Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

OldGreyGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2014
Near Brisbane, Australia
I am feeling guilty, I upgraded to El Capitan and was annoyed as the system seemed to be non-deterministic when using my Trackpad, sometimes a double tap seemed to be a single tap and I was having trouble selecting an option in the finder, for example, renaming files instead of opening them.

Thought it may have something to do with the new code for the force-click features in the new touchpad and was getting frustrated, I may have had some uncharitable thoughts about the stability of the code and the marital status of the developer's parents, then I noticed that the same problem was happening with my Logitech MX Anywhere mouse (old reliable) and checked out the double-speed setting for the mouse and noticed it was now set to the fastest setting, backed it off and now the trackpad and mouse are working perfectly.

Now if only XtraFinder worked properly and it didn't seem to have a crash every few days......

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Finally got around to updating to EC yesterday and the upgrade was very smooth. But when opening mail, I noticed that my iCloud aliases were missing. A big deal since the default was the old .me domain email. Editing aliases didn't work--edit screen would freeze and not allow any changes that involved iCloud domains. I originally signed in to iCloud via the install helper and evidently mail did not update properly. So I signed out of iCloud and removed all the iCloud functions, then signed back in and restored all iCloud functions, and the aliases returned. So far the only bug I've encountered. Probably in this thread somewhere but figured I would add it here.

sticko

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
When creating filters to redirect email in Mail 9.2, the receiving party will get broken encoding email. Apparently Content-Transfer-Encoding was somehow removed by Mail. You will get email something like this:

This afternoon, Apple reports earnings for the last quarter of 2015 (the fi=
rst quarter of its FY 2016). It's the company's most important earnings rep=
ort in years. 
Analysts are expecting the com=20
<http://e.businessinsider.com/click/5985147.4128/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5idXNpbmVzc2=
luc2lkZXIuY29tL2FwcGxlLWlwaG9uZS1ncm93dGgtYnktcXVhcnRlci0yMDE2LTE_bnJfZW1ha=
WxfcmVmZXJlcj0xJnV0bV9jb250ZW50PUNPVEQmdXRtX21lZGl1bT1lbWFpbCZ1dG1fc291cmNl=
PVNhaWx0aHJ1/55dbc74127fdb02a4a8b4a36E17092efd> Apple has been here before,=
and it recovered just fine <http://e.businessinsider.com/click/5985147.412=
8/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5idXNpbmVzc2luc2lkZXIuY29tL2FwcGxlLWlwaG9uZS1ncm93dGgtYnktc=

XVhcnRlci0yMDE2LTE_bnJfZW1haWxfcmVmZXJlcj0xJnV0bV9jb250ZW50PUNPVEQmdXRtX21l=
ZGl1bT1lbWFpbCZ1dG1fc291cmNlPVNhaWx0aHJ1/55dbc74127fdb02a4a8b4a36F17092efd>=
This afternoon, Apple reports earnings for the last quarter of 2015 (the f=
irst quarter of its FY 2016). It's the company's <a target=3D"_blank" href=
=3D"http://e.businessinsider.com/click/5985147.4128/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5idXNpbmV=
zc2luc2lkZXIuY29tL2FwcGxlLWVhcm5pbmdzLXByZXZpZXctMjAxNi0xIj91dG1fY29udGVudD=
1DT1REJnV0bV9tZWRpdW09ZW1haWwmdXRtX3NvdXJjZT1TYWlsdGhydSZucl9lbWFpbF9yZWZlc=
mVyPTE/55dbc74127fdb02a4a8b4a36B5309ed48>most important earnings report in =
years.</a>&nbsp;
<br/><br/>Analysts are expecting the company to announce sales of 75.5 mill=
ion iPhones. That would be growth of only 1.4% since last year's quarter, t=
he lowest rate of growth ever.
<br/><br/>As this chart from <a target=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://e.busines=
sinsider.com/click/5985147.4128/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zdGF0aXN0YS5jb20vIj91dG1fY29=
udGVudD1DT1REJnV0bV9tZWRpdW09ZW1haWwmdXRtX3NvdXJjZT1TYWlsdGhydSZucl9lbWFpbF=
9yZWZlcmVyPTE/55dbc74127fdb02a4a8b4a36B413e3288>Statista</a> shows, Apple h=
as been in a similar situation before. Growth in the last quarter of 2013 (=
Q1 '14 here, as these are fiscal quarters) was similarly low, as&nbsp;consu=
mers didn't see enough new bells and whistles in the iPhone 5S compared wit=
h the iPhone 5. Meanwhile, a lot of consumers were favoring&nbsp;larger-scr=
eened phones from Samsung and other Android phone makers.&nbsp;
<br/><br/>What happened next? Apple released the slightly larger iPhone 6 a=
nd very large iPhone 6 Plus in late 2014. Sales skyrocketed, Samsung was va=
nquished, and the company's stock nearly doubled from January 2014 to the m=
iddle of 2015.
<br/><br/> Read =C2=BB <http://e.businessinsider.com/click/5985147.4128/aHR=
0cDovL3d3dy5idXNpbmVzc2luc2lkZXIuY29tL2FwcGxlLWlwaG9uZS1ncm93dGgtYnktcXVhcn=
Rlci0yMDE2LTE_bnJfZW1haWxfcmVmZXJlcj0xJnV0bV9jb250ZW50PUNPVEQmdXRtX21lZGl1b=
T1lbWFpbCZ1dG1fc291cmNlPVNhaWx0aHJ1/55dbc74127fdb02a4a8b4a36G17092efd>

qap

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Italy
Email notes with images and texts results in a bit weird formatting on the mail message :D (fix is copy the note and paste in a new mail)
Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 21.07.38.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 21.07.59.png

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Universal Audio soundcards do not work at all with 10.11.4 beta. Beware.

Same with Roland (Octa-Capture at least). Despite they released new drivers for El Capitan, it will just pop out and stop all the sounds until the sound card is reseted.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
Sorry if this has been mentioned already on here but there's a lot of posts to read through. Anyway, I've just upgraded to El Capitan and have noticed that there is an awful stutter opening images in preview. In previous OS's the 'animation' opening the image 'expanding' from thumbnail to full screen would be nice and smooth, however now it opens/enlarges a bit, stutters, enlarges a bit more then stutters, before fully enlarging/opening. OK, so it's far from the end of the world but it is annoying and wondered if this was a known bug on El C, or whether something's gone wrong with my upgrade?

I'm on a late 2011 MBP with 2.2GHz i& processor, 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD

CamilleDG

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2012
I'm not sure if this is still an unresolved bug, but I continue to get "Safari can't the find server" prompts and other errors. Refreshing doesn't help; I usually have to quit Safari to access the pages. Chrome loads all of them just fine. I've tried resetting my router to factory settings, and even doing a clean install of El Capitan. Any other suggestions? TIA!

ehxeUGF.png

vOWDx1Z.png

Reactions: cabbageman

howiest

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2015
Left Coast
I'm not sure if this is still an unresolved bug, but I continue to get "Safari can't the find server" prompts and other errors. Refreshing doesn't help; I usually have to quit Safari to access the pages. Chrome loads all of them just fine. I've tried resetting my router to factory settings, and even doing a clean install of El Capitan. Any other suggestions? TIA!

There are 2 things that may or may not apply to your problem, but are certainly worth trying.

One is to try different DNS settings via the Network pref pane. You can try using OpenDNS or Google for example.

And the other is to change the wifi channel on your router. If neighbouring networks are using the same channel it can really reduce the performance of your internet access. It's especially so in a condo or apartment environment. An app like Wi-Fi Explorer can help you see the surrounding channels, so that you can change yours to a more unique channel.

Sleepyshibe

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
Chicago
Stuck using discrete graphics in 10.11.4 public beta 2 regardless of "Automatic graphics switching."

Anybody else seeing this?

CamilleDG

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2012
There are 2 things that may or may not apply to your problem, but are certainly worth trying.

One is to try different DNS settings via the Network pref pane. You can try using OpenDNS or Google for example.

And the other is to change the wifi channel on your router. If neighbouring networks are using the same channel it can really reduce the performance of your internet access. It's especially so in a condo or apartment environment. An app like Wi-Fi Explorer can help you see the surrounding channels, so that you can change yours to a more unique channel.
Will try these out. Thanks!

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
So i did a clean install of el capitan today and i found some problems already:
Bluetooth: Can send but not receive ( tried all the possible solutions, but none worked)
Colours: Not sure if its just me but i do find that they are way more plain after i upgraded from maverick (Color LCD)
Log in after turn on: after i log in my password i have to wait 2 minutes ( i didn't have to wait before).

macbook pro retina mid 2014

• Colors: Did you have a custom color profile installed on Mavericks? You could have calibrated your display, or installed some software that changes your default color profile, or simply clicked another color profile at some point on your old system. Then you may have gotten used to that. Since you did a clean install, you will have lost this setting, causing the colors to look different. Could this be the reason?
  • 2 minute wait after password: Are you aware that El Capitan enables File Vault by default, without asking? If you didn't uncheck that during installation, you probably have File Vault enabled, which means you have to type in your password before boot, rather than after boot and before login. The total time from power on to login should be about the same as before though, the only difference is that you type in your password first, and then wait, rather than the other way around.

Maybe you know all this, but just in case you didn't...
[doublepost=1454499549][/doublepost]
safari freezes... quite ridiculous.

I'm having Safari freeze randomly for random amounts of time. So much that the only thing that responds is the mouse movement. No clicking, no buttons, no Activity Monitor, no Force Quit, no closing the lid, no nothing. Sometimes it lasts 20-40 seconds, sometimes I have to do a hard reset. It seems to happen when changing tabs or closing/opening tabs. Not quite sure. I'm sure it has happened while Safari wasn't even running though. This is quite a serious issue and it's been around since 10.11.0 for me. Now at 10.11.3, and it's still there.

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
  • Colors: Did you have a custom color profile installed on Mavericks? You could have calibrated your display, or installed some software that changes your default color profile, or simply clicked another color profile at some point on your old system. Then you may have gotten used to that. Since you did a clean install, you will have lost this setting, causing the colors to look different. Could this be the reason?
  • 2 minute wait after password: Are you aware that El Capitan enables File Vault by default, without asking? If you didn't uncheck that during installation, you probably have File Vault enabled, which means you have to type in your password before boot, rather than after boot and before login. The total time from power on to login should be about the same as before though, the only difference is that you type in your password first, and then wait, rather than the other way around.
Maybe you know all this, but just in case you didn't...
[doublepost=1454499549][/doublepost]

I'm having Safari freeze randomly for random amounts of time. So much that the only thing that responds is the mouse movement. No clicking, no buttons, no Activity Monitor, no Force Quit, no closing the lid, no nothing. Sometimes it lasts 20-40 seconds, sometimes I have to do a hard reset. It seems to happen when changing tabs or closing/opening tabs. Not quite sure. I'm sure it has happened while Safari wasn't even running though. This is quite a serious issue and it's been around since 10.11.0 for me. Now at 10.11.3, and it's still there.

Yeah I'm thinking of downgrading and coverting all my notes to evernote for this reason.

The safari support is atrocious and in all honesty I've lost a lot of faith in apple for just how ****** their native web client can be for what should be a premium OS and experience.

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
Once every 6-8 months I always nuke my HD and install a fresh copy of OSX.. Is it safe to use El Capitan now or should I stick with Yosemite for the time being?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Once every 6-8 months I always nuke my HD and install a fresh copy of OSX.. Is it safe to use El Capitan now or should I stick with Yosemite for the time being?

Stick with Yosemite. El Capitan is exactly like Yosemite except it has more bugs and is far less stable. I'd just skip this one and wait for at least 10.12.3.

Reactions: cabbageman

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
Stick with Yosemite. El Capitan is exactly like Yosemite except it has more bugs and is far less stable. I'd just skip this one and wait for at least 10.12.3.
I was actually gonna downgrade back to Mavericks.. I really can't stand how Yosemite eats up my ram for no apparent reason and being that I'm a video editor, the last thing I need is something eating up my ram.

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
I thought I would hate El Cap but had to get it with my new iMac. No choice in the matter.

I actually don't mind it and not having problems.

So there! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.