Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Phoenixx

Suspended
Jul 3, 2015
I've got to the point where I've almost had it completely with OS X. I use computers A LOT. My machines are powered up at 9 am in the morning, I work through till 3pm, and then start again at 6 pm and work to midnight (regular 12 hour days). This is happening 6 days a week, and I'm usually gaming on my day off. Almost every day there is some kind of glitch with OS X, and it is beginning to get tedious. This is the sort of behaviour I used to get from Windows, and was one of the major reasons I switched to the Mac in the first place!

By contrast, Windows has become a lot more reliable, and with Windows 10 has even got to the point where it is easier to use than Mac OS X! The situation is becoming ridiculous; what the heck happened to intuitive design, high build quality and reliability? Apple really need to get their sh*t together!

Last edited:

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Can you give some examples of the glitches? The one and only problem that persists for me is that Photoshop is really, really slow on all my computers. It's kinda understandable on the Air or 2011 iMac, but not so much on the i7 Hackintosh. BEEEAAACHHHBALLLL!!!!

Reactions: Batt4Christ

Phoenixx

Suspended
Jul 3, 2015
In the last few days I've had: USB flash drives that have to be plugged in twice to get them recognised (regular bug), wi fi disconnects (regular bug), files that wouldn't save, two totally random program crashes (Parallels and Scrivener), numerous finder restarts, random screen disconnects (screen goes off and then comes back), and the regular reorganising of the widgets in my notification centre (regular bug). Today I tried to change my desktop picture, and was disgusted when that didn't work either, and I had to work around the bugs. Going back a bit further I had my Mac lock up completely last week, and need to be given a hard reset (turn off the power), I've had shutdowns that take ages, and have had regular occurrences of the machine reloading all the last used programs, even when the option is not selected. These occurrences are not limited to my iMac, but also happen on my Macbook Pro.

So much for "It just works."

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I startup this morning, and the dock is on the other monitor. I can't get it back. Now I have it back on the apparently secondary (larger) monitor, but it's so small I can hardly see it. It's taking up less than half the width, and it's less than half as tall!

I've gone through the Dock Sys Pref app, and nothing has changed, except the size of the Dock, and my patience...

afluriach

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2016
I have had a lot of issues using 10.11, and in indeed it seemed like each minor release from 11.1 to 11.3 introduced more of them.

I've had issues with apps like VLC no longer able to block sleep, my Mac would sleep after just 3 minutes, despite the power setting, slower boot up time, hanging during Time Machine backups.

But ever since installing 11.4, all of this has ben fixed.

jaygeem

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2015
My USB3.0 drive connected to an Inateck KT5002 still disconnects & remounts randomly. There has been some minor improvements with each release to 11.4, but it still isn't fixed.

Phoenixx

Suspended
Jul 3, 2015
My USB3.0 drive connected to an Inateck KT5002 still disconnects & remounts randomly. There has been some minor improvements with each release to 11.4, but it still isn't fixed.
I gave up on having my two external drives connected to a USB 3.0 hub. I've now got them connected through USB 2. It's the only way to stop the constant disconnects. I might add that if I connect them to a Windows machine THROUGH THE SAME USB 3.0 HUB, they work perfectly. The truly pathetic part here is that Apple gives you 4 USB 3.0 ports on a modern desktop computer, and only 2 on a laptop. That's just ridiculous in 2016. It means that hubs are essential. I have four: two with seven ports (which are both full), and two with 4 (half full) My Windows desktop, by contrast was built in 2011, has TEN USB 2.0 ports, and 2 USB 3.0 ones (a total of 12 altogether).

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I know, but it confused me for at least half an hour. "Printer is not connected". I googled and found no answers that worked until it occurred to me to look into whether sharing on the other iMac is set properly.

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Downgraded to yosemite. My user experience is perfect again.

I'm extremely wary to ever upgrade OS X now. El Capitan was that bad.

Frequent Crashes/Freezes/Slowdown on a stock and most used application (safari) on a <1 year old new model laptop is UNACCEPTABLE.

nomugs

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
Is anyone having a problem where system preferences doesn't take into account whatever the "energy saver" options are and just puts on a screensaver? I have screensaver specifically set to never be on and dispaly to turn off after 10 minutes, however I keep coming back to my computer several hours later to find it on the screensaver!! So weird and annoying.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
I haven't had this come up before but when I'm playing a movie on 10.11.4 if i plug in or unplug the charger to my MacBook Pro, the display flickers a bit. Anyone else experiencing this. Want to know if this is a bug or hardware

Antonnn

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2016
I started a thread that has already over 17.000 views on this forum about the random system wide freezes that happen in OS X 10.11.4, ever since we upgraded to it we have this weird freeze that is completely random, usually in Safari (probably because it's the top app used by the average mac user, sometimes exclusively).

We can't draw apple's attention on this but you can see how nasty this is if you go ahead and read this.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...an-10-11-4-system-wide-safari-freeze.1963711/

You can also watch these two videos to see it in action, we'll definitely add more soon.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
I haven't had this come up before but when I'm playing a movie on 10.11.4 if i plug in or unplug the charger to my MacBook Pro, the display flickers a bit. Anyone else experiencing this. Want to know if this is a bug or hardware

For anyone interested I had this issue with both Vlc and QuickTime. I booted my computer again and it was still skipping. I then booted it in safe mode, and while videos didn't work in safe mode, I restarted as normal and now the videos are playing properly again when I plug in or unplug the charger

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I started a thread that has already over 17.000 views on this forum about the random system wide freezes that happen in OS X 10.11.4, ever since we upgraded to it we have this weird freeze that is completely random, usually in Safari (probably because it's the top app used by the average mac user, sometimes exclusively).
I can confirm this also happens in 10.11.5 beta 1, haven't had enough time to check if beta 2 fixed it (it happened after 3 days without reboot on beta 1, so it's not really that easy to check).

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Is anyone having a problem where system preferences doesn't take into account whatever the "energy saver" options are and just puts on a screensaver? I have screensaver specifically set to never be on and dispaly to turn off after 10 minutes, however I keep coming back to my computer several hours later to find it on the screensaver!! So weird and annoying.

With the screen on?

I noticed on mine that the screen would go blank, but the first thing I saw when I woke it up was the screensaver for a brief instant. It's as if the screen saver was running, on a blacked out screen, while it was supposed to be 'asleep', which didn't make any sense at all... I figured that it was benign, but odd...

Why the heck would the screensaver screen be up on a system that had a display 'sleeping'. And, I wonder now, would it be using more battery time in that case. Hmm...

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
Downgraded to yosemite. My user experience is perfect again.

I'm extremely wary to ever upgrade OS X now. El Capitan was that bad.

Frequent Crashes/Freezes/Slowdown on a stock and most used application (safari) on a <1 year old new model laptop is UNACCEPTABLE.
I'm still on Yosemite 10.10.5, and I am having regular problems with Safari that only started in the last month or two (not sure). Many, many page links I click will crash the browser...incredibly annoying. We're talking Amazon, Daily KOS, even Apples itunes book preview pages! But it isn't the websites, because they all open just fine in Chrome and Firefox. And neither one of those crashes...ever.

Oh, and in case you're wondering - I have and use ONE browser extension: 1Password -- which I have disabled to see if that was the problem. Nope.

I just don't understand how Apple can allow their software to devolve to this degree of unsuitability and instability!

I have deleted the cache and followed someone's advice to delete every except for the plist file in my safari preferences folder. That made no difference.

I'm at the point where I begin to consider (shudder) Windows for my next computer. And the crash reports which Apple receives - one assumes they actually log them and take action! Yet not even a hint that there is a problem.

If ANYONE can advise me as to a course of action to fix safari, I'd welcome it. I am afraid that 'upgrading' to 10.11 will only uncover new and possibly more deadly problems.

Reactions: George Dawes

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I'm still on Yosemite 10.10.5, and I am having regular problems with Safari that only started in the last month or two (not sure). Many, many page links I click will crash the browser...incredibly annoying. We're talking Amazon, Daily KOS, even Apples itunes book preview pages! But it isn't the websites, because they all open just fine in Chrome and Firefox. And neither one of those crashes...ever.

Oh, and in case you're wondering - I have and use ONE browser extension: 1Password -- which I have disabled to see if that was the problem. Nope.

I just don't understand how Apple can allow their software to devolve to this degree of unsuitability and instability!

I have deleted the cache and followed someone's advice to delete every except for the plist file in my safari preferences folder. That made no difference.

I'm at the point where I begin to consider (shudder) Windows for my next computer. And the crash reports which Apple receives - one assumes they actually log them and take action! Yet not even a hint that there is a problem.

If ANYONE can advise me as to a course of action to fix safari, I'd welcome it. I am afraid that 'upgrading' to 10.11 will only uncover new and possibly more deadly problems.

Use Firefox...

EDIT: Safari has gotten better, but I prefer FireFox. The early days of Safari kind of burned me out with the drama using it...

Last edited:

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010

I'd just re-install or try a new browser.

I've reinstalled and its worked wonderfully. El Capitan I don't think I will EVER touch again. My experience was awful. I'm slightly pissed off that my notes are "upgraded"so don't sync with my MBP so I've just switched to evernote.

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
I'd just re-install or try a new browser.

I've reinstalled and its worked wonderfully. El Capitan I don't think I will EVER touch again. My experience was awful. I'm slightly pissed off that my notes are "upgraded"so don't sync with my MBP so I've just switched to evernote.
I found some good guidance from other people with this problem -- and after some 'safe' boots to determine interferences etc, as well as removal and regeneration of various Safari Library files, I finally found a font issue and then using font book checked and deleted (or disabled) several fonts which rated as 'corrupt'. Though they did seem to work just fine. I actually kept one of the fonts suggested to be discarded because I use it all the time and I need it. My Safari issue was resolved with the deletion of the other fonts. So, the problem is gone. But I had thought that maybe a reinstallation of Safari would have been the next step -- only I don't know how to do that without reinstalling ALL of OS X.

But, thanks for the advice. Also -- I have not upgraded from 10.10.5 Yosemite because of all of the BAD reviews and seemingly ongoing problems many people have with 10.11. I use my mac for work daily, and I cannot afford to have a non-working or troublesome computer!

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
I've got to the point where I've almost had it completely with OS X. I use computers A LOT. My machines are powered up at 9 am in the morning, I work through till 3pm, and then start again at 6 pm and work to midnight (regular 12 hour days). This is happening 6 days a week, and I'm usually gaming on my day off. Almost every day there is some kind of glitch with OS X, and it is beginning to get tedious. This is the sort of behaviour I used to get from Windows, and was one of the major reasons I switched to the Mac in the first place!

By contrast, Windows has become a lot more reliable, and with Windows 10 has even got to the point where it is easier to use than Mac OS X! The situation is becoming ridiculous; what the heck happened to intuitive design, high build quality and reliability? Apple really need to get their sh*t together!

Here's someone who don't seem to agree with you on the reliability of Windows 10: #211

I also use computers a lot (work as a ”PC/Mac Support” guy at a big office with many users of both Windows and OS X) and I don't agree that OS X is that unreliable as you say. Of course things aren't perfect, but hardly as bad as some here think.

Also curios about what it is you think makes Windows 10 easier to use than OS X? I like Windows 10 overall too, but still curios…
[doublepost=1463647754][/doublepost]
Use Firefox...

EDIT: Safari has gotten better, but I prefer FireFox. The early days of Safari kind of burned me out with the drama using it...

Can't stand the truncated Windows style pop-up menus of Firefox. :)
Look at how it behaves when changing language on https://www.wikipedia.org (there in the text input filed) compared to Safari/Chrome/Opera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.