Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

RobNorton

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014

Attachments

• Console output.txt
    152.5 KB · Views: 427

parrotgeek1

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2016
CA, USA
Still showing software rendering. I've attached the console log. Do your debugs appear in that?
Since I posted this I have figured out how to show an extremely large amount of debug information in these logs.

sudo nano /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer.plist

paste before the last </dict> (you will end up with 2 </dict>'s)

<key>EnvironmentVariables</key>
<dict>
<key>DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES_POST_LAUNCH</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>DYLD_PRINT_APIS</key>
<string>1</string>
</dict>

it goes to system.log in console, you should send that log to me after reboot

Last edited:

RobNorton

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014
Since I posted this I have figured out how to show an extremely large amount of debug information in these logs.

sudo nano /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer.plist

paste before the last </dict> (you will end up with 2 </dict>'s)

<key>EnvironmentVariables</key>
<dict>
<key>DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES_POST_LAUNCH</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>DYLD_PRINT_APIS</key>
<string>1</string>
</dict>

it goes to system.log in console, you should send that log to me after reboot

See if this is better at capturing debug messages.

Attachments

• Console debug output.txt
    88.3 KB · Views: 485

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
@be236 @dosdude1 @Czo

It looks like my X1600 patch might never work on 10.10+. Here's why.

In 10.9+, Core Image assumes that the GPU supports opengl 3.0 without actually checking for it. It has also removed the 2.1 fallback code.I was looking in the wrong place

In 10.9, I can get away with replacing libCGXCoreImage.A.dylib with a modified 10.8.5 version. But I think the API might have changed too much in 10.10+ for me to be able to make a working shim for the old library. (only 2 functions were added in 10.9)Doesn't work

I'm starting to think the crash is caused by something else easier to fix. I've asked be236 for crash logs

I wan't to run 10.9 firstly because of the TLS1.2 support in Safari.app. Can you send me the patch and describe what is patched? Works with inserting some blank functions/methods to the dylib to mitigate the missing symbol exports in 10.9+?

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
Here is my code, hacked up so the driver LOADS in 10.9 (before today, it never even loaded...)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8DiAFi2BTxvLTVWNXhLdXVtbTg/view?usp=sharing

ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver (the small one) is my shim dylib which loads/reexports ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver_real
ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver_real is the 10.7.5 ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver, but modified with a hex editor to be dylib type not bundle, so it can reexport functions
inj is a program that inserts LC_ID_DYLIB with the right path into ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver_real
apishim.c is a shim to implement private APIs removed in 10.9 that ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver *uses*. it becomes libGLProgrammabilityShim.dylib.
shim.c is a shim to implement 10.9 functions that OpenGL.framework expects ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver to implement. Sorry about the commented out chunks.
myloadertest.sh (and myloader) is a thing to see if the driver can be loaded (no undefined symbols) by just trying to dlopen it, and it prints errors.

It doesn't WORK in 10.9 or any version > 10.8 (yet???) because cglsCreateContext in coregraphics.framework fails.
(there is no message for this in 10.8 but 10.9 outputs
Jul 3 17:07:15 admins-iMac.local WindowServer[105]: initialize_display_context: no used index (1) or context creation failed - disabling OpenGL)
^ search in hopper for disabling OpenGL under strings tab
I would *guess* it's trying to create an OpenGL 3 context, but I can't tell because I don't know much x86 assembly and Hopper's pseudocode mode outputs unreadable nonsense for a lot of the cglsXXX functions because they call functions by pointers obtained earlier by dlsym.

To test it, run make.sh then copy ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver, ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver_real_patched, and libGLProgrammabilityShim.dylib into ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS. Good luck!

Thanks, i check it in the weekend.

parrotgeek1

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2016
CA, USA
Thanks, i check it in the weekend.
I feel like I have hit the limit of my knowledge of x86 assembly. The problem is DEFINITELY inside OpenGL binary itself (replacing GLEngine from 10.7.5 does NOT fix it). Now I will try to instead fix the windowserver crash with 10.7.5 opengl.framework on 10.9.5. If you figure anything out let me know. I need to take a break.

parrotgeek1

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2016
CA, USA
I feel like I have hit the limit of my knowledge of x86 assembly. The problem is DEFINITELY inside OpenGL binary itself (replacing GLEngine from 10.7.5 does NOT fix it). Now I will try to instead fix the windowserver crash with 10.7.5 opengl.framework on 10.9.5. If you figure anything out let me know. I need to take a break.
I fixed the crash and can see login screen! but when you log in it crashes. and the pictures on sleep/restart/shutdown buttons are missing

I'm going to try 10.9 DP1 with 10.8 DP1 OpenGL.framework to see if it works better because DP1 is closer to ML

Reactions: pc297

parrotgeek1

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2016
CA, USA
I fixed the crash and can see login screen! but when you log in it crashes. and the pictures on sleep/restart/shutdown buttons are missing

I'm going to try 10.9 DP1 with 10.8 DP1 OpenGL.framework to see if it works better because DP1 is closer to ML
It does not. :-(

Maybe 10.9 is impossible because Core Animation uses OpenGL 3 in it.

EDIT: it's not, see parrotgeek.com/npf

Last edited:
Reactions: pc297

Peter_Klaver

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2017
I got Yosemite working on a 2008 white plastic MacBook. Excellent to be able to squeeze more life out of that old thing. MacPostFactor is a very nice project that I’m happy to make out a small bit of support to.

I have some questions about things that give me small problems. If anyone knows solutions for these, please post.

In Skype (v7.54) in the audio/video preferences section the video is showing, but in an actual Skype video call, both the incoming and outgoing video signals are blacked out. Is this part of the general video trouble or is there a fix? If there is no fix, would anyone know a video chat client that works under MPF-installed Yosemity (and preferably works cross-platform)?

Speaking of the video trouble, in earlier posts in this thread I read that Quicktime is one of few video programs that works, while VLC and several other video programs don’t. That was with older versions of MPF. Is it even worth trying to install VLC now with MPF2.0.1-installed Yosemite? Or ffmpegX, or Flip4Mac, or iMovie, or RealPlayer?

And I get (semi-)reproducible crashes in the situations below. Is anyone else experiencing those too, and if so is there a solution?

Safe boot (holding down shift while booting) makes the bootup process freeze up.

Having an external screen attached while booting crashes the boot process. I can attach an external screen once my MacBook is booted up.

Using hot corners in Mission Control to show the desktop/application windows/mission control occasionally makes the system crash. Same thing when I set function keys for that instead of using hot corners.

Switching between users when multiple users are logged in can lead to crashes too.

PokeAcer

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I've got myself a nice Late 2006 iMac, and I was able to install Yosemite successfully (El Capitan has issues but if I can't get that working soon I'll stick with Yosemite after this issue), however it's painfully slow; I cannot feasibly use the machine as a Mac when it's so slow that it feels like I'm running it in a VM and not on a real iMac. My iMac is A1208.

gulfan

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2017
I've got myself a nice Late 2006 iMac, and I was able to install Yosemite successfully (El Capitan has issues but if I can't get that working soon I'll stick with Yosemite after this issue), however it's painfully slow; I cannot feasibly use the machine as a Mac when it's so slow that it feels like I'm running it in a VM and not on a real iMac. My iMac is A1208.

Have you been able to get the Dock to work? It was there the first boot - but once I rebooted it disappeared.

2017-07-17 12:40:54.621 PM taskgated[119]: killed com.apple.dock[pid 668] because its use of the com.apple.private.tcc.manager entitlement is not allowed (error code -67063)
2017-07-17 12:40:54.621 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.Dock.agent[668]) Service exited due to signal: Killed: 9
2017-07-17 12:40:54.622 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.Dock.agent) Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 1 seconds.
2017-07-17 12:40:55.000 PM kernel[0]: AMFI: Error! There is a null code directory pointer. This is an unexpected condition.
2017-07-17 12:40:55.000 PM kernel[0]: proc 669: load code signature error 4 for file "Dock"

Infinite loop

Last edited:

gulfan

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2017
Okay - spent all day on this here's my update for no dock / background.

In the \System\Library\CoreServices folder the Dock.app was not allowed to run as it indicated that it was for Mac OS 10.12 and the current installed version was 10.5.5. Absolutely not a clue how this happened.

I was able to use Pacificst a shareware program to go into the Yosemite Installer and extract out Dock.app from the Essentials.pkg file. I placed it into the \System\Library\CoreServices folder, the computer crashed. Upon rebooting the dock and background now appear.

iMac 5,1 2006 - 3GB ram, 2ghz processor now have working sound, camera (lag), wifi, 128mb video.

Reactions: Sartolo

gulfan

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2017
In the \System\Library\CoreServices folder the Dock.app was not allowed to run as it indicated that it was for Mac OS 10.12 and the current installed version was 10.5.5. Absolutely not a clue how this happened.
So when you run the ATI Kexts Installer package - it overwrites the Dock. This is a bug in the installer package that needs to be corrected.

Attachments

• Dock version mismatch JPG.gif
    Dock version mismatch JPG.gif
    128.9 KB · Views: 296

zappaesque

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2017
Any reports on if the July 2017 security update needs any repatching? I know the last one required the audio kexts to be reinstalled, but I'm holding off on this one for now in case there are some issues.

Running Yosemite 10.10.5 on Macbook 2,1.

EDIT: Installed Yosemite on a 3,1 and tested the update. Same as before- reinstall the sound kexts after the update is finished. Everything else seems ok. Same story with my 2,1.

Last edited:

Boosted98

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2017
Finally got Yosemite installed on my Macbook 3,1 A1181. The only problem now is that every time I try to login, it freezes. The cursor glitches around a little bit as I move it, but I'm sure that's graphics related.
As soon as I hit enter after typing my password, it shows the loading circle, then the pinwheel comes up on my cursor and the arrow cursor freezes where it was.
Anything I can do to get it working? I have it installed on a 25gb partition and I used Mac Post Factor 1.0.1 for installation.

Peter_Klaver

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2017
Boosted98, I have little expertise about this, my only experience is that I got things working on a MacBook 4,1. But I noticed you said you were using MPF 1.0.1. Maybe try it with MPF 2.0.1, as that is said to fix quite a few issues?

Boosted98

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2017
Boosted98, I have little expertise about this, my only experience is that I got things working on a MacBook 4,1. But I noticed you said you were using MPF 1.0.1. Maybe try it with MPF 2.0.1, as that is said to fix quite a few issues?
I can give it another try tomorrow. I tried 2.0.1 before, but when I went to boot to my Yosemite drive, it wouldn't let me boot to that drive, instead bringing me to my main drive (10.8.5, also installed with MPF 1.0.1).
I'll give it another go and get back to you.

Boosted98

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2017
Just got done installing Yosemite using MPF 2.0.1. Since I had walked away to take care of other things, I didn't notice what MPF said once it was finished, but by the time I got back to the computer it was just showing my desktop.
I restarted the computer and went to the drive selection screen (by holding option) and it shows Macintosh HD, Macintosh HD Recovery, and Create Recovery for Yosemite (my Yosemite drive is named Yosemite).
When I boot to the last drive, it just brings me to my Mountain Lion desktop (Macintosh HD).
What's wrong here?

macis

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2017
I’ve installed Yosemite on my iMac Late 2006 with MacPostFactor 2.0.1. With applied kexts the system is usable for the most part. Anyway I’m using only system apps. The only annoying thing is artifacts on the login window. Like 30 seconds of white stripes going from screen top to bottom or vice versa. Is there any way to fix this?

Update:
I've found the solution myself. Remove all AMD kexts and install ATI kexts for your GPU instead. There are no graphic artifacts, but system stutters for the same time on the login window. No solution to remove stutter yet.

Attachments

• A1207.jpg
    A1207.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.