Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
dmw007 said:
No it is not THAT much faster- the big increase in speed was when the iMac went from the PowerPC G5 -> Core Duo. But still, up to 1.5X faster is a nice speed increase in my opinion. :)

40-50% Are we looking at the same numbers? That sounds like a huge increase to me, especially for the same # of cores at only a slightly higher clock speed (15%).

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
sixstorm said:
Well this sucks . . . I just bought my iMac back in April! Once I heard that the Core 2's were out, I knew Apple would upgrade ASAP. I just knew it. :(

4 or 5 months isn't a "just" situation, I don't think. Suck it up.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
I'm only dissapointed that the $999 don't come with BT. That's such a little cool feature that even the Mini comes with. It already has sower CPU (with 1/2 the cache), a Combo Drive, and slower graphics. Plus, it doesn't ship with an Apple Remote, though that is an option. I just think BT should be standard on all.:(

Otherwise, this is perfect! I had hoped for FW800 on all models, but have you guys heard? 24 watt amped speakers in 24" and 12 W in other models? Awesome! :D

Fadl

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2001
Is it be possible that Apple has changed the hdd acces on the 24" iMac?
Maybe someone has a technical document....;)

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
And to think I was dead set on saving for a Mac Pro...

I just got my 2GHz MB a couple months ago to get me through my last year of highschool and through college. I was pretty sure I'd want to get a desktop at the end of the school year so I'd have it for college. The Mac Pro was a near perfect candidate, but the price was just too much for the lack of the monitor.

However, for only $2000 after education discount, I can get a smokin' processor, a gig of RAM, a 7600GT (More than enough for decent gaming through Windows), better sound, and a freakin' 24" LCD!

I think I may just have to cut the PS3 out of my budget, and try to save for this before my birthday comes in January!

I think this is the best deal Apple has, period. Too bad the iPod deal is defunct now. :(

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
savar said:
40-50% Are we looking at the same numbers? That sounds like a huge increase to me, especially for the same # of cores at only a slightly higher clock speed (15%).

Well... and we all know clockspeed is the most important thing... I thought Apple themselves broke the megahertz myth :mad:

The iMacs are a lot nicer now, especially the 24 inch one which offers a lot for the money, the 999$ base iMac is a dissapointment, I can't see anyone losing 170mhz, half the l2 cache (which is very important in Core 2), half the memory, integrated graphics (which means even less system memory), cd/dvd burner, apple remote and bluetooth just to save 200$ over the 1199$ iMac... I mean would you?

Other than that the iMac 24 inch sounds attractive, especially with a 2.33 processor and a 7600GT but I still wouldn't buy an iMac... at that configuration I'd rather get a Mac Pro and use a smaller monitor... now a lower end headless machine in a Mac Pro enclosure priced from 1000 to 2000$... now we're talking... too bad it doesn't seem like it'll happen.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Chone said:
I can't see anyone losing 170mhz, half the l2 cache (which is very important in Core 2), half the memory, integrated graphics (which means even less system memory), cd/dvd burner, apple remote and bluetooth just to save 200$ over the 1199$ iMac... I mean would you?

Well, I think the low end is for classrooms and school purchases. None of those features you mentioned will be missed by students in computer labs. Inexpensive is the key here. When you have to buy 50-60 machines for school kids to bang on, you don't need alot of features.
It's also a nice machine to buy for Grandma who will not be running Photoshop, DOOM, or ripping DVD's from blockbuster. Great little web surfer/email grabber.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
lcseds said:
Well, I think the low end is for classrooms and school purchases. None of those features you mentioned will be missed by students in computer labs. Inexpensive is the key here. When you have to buy 50-60 machines for school kids to bang on, you don't need alot of features.
It's also a nice machine to buy for Grandma who will not be running Photoshop, DOOM, or ripping DVD's from blockbuster. Great little web surfer/email grabber.

Well you make a good point there... I don't see much (if any) people outside THAT market considering a 999$ iMac though, its still nice, but for 200$ extra you get a much sweeter deal

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
savar said:

Taken from Apple's website- :)

Attachments

• iMac Performance Chart.png
    iMac Performance Chart.png
    23 KB · Views: 379

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
savar said:

I remember when 15% was almost half a megahert! LOL

Im more impressed by the performance of Final cut pro, iphoto and safari! (But I suspect Safari is more disk related actually)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Cooknn said:
I was admiring my 23-inch Cinema HD last night and thinking to myself how HUGE the new 24-inch iMac will be. Nice :p

I think the same thing when I sit here and use my MacBook Pro connected to an external 19" widescreen LCD. :D :)

Ryan Williams

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2006
Do the iMacs (excluding the 17") use a specially produced kind of GeForce, or could you theoretically swap the included 7*00 with a different GeForce purchased from a generic hardware shop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.