Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
man, I really wish they got rid of the chin on the 24"...

I need someone to educate me on the video cards. I rarely play games. Almost never. But I do want to be somewhat future proof as far as Core Image, Core Video and application support, like with Apeture, etc.

Is the X1600 on the 20" a really outdated card these days?

Also, does it make sense to upgrade from the 7300 to 7600 on the 24"?

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
This is my almost-dream set up (my dream set up is a 30"iMac, but that's just crazy talk). Now to dust off the ol' credit card and spend the next week sweet-talking my wife. :D

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
ok.. now that its semi sunk in.. the 24inch is obviously a completely new design, but have the rest of the line not also possibly seen a internal revamp? Sure the C2D wouldnt require it, but is there a chance apple made the new models a bit easier to upgrade, the last ones were apparenly a nightmare!!!

And isnt the lowend 17inch just the "emac" version of the imac?

Xenesis

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
Australia
There's two 17' models now. One's the standard iMac iMac, while they've let out the eMac iMac for general public buying. Better deal than a Mini, really.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
dsnort said:
That $999 17" inch model has integrated graphics and no bluetooth.
That config was previously only available for educational users. It's the eMac replacement in an iMac form factor.

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
England
dmw007 said:
No it is not THAT much faster- the big increase in speed was when the iMac went from the PowerPC G5 -> Core Duo. But still, up to 1.5X faster is a nice speed increase in my opinion. :)

No I agree- not to be sniffed at! I'll be sending back the 20" I got last week to get one of these babys (Costs £60 to do it though :() Maybe I was expecting too much though. I wont be returning it just for the speed increase though. The extra screen space, brightness, FW800 etc is worth it in my eyes. (And I can have 3GB RAM!)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
simontarr said:
No I agree- not to be sniffed at! I'll be sending back the 20" I got last week to get one of these babys (Costs £60 to do it though :() Maybe I was expecting too much though. I wont be returning it just for the speed increase though. The extra screen space, brightness, FW800 etc is worth it in my eyes. (And I can have 3GB RAM!)

Good choice simontarr, the new iMacs are definitely worth sending your old (by one week :p ) 20" iMac back in for. I was going to buy a 2.66GHz Mac Pro, but a 24" 2.33GHz iMac would probably be more than suffice for my needs. :D :)

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
England
dmw007 said:
Good choice simontarr, the new iMacs are definitely worth sending your old (by one week :p ) 20" iMac back in for. I was going to buy a 2.66GHz Mac Pro, but a 24" 2.33GHz iMac would probably be more than suffice for my needs. :D :)

Yeah i know! I hadn't checked the rumour forums for a while when I was ordering (it didnt cross my mind- maybe I was too excited with actually owning a mac:D )

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
simontarr said:
Yeah i know! I hadn't checked the rumour forums for a while when I was ordering (it didnt cross my mind- maybe I was too excited with actually owning a mac:D )

I know all about that feeling. :eek: :D Either way you go (your current 20" iMac or one of the new ones), you will still have a great machine. :)

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
England
dmw007 said:
I know all about that feeling. :eek: :D Either way you go (your current 20" iMac or one of the new ones), you will still have a great machine. :)

Yeah, it's a lot of hassle to change this over and another 2-3 weeks of waiting for it to be delivered (i dont think i can go through that again :eek: ) I upgrade my computers every 18 months or so, so I may just wait for the next revision and in the meantime ask apple for 'compensation' seeing as theres been a nice price drop. I like the look of the porsche external HDs. My current machine still does everything I want it to- fast

Xenesis

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
Australia
Huzzah! Australian Education Store has been updated with the new iMacs.

Price drop of about $150. Good good. Then I can get the 17" video card model, and get a HD upgrade for what I would have paid. ^_^

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Seems the 24" is designed to sit squarely between Consumer and Pro, the 24" not only has an LCD with an 'HD' resolution, it also features FireWire 800.

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
I feel awful. The 24'' iMac seems to have everything I wanted, but I couldn't wait that long and bought a Mac Pro.:(

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
dan-o-mac said:
I wish they got rid of it on all models. What's up with the design team. Could it be that hard?

Yeah, I agree. I hate the chin. If they made the case thicker and just complete did away with the chin, I'd be happy.

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
England
ZoomZoomZoom said:
Yeah, I agree. I hate the chin. If they made the case thicker and just complete did away with the chin, I'd be happy.

I've noticed a lot of people arent happy with the chins. I dont mind them tbh. I like the apple logo being there. Anyhoo, apple can even make white plastic look good, and in my opinion its not that bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.