Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strikieg

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2010
The command line nor any other tweak has worked for me so far. And it doesn't matter which mouse I use, I end up having the same problem all the time. It works fine on Windows 7 x64 (via bootcamp) but not on SL.

Mice :D :

Razer Abyssus
Razer DeathAdder
Microsoft 3.0
Logitech MX300

(All chorded)

Aren't any solutions from apple themselves after so long and so many complaints? :confused:

cameramike

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
Costa Rica
same problem

Problem started for me when I upgraded to OS X 10.6 x
wired and wireless same - didn't read the thread until now. Very frustrating.
I have logitech M305. Have had it long time. Switch to old wired logitech trackball - same problem. Tried everything, looking for my original wired apple mouse next but think is OS problem. And to think I switch to MAC from windows so I wouldn't have these problems.

It really slows me down - select a file and it opens instead of just being selected. Even iPhoto - hard to select multiple images with command key - sometimes it will open the image and kill the multiple selections. SUCKS

Hope Apple recognizes problem soon.
I did not have problem before upgrading.
I had to do a clean install cause disk was not format for OS X
Used SuperDuper to bring everything else back.

applemagic123

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
here's a fix

This same thing happens on my regular leopard 10.5.8 machines, on both my iMac and MacBook. I use a logitech mouse for my iMac and I use the trackpad on the macbook. Here is what I do: When you SINGLE click, hold the mouse button down for a second longer.

It happens when I double click on something and then single click on the same exact spot that I double clicked on. The single click acts as a double click and opens the file even though I only clicked ONCE. When you single click, just hold the mouse button down for a second longer and it won't do that anymore. It's VERY annoying and is a huge flaw in the mac OS.

petenkasey

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
Kentucky
Double Click Issue

Hello,
I am new to this forum but I am having the same issue and I am using an Apple mouse (wired) with Snow Leopard. This is a new Mac G5 Intel Quad Core so it came with the software already loaded. Has anyone figured this out? It is really annoying. Thanks!

ellarr

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
Doesn't happen using Microsoft RDP

Another piece to the puzzle.

Macbook Pro (new in June 2011)
OSX 10.6.7 (just applied all available patches)
Logitech Corded Trackman Wheel (plugged directly into laptop - tried all ports)

Having the same issue. One thing I noticed that doesn't seem to be in this thread is that I frequently use Microsoft's RDP application for work. It never seems to happen inside of RDP. I have experienced it in most OSX applications.

I've tried the ctrl-alt-shift reboot with no wires plugged in as well as the NSDragAndDropTextDelay setting suggested with no luck.

This logitech trackball seems to work fine on my pre-unibody macbook pro with SL 10.6.7.

It does not happen when I'm using the built-in trackpad. This is regardless of whether I use the tap to click or the switch in the lower left corner of the trackpad.

I purchased a Razer Epic MMO and it seems to have the same problem. However, I've only noticed it in Finder with the Razer. I don't see the issue in City of Heroes (where I am most frustrated with the Logitech)

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
After years of frustration, I came to the conclusion that this problem is more related to Logitech mice. A couple of weeks ago I bought a $20 Microsoft mouse from Office Depot and the problem disappeared. The only problem was that it clicked way too loud for my taste. So I ordered the Razer Deathadder. Best mouse so far. Incredibly responsive and NO DOUBLE CLICK! Now, I really want the Razer Mamba but due to the lack of proper Mac drivers, I might get it for my PC gaming rig that I'm building.

5piN

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
Damn i have the same problem and its super annoying, i even rma'd my Performance MX having used it in Windows 7 for a year without issue...

Got the new one.... and same problem again :eek:... even tried disabling the bluetooth thinking there might be some interference to no avail.

Has anybody got Lion installed? ..... hoping that may be the fix....

lorentje

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2007
not the mouse, it's the trackpad

for me anyway -it was the speed of the trackpad was set too slow and the mouse was set too high. make sure they are consistent and then poof - you are back to working without beating your head against the wall.

it took me weeks to figure this out.

pxlpanic

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
USB ovedrive

Hi guys,

There have been a ton of problems with Logitech Wireless peripherals not working correctly on different versions of mac OS X (and a ton of threads on the logitech and macrumors boards concerning these issues).

I have a Logitech Performance MX Mouse, which used to work fine on a windows 7 desktop. My employer finally upgraded my grumpy old windows desktop to a macbook pro running lion a few weeks back, and suddenly the performance mouse was impossible to use. Main issues were single / double click confusion and dragging / dropping not working in any descent way. Same issues that a lot of people on, here seem to be having.

I tried all of the solutions and workarounds suggested in these threads (restarting SMC, swapping batteries, installing different versions of the Logitech Control Center), nothing worked for more than a few hours. Very frustrating. What finally solved it for me was installing USB Overdrive (http://www.usboverdrive.com), a small shareware program that manages wireless peripherals. This small piece of software written by one guy seems to do what logitech has been incapable (or unwilling) to do for a long time now: it solves any compatibility issues i had with the Performance MX.

It works like a charm now, you can even configure the extra buttons.

Hope this helps a few people out. Oh, and you can try the free version first to see if it solves your issues. 17 dollars for the full version, which gets rid of a few annoying messages.

cheers

hireziii

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2013
Corn and Beans
THis til exists in Mountain Lion 10.8.4

I am using an Intuos 4, and I still have this problem after coming from 10.7. As a Pro Photographer it has been a real problem when using selection tools with Photoshop CS6, multiple email deletes (posted in discussions) and moving various open widows that end up going to the doc, and anything else that the difference between a single click and a double click make a major difference. I have maxed out the double click speed, and that makes no difference. So I hope that "Mericks" fixes this!

It is not a mouse issue I am certain, a corrupted file in the OS is what I suspect.
<edit for poor word choice>

Saltland

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
found a solution!

Hey All...

I found your thread whilst investigating this mysterious and rather insane-making issue of the multiple-clicking while only actually pushing down once. I did everything posted earlier on this thread... then did some more investigating online. I found this extremely easy fix - file the plastic surface of the worn out clicker. I figured this had to work because when I went into my preferences and switched my left clicker to my right - there was no more problem.

Here is the link I found... http://www.instructables.com/id/how-to-repair-a-worn-out-clicker-on-an-optical-mou/

I couldn't get the metal file into position on my Dell mouse, so I used a razor blade to even the surface by gently grating the top surface... and it worked!

Hope this helps - it's been a few years since the original posts, but I had to share my findings ;)

sguerlain

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2013
Mouse/trackpad and delete key randomly double-click

this happens to me on BOTh of my mac laptops, it drives me insane. It happens with the mouse, with the trackpad, and with the delete key. I cannot select text, and it randomly double-clicks, causing me to delete two email messages at once randomly. It does not matter whether I have a mouse plugged in or not, whether I'm using the mouse, the trackpad, or the delete key.

TheServia

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2014
Same problem....

I have a Logitch wired mouse [not sure of the exact model] but I have the same problem on my Mac.
It keeps double clicking (and the double click is REALLY fast) but it still does stuff twice, and when dragging files, it seems to lose clicking? And then regains it so I'm left selecting loads of files. Works fine with my pc (Windows 7 Home premium).
----------------------------------------
MacBook Pro OSX 10.9.1

hammmlet

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2014
I SOLVED MY PROBLEM:

Same issues on my 2007 Mac Pro - lots of weirdness from mouse acting like it was double clicking all the time, but also some finder selection weirdness, i.e. it would select everything I clicked like I was holding the Apple key and then would often double click and open them all. And when typing in anything hitting space bar would always open Spotlight and the rest of my typing would go there. I have the smaller apple silver bluetooth keyboard, and tried a number of wired mice and an older white apple bluetooth mouse all with same erratic behavior

So on a whim, thinking it might have something to do with my bluetooth keyboard I turned off bluetooth and immediately it started acting normal again. I then turned bluetooth back on and deleted all the bluetooth devices that I had setup over the years and didn't use anymore and re-setup the bluetooth keyboard I still use, and all seems to be going well. It was an immediate fix for me.

Steve Koontz

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2015
NYC
Ready To Scream

Still have the double clicking problem. I have tried every solution here.
I feel this is like the disappearing cursor in mail. It's gone on for years with no fix. I'm sure they do not give a S#%T about us. The money is in iPhones & games.

If anyone has solved it by changing the system software please advise.

Regards...

MacPro 10.8.5 Razer Deathadder 3.5G

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
I am at my wits end with this nightmare. I have been scouring the internet for a fix and still the problem persists like a little grub burrowing through my brain!

I have tried every solution in this thread and other threads on Apple's support forum.

I cannot believe that this is still a problem - this thread was started nearly 6 years ago. I basically cannot even use my Mac anymore and all my projects have come to a halt.

I have been using a Logitech MX Revolution mouse for many years (at least 8) and have never have a problem until I updated to ML 10.8.5. It has been the best mouse I have ever used. I am inclined to believe the problem is with 10.8.5, which may have also existed in SL 10.6 too (I didn't use that OS so didn't experienced the mouse bug). Now it seems the bug has returned.

I've tried resetting the SMC, turning off bluetooth, uninstalling the Logitech LCC driver and many other suggestions. I am not willing to upgrade my OS due to software incompatibilities.

Steve Koontz

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2015
NYC
From the second I upgraded to 10.8.5...

As soon as I updated to 10.8.5 I had mouse problems. I went through 3 "magicmice" before I realized they F*7%ked up something in the update. I used my old wired mouse until I bought a Razer. The double-clicking has always been a problem.

Last edited:

moroz1984

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
A little more info:
MacBook Pro 15", Late 2012, 10.10.2
Problem is persistent with:
SteelSeries Sensei (Wired)
MX Revolution (Wireless)
Anywhere MX (Wireless)

No additional mouse SW Installed (LCC, or other)

A pain in the ass... :confused:

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
I updated to Mavericks in the hopes that it would solve the problem. Alas, no. Now I can see no other option but to take the drastic step of downgrading to 10.8.4 - the problem seemed to arise with 10.8.5.

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
I would just like to report that I have, touch wood, seem to have fixed the problem. It seems to have been a hardware problem with my Logitech Revolution MX mouse after all.

I followed the advice from these guides:

https://youtu.be/V66Cd2Y4IPs

http://www.redferret.net/?p=31008

http://www.instructables.com/id/Repair-mouse-with-double-click-problem/

So far, so good.

I actually suspect it may have been hardware AND software, since I was able to replicate the problem with another mouse. Then somehow fixed the software problem by following the suggestions here (reseting SMC etc), but the hardware problem remained. This would explain why being able to pin-point the cause was so illusive.

Anyway, I initially thought I wouldn't bother trying to DIY my mouse, but so glad I did.

I hope that helps somebody.

Cheers.

P.S. If I have spoken too soon and the problem comes back then I will report back here. Fingers crossed!

PVMichele

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
I have this really annoying issue where my mouse will randomly double click in OS X when i didn't actually double click my mouse. I had this problem before in Leopard (with different mouse) but now it seems the problem has returned with snow leopard. has anyone else had this problem? I checked the mouse properties and there's nothing strange there. I also don't have custom drivers installed. Just default snow leopard drivers.
I am having the same problem with Yosemite!! I have checked all the settings I can find. it is the randomness that is so frustrating. And not just with my Logitech trackball, but all with the built-in mouse pad.

paulzab

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016
Australia
I am having the same problem with Yosemite!! I have checked all the settings I can find. it is the randomness that is so frustrating. And not just with my Logitech trackball, but all with the built-in mouse pad.
[doublepost=1459307651][/doublepost]Hi,

I have been having the same problem. I've tried corded and cordless mice (made by Apple as well as the Yum Cha variety), reset v and p ram etc. Didn't work.

A solution seems to have been found – at least for the past 30 mins, it's been working properly.

I created a test user on my mac and my mouse was fine, so, you need to log back in under your normal user and . . .
Finder > press and hold down option then select Go from the menu at the top of the screen.
Select Library then scroll down to Preferences.
Inside this folder delete the following:
com.apple.AppleMultitouchMouse.plist
com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad.plist
com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse.plist
com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad.plist
com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist

Then restart your mac.

Cheers,
Paul Zab

Postscript 20th April, 2016 . . .
The success of the above solution didn't last very long at all.

Solutions I have tried . . .

Changed mice e.g. Apple genuine as well as non-genuine mice, corded and wireless.

Reset pram and nvram.

Delete p.list preferences to do with mouse.

Reformat the hard drive i.e. delete everything on hard drive and re-install operating system.

Update operating system from Yosemite to El Capitan.

Mouse problem still persists.

I have talked to Apple support four times and the staff have been helpful as far as they can but they seem to think it is a hardware issue. Given I’ve changed mice three or four times and put the USB mouse connection into different ports on the mac AND I know these ports work because I use them for other activities i.e. connect camera and download photos etc. it certainly isn’t a hardware issue related to the mouse or the USB connection.

It seems that, somewhere between the USB connection and where the mouse is supposed to do something on the screen, there is a problem i.e. software engineering/operating system/coding problem.

Anyone else contact Apple support and/or can add anything further to my experiences?

Cheers, Paul Zab

Last edited:

melly2017

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2017
On this 21/5" core2duo 3.06gHz imac (shipped with 10.6), I saw this with Apple's Magic Mouse, Apple's wired single-button (white) mouse, and a 2-button microsoft wheel mouse. I've tried all 3 mice with different drivers, including M$ drivers, USB overdrive, and Apple's built-in drivers. I was able to see this error with ALL combinations of driver/mouse, so it's not related to brand/wireless capability. The only similarity in setups is that they are all *optical* mice. I do not see this behavior at all using a logitech trackball (on another 10.6.3 box - xeon tower).

*yanks out hair like everyone else*

Likewise here. I have tried half a dozen different brands of OPTICAL mice to no avail, and yet they all work normally on my Windows PC computers. I don't have any Logitech or Bluetooth aftermarket files installed, and I've tried numerous suggested fixes on various forums without success. Nevertheless, my old roller ball DELL mouse is working perfectly (at least so far, for the last few hours). Needless to say, a roller ball mouse is a poor substitute for an optical mouse.
[doublepost=1486750318][/doublepost]
Mouse/trackpad and delete key randomly double-click

this happens to me on BOTh of my mac laptops, it drives me insane. It happens with the mouse, with the trackpad, and with the delete key. I cannot select text, and it randomly double-clicks, causing me to delete two email messages at once randomly. It does not matter whether I have a mouse plugged in or not, whether I'm using the mouse, the trackpad, or the delete key.

Likewise here...for a long time I didn't notice that I was deleting email messages inadvertently by this pernicious double-clicking on my email app's trash icon—because the double clicking occurs SO FAST. I click to delete a message and then the next message in the list is deleted instantly as well. Unless I happened to be watching closely I didn't catch it. Consequently, I have no idea how many email messages I've lost. This is a very serious problem that desperately needs a fix from Apple.

macanalista

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2017
I am having the same problem in Tiger but when I boot in MacOS 9 the mouse works fine. Has the issue been solved finally? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.