Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LurkNoMore

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2019
MetroWest
"I've been alive forever, and I wrote the very first song. I put the words and the melo... "
Wait. Wrong lyric. I meant to say:
I've been lurking here forever. Like every time I need to make an upgrade purchase, I check in.
As my avatar indicates, I possess a 4,1->5,1 8-core early 2009. And that'll be my prime focus.
I'm mainly a CS (now CC) creative and I've always been just far enough behind the curve to ask: "Is photoshop really supposed to take this long? I should've stayed with System 7 and Quark 3.2."
So, yeah. Old enough to be underwhelmed by each new, bloaty, tedious, time-sucking "upgrade" thrown at us by our silicon masters.
But naive enough to stay engaged.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Macpiglet

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2019
England
Hello all. I’ve browsed here in the past, but returned last week when the new Air came out to attempt to confirm my strong feeling that it was time for me to get a new iPad :) I read various threads and in the end went for a refurbished 10.5 Pro (fingers crossed on the white spot issue). It came yesterday and so far I love it. I also got an Apple Pencil and I’m just amazed by what it’s possible to do with the iPad, the pencil and Notability. Just fabulous :)

I seem to be approaching ancient - not sure how or when that happened! I’m a very enthusiastic computer user, but not technical in any sense. My desktop is Windows both at work and at home, but I absolutely love my iPad (and iPhone), and use it more than anything else (except for my MP3 player - audiobook addiction).

I’ve already had a lot of help here - thank you very much for that. It’s very much appreciated :)

alexcrm

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2019
Hi there! New here, I'm from Italy and I love the Mac world. I've a Late 2011 MBP, modified by me with an SSD, 8 GB of ram, a 4 Bluetooth module for use continuity with macOS Mojave and a bluray player. I'm here for being constantly updated on Mac world!
Thx :)

Nebula29

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2019
This will be a bit of a test... Another of these threads started with good intentions... but was soon taken over by regulars.

if you just joined MacRumors, reply and introduce yourself.

This is only for new Macrumors users... only users who registered within two months of the current date may reply...

All other users posts will be deleted. (moderators, please enforce this). This will be for myself included... only comments by truely "new" users will be allowed in this thread.

Discuss away...

(this could fail miserably if no one replies :) )

arn
Cheers! Not sure if I actually qualify to respond as I have been seeing/following MacRumors for years, just never signed up. The article on the new Peanuts short - All Systems are Go prompted a joining however. A die hard Snoopy fan. And in that vein and to follow the theme - We have lift off! (To my subscription to this site.) Thank you for your welcome.

iKnow1Word

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2019
Hello! I've gone from Samsung for most of my life and then I tried the Pixel 3 and I think I'm done with Android. Samsung's can barely last a few years before the software implodes and Pixel 3's performance has been kind of jank.

I'm thinking the next gen of iPhone might be for me now!

novcross

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2019
Mobile Al
Greetings Ladies n Gents,
Looking forward to digging thru the tons of post to glean information about my new toy
yep its old but the more I use it the more I realize I should have came into the light years ago.

Glad there are people who care enough about others to compile a free treasure trove of knowledge, rock on !

Sir Charles82

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2019
Vienna
Hello,
just newly signed uo after extensively using the threads on unsupported macs. As fan of forums I thought joining will hurt nobody and perhaps some questions of mine can be answered.

Taff Evans

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2019
Yorkshire Uk
Hi Folks, Taff here....just wanted to say "Hello" and say that i am glad to be here. Retired now and spending far too much time trying to learn about the older Mac Pros, specifically the 2,1, so will be trawling the forums to see what gems i can find. Thank you for having me...

OSX_rulez

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2019
Italy
Hello all, I'm a long time MacRumors forums "lurker" and Apple user since 1984. Now it's time to ask some questions here that Apple support staff couldn't answer!

Mariner19

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2019
South Carolina, USA
I'm a newbie as being a registered member of the macrumors site. I've owned several Apple products since 2008, my 1st Mac Pro 1,1 was purchased in 2010 with Snow Leopard, 1 TB HDD, base line processors,2 optical drives, the very basic video card, it had minimal memory - 6 GM of various modules. Since that time I have done several upgrades. 2,1, 3GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon processors, SeaGate 1TB for OS / programs, Samsung SSD 250GB for Windows10 bootcamp, WD Black 1TB HDD x2, Pioneer BD-RW BDR-2090, ATI Radeon HD 5770 video card, replaced memory to 16GB DDR2. Currently running 2 displays. That was the easy stuff to do. Biggest challenge I ran into was the install of my current OS Mavericks 10.9 which I still currently use with no issues. My plan is to get a little more life span out of my Mac Pro with the install of El Capitan 10.11. I note there are 2 members that have worked hard developing the procedure. I could use all the help that is available.

liborio99

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2019
Hello everyone,
I'm just joining this forum because I'm a passionate restorer of Apple products, and in particular MacPro, PowerBook and MacBook.
I write from Italy.

trifle

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2019
I have been modifying computers since... we'll have stories later. For now, I've written a few kernel drivers (RSX-11,AT&TUNIX SVR4, Linux, Windows) and I like to make things work.

My latest project is a gifted iMac 24" A1200 with Nvidia 7300GT that I would like to run OS X El Capitan. I'm seriously considering using the MacPostFactor 2.0.1 tool.

Let me know soon if this is folly, and if no, which kexts I should download and activate.

mobilelawyer

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2019
Mobile, Alabama
Hello fellow travelers! I have purchased Mac Books for my daughter, and came close to owing a Mac Book Air a few years back. When I found out that I could not send and receive SMS messages from my new iPhone on my work Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon, I went into a panic. The only quasi-economical way I could find to do it was by purchasing a used Mac Mini and using remote desktop software to access iMessage on the Mini from my windows laptop. Other than my Apple TV and previous iPhones, this is the first Apple computer I have owned. I am looking forward to using it.

Fami7455

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2019
The computer (The network)
Hello there!
I have been lurking the PPC subforum for years, and I've finally worked up the courage to register an account and enter the discussion. I'm happy to join what seems to be the best place on the Internet to discuss PowerPC!

Macorange

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2019
Hi All,

Another new member to these forums, not new to Apple gear however I am a user of windows, Droid & Mac.

Recently acquired an old 2011 MBP to replace my even older Sony Viao which is still going.

I do plan on making certain upgrades on the MBP so will browse the forum in due course.

Thanks

Last edited:

ptimickey59

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2019
France, Valenciennes
Hi Everybody.

Just joined yesterday, anyone else from France?

I am using a MBair 2018 since Christmas. Never had an apple device before.

On android since ever, 1997 my 1st Nokia 5110, (not android at this time) I hope I will have a XS max at the end of this year, when iPhone 11 will be on sold. (price...)

I have for now a one plus 3, which have camera problem.

I'm happy of my air, just as all SSD is too small (128) and connectivity complicated....

I use in parallel a window HP. for steam games. But is only 4gb ram...

happy to join MacRumors forum.

almer22002

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2019
Guildford nsw
This will be a bit of a test... Another of these threads started with good intentions... but was soon taken over by regulars.

if you just joined MacRumors, reply and introduce yourself.

This is only for new Macrumors users... only users who registered within two months of the current date may reply...

All other users posts will be deleted. (moderators, please enforce this). This will be for myself included... only comments by truely "new" users will be allowed in this thread.

Discuss away...

(this could fail miserably if no one replies :) )

arn
Hi i also am a newbie but have played with mac os for years jailbreaking and such. Very interested in the patching of Mojave and Catalina on unsupported Imacs even though i run a 2014 A1418 Imac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.