Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raidersmojo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2005
Burton michigan
That is ignoring reality (italicized), you can't simply cut and hand over when STATES HAVE NO MONEY TO ENACT NEW PROGRAMS, never mind the sheer logistics of handing something so complex over to where it will only get more complex trying to work out congruency between 50 states.

Also, Chile's shock therapy to become a free market state is beyond atrocious. Mass disappearances, intimidation, military coups (I wonder who played a hand in that?), etc. That's what it takes to get a "free market"? Screw that, lets not torture and kill people so that money can be made.

Long story short, there is a lot more to economics than simply looking at the economics. It takes major forces to transform a culture, capitalisms force of choice happens to be force itself.

So, we should keep all these programs at the federal level where they don't have any money either? And so complex? Individual states would be able to tailor their programs to the needs of their state. Not a one size fits all policy enacted by the federal government.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
So, we should keep all these programs at the federal level where they don't have any money either? And so complex? Individual states would be able to tailor their programs to the needs of their state. Not a one size fits all policy enacted by the federal government.

I like programs that allow for local decision making within certain perameters set by the federal government. Someone has to be be in charge to deal with interstate issues.

There are very few major programs today that don't have language that allows for exactly this however.

What happened to chile? ;)

Raidersmojo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2005
Burton michigan
I like programs that allow for local decision making within certain perameters set by the federal government. Someone has to be be in charge to deal with interstate issues.

There are very few major programs today that don't have language that allows for exactly this however.

What happened to chile? ;)

Yeah, someone is in charge. its called the federal court system. It was designed to handle problems between the states.

Nothing happened to it. You said "give me an example of a country using a free market" and I did.

You are arguing how they got there, which is not the issue. Hence, like others, you would be arguing straw man.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Nothing happened to it. You said "give me an example of a country using a free market" and I did.

You are arguing how they got there, which is not the issue. Hence, like others, you would be arguing straw man.

Wow, so the free market system is fine even if it takes brutal conditions to enforce the shift to it?

How is that a straw man in a conversation involving the future leadership of the USA, and therefore a large portions of where the world is headed? Is this a case of "well the numbers look ok right now, so screw the context"?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Wow, so the free market system is fine even if it takes brutal conditions to enforce the shift to it?

How is that a straw man in a conversation involving the future leadership of the USA, and therefore a large portions of where the world is headed? Is this a case of "well the numbers look ok right now, so screw the context"?

Or- the end justifies the mean.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Not even close!

Actually, yes. 10 seconds on google and 5 minutes of watching two (unedited) videos and you might actually inform yourself, but we wouldn't want informed voters... so keep watching whatever agenda-motivated news programs you watch.

Raidersmojo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2005
Burton michigan

When did I say that? I simply answered your question of "Name one country that has a free market?" If you wanted other criteria in my answer you should have been more specific.

How is it straw man? Because you keep arguing things I did not even say,that is a straw man argument, such as "the free market is fine through brutal conditions" I never said that, but you're arguing it. Hence, straw man.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
When did I say that? I simply answered your question of "Name one country that has a free market?" If you wanted other criteria in your answer you should have been more specific.

How is it straw man? Because you keep arguing things I did not even say,that is a straw man argument, such as "the free market is fine through brutal conditions" I never said that, but you're arguing it. Hence, straw man.

I thought we were aiming towards a broader discussion on free markets, but apparently not. So I'm left to wonder what the point is of such a narrowly defined discussion?

Raidersmojo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2005
Burton michigan
I thought we were aiming towards a broader discussion on free markets, but apparently not. So I'm left to wonder what the point is of such a narrowly defined discussion?

We were actually talking about the income tax, not economic theories. It was your arguing of straw man that got us into a narrowly defined discussion.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Umm...most of those places are Arab countries. You want to like them, be my guest. No thanks. The rest are tiny little places- hardly comparable to a country the size of the US.

Not only that, but the very discussion regarding what kind of tax structure exist is a crucial part of understanding the overall makeup of a country. Thats even if they don't have income taxes, which is a piece of their tax structure.

What happened in our development that made us view things like economics, culture, education, healthcare, and as Lee said GEOGRAPHY (including geopolitics) as if they are all their own topics with no interactions between them? Have we as a whole lost our ability to look at the bigger picture? :confused:

Raidersmojo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2005
Burton michigan
Umm...most of those places are Arab countries. You want to like them, be my guest. No thanks. The rest are tiny little places- hardly comparable to a country the size of the US.

Once again, you are arguing straw man. I never said that we should be like them, at all.

And you wouldn't want the U.S. to be like Qatar (GDP wise), who is the richest per capita? I guess you like being 6th behind great countries like Brunei and Norway, right?

You may continue trolling now.

Raidersmojo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2005
Burton michigan
Yes, tax structures (whether they have income tax or not) are vital in an economic model.

Why are you referring to taxes with just income tax? :confused:

Because it is the scope that YOU have narrowly defined. The topic we started on was income tax, then you expanded it to economic theories, and now that has turned from income taxes to "taxes structures" in general.

What you're doing is anything possible to justify your point, which is weird, considering half the points you are arguing you have came up with yourself. What I should do is leave you to debate yourself, because thats pretty much what you're doing by continuously putting words into my mouth and/or constantly changing the parameters of the discussion in order to fit your argument.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Once again, you are arguing straw man. I never said that we should be like them, at all.

And you wouldn't want the U.S. to be like Qatar (GDP wise), who is the richest per capita? I guess you like being 6th behind great countries like Brunei and Norway, right?

Hardly trolling. Qatar is not a place I wish to emulate. However, Norway is much better. Are you now arguing that emulating Norway is a better way to go? Because I can agree with that.

Mitt Romney’s tax plan raises taxes on most Americans in order to cut them for the very rich.

"Raises taxes on the average American family making under $200,000 a year by $2,000 while cutting taxes for the average American household making $3 million or more by close to $250,000."

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/UploadedPDF/1001628-Base-Broadening-Tax-Reform.pdf

No surprise there.

Because it is the scope that YOU have narrowly defined. The topic we started on was income tax, then you expanded it to economic theories, and now that has turned from income taxes to "taxes structures" in general.

What you're doing is anything possible to justify your point, which is weird, considering half the points you are arguing you have came up with yourself. What I should do is leave you to debate yourself, because thats pretty much what you're doing by continuously putting words into my mouth and/or constantly changing the parameters of the discussion in order to fit your argument.

At this point, no one even knows what you're arguing anyway. I thought it was income taxes and economics, now it's...what exactly?

Last edited:

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011

Huh? I thought you were a right-wing conservative?

Now you're saying Norway is a great country? :confused:

So technically you must want Obama to win since he wants the USA to be like Norway and you must be hating Romney because he wants the contrary? :confused:

And of course any sane non-Muslim don't want their nation to be like Qatar, they still follow Islamic laws and advocate stoning...

Last edited:

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Mitt's supporters blame Obama for our economic woes
Obama supporters blame Bush Jr for everything.
Bush supporters blame Clinton
Clinton supporters blame Bush Sr
Bush Sr supporters blame......

It never ends.

The blame game is merely politics. But when you start getting into policies and which ones work and which ones don't, you have to consider where they come from. Our economy is like an engine. You have to have taxation in order to keep the engine lubricated, otherwise all the money flows into the coffers of those who own the businesses. You end up with massive income inequality, and the economy stalls. It happened leading up to the great depression. It happened leading up to the great recession. It happened leading up to the recession of the 80s. In the 30s, we taxed, borrowed and spent until the economy took off on its own. The money circulated for decades. WWII injected massive amounts of money from taxation and borrowing into the economy. We had a boom that lasted decades. In the 80s, Reagan promised lower taxes and lower spending would spur growth. He lowered taxes, then borrowed massive amounts of money to increase spending. He created what has been a massive bubble of economic growth fueled almost entirely by borrowing. There is a reason the GDP and Debt have been so closely related since Reagan.

Democrats, liberals, whatever you want to call us, don't hate business, nor do we think government is perfect and should do everything for everyone. That's just silly.

We have historically low taxes, we have had far too much spending, and our infrastructure is falling apart. In the past, when in economic decline, increased revenue, higher governmental spending and even additional borrowing were necessary to reverse the decline. All Democrats have tried to do in the last 4 years is implement reasonable, middle of the road policies that independent analysis confirms would assist in job creation, raising revenue, reducnig costs, etc...

I really don't know how Republicans argue with ideas that they came up with.

So the implication is Obama will never be responsible for anything because he inherited all our woes? :rolleyes: Pull up your big boy pants, Obama (and Obama supporters).
Ok Mr. Grown Up, when you have a giant puddle on the floor, what do you do? If you spend four hours mopping, and the puddle is still there, do you now think you must be responsible for the mess? Or, when you first see the puddle, do you try to find out what caused the puddle so that if there is a leak, you can fix it.

President Obama deserves criticism for whether he mopped well, but he can't be blamed for the leak, nor can he be blamed for the leak if republicans refuse to allow him to do anything to plug the hole.

If you want to blame President Obama, that's fine. Just do me a favor, and tell me which policy he passed that has failed. I can point you to dozens upon dozens of policies he has proposed, but the Republicans have blocked.

I see everyone wants to talk about roads, but no one wants to talk about the canals the government built (at the request of its citizens) that ended up losing money and left tax payers holding the bag
You don't understand why, do you? Before the canals were built, commerce traveled by boat to ports or into rivers as far as they could, then all the goods had to be transported by carriage. The canals allowed for large amounts of goods to travel inland and allowed areas near the canals to grow. Unfortunately, actually, fortunately technology improved and railroads were invented and rapidly grew. Suddenly, goods could be shipped long distances inland without the need of navigible waterways.

I'm surprised you don't know all that considering your states entire layout was dictated by waterways. Chicago is what it is because of waterways, and then railroads. All of that is just my way of pointing out that you apparently don't know as much as you think.

Cut the income tax to zero. The wall street journal said this would have a huge impact on the job market aka the fastest growth you would see ever in an economy. People and businesses would flock to this country in a heart beat:
I have heard many claim this, but it's just not true. In fact, I believe that if you raised taxes dramatically for 20-30 years you would have more growth by far. But hey, what do I know. :cool:

You can cut regulations that are holding up businesses. Mainly the EPA.
EPA regulations actually result in more jobs, not fewer. (When you make a claim, it's good form to provide a link. So, here.

- Continued George W. Bush policies: Extended the patriot act, kept gitmo open, extended the bush tax cuts, provide bailouts for the rich and continues to expand the wars in the middle east (Libya, Syria). Barack Obama = Bush's Third term.
Oh, you don't come here often, but we care. When Obama tried to close Gitmo, most of the liberals around here were pissed at the democrats in congress who joined the republicans that blocked it. We also generally didn't support the wars in the middle east, but recognize that Afghanistan was the only war we should have been in, it was ignored by Bush, and Obama finally did what we were there to do. Libya, Syria... debatable.

- Cover up: Fast and Furious scandal that cost American lives on the border. Hides documents to protect Eric Holder and his administration.
Seriously, have you ever been suckered. Tell you what, go do some reading about the fast and furious operation, and then look at what documents the Republicans were trying to get. Come back, we'll talk. It should be fun.

- Under Obama: Gas prices have risen over 100% from 1.87 to 3.96 from when Bush was in office (war for oil).
When Bush took office, Gas was $1.479 (using the midwest all grades conventional retail gasoline prices - I don't have a link, the data is on my wall next to me. You can find it at the US Energy Information Administration). Gas peaked under GWB at $4.005.

Those are not even the reasons why the income tax was brought into being in the first place in 1913. The income tax was used as a means of paying for WW1 and was only supposed to be temporary. Not programs, roads, or anything else.

Does anyone not pay attention in history class?

History class? Remember those railroads? :rolleyes:

545056000000244001.png

Keep in mind that the Republicans and Democrats in Congress actually compromised in the 80s. Reagan didn't face obstructionist Democrats, nor was he facing a recession created by fraud, abuse and massive Wall St. malfeasance.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Jobs is spinning in his grave over Obama's "You didn't build that!" nonsense.

Jobs is spinning in his grave over Obama's Romney's "You didn't build that!" nonsense.

There...fixed that for you. Because it is nonsense from Romney. Everyone knows the words were taken out of context and that Romney has said similar things himself.

- Under Obama: Gas prices have risen over 100% from 1.87 to 3.96 from when Bush was in office (war for oil)

You DO realize that oil prices are set on the world market and being that Obama is just President of the United States (and not President of the whole freeking world) that he has no power or jurisdiction over gas prices which are influenced by wars, oil traders, refinery downtimes, etc., RIGHT??? Even drilling in sensitive areas (that would take far longer then his Presidential term to even come online) would not change the gas prices. So not sure what you think he could do.

fox10078

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
By the Romney supporters standard FDR was an awful president because it took him ten years and a war to bring unemployment down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.