Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

You are the One

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2014
In the present
When an application's option is set to "Keep in Dock", its Recent Items menu in the dock does not update. Unsetting that option partially fixes it; quitting and relaunching the app is still required to make the Recent Items menu update.
When "Keep in Dock" is set, the only solution I've found to updating the Recent Items menu in the dock is by executing "killall Dock" in Terminal.

A few google searches reveal that this has been a bug since the El Capitan betas.

I've submitted a bug report.

Yes, the Dock behaves weird since 10.11. I have shortcuts to encrypted .dmg volumes on the Dock and the icons and functionality is not working.

SAL8116

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Florida
Exactly the same issue mate.... w.t.f. is going on?... very annoying. On chrome all links load flawlessly but i dont want to use g. products.

Yeah FireFox loads everything easy, but don't feel like switching. I'm hoping Apple address this issue in a coming update and SOON!!

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
I've been thinking about upgrading my 2015 MBP with retina and ssd but reading all this scares the hell out of me. I am still running Mavericks which came with this baby which I bought in September of 2014.. Any opinions? Should I upgrade?

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I've been thinking about upgrading my 2015 MBP with retina and ssd but reading all this scares the hell out of me. I am still running Mavericks which came with this baby which I bought in September of 2014.. Any opinions? Should I upgrade?

I can only speak for myself for what it might be worth... or worthless.
I personally always deeply regretted when I didn't follow the old saying "NEVER TOUCH A RUNNING SYSTEM". :(

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015

My opinion is: "Don't fix something that works".

Unless El Capitan has some feature/ features that you must have its better to stay in Maveriks for now, it receives security updates so there is no rush to upgrade.

Reactions: neversink and Riwam

ragu

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2009
This is kinda not a bug in El Capitan itself but yeah, it impresses me that Logitech Control Center stops working at every new release of OS X.

With Mavericks and Yosemite i could not even open LCC, with El Capitan i can open LCC but none of my Logitech devices have the common decency to pair with my computers. :(

Should you not be posting on Logitech's site they are the culprits being so lazy to get new drivers or software out to handle new OS which they were well aware of.....

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
My opinion is: "Don't fix something that works".

Unless El Capitan has some feature/ features that you must have its better to stay in Maveriks for now, it receives security updates so there is no rush to upgrade.

Upgrade, mac os el capitan is a great os overall, and with the next few updates should be more stable. it is already much more stable that yosemite ever was at this same point and o nthe whole performs better. you will eventually have to upgrade due to app compatbilities, el capitan is a stable enough OS to make the transition for now, rather than waitign for the next Mac OS and fearing the problems that it may have...

Reactions: neversink

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Upgrade, mac os el capitan is a great os overall, and with the next few updates should be more stable. it is already much more stable that yosemite ever was at this same point and o nthe whole performs better. you will eventually have to upgrade due to app compatbilities, el capitan is a stable enough OS to make the transition for now, rather than waitign for the next Mac OS and fearing the problems that it may have...
Not a "great OS overall" and certainly not "much more stable than Yosemite" in my experience :eek:
And if one reads the posts of many other users, the quantity of bugs and problems reported until now in just several weeks from its release is truly impressive. :oops: I am one of the many, many unsatisfied mac users who tried El Capitan and decided to downgrade to avoid countless problems.

In the past I rushed for every new OS version.
I acknowledge it was very stupid of me. :mad:
Now I understand those who always adviced to wait until most bugs have been fixed.
This is the BEST and WISEST way. :)
Unfortunately one learns it only after having had bad experiences...
Ed

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2013
Heart of Mordor
Upgrade, mac os el capitan is a great os overall, and with the next few updates should be more stable. it is already much more stable that yosemite ever was at this same point and o nthe whole performs better.

At .2 beta it is not stable at all. Lots of issues.

El Capitan does not bring enough new features to justify the amount of issues it has. They actually managed to break things that were working fine in Yosemite.

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015

Nice that El Capitan works for you.

Just because you don't have issues with El Capitan doesn't mean it will be stable or it would be a smart idea upgrading at this point. If you take look at the number of problems reported in 10.11 it's fairly certain that El Capitan has way too many bugs at the moment.

As for the argument that eventually you have to upgrade thats true but why upgrade now and not waiting until El Capitan has its bugs squashed? Personally I am waiting until 10.11.5 (and I might skip El Capitan completely if Apple doesn't improve it enough) because Mavericks is rock solid for me and having tested El Capitan I don't see any improvements for my needs while it has serious downsides not to mention the number of bugs...

Charcoalwerks

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
Maryland
I had a weird thing happen today. I was playing a movie full screen with VLC on one monitor and had Safari window open on the iMac. It was a static web page that had been open for at least a half an hour. All the sudden the Mac became unresponsive. Couldn't move the cursor or stop the movie from the keyboard. I had to shut it down with the power button and cold start. Im not sure if this is an El Capitan bug or what but I've never had that happen in the 4 years Ive owned this iMac.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Well this is the second time today I've had to shut down and cold start. UTorrent won't force quit or close at all.
I believe that people installing El Capitan should have waited several releases of it until deciding. That has been proven in any new thing as the best way to avoid the almost unavoidable "children diseases" while having no negative side besides needing a bit of patience.
I used to jump on any new wagon immediately and now believe it was very stupid of me.:(
One must be blind not to accept the fact that El Capitan still has and causes very often many unresolved problems.
It shouldn't be expected from Apple, a company so many of us admire, but one must acknowledge they are from this point of view presently not different than Microsoft, Adobe and all others.
Maybe it's the price for becoming huge. :rolleyes:
Ed

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands

I can only speak for myself for what it might be worth... or worthless.
I personally always deeply regretted when I didn't follow the old saying "NEVER TOUCH A RUNNING SYSTEM". :(

(...) and don't forget "DON'T CHANGE A WINNING TEAM!" :rolleyes:

I'm very glad I'm holding my horses on upgrading, until I read some really good reviews about El Cappy!

No way you can revert your OS back to the safehaven? Good luck mate...

Cheers

Reactions: Riwam

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2013
Heart of Mordor
Well this is the second time today I've had to shut down and cold start. UTorrent won't force quit or close at all.

First release of El Capitan had bunch of leaks in mDNSResponder vicinity, it almost halted the system after some heavy UDP/TCP traffic (this is what uTorrent does behind the scene).

Today's beta is definitely an improvement - it is almost as stable as Yosemite was in that regard.

Also it seems that you're hitting a bug in uTorrent as well, it waits to free sockets or something...

LukeWorm

macrumors member
May 8, 2010
France
I was not able to install today's 10.11.2 Public Beta 5. "... could not be verified" it said after the restart and no update installed. Tried twice.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)

I upgraded my 2011 iMac from Mavericks to El Cap last month, and within a week was scrambling to fall back to Mavericks. It would be nice if Apple would just slow down and make all the important moving parts in one of these major upgrades work before moving on to the next. More emojis I do NOT need.

smotania

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
Boston, MA, USA
for some reason, after update to beta 5 my utorrent clinet just wont start. Tried to remove all the associated files and reinstall it. Also tried to install previous version and it wont work its really really frustrating, anyone with similar or the same problem ?

edit: The same problems occurred with Microsoft Word and Excel which were working the day before the update.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

djanni

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2015

NO. It's not worth it. If your system is running good I wouldn't mess with it. I haven't seen any reason or new features that make me glad I updated, only frustration.

rUmbuyGum

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2015
North Bay California
NO. It's not worth it. If your system is running good I wouldn't mess with it. I haven't seen any reason or new features that make me glad I updated, only frustration.

Well...I just installed El Cap over Mavericks on my early 2008 Mac Pro.....Mavericks was getting unstable.
A total of four hours later, El Cap has been running smooth as glass. About a month ago I installed El Cap over Yosemite on my late 2008 17" MacBook pro, 8 gb ram...like-wise no drama. Every Operating system up grade, in my experience, has presented its challenges...Somehow we get over the learning curve...Then pine for the older upgrades when the new one has aged long enough to risk the change-over..
Aloha,

oneshotpro

Suspended
Aug 13, 2014
Can't eject external server, thus iMac won't shut off. Logout doesn't do anything. Have to force shutdown with the button everytime. OSX is the new windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.