extended periods of time. The Beats felt more solid on my ears because of the wraparound and didnt need to be pushed further into my ear canal to get great sound. My suggestion is to try a few out to see what works for you.

JCT1212

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2015
Ontario, Canada
The best low-bughet/decent choice according to reviews i ve found yet.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soundpeats-...s-microphone-QY7/dp/B00LP6CFEC/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

I just bought these to try them out before I bought the JayBirds. They are excellent! Decent quality sound (great for the price), and a lot of different tips to get a good fit! I'm not even going to get the JayBirds anymore, because these fill my need (a pair of running headphones to run with my Apple Watch).

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I just bought a pair of JBL Reflect BT. After the 3rd workout the headphones start turning up the volume to the max by itself. Then starts beeping extremely loud. The volume and power controls on the headphones quit working. Exchanged them for a new pair and today the new pair started doing the same thing. I have no idea what the problem is but I would stay away.

Sweat?

I had similar things happen with a pair of Yurbuds. Volume spiking, volume dropping, one ear volume dropping, not able to control my iPod. Contacted them, and after a surprising amount of back and forth, they sent me a brand new pair in retail box. By that time, I'd moved on to the Polk Ultrafit 3000. Nice fitting ear buds, behind the ear style. The control on that shorted (sweated?) out too. They replaced the cord. Their control is on a separate cord, which isn't a bad idea.

----------

I just bought these to try them out before I bought the JayBirds. They are excellent! Decent quality sound (great for the price), and a lot of different tips to get a good fit! I'm not even going to get the JayBirds anymore, because these fill my need (a pair of running headphones to run with my Apple Watch).

Are those translucent tube things ear inserts? If so, how do they feel/work? Those might have fixed the issue I had with the PowerBeats2.

kjparfekt

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Washington, DC
Back to my wired Bose ear buds. Called Apple support to see if there was anything they had that might work, and they did offer to replace them, saying that they were defective, but I told them that it's my ears that are defective, if anything, and that swapping them wouldn't 'fix' anything, and would make it impossible to return them in they checked the serial number.

With all of the 3D printers and such, it should be simple for someone to make an extender that would fit on the end of the Powerbeats2 ear bud driver tube to extend the ear bud 'gasket' a little farther in.

But anyway...

I'm so not enamored with returning to corded... :(

I have the bluebud x by jaybird and always loved them but I had to adjust them periodically. Not fun to do while running or lifting at the gym. Then I heard of these custom molded tips you hear then set similar to how you mold a mouth guard. For $15 and at the time Amazon Prime returnable I figured I would give them a try. They work flawlessly and the fit I now have couldn't be more perfect. They also make the headphones feel weightless.

The adapter is called Decibullz.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 544

mistertomlinson

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Apparently I'm in the minority because I hate IEMs/earbuds for working out/running. I sweat a lot and I constantly have to readjust them to keep them from sliding out. It drives me crazy. Plus, the isolation isn't a great idea if you're running in public.

I haven't actually tried these myself, but they will be the next pair I buy. They're the Plantronics BackBeat Fit. The reviews are really good.

31-Pxy-ICeL.jpg

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
I have the bluebud x by jaybird and always loved them but I had to adjust them periodically. Not fun to do while running or lifting at the gym. Then I heard of these custom molded tips you hear then set similar to how you mold a mouth guard. For $15 and at the time Amazon Prime returnable I figured I would give them a try. They work flawlessly and the fit I now have couldn't be more perfect. They also make the headphones feel weightless.

The adapter is called Decibullz.

Great find, just ordered some. I was out running today and even though the bluebuds themselves do a good job at staying put, they can fight with sweat a bit and get a bit sore (that's more of a an issue when not training).

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Apparently I'm in the minority because I hate IEMs/earbuds for working out/running. I sweat a lot and I constantly have to readjust them to keep them from sliding out. It drives me crazy. Plus, the isolation isn't a great idea if you're running in public.

I haven't actually tried these myself, but they will be the next pair I buy. They're the Plantronics BackBeat Fit. The reviews are really good.

I had these and tried them during a workout and returned them right after. The buttons are tiny and hard to press. They were also hard to put on and when I sweat they got loose and didnt sound as good.

NauticalDan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
Canada
bluetooth 4.0

I think the Powerbeats2 earbuds are the only one's being discussed in this thread that are bluetooth 4.0.

If you use headphones that aren't bluetooth 4.0 (I think the Jaybird BlueBuds X are 2.1), will it drain the battery of the apple watch faster?

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
I think the Powerbeats2 earbuds are the only one's being discussed in this thread that are bluetooth 4.0.

If you use headphones that aren't bluetooth 4.0 (I think the Jaybird BlueBuds X are 2.1), will it drain the battery of the apple watch faster?

BT 4.0 is better for battery in standby. When there is an active transfer of data, BT 4.0 and BT 2.1 use the same amount of power. As long as you remember to turn off BT 2.1 headphones, you won't see a major difference in battery drain.

AreYouIn?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009

I'm right there with you. I wish apple would make EarPods that are Bluetooth. I have the model you posted in the blue color. They work great for what they are designed for. They lack a little in sound in my opinion. They work fine dor workouts but I wouldn't listen while around my house. I don't like noise canceling headphones so I'm still on the look for some nice casual BT headphones.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I suppose every BT headphone, like Beat's Powerbeats2, there's no way you can control it like you did on your normal iPhone headphone?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I suppose every BT headphone, like Beat's Powerbeats2, there's no way you can control it like you did on your normal iPhone headphone?

Control, as in play, pause, skip, back, answer/end phone calls? I'd assume all bluetooth headphones have them.

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
ok sold. gonna get powerboats wireless. I hate to give them anymore of my money, but I love the sound and the bass output of my studio wireless ones that I were to the gym

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.