Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

votdfak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Good that this message has below the information of hardware affected.
Since bugs are clearly not the same in different setups, the more precisely the hardware and components are mentioned in the post, the more useful that info is for other readers. :)
Unfortunately many people ignore such a clear fact. :oops:
ALWAYS include YOUR HARDWARE either below or inside the post TOGETHER WITH THE BUG, PLEASE! o_O
Ed

Hardware is in my signature... After 10.11.2 update wifi is dropping like crazy, it's not the wifi router, because iPhone 6+ is not dropping wifi at all, it's clearly OSX.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I finally got around to updating from Yosemite to 10.11.2 today. Strange it took this long for me since I ran the Public Beta of it. :p

I did both Mac's, the MacBook Pro and the Mac Mini. I've already seen Tweetbot crash, a lot, and Messages crash several times. This is not fun, and it's on both Mac's and I have all the latest updates for Tweetbot and OS X.
I'm restoring back to Yosemite now on the MacBook Pro. Always glad I keep current backups.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I'm restoring back to Yosemite now on the MacBook Pro. Always glad I keep current backups.
##################
Keeping backups seems to be vital in this New-OSX story.
It always was, but now it is not just a matter of backing up files but of backing up the whole system with all the software as well!!! ;)
To restore is the most popular word nowadays.

Very strange however that different macs with different setups show different bugs.
If one goes over a certain number of posts in this forum, it's quite a mistery that what seems to work OK for one user (in his/her setup and with his/her computer) does not work at all for other users with different setups and Macs.
:(
I have not enough technical knowledge to understand it and simply ask myself if the same happens with users of new Linux distributions or with users of the new Windows 10 ???? :rolleyes:
Ed

ruarmani

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2015
I have upgraded my Late 2013 MP Retina and has not been able access my USB DVD Superdrive since!!! El Capitan is De- capitan.
Ha, all my USB/Firewire ports stopped responding after 10.11.2 update. I can see any device in system report, but not in finder or disk utility. Strangely enough my iPhone gets recognized no problem. I wonder when proper OS is going to be available.

Reactions: George Dawes

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Ha, all my USB/Firewire ports stopped responding after 10.11.2 update. I can see any device in system report, but not in finder or disk utility. Strangely enough my iPhone gets recognized no problem. I wonder when proper OS is going to be available.
When reporting a problem you should indicate as well the hedware/Mac concerned. Not every problem is being reported as a general bug affecting all Macs.
If you want it useful for others you must either in your signature below or in the text of the post give all the information possible.
Ed

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
When reporting a problem you should indicate as well the hedware/Mac concerned. Not every problem is being reported as a general bug affecting all Macs.
If you want it useful for others you must either in your signature below or in the text of the post give all the information possible.
Ed

Adding the used hardware/OS in the signature is the best way to go, imho!

Cheers

SaxnFlutman

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
As I've read in every update since Snow Leopard, my current OS, it seems like they all start out super buggy, then after a number of updates, a little less so. Now, after what seemed an optimistic beginning, it seems El Capitan is not doing so well for many users.
My question: I do need to upgrade to something, as too many of my apps have long ago ended being supported. What OS beyond Snow Leopard, is in your opinion, the most stable? Thanks....

Reactions: JamesPDX

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
As I've read in every update since Snow Leopard, my current OS, it seems like they all start out super buggy, then after a number of updates, a little less so. Now, after what seemed an optimistic beginning, it seems El Capitan is not doing so well for many users.
My question: I do need to upgrade to something, as too many of my apps have long ago ended being supported. What OS beyond Snow Leopard, is in your opinion, the most stable? Thanks....

Nothing is going to be better than 10.6.8 if your current set of apps is working to your liking. Moving out of 10.6.8 will break a lot of things software and other hardware. Your frustration will then result in you buying a new computer which will likely be pre-installed with an non-revertable version of El Capitan.

Don't disrupt you're workflow if it's working. If you need social media stuff, or relay a great deal on the internet, but a Chromebook on the side or use an iPad if you have one. 10.6.8 is a great OS for your machine. If you want to tinker, buy an external drive (FW400/800 if you have a spare lying around.) And monkey around with Mavericks. Skip Lion 10.7.x and Mountain Lion 10.8.x.

What's your work?

Reactions: cabbageman

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015

I agree with JamesPDX, if you have a solid workflow with 10.6.8 and newer versions won't provide any feature you need there is little reason to upgrade.

As for stability most likely Mavericks, maybe Mountain Lion depending on what software you use. Only reason I upgraded to Mavericks was software that I need requires it, otherwise I would still be on 10.6.8 because it's the best OS X version for my needs.

Reactions: JamesPDX

mohrt

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
When creating a case-sensitive image with disk utility, it creates the image but it is not case-sensitive. Creating from the command-line is the work around. I've searched for this bug online but have yet to find someone else reporting it. Anyone else confirm? It seems to have started happening with the El Capitan update.

[edit] I have submitted the bug to apple via bug reporter (23921219)

Last edited:

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
To SaxnFlutman

Why don't you try other OSX by yourself without any risk?
Virtual Machines may be slower but they tell you, first the style of work one has to accept in that particular OS and second it will show you the software and other connected devices like printers or scanners which might not work in that OS.
You can use Fusion or Parallels in a version accepting to run in your machine and if there is not enough room in your mac you can install virtual machines in an external drive.
You will easely find in the web both Fusion and Parallels and a virtual machine is just a file and can be erased whenever you want it.
In that way you can find out without risking your present working system if some newer OS is worth upgrading.
Ed

Last edited:

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Just question, on PDF blurred fonts. Any of you already have workaround? I tried to disable font smoothing but still not as clear as in Mavericks. Thanks!

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
AFTER 10.11.2, computer would not sleep, after going through all of the routines (SMC, PRAM, reboots, unplugging hard drives) it finally goes to sleep....Only to wake (dark) every 5 minutes (RTC alarm). Disabling power nap stops this.

another vote for El Crapitan

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Just question, on PDF blurred fonts. Any of you already have workaround? I tried to disable font smoothing but still not as clear as in Mavericks. Thanks!
Anyone? I am tired looking the blurred fonts in pdf (I read lot of ebook) and thinking to restore back to Mavericks due to this.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
AFTER 10.11.2, computer would not sleep, after going through all of the routines (SMC, PRAM, reboots, unplugging hard drives) it finally goes to sleep....Only to wake (dark) every 5 minutes (RTC alarm). Disabling power nap stops this.

another vote for El Crapitan

Yeah, but how 'bout that wallpaper and the new emoji? :mad:

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
Is it only me or other people are also having wifi issues? I just can't fix it, I googled the issue and did several things that was suggested and still having wifi issues, I have to restart my mbp for it to work again, what the hell is causing this?

jgrove

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2006
USB Ports on iMac 27 5k Late 2015 Broken...again in 10.11.3 they worked fine following the final release of 10.11.2

Can anyone suggest a way to get 10.11.2 back over the 10.11.3 beta (without time machine)?

I need my USB ports working properly!

Thanks

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
USB Ports on iMac 27 5k Late 2015 Broken...again in 10.11.3 they worked fine following the final release of 10.11.2

Can anyone suggest a way to get 10.11.2 back over the 10.11.3 beta (without time machine)?

I need my USB ports working properly!

Thanks
I make myself a lot of mistakes all the time so don't take it personally.
I don't intend to tell you I am a smart person... since I am not smart:oops:.

However Apple warns not to use their betas in any system needed for work.
One should try therefore betas only in (for instance) a cloned external drive, not to find onesellf in the situation you are now.
But of course, that is not the answer to your problem. :(
Sorry.
Ed

jgrove

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2006
I make myself a lot of mistakes all the time so don't take it personally.
I don't intend to tell you I am a smart person... since I am not smart:oops:.

However Apple warns not to use their betas in any system needed for work.
One should try therefore betas only in (for instance) a cloned external drive, not to find onesellf in the situation you are now.
But of course, that is not the answer to your problem. :(
Sorry.
Ed

Yes fully aware of that, however they fixed the issues in 10.11.2 so why break them again!

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Yes fully aware of that, however they fixed the issues in 10.11.2 so why break them again!

If you have the patience to read many posts of different users of OSX 10.11 you will soon see that every update causes new "issues", depending on the hard and software of that particular user who reported it.
It should most probably take quite a time (and several updates more!) until the quantity of "issues" reported drops significantly and El Capitan runs in most machines and with most applications reasonably stable.
:(
Of course you see and suffer from "your issues", but a more generai look shows the great diversity of them.
That doesn't help you, I know, but it is nevertheless (unfortunately) the true present state. :oops:
If it is not "this issue", then it is "that issue".
Such is life :rolleyes:
Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.