Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Those photos are amazing!!!
Dead jealous!

Don't think I'll be venturing too far down the astronomy rabbit hole. 😄
Thanks… I don’t blame you for the Astronomy money pit… telescopes this size are $11,000 these days and up. The eyepieces can cost up to $800 each depending on brand and focal length. Televue makes the best eyepieces, there are others less expensive but nearly just as good.

Reactions: BillGates1969

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Nice! Have you tried without the Skywatcher tracking? I think iPhone might compensate for the movement in SW.

cimonroyb

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2022
Very nice.
Attached is a picture of the moon taken with the 12 Pro Max.

Attachments

• FADCD3FF-5B35-4723-B865-0DBDF60B3F11.jpeg
    FADCD3FF-5B35-4723-B865-0DBDF60B3F11.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 285

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Thank you for coming on here to make this comment. We all wish you continued enjoyment with your camera. In the meantime, we'll celebrate the fact that something so small can take similar photos to something so big.
Precisely it’s amazing that it can do this never saw any such for 13 ProMax. Yes an expensive DSLR and such can of course do the same I have one, great moon and other photos although thats usually not my main focus (nature is -birds, bugs, flowers scenery). People seem to not be able to let someone who has found something amazing with their devices marvel and have fun. There are always critics of smart phones, movie choices, ect and etc.

I see that this result has made the main Macrumors page congratulations @ToddH !!

And there are the critics there saying Samsung could do for several years, or a high end DSLR and like can do and so forth. It seems in life there are always joy killers waiting to pounce they must have a sad life in order to criticize things that excite ours and make life joyful for us ;-). Well ignore them like they are not there LOL if you can

0kwhyn0t

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2021
Nah… LOL, yours is a lightweight compared to the one I used to have…this was a beast in size. It was like a pet elephant moving it around. It had wheelbarrow handles with two wheels to move it. This was my 20” dobsonian. They are made up to 25” these days. Here is a link.

https://www.obsessiontelescopes.com/
A lot of us get pretty serious when astronomy is a hobby, it’s expensive at times. I bought mine used for $5k. Sold it 6 years ago. Now I have a 10” similar to your 8”. The larger the primary mirror, the fainter you can see into space.

View attachment 2079697

View attachment 2079698

Some photos I’ve taken….but not with that telescope.

View attachment 2079706

View attachment 2079708

View attachment 2079705

View attachment 2079707

View attachment 2079709
Crazy how tiny we feel when staring up into a sky like this in person. I had the fortune of visiting Glacier National Park in 2017 during a road trip and we happened to pull in at night, and this city boy was blown away by what the sky had in store. Thank you for sharing!

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Excellent! Let’s see what you get. Remember that ProRAW offers better quality than jpeg when shooting the night sky.
Now I have to find a spot too much light in street with folks porch’s lit. Back yard good for moon at points but too many trees. Have to find a safe spot in country to do this and it’s been kinda cold the last several nights into upper 30’s here in east central Illinois. I think I have a spot but will have to drive there so more preparation LOL

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Now I have to find a spot too much light in street with folks porch’s lit. Back yard good for moon at points but too many trees. Have to find a safe spot in country to do this and it’s been kinda cold the last several nights into upper 30’s here in east central Illinois. I think I have a spot but will have to drive there so more preparation LOL
Yeah, darker skies make a huge difference in the quality of the photos of the Milky Way etc. to help you out, take a look at this website and see if there are any good dark spots near where you live. This is a light pollution map, showing the areas where light pollution is good and bad.

Reactions: rjjacobson

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Reactions: PhilBoogie

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Crazy how tiny we feel when staring up into a sky like this in person. I had the fortune of visiting Glacier National Park in 2017 during a road trip and we happened to pull in at night, and this city boy was blown away by what the sky had in store. Thank you for sharing!
That’s awesome. Yes, we are just tiny compared to the universe which is infinite. Some of these national parks have some really good dark skies. I live in Texas, so going down to Big Bend national Park is very dark but it’s nearly an 11 Hour drive for me from one side of Texas to the other.

Reactions: 0kwhyn0t

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Yeah, darker skies make a huge difference in the quality of the photos of the Milky Way etc. to help you out, take a look at this website and see if there are any good dark spots near where you live. This is a light pollution map, showing the areas where light pollution is good and bad.

Thanks

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014

Well the bad news is to even get to level 3 at best its 20 or more minutes not a convenient drive LOL. First photo is where we are, then zoomed out you can see the level 3 stuff 20 plus miles SE. then I zoomed out to see the dark 1 or 0 areas in US and circled our area I am not out west like some of you are with awesome skies like I saw on field work, dinosaur digs ect there.

8966490C-41B3-42FA-944B-BD2447780E05.png
647BBF4E-8459-4A17-9909-040D81A20586.jpeg
6ACB65F6-C05C-489A-9493-3EFF46B55126.jpeg

Reactions: jpdunn13

fazzk

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
Those are great. It looks like your editing was very good. If you did, edit them at all, I can see some blue colored nebulosity around the Pleiades cluster, which is impressive to see. Thanks for posting these, they look really good.
Thank you! I actually didn't edit any of these at all! And yes that bluish smudge was what I thought was the Pleiades cluster actually when I compared it to the Night Sky app, I was amazed I could see that one.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Well the bad news is to even get to level 3 at best its 20 or more minutes not a convenient drive LOL. First photo is where we are, then zoomed out you can see the level 3 stuff 20 plus miles SE. then I zoomed out to see the dark 1 or 0 areas in US and circled our area I am not out west like some of you are with awesome skies like I saw on field work, dinosaur digs ect there.

View attachment 2082023 View attachment 2082021 View attachment 2082022
well it’s too bad that the eastern half of the US is heavily light polluted and the western half is not. There is also a cool website that is very accurate with predicting clear skies, have a look. Just search for your city and look to see if the skies are clear, transparent, or cloudy etc. I hope you find a location that you can use…

Reactions: rjjacobson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.