Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David Hassholehoff

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2020
The beach
Grabbed one of the MateViews (non-wireless) from AliExpress. Works perfectly with both my 14" M1 Pro MBP (through OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock) and my Windows 11 PC (with 1080 Ti) both through a DisplayPort KVM from Amazon. Native res coming through the Mini DP port flawlessly! Really enjoying the aspect ratio and the image quality.
I’m curious about this, is it a model without a Wi-Fi module entirely? I tried searching for MateView on AliExpress and only got two models and they’re almost twice what I would pay here in Sweden.

Right now I’m thinking the best choice still is opening it up and removing/destroying the mic and Wi-Fi modules. (Which of course makes waiting for other models from other manufacturers the bester choice.)

Reactions: lepidotós

David Hassholehoff

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2020
The beach
You can replace the CCFL tubes with LED strips, if it's a CCFL-lit panel. I'm pretty sure it is. Those should use less energy, last longer, and be brighter than the CCFLs were.​
That sounds very interesting, considering brightness is the only problem with the best of the two, and the other is usable as long as it is not colour critical. Do you have any tips about how this is done and what strip one would need?

Yep. I don't trust microphones in anything.
I can tolerate them under some circumstances, from some manufacturers, but not from HUAWEI. The only reason I have ever used their products is that they pretty much had a monopoly on 4G modems over the previous decade and I just got fiver optic Internet this year at this location.

Still, this monitor is gorgeous, and I assume the Wi-Fi and mic modules aren’t going to spy on me after an unhealthy prolonged meeting with Mr. soldering iron.

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
That sounds very interesting, considering brightness is the only problem with the best of the two, and the other is usable as long as it is not colour critical. Do you have any tips about how this is done and what strip one would need?
This is a thread on 68kMLA of someone LED modding their iBook G3, but the basic ideas should come through. You could probably ask around, especially in the Early Intel and PowerPC Macs subforums, I'm sure you'll get much more helpful answers.​
Still, this monitor is gorgeous, and I assume the Wi-Fi and mic modules aren’t going to spy on me after an unhealthy prolonged meeting with Mr. soldering iron.
That's one thing I love about the Framework laptop, they totally support you taking out the camera and microphone module and smashing it with a sledgehammer selling it to someone who wants it. I'll really need to get one when I can afford it...​

Reactions: kvic and Amethyst1

kvic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
According to Korean media, BOE is one of the panel suppliers to iPhone 14!! Sounds like the iPhone 13 fiasco was way less dramatic than the rumour claimed.

So on BOE's roadmap, they'll release a 5K@60Hz panel in early 2023. Now I'm more inclined to believe the main customer will likely be Apple. I hope 3rd-party vendors will be able to buy the same panel. The last thing will be lacking from a major producer like BOE is the abundance of supplies.

Reactions: lepidotós

nlited

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2021
Moscow
Hi all!
Have anyone tried to play with BetterDummy (now renamed to BetterDisplay) to increase sharpness/crispness on MateView when using with apple silicon macs?
As I've already written in this thread I actually have zero complaints about sharpness, the picture looks sharp and nice when I set 3008x2005 scaled hidpi.
As for BetterDisplay, I personally didn't notice any improvements in the matter of sharpness, the only profit of using it is just a few more hidpi options which were not available out of the box and which I don't really need.

Rembihnutur

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2022
My Mateview died today :(

I've had it since its release in Germany in August 2021. Suddenly the picture went out while I was using it. I found out that the monitor itself still works, but no picture is displayed. If I connect a device via HDMI, DisplayPort or USB-C, I have a picture for a second. Then black again. If I turn it off with the button on the side and right back on again, I see an image again for a second too. This allowed me to navigate to the reset in the settings with a lot of effort, but that didn't help.
I rebooted it a few times and unplugged it for a while. Nothing helped.

Has anyone ever had this? I guess I'll have to contact support and hope they fix or replace it.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: robotica

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Hi all!
Have anyone tried to play with BetterDummy (now renamed to BetterDisplay) to increase sharpness/crispness on MateView when using with apple silicon macs?
As I've already written in this thread I actually have zero complaints about sharpness, the picture looks sharp and nice when I set 3008x2005 scaled hidpi.
As for BetterDisplay, I personally didn't notice any improvements in the matter of sharpness, the only profit of using it is just a few more hidpi options which were not available out of the box and which I don't really need.
I have tried it and I'm using it at 1707px it's the best case for me.

grandoflex

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Other than Rembihnutur's experience above (#657, did you get it sorted btw?), can anyone else who has owned a Mateview for more than, say, 6 months, comment on their experience of the monitor? Are they proving reliable? (I'm still thinking of getting one if there are any deals at the end of the month, but am still a bit unsure due to the unresponsive Touch Bar on the one I briefly owned...)

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
One of my friends wants to get this monitor and connect it to a Thunderbolt dock via USB-C.

This Huawei monitor has power delivery over the USB-C plug and the Thunderbolt dock also delivers power in the USB-C plug where the monitor will be connected. Will it blow up if I connect the USB to the dock or will the monitor and dock manage the power delivery?

The Thunderbolt dock will be connected to a MBA.

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
Other than Rembihnutur's experience above (#657, did you get it sorted btw?), can anyone else who has owned a Mateview for more than, say, 6 months, comment on their experience of the monitor? Are they proving reliable? (I'm still thinking of getting one if there are any deals at the end of the month, but am still a bit unsure due to the unresponsive Touch Bar on the one I briefly owned...)
I have had no issues with my mate view monitor, the touch bar works perfectly, even did an update the other day. great value these are, its been flawless fir me with any connection.

Reactions: grandoflex

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
This Huawei monitor has power delivery over the USB-C plug and the Thunderbolt dock also delivers power in the USB-C plug where the monitor will be connected. Will it blow up if I connect the USB to the dock or will the monitor and dock manage the power delivery?
Nothing dangerous is supposed to happen. Thunderbolt and USB-C do quite a bit of negotiation with regards to power delivery.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Other than Rembihnutur's experience above (#657, did you get it sorted btw?), can anyone else who has owned a Mateview for more than, say, 6 months, comment on their experience of the monitor? Are they proving reliable? (I'm still thinking of getting one if there are any deals at the end of the month)
I bought one in April and a second one a month or so later for use on my Mac Studio.
No serious problems so far after months of daily use & I'm very pleased overall.

The 3:2 4k+ resolution works well for me at 2:1 ("looks like
1920 x 1280) mode - that bit of extra vertical space makes up for the larger menu/dock/toolbar - so I don't worry about fractional scaling (although fractionally scaled 2560x1770 is perfectly good, too if you really want the real estate).

I'd point out that I'm using it on a Mac Studio, so I can have both displays connected via USB-C and running at 3840 x 2560 @ 60Hz - that's just outside the range of the Mac's HDMI port so if you connect the Mateview via HDMI it drops to 50Hz refresh. Personally, I only noticed that when I looked at the settings, but it's something to be aware of if you have a Mac Mini and want dual displays or want to use HDMI to keep your TB3 ports clear.

(Personally, I wouldn't choose to run dual 4k, let alone >4k, displays off a regular M1 anyway).

A few niggles:

The occasional glitch waking from sleep - sometimes you have to sleep and wake again or manually re-select the input on the display. Unfortunately, that seems to be common with Macs and 3rd party displays (esp multiple setups). It hasn't been a deal breaker, though.

More annoying is that it takes the Mateviews a good 30 seconds to "start up" after the mains has been disconnected, and if I power up the Studio before the Mateviews' colourful "screen saver" appears, I have to manually use the touch bar to select "USB-C" on each display). Again - not a biggie, 10 seconds extra hassle when you start the system up, or you could just leave the displays on standby (with current energy prices I'm counting the kWh a bit, though...)

Built in speakers - don't bother, the speaker in the Mac Mini/Studio is at least as good.

There are a couple of things - like setting up WiFi - that you need to plug in a USB mouse/keyboard for. That said, the WiFi features are only useful for Windows and Android users & updating the firmware (and if that ain't broke don't fix it) so you might not need to do that.

Overall, although there are plenty of ways this display isn't perfect (no portrait-mode swivel, non-removable stand, external power brick, odd port locations) it's still excellent value for a screen this size with better-than-4k pixel count.

but am still a bit unsure due to the unresponsive Touch Bar on the one I briefly owned...)

NB: when I got mine I didn't initially realise that there was a transparent plastic protective tape going all the way around the outside edge of the bezel, covering the touch bar. The touch bar worked a lot better when I removed that :) - I'm not sure it's my favourite interface - but it does the job.

Reactions: netdudeuk

dolf

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
Longtime listener, first time caller bumping this thread to ask:

If I get a HDMI to mini-DP cable that can handle the resolution, should it work at 60hZ instead of 50?

I’m thinking about buying a Mac mini and a Mateview, and trying to get the best resolution without using USB-C (both to save using a port on the Mac and to avoid having it stick out the side of the monitor).

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
If I get a HDMI to mini-DP cable that can handle the resolution, should it work at 60hZ instead of 50?
Do you mean going from DisplayPort on the Mac mini to HDMI on the MateView? The MateView has a HDMI 2.0 port and is limited to 600 MHz pixel clock (confirmed by its HDMI EDID) so you won't be able to get 60 Hz. The highest refresh rate you can get at ≈600 MHz pixel clock is 58 Hz using a custom CVT-RB v2 timing. The issue with custom timings is they cannot (yet) be created on Apple Silicon Macs.

If you mean going from HDMI on the Mac to DisplayPort on the MateView: the Mac mini's HDMI port is also 2.0 and limited to 600 MHz pixel clock, i.e. the same constraints apply.

Reactions: dolf

dolf

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
Thank you for the super quick response (and for potentially saving me from buying a very expensive cable only to be disappointed). You have been a huge help to many people in this thread.

I meant the latter (Mac HDMI into MateView mini DP), and it’s a shame that it won’t work. I just checked the Mac Studio and it’s the same situation, so it’s not an excuse to upgrade. Maybe it’s another reason to wait for the M2. But, being in Europe, I fear that the spec bump will be accompanied by both a general price bump AND a currency conversion price bump. And, knowing Apple, they probably won‘t upgrade the HDMI port, either…

Am I correct in assuming that if I got a USB-C to mini DP cable, it could do full resolution at 60hz? I don’t 100% trust Huawei. I’d like to keep the connection to the monitor as low-tech as possible so I don’t have to wear my tinfoil hat when using my new computer. :)

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
Thank you for the super quick response (and for potentially saving me from buying a very expensive cable only to be disappointed). You have been a huge help to many people in this thread.

I meant the latter (Mac HDMI into MateView mini DP), and it’s a shame that it won’t work. I just checked the Mac Studio and it’s the same situation, so it’s not an excuse to upgrade. Maybe it’s another reason to wait for the M2. But, being in Europe, I fear that the spec bump will be accompanied by both a general price bump AND a currency conversion price bump. And, knowing Apple, they probably won‘t upgrade the HDMI port, either…

Am I correct in assuming that if I got a USB-C to mini DP cable, it could do full resolution at 60hz? I don’t 100% trust Huawei. I’d like to keep the connection to the monitor as low-tech as possible so I don’t have to wear my tinfoil hat when using my new computer. :)

The USB-C to mini DP will work.
But why not use USB-C to to USB-C, the MateView supports it? With USB-C it works over Display Port Alternate mode and it is a true genuine DP connection over a USB-C cable. By using a USB-C to USB-C cable, you will also get USB 2.0 connectivity on the monitor, you can plug in USB mouse receiver, printer or other lower speed data USB devices , it will free up some ports on your Mac. By going the mini DP route only, you will not get the USB functionality of the ports on the monitor. You can buy 90 degree USB-C ports so it doesn't stick out from the side, you can still make it look OK with USB-C.

Last edited:

dolf

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
Thanks!

The only real reason not to use USB-C is that having the port on the side really bugs me. The angled cable is a good idea, and if I can just learn to deal with it having the monitor ports as a USB hub could be helpful. I’ll have both cables in the box, so I could simply try both HDMI and USB-C and see if I can really notice a difference between 50hz and 60hz.

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
I hear you about the position of the USB ports, it would have been so much cleaner to have them on the back.
In "office mode" you won't notice a difference with 50 Hz. Where you will notice a difference is when watching YouTube videos shot at 60 fps. You might see artefacting when downsapling to 50 Hz. Try and see what bugs you less: the cable on the side or the possible artefacts from 50 Hz. Either way it will work, the choice comes down to what bugs you less.

David Hassholehoff

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2020
The beach
Has anyone of you who has this thing connected to their Wi-Fi done any traffic analysis on it?

It seems like a great monitor, but there is no way I'm putting a HUAWEI device on my network if I can avoid it.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
I just bought it a week ago (should have waited for Black Friday really, now it's 15% off) and here are my findings:

- it's large, I love the aspect ratio
- the panel is very poor; not as bright nor as colorful as the specs would suggest; HDR does almost nothing; I don't have uniformity problems but the black level is horrible; in HDR mode most settings are disabled
- switches quickly to the input, which is good
- it has this weird touch bar for settings and inputs, it's techy but slow and frustrating to use
- it does have height adjustment and it can swivel, no problem getting a good position
- I only used miniDP, no issues
- it looks very modern

Overall, good inputs and modern looks but a very poor panel. Not recommended.

I run now a 3 display setup, with the star being my 5k Dell, which is brighter, much sharper and with much better black level and contrast compared to this Huawei. This is what I wanted to get again but alas not made anymore!

I haven't tested the WiFi features, it's a Huawei.

Reactions: David Hassholehoff

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
I just bought it a week ago (should have waited for Black Friday really, now it's 15% off) and here are my findings:

- it's large, I love the aspect ratio
- the panel is very poor; not as bright nor as colorful as the specs would suggest; HDR does almost nothing; I don't have uniformity problems but the black level is horrible; in HDR mode most settings are disabled
- switches quickly to the input, which is good
- it has this weird touch bar for settings and inputs, it's techy but slow and frustrating to use
- it does have height adjustment and it can swivel, no problem getting a good position
- I only used miniDP, no issues
- it looks very modern

Overall, good inputs and modern looks but a very poor panel. Not recommended.

I run now a 3 display setup, with the star being my 5k Dell, which is brighter, much sharper and with much better black level and contrast compared to this Huawei. This is what I wanted to get again but alas not made anymore!

I haven't tested the WiFi features, it's a Huawei.

obviously some opinions are subjective but surely brightness can be measured and returned if necessary? 500 nits is a bright panel.

solq

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
obviously some opinions are subjective but surely brightness can be measured and returned if necessary? 500 nits is a bright panel.
Subjectively to my eyes it is clearly not as bright as my 27" Dell which is rated 350 (I was surprised too, given the specs and HDR). I have no way of measuring it. Anyway what hurts it more is the poor black level, it reduces the contrast.

I am not in the US and I have very limited rights of return. Since I use it for programming, I am not actually as sensitive to panel quality but size, aspect ratio (which are good) and sharpness (which is just about adequate).

Last edited:

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Subjectivity to my eyes it is clearly not as bright as my 27" Dell which is rated 350 (I was surprised too, given the specs and HDR). I have no way of measuring it. Anyway what hurts it more is the poor black level, it reduces the contrast.

I am not in the US and I have very limited rights of return. Since I use it for programming, I am not actually as sensitive to panel quality but size, aspect ratio (which are good) and sharpness (which is just about adequate).

When the Mateview first came out there were plenty of reviews on chinese websites in which they stuck a calibrator on the panel and got 500 nits and around 1000:1 contrast ratio which is decent (bear in mind that the Apple Studio display also has similar contrast ratio).

My advice would be to get a 2nd hand ColorMunki Display (but not the Colormunki Smile model) from Ebay for about 50 euros (https://www.xrite.com/service-support/product-support/calibration-solutions/colormunki-display), and measure your panel. If it is below spec then return it.

For the brightness I believe anywhere from 450-550 nits would not count as defective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.