Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarnelianClout

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2023
Hey

Made the switch to MacOS about 14 years ago. It was when windows 10 I think came out.

I found the MacBook was more intuitive than the redesign windows OS.

For the most part I only ever did basic functions with any of my devices, however I’ve recently, since purchasing HomePods for my TV seen the benefits of things like shortcuts and automations and have generally been utilising the ecosystem more efficiently which has been great as many moons ago I really enjoyed computers.

The time I spent with a foot out of the digital landscape has meant I’ve missed a few precursors to current apps and technologies. I’ve found that this had lead to some vast gaps in my knowledge and understanding and extra learning is required on my part for new apps etc as the evolutionary processes of knowledge from previous versions I do not have.

Where I’m finding the most drive at the moment is finding ways and trying to build Shortcuts that make life a little bit easier for those struggling with Mental Health issues.
Windows 10 came out in 2015, I used it first in 2016 or so, myself.

cosmicpracticaljoke

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2023
Australia
Windows 10 came out in 2015, I used it first in 2016 or so, myself.
Ah ok. Way before that then. I was still married at the time hahaha. Got me thinking now though. Just googled. Windows 7. It was the one after Vista that had the most significant changes since 98. I remember because I went with the Mac after I tried to used the new windows laptop I brought my ex wife. It was so **** that I decided to give Apple a try. Haven’t looked back since.

C0ncreteBl0nde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2023
Rural America
I guess I'm still a newbie, I have been here about a month now, but I have a question: I note that some of the members have numbers under their names such as "macrumors 6502" and "macrumors 68040" while others just say "macrumors member" or "macrumors newbie." What do the numbers mean?

Everyone has been very kind and helpful here and that is much appreciated. As a Mac fan(atic) since the early 90s, I look forward to engaging and learning from your Mac community!

Reactions: Weaselboy

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I guess I'm still a newbie, I have been here about a month now, but I have a question: I note that some of the members have numbers under their names such as "macrumors 6502" and "macrumors 68040" while others just say "macrumors member" or "macrumors newbie." What do the numbers mean?

Everyone has been very kind and helpful here and that is much appreciated. As a Mac fan(atic) since the early 90s, I look forward to engaging and learning from your Mac community!

mrveggieman

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2023
Georgia (USA)
Hello everyone this is MrVeggieman from Georgia. I'm looking forward to chatting with everyone on computers, phones, tech, video games and anything else. If you have any questions feel free to send me a DM.

Reactions: C0ncreteBl0nde

tek.prabu

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2023
I have been using macs for a while now, and admit am a disgruntled mac pro user. Renewed interest learning about OpenCore/.* and so am:
  1. trying to see if I can salvage my Adobe CS5 (read that there have been instances where people have got around to make it work on High Sierra).
  2. joy of using newer OS-s with cMP5,1.
Appreciate the great work people have done and looking forward to getting things setup with the help of lovely people here! :)

izverycool

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2023
Hello!

I'm new to the forum here. I'm more of a PC and Android guy, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the older 1990's Macs that I used in school. I have several of those, including Apple II's, so you'll probably see me more on those kinds of forums and threads on here. I do have a couple of "modern" Macs, but not "modern" by Apple's standards. I am familiar a little with iPhones and iPads.

Mike.

Ray Traced Apple Silicon

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2023
Hello everyone!

I’m 21, I live in Turkey and I’ve followed what Apple has done (albeit on and off) since 2014.

Massive price hikes across all product categories during the 2017-2018 era has reduced my interest but the remarkable capabilities of the M series chips got my attention again and I’ve followed Apple closer since the launch in November 2020.

I’ve visited macrumors fairly often during the last few months so I’ve figured out I might as well join while I’m at it.

And as you can see in my username, I’m interested in both Apple Silicon and Ray Traced graphics, and A17 Pro with ray tracing got me so excited, so here I am.

RTAS

Reactions: Weaselboy

OnePieceIsReal

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
hi everybody, made my account on macrumors. I do photography and videos as a hobby; I am going to school "college" for electrical engineering degree. I literally made an account here to respond to some of these members in macrumors complaining about 6-12tb iCloud storage

Reactions: decafjava

Jerutix

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2023
OK, USA
Hey! I’ve been lurking since 9to5mac switched their format, and then wondered why I hadn’t come over sooner after over a decade on sister site TouchArcade. The article comments here are great, and I finally registered when I wanted to reply. See y’all around!

Reactions: Mylodon

thatcapsguy12

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2023
USA
Hi I'm jacky, I am a long time lurker, but have been a Mac guy since 2012 with being into video and photo editing as a kid. I was a switcher who had to beg my Mom for an iPhone in 2013 after my old phone took concrete to the glass when I was outrunning a firetruck so I have been an iPhone user since then but had many iPods as a kid. I am a bit awkward but I don't bite, my cats do but they're up north at the farm

Mylodon

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2023
Los Angles
Hi everyone, I'm Tery, the newbie here!

I recently added an iPad Air to my tech collection, and it perfectly suits my daily needs. But that's not the only exciting change in my digital life. I used to be a dedicated Android user, but things took an interesting turn when I decided to give iOS a shot with the iPhone.

The iOS system has truly amazed me. It's not that I think Android is bad; I've had some great experiences with Android. However, there's something about the streamlined nature of iOS that has captured my heart. The user interface is so clean and intuitive, making my transition surprisingly smooth.

If anyone has tips or insights to share with a newbie like me navigating the world of iOS, please don't hesitate to pass them along. I'm looking forward to making the most of my Apple devices for all my daily tasks and adventures. Excited to join you all!

Blue Ti

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2023
Hello!

Android convert here--I haven't had an iPhone since the 5 (still have it)! Also a headphone jack holdout with my Galaxy S10 since 2019, but as most brands continued to drop it thru the years...sticking with Android became less important. My iPad Pro + iPhone's move to USB-C convinced me to come back to iOS.

Now getting set up with my 15 Pro -- can you guess the color? 😁

Appreciate any tips/tricks you may have!

Reactions: decafjava

sudofrank

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2023
TX, US
Here to say hello, long time Apple user (since at least 03' at this point...), long time lurker and user of the forums to fix obscure issues with MacBooks, iBooks, iPhones throughout the years. Time to create an account and get involved. iPhone 15 Pro Max on the way!

nininiiiick

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2023
Venice
Hello everyone!

I just registered on the forum and wanted to share a bit about myself and my journey with Apple:

I am a 24-year-old system administrator from Italy, and I have been working in tech since 2017. I never really cared for Apple products, but my family was always divided, with my mom using an iPhone (from the 3 to the 6) and my dad using Android (mainly HTC and Samsung).

My first proper Apple product was an iPhone 8 I won in late 2017. I used it for a couple of weeks, but I ended up not liking it and gave it to my mom.

In 2019, I got my second Apple product, an Early 2008 15" MacBook Pro, which was in pretty bad shape. It was going to be thrown out at work, so I decided to save it, completely upgrade it with an SSD, and patch it to Catalina.

Then, in 2018, my old company was going to throw away a Mid 2013 MacBook Air. I couldn't do much in terms of upgrades, so I decided to run Linux on it and use it as a test bench in the office. Unfortunately, this MacBook Air was thrown out last year.

In late 2020, after the M1 Presentation, my desire to get a MacBook to fix up grew stronger (thanks to people like Luke Miani, SnazzyLabs, and MKBHD). So, I acquired a very cheap, working, mid-2015 MacBook Pro with a broken screen and repaired it: new screen, new keyboard and backlight, new SSD, and then, when I accidentally fried it, a new and upgraded motherboard with dedicated graphics and a more "powerful" CPU.

I ended up selling it for a small profit in November '21, but macOS felt fresh, snappy, and much different than the usual Windows 10 experience.

Longing for more, I ended up getting a fantastic deal on an M2 Air that I used daily for around 8 months. To this, I added a 2018 12.9" iPad Pro (with Apple Pencil, AirPods Pro 2, and the green folio cover).

Feeling like I needed a little more performance, I sold the M2 Air and got an M1 Pro (14") that I now use daily.
During the summer, a colleague of mine showed me his iPhone 12 mini, and I fell in love. This phone would be the perfect addition for a lightweight EDC, so I decided to get a green iPhone 13 Mini with the green leather cover and the green Apple wallet.

My last two purchases were the Apple Watch Ultra (with, you guessed it, the green Alpine Loop) and an iPad Air 5th gen that I still have sealed. I think I could sell it or trade it in when the new iPad mini comes out.

I wouldn't say I have fully converted to being an Apple fanboy, but by building an ecosystem around my needs and daily life, I can definitely see some of the advantages of using Apple products (though I can also see some of the disadvantages).

I am now looking around to see if I can find a cheap MacBook (the small 12" from 2017, 16, or 15), and I can't wait for the release of the new iPad Mini to finally retire my Z Fold 3.

Thank you so much to everyone for reading, I hope you have a nice day! 😀

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Hello everyone!

I just registered on the forum and wanted to share a bit about myself and my journey with Apple:

I am a 24-year-old system administrator from Italy, and I have been working in tech since 2017. I never really cared for Apple products, but my family was always divided, with my mom using an iPhone (from the 3 to the 6) and my dad using Android (mainly HTC and Samsung).

My first proper Apple product was an iPhone 8 I won in late 2017. I used it for a couple of weeks, but I ended up not liking it and gave it to my mom.

In 2019, I got my second Apple product, an Early 2008 15" MacBook Pro, which was in pretty bad shape. It was going to be thrown out at work, so I decided to save it, completely upgrade it with an SSD, and patch it to Catalina.

Then, in 2018, my old company was going to throw away a Mid 2013 MacBook Air. I couldn't do much in terms of upgrades, so I decided to run Linux on it and use it as a test bench in the office. Unfortunately, this MacBook Air was thrown out last year.

In late 2020, after the M1 Presentation, my desire to get a MacBook to fix up grew stronger (thanks to people like Luke Miani, SnazzyLabs, and MKBHD). So, I acquired a very cheap, working, mid-2015 MacBook Pro with a broken screen and repaired it: new screen, new keyboard and backlight, new SSD, and then, when I accidentally fried it, a new and upgraded motherboard with dedicated graphics and a more "powerful" CPU.

I ended up selling it for a small profit in November '21, but macOS felt fresh, snappy, and much different than the usual Windows 10 experience.

Longing for more, I ended up getting a fantastic deal on an M2 Air that I used daily for around 8 months. To this, I added a 2018 12.9" iPad Pro (with Apple Pencil, AirPods Pro 2, and the green folio cover).

Feeling like I needed a little more performance, I sold the M2 Air and got an M1 Pro (14") that I now use daily.
During the summer, a colleague of mine showed me his iPhone 12 mini, and I fell in love. This phone would be the perfect addition for a lightweight EDC, so I decided to get a green iPhone 13 Mini with the green leather cover and the green Apple wallet.

My last two purchases were the Apple Watch Ultra (with, you guessed it, the green Alpine Loop) and an iPad Air 5th gen that I still have sealed. I think I could sell it or trade it in when the new iPad mini comes out.

I wouldn't say I have fully converted to being an Apple fanboy, but by building an ecosystem around my needs and daily life, I can definitely see some of the advantages of using Apple products (though I can also see some of the disadvantages).

I am now looking around to see if I can find a cheap MacBook (the small 12" from 2017, 16, or 15), and I can't wait for the release of the new iPad Mini to finally retire my Z Fold 3.

Thank you so much to everyone for reading, I hope you have a nice day! 😀
Very good introduction. Enjoy the interactions here.

Reactions: nininiiiick

CyndyR

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2023
This will be a bit of a test... Another of these threads started with good intentions... but was soon taken over by regulars.

if you just joined MacRumors, reply and introduce yourself.

This is only for new Macrumors users... only users who registered within two months of the current date may reply...

All other users posts will be deleted. (moderators, please enforce this). This will be for myself included... only comments by truely "new" users will be allowed in this thread.

Discuss away...

(this could fail miserably if no one replies :) )

arn
Hi 🌞

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.