Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moebius206

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem yet? Has Apple acknowledged it?

I too am experiencing this. Often when I single-click mymouse, the system interprets it as a double-click. It's driving me crazy. I have 10.5.8 and a Microsoft mouse on a MacPro with 5GB RAM.

This seems to have started happening a week or two ago after I ran an upgrade, but that might have been a coincidence.

No, there's been no acknowledgment and no one has found a sufficient fix. One can only hope it gets ironed out in the update.

Has anyone tried a brand new mouse after having the issue and the issue remained?

I dismantled my mouse (which was, admittedly, a few years old) after following another thread and did have some wear on the switch... I just want to rule out twitchy hardware and a more 'sensitive' software update that came with the multi-touch trackpad and magic mouse.

For sure, though, there is some software running the back paying attention to multiple clicks to deal with it on the multi-touch stuff.

michaelmac

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
I have the same problem and Googled to find this thread. The worst case of when this happens is when clicking to delete an email in Apple Mail. The 2 x clicks deletes the next message as well so I have to constantly monitor this in case I delete email's I didn't intend to.

Really annoying and hopefully a fix soon.

Using Logitech MX Revolution mouse.

brengamgee

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
I'm having this same issue also, with a Logitech VX Nano mouse. The biggest frustration is when I'm moving mail around into various folders and the mouse will spontaneously drop the messages I'm trying to move into a folder I don't want. Sometimes it will even pick up folders in my folder list and drop them into other folders, all while just moving messages around.

I thought my mouse was going wonky, and was ready to buy the Logitech Anywhere MX mouse, but it seems like it's more of a software issue ...

Anyone who's had success fixing this, sure would appreciate it .. it's very frustrating.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
You might try changing the batteries. I have issues with my Logitech mouse, which are almost always thoroughly resolved with a fresh set of AA's.

mt

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
I reported this last October in the Apple Developer Bug Report system. I received an additional question from Apple last Monday on whether this occurs with the Logitech driver installed. I tried it with and without LCC and still saw the double-clicks; albeit less without LCC installed.

I'll update as I get more news.

xbpr

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
I have an Apple Mighty Mouse and I've been experiencing similar clicking problems since upgrading to Snow Leopard. It is quite annoying to say the least.

davidking

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2010
I'm having the same problem on a MacBook Pro: the button usually double-clicks when I single-click. All the problems mentioned above (opening files/apps when all I want to do is select it, etc.) Started when I had Leopard (not immediately upon installing it, though) and has continued with Snow Leopard. When I plug in my trackball, everything works fine (using the trackball buttons, not the button built into the MacBook Pro). Very frustrating.

plunky

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2010
SL issue - I have macally dotmouse

I have a macally wired dotmouse with a BRAND NEW 27" iMac i7 2.8Ghz and have been having the same problem....it is more than annoying :eek: ....I can't select more than one layer in After Effects without launching all of the layer windows and forget multiple selects in the finder....often clicking on a file to move it launches it instead....also double launches two windows when i click on a link in Safari....you get the picture...this is seriously compromising my ability to use this computer for work. How :apple: could let such a basic problem persist or even happen in the first place is beyond me.. I agree, their quality control has really gone into the gutter in the last few years. Btw, I am running SnowLeopard and didn't install any of the Macally drivers... using the built in apple control panel to set mouse/tracking speed, etc....what a pain!!!!!!

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Wow, I thought I was the only one losing my mind here. This is just unbearable. I'm running the latest SL build with a Logitech MX1000. It started acting up around two to three weeks ago. Very unproductive.

brengamgee

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
Wow, I thought I was the only one losing my mind here. This is just unbearable. I'm running the latest SL build with a Logitech MX1000. It started acting up around two to three weeks ago. Very unproductive.

Mine has been going on for about 2 months. It seems to be worse in certain programs. The dragging and having the mouse drop at the wrong place is the biggest problem. In Finder, it seems to be somewhat ok - but it's horrible in Mail. I'll be dragging mail to a folder, and it will drop it randomly in some other folder where I have to hunt for it.

I've resorted to just using the trackpad when I am moving items in Mail.

Erick 1:1.618

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
Also a Problem With My Trackpad

This double-click madness started for me about 2 months ago. I installed Logitech software, didn't like the mouse, then installed MacAlley software a week later. That's when I noticed the problem.

I've uninstalled both from System Preferences, but the problem persists. It seems most pronounced in the Finder, where I can hardly perform a single click. It's second worst in Mail. It doesn't happen AT ALL in my ArchiCAD software, which I use for hours a day. I switch to the Finder and it's back.

I see a lot of people here with Logitech devices. Could that be the culprit? I tried a Safe Boot (startup with Shift Key held down), but it still happened in the Finder.

Oy.

Heath

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2005
Canada
I have a Logitech MX 620 and have the same issue, it gets rather infuriating when trying to work in interface builder with a 'random click' mouse.

interslice

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
NL
trackpad

I also suffer the double click problem occasionally.
to me the trackpad feels like a hardware issue.

I also have highlighting problems on my 10.4 to 10.5 macbook intel* - as in it can't highlight text anywhere? funtionally it does ... but visually it doesn't causing me much annoyance and loss of life (lol)

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I also suffer the double click problem occasionally.
to me the trackpad feels like a hardware issue.

Same here. I always thought it was just my gummy trackpad button, but apparently it's a more widespread issue. I've never noticed it with any other mice I have, nor does a single-tap on the trackpad produce a double-click.

plunky

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2010
Help

That's not useful information for troubleshooting help. Where is the mouse double-click speed set? Have you changed that setting at all to see if that makes a difference? We can't assume you have if you don't say so.

I could list all of the million things I tried, including resetting mouse, speed, restarting, etc....how much is enough? All I know is that this problem persists with ALL brands of mice I've tried regardless of the mouse settings, and that these same pieces of hardware have no issues in my other mac that is running 10.4.x.....PLEASE, CAN ANYONE HELP BEYOND THE TOKEN ROBOT SOLUTIONS!!!! THIS IS A BUG, AND NOT A SETTINGS or THIRD PARTY HARDWARE PROBLEM....WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH APPLE ANYWAY? I'm having trouble using this brand new computer to do basic work at home!!:mad:

Reactions: Tobilins

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
This problem is rather hard to explain so I made a video for this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ1eDpmyBvE

Please watch it on 720p/1080p for best quality and clarity.

I have put annotations during the problem ;)

Used to happen intermittently... it happens for 2 hours already today... This is getting annoying
and no you can rule out battery problem as this is a wired mouse

alextsnet

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
Has anyone had this problem using a BT Mighty Mouse or the new Magic Mouse?

The issue appears to be related to the left-click button specifically (at least with the mice I've tried). My Logitech MX revolution has a "thumb-click" button, which I set to be a "left click." I have *never* had problems with this button. It's always the physical left click button that causes problems. This makes me want to hurl my computer through a window (I use a Mac to avoid those kinds of feelings, go figure); nothing's worse than making careful command-click selections one by one, only to have one of your choices double-clicked and your fine selecting work is toss.

Short story long, one somewhat inelegant solution is to assign another mouse button to be your left-click.

17" MacBook Pro (Mid-2007) 2.4 GHz C2D 4GB 160GB 7200RPM 10.6.2

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
The issue appears to be related to the left-click button specifically (at least with the mice I've tried). My Logitech MX revolution has a "thumb-click" button, which I set to be a "left click." I have *never* had problems with this button.

Sounds like a defective mouse.

mt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.