Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Once every 6-8 months I always nuke my HD and install a fresh copy of OSX.. Is it safe to use El Capitan now or should I stick with Yosemite for the time being?

After a first unlucky upgrade and return to Yosemite for a serious bug (my updated mac didn't let me shut the system down) :eek: I had to make a so called "clean install" of El Capitan, which made unavoidable to reinstall as well each software, of course those compatible with El Capitan, which are practically all those which work with Yosemite in my experience.

The new BootCamp didn't let me install Windows for unknown reasons :eek:, so I had temporarily to reinstall Yosemite and when Windows was installed, clone back El Capitan after erasing the temporary Yosemite.

Besides that and one or two applications not possible to use or needing to be updated (or worse, bought!:eek:), I haven't had any particular problem since upgrading half a year ago, but my computer is not used for professional, money-earning purposes but just for general use.

El Capitan works for me more or less like Yosemite. No particular bugs I might have noticed but neither a once in a life experience. :rolleyes:

Many people complain about bugs in El Capitan in different threads in this forum but you will find as many complaining about Yosemite bugs.
If you go over many posts, you see that every OSX since Snow Leopard and even before it, has people who loved it (and many still use it) and others who hate it and find it terrible. :confused:
Therefore the experience of others won't help you to decide.

The best way to find your own way is to clone your entire system to an external bootable drive and upgrade that clone instead of your main drive.
It might be slower because being external, particularly if it is a USB 2 drive or Firewire drive (and not a Thunderbolt) but if you accept in advance that unavoidable slower function, you will find out if you and your software feels better in El Capitan than in Yosemite.
If your experience is not convincing, you lose nothing, since it is just an external clone, and if you like it, then you can upgrade your main system, either as an update, if possible, or as a clean install as I had to do. ;)
Ed

Last edited:

tulpenhaus

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2016
Open any window (eg. a new finder window).
Now press Shift, ctrl and the up-arrow at the same time to invoke Mission Control.

It results in a super slo-mo animation.

edit: The same thing happens with the down-arrow for App Exposé.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Open any window (eg. a new finder window).
Now press Shift, ctrl and the up-arrow at the same time to invoke Mission Control.

It results in a super slo-mo animation.

edit: The same thing happens with the down-arrow for App Exposé.

That isn't a bug. Even on Snow Leopard (and probably previous) pressing the shift key whist minimising a window (etc) creates a slow motion animation. Not sure what the purpose is, but it isn't a bug.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
why even with the latest update Apple can't fix the minor issue with the facetime on osx?
i miss a facetime audio call, i go see who it was, close the facetime app and still the badge with 1 miss calls there, unless im going and see the video call as well

You are the One

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2014
In the present
Seems there still are USB issues. I have an Anderson powered USB 3 hub and a LaCie Rugged 1 TB disk connected to it. After upgrading to 10.11.4. that disk isn't recognised unless I stick it into one of the computer ports directly.

My Traktor Z1 and X1 works fine from the hub though. Haven't had any disconnect issues since earlier 10.11 versions, going to let them run for some hours to see all is well on that front. Boom!

Keyboard and mouse works fine through the hub as well. And the printer.

PabIoEscobar

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2016
Germany
Look at the menubar time label - each when the time goes from XX:X0 to XX:X1 (for example 12:00 to 12:01) then the left hand menubar shifts to the left or right on pixel. It doesn't happen for all elapsing minutes, but for many as the font doesn't have an equal width for each number... I really do not like this shift.

Other than that - 10.11.4 is the worst release yet on my MB Pro non retina 2012. While writing and doing other trivial tasks i get a beachball quite often. Beta 6 was amazing smooth but since beta 7 it drives me crazy.

I have reinstalled my os completely, but it doesn't help at all.

OurDarkness

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2014
Greece
When previewing an audio file for the second time using Preview, the start of the file sounds faded-in. A minor issue but it needs to be addressed nevertheless.

ShikariMR

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2015
OSX10,11,4 had just landed in UK and on my iMac. First day of it looks as though some lashings have come undone and stuff is crashing around loose in the hold. More drop outs in one hour than the previous two months.

MarkAreJohnston

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2015
This issue seems to be presistent on alot of 3rd party apps I’ve tried since installing this DP. Annoying but will probably be fixed in the next update, already sent the crash information via the Feedback app.

w18j5u.jpg

I'm seeing this all over on my 2011 MBP. Photos is unusable, where the full-size image is only legible at certain zoom values. The image data is there, but the video buffer is a mess.

ShikariMR

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2015
Took a deep breath (and advice from elsewhere) and made a 'safe mode' restart. Thought I had blown the whiole thing (blank screens always make me fear the worst} , but after a longish delay up bobbed the brave little iMac. Seems to be some fluctuating in size of screen displays, but otherewise seems steadier.

On the big plus side, I keep discovering things this Mac has, or can do, that I did not know about.

SAL8116

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Florida
Seems they fix the t.co bug and the twitter bug that cause twitter to hang up. About freaking time Apple. Disgrace it took this long!!

ShikariMR

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2015
Could any senior Apple folk say if it is characteristic of such things as update El Capitan10.11.4 to then quietly grind away in the next few hours or day implementing all the changes involved so that these operations progressively become more effective as the process continues? It may seem like a dumb question, but I want to avoid any panic measures if the Capitan has the whole thing well under control.

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Notification Center still jumbles the order of all my stuff after a restart...... it's done this since its introduction.

ShikariMR

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2015
Saturday 26 Mrch and first two startups just went to endless grey screen 13 minutes, then 11. On third restart it all seems to have clicked albeit slowly, but I previously got the pop up that asks if I want ito operate Time Machine back up., reload OSX or select stafrt up disc (yet again) and restart.

izaac_cc

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016
Weird 10.11.4 bug affecting people with 12"MB that stops USB 3.0 storage devices from showing up at all. The problem goes away for a while if you restart the computer. I did an SMC reset, changed adapters, reinstalled the OS but it persisted. Took my MB into the genius bar yesterday who could see the issue on my computer but had no idea what was causing it. After looking around here and on the apple support threads saw a few other people facing the same issue. No word from apple how to fix. Back to 10.11.3 for now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.