Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
I found something useful in regard to the change of brightness. It's a workaround and I honestly don't know if it has been mentioned here before.

I use an app called "Shades" to regulate the brightness, however it does not entirely dim the screen as the real built-in function would do but it does the job to a certain and acceptable degree and is the best fix for this problem IMO.

Link: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23370/shades

max00r

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2018
In Terminal run the command: sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1" .

In /System/Library/Extensions/ disable AMDFramebuffer.kext as well as AMDSupport.kext by renaming.

Insert via Kext Utility the following Graphics Kexts:

ATI1600Controller.kext
ATIFramebuffer.kext
ATIRadeonX1000.kext
ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin
ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle
ATIRadeonX1000VADriver.bundle
ATISupport.kext

You can take these files also from 10.7.5 Lion or the 10.7.5 Combo Update.

After a reboot Yosemite should now display 128 MB graphics memory and there should also be much less graphics artifacts. For fully graphics acceleration you need appropriate patched OpenCL/GL Frameworks.

Hello Guys,
i make all this stuff on 10.10, 10.10.2, and now on 10.10.5 and nothing happend. I'm always have 5MB graphic memory :-((((

I have MacBook Pro 2.2, 17" with Ati 1600 X
Zrzut ekranu 2018-03-09 o 01.31.23.png

hipsheik

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2008
Get a MacBook 5,2 logic board. You're supported all the way to El Capitan and can install Sierra using dosdude1's hack. Yes it's a little expensive but everything works.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I never knew there was a non LED backlit 2009 macbook.

I just got one and installed 8GB ram and an SSD. Runs perfect.

Runs so much better than my 2008 macbook with mountain lion.

I would recommend people don't bother upgrading the older MacBooks to Yosemite. Not worth the hassle with all of the performance drawbacks.

Just go and get a 2009 macbook 5,2.

Reactions: johnsawyercjs

Bocellih

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2018
Hi guys, I have a mac mini 2007 with Core 2 duo 1.83ghz, 3gb of RAM, GMA950 and SSD. I installed Yosemite via MacPostFactor 2.0.1 and I have the famous artifacts. I've already installed all the appropriate kexts, what else can I do to make it go well?

philippejaquet

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2018
After using MacPostFactor with "Install Small Recovery" unchecked, and after its first reboot, it's now stuck in a boot loop of "Creating MacPostFactor Recovery" and never going into the OS.

The machine I'm working on is a Mac Mini 2,1 (Mid-2007).
What should I do? I didn't clone the disk before and tried this on the main partition.

Hi. I have exactly the same problem. Did you find a way out? Thanks for helping

mpbb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
Hi guys, I have a mac mini 2007 with Core 2 duo 1.83ghz, 3gb of RAM, GMA950 and SSD. I installed Yosemite via MacPostFactor 2.0.1 and I have the famous artifacts. I've already installed all the appropriate kexts, what else can I do to make it go well?

Well, I have done the same with a MM 2006 (no SSD still though, waiting them to drop price) and I had artifacts with Yosemite and Mavericks though I remembered vaguely that none with Mountain Lion. After many trials and errors, I've finally got sure after I reinstalled ML from scratched and had no artifacts. Then upgrade to mavericks and ... no artifacts. Then an update and rehack and ... artifacts ! So my advice is reinstall your system and DO NOT use Migration Assistant or CCC from an "artifacted" system since they do seem to import some configuration file that "maintain" the artifact or just triggers some automatic rehacking from MCPF. Just copy your personal data and app manually (it's not that lenghty after all the time I spent backing up and restoring and migrating systems). Never use the rehack feature from Recovery HD, if possible install already the latest version (like 10.10.5 or 10.9.5). II 've not yet tested on Yosemite because I still couldn't get sound working in a previous try (on top of the artifacts)on it, but now that my Mavericks 10.9.5.1 is fully working with sound and no artifacts I' m confident Ill try it soon. For now Im just enjoying my nicely C2D-upgraded MM1,1.

Bocellih

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2018
Well, I have done the same with a MM 2006 (no SSD still though, waiting them to drop price) and I had artifacts with Yosemite and Mavericks though I remembered vaguely that none with Mountain Lion. After many trials and errors, I've finally got sure after I reinstalled ML from scratched and had no artifacts. Then upgrade to mavericks and ... no artifacts. Then an update and rehack and ... artifacts ! So my advice is reinstall your system and DO NOT use Migration Assistant or CCC from an "artifacted" system since they do seem to import some configuration file that "maintain" the artifact or just triggers some automatic rehacking from MCPF. Just copy your personal data and app manually (it's not that lenghty after all the time I spent backing up and restoring and migrating systems). Never use the rehack feature from Recovery HD, if possible install already the latest version (like 10.10.5 or 10.9.5). II 've not yet tested on Yosemite because I still couldn't get sound working in a previous try (on top of the artifacts)on it, but now that my Mavericks 10.9.5.1 is fully working with sound and no artifacts I' m confident Ill try it soon. For now Im just enjoying my nicely C2D-upgraded MM1,1.

I managed to install Mountain Lion 10.8.5 via MPL. Up to now no problem, but when I go to do the update of the preinstalled apps (safari and so on) through app store, when the system reboots, it does not boot me anymore, making the prohibition signal appear

mpbb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
I managed to install Mountain Lion 10.8.5 via MPL. Up to now no problem, but when I go to do the update of the preinstalled apps (safari and so on) through app store, when the system reboots, it does not boot me anymore, making the prohibition signal appear

If I understood correctly, you are trying, as I did, to start from scratch and install progressively from ML up to Yosemite, so in principle you don't need these updates and you can go on to say Mavericks as soon you have a clean ML install working (ie., without artifacts). If you want to stay with ML and then apply updates, every time you do so you have to reboot on the MLP install drive and reapply the patch.

mpbb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
Just in case this interests someone, I finally succeeded to upgrade my Macmini 2,1 (C2D-upgraded from Late 2006) to Yosemite wand solve the sound/speakers issue. Actually Im not 100% sure how I got there but: first, I had success with the VoodooHDA.kext which helped me to narrow down the issue to the driver alone; but then I tried to upgrade and VoodooHDA.kext would not allow to change the volume at all. So I decided to reinstall from MCPF 2.01 from scratch and ... the speakers just appeared. So my guess is that when installing Yosemite with MCPF one should enable the kext-dev-mode=1 even *before* the install, since this was the only thing that had not changed from the Voodoo install for me.

mpbb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
ok, this hopefully is my last post on this thread, just sharing that, after installing 10.10.5 successfully, the security update up to 2017-003 would still break the sound despite that there are only one small security fix in the 10+ security update between builds 14F27 and 14F2511. Despite this, the AppleHDA.kext goes from 8.7M to 7.1M so it seems some support (or programmed obsolescence) was dropped. So, backup the old AppleHDA.kext (size 8,7M) and reinstall it after the security update, keeping in mind to have the boot-args set at kext-dev-mode=1 at all times. I just discovered that the probable culprit of my troubles with sound enabling was that installing through Kext Utility would *reset* the nvram, so no wonder I got it working by chance as generally I would make a last Ket Utility run before every reboot to be sure of getting the right permissions.... Now, up to El Capitan. Cheers

Oda66

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2018
Hi
I got the Macbook 3.1, with Yosemite 10.1 up and running.
It was done with Macpostfactor as MacOS extrator failed to work (and god knows I tried).
Problem is when I try to re-patch it (for instance after update to 10.10.5)
The re-patching cause the OS to freeze the mouse and keyboard upon boot and render the machine useless.
Is there a way to repatch using MacOs extractor (or other advises)?
What if I copy all the kext files prior to the update, and place the back (using a different mac) manually. does it make sense?
Please help
Thanks!

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Hi
I got the Macbook 3.1, with Yosemite 10.1 up and running.
It was done with Macpostfactor as MacOS extrator failed to work (and god knows I tried).
Problem is when I try to re-patch it (for instance after update to 10.10.5)
The re-patching cause the OS to freeze the mouse and keyboard upon boot and render the machine useless.
Is there a way to repatch using MacOs extractor (or other advises)?
What if I copy all the kext files prior to the update, and place the back (using a different mac) manually. does it make sense?
Please help
Thanks!
I have as you Yosemite installed with MacPostFactor and running in a MacBook 4.1.
For safety reasons I make a working clone from time to time with CarbonCopyCloner and check it boots from it.
It took me too much effort to reach Yosemite and am therefore cautious by keeping a bootable clone drive.
I do not understand what you call Repatching.
In my system there is only need to do something after installing any file coming directly from Apple, usually a safety update.
That makes my mac soundless.
It is enough with the Kext Utility easily found in the web to reinstall the Apple HDA Kext which comes in the hacking tools created with MacPostFactor and reboot.
After that the built-in mike and speakers work again.
I run the last Yosemite version which is 10.10.5 used from the very first installation with MacPostfactor, do not need any other repatching and therefore do not understand what and why you do.
Good luck.
Ed

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
If you google "Kext Utility" the first entry is the place to find and download it.
However normally I do not need to work with kexts.
I use it only to recover sound in my Macbook 4.1 when Apple releases a security patch for Yosemite which now happens on very rare occasions.
After installing it there is no sound.
So I place in the window of Kext Utility the Apple HDA.Kext (which came with other files when installing the hacked Yosemite with MacPostFactor), let it process it and reboot the Macbook.
Then the built in mike and speakers work again.
Other than in such rare occasions I do not mess around with kexts.
Ed

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Be advised: macOS Extractor v1.43 will be available tomorrow. Macs with Nvidia GPUs will have to redownload the newest version of macOSE. Nvidia Kext Installers from prior versions will no longer work when repatching.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
macOS Extractor 1.43 has been released. Details shown below:

macOS Extractor v1.43
An update to the macOS Extractor was released on July 25, 2018.

A macOSE update is recommended to assist you in installing macOS Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, and Mountain Lion on your old Mac. Also, by updating the patching software on your Mac, you can enjoy various additional features and enhanced security. Always use to the latest version.
Never download this from any other provider. All links must link to this page or directly from our server. This is to ensure that nothing was tampered with and that you have the most reliable and tested software.

This update includes:
◦ Performance and Stability Improvements to the Installer
◦ Graphical Kext Installers now remove Unsupported Screen Savers
◦ El Captain and Sierra Patches now include SIP Check Detection

Other Features in Previous Versions:
◦ Maintenance script now compresses Dock app resources
◦ [dev] AutoPatch main script now includes variables for each OS and steps required
◦ [dev] Graphical Kexts Web Installers now addresses changes in version control
◦ Address differences between Mountain Lion and other OSs’ BaseSystem
◦ Hides Framework error from installer logs (Not Important)
◦ Address Issue that would cause Mountain Lion Patching to fail due to file name errors.
◦ Adds an PostInst script within the AutoPatch that can be addressed through the Installer’s terminal
◦ Graphical Kexts are automatically downloaded to the Installer for use during patching.
◦ AutoPatch now verifies that the Installer is ‘bless’ to boot.
◦ Maintenance Script is now fully executable and includes more optimizations.
◦ Address issue where Graphics Kext Installer fails even when the kexts are installed.
◦ Addresses Rich Text Formatting that causes some scripts to not finish
◦ Fixed issue where the Graphical Installer fails after clearing kernel cache
◦ Addresses issue where the AutoPatch refuses to complete all of its tasks within the Target Partition/Image
◦ Fixes issue where some scripts are in rich text formatting
◦ Replaces brightness app with a new app recommended by a member is the Yosemite thread.
◦ Smart OS detection
◦ Installer Logs now echo its current process to help diagnose where more issues may occur.

Web Installer Size: 4 MB
Download Size: 70 - 170 MB
The Installer reads and downloads needed patches from our servers. You must have at least 180 MB of space for installation

Prerequisites

Tested Macs listed below. Here are the minimum requirements:

- Running 10.7 Lion
- At least 2GB of RAM.
- A copy of Yosemite or Mavericks in Applications Folder (.app file preferred)
- 15 GB of free space from USB or HDD Partition.

-MacBook2,x
-MacBook3,x
-MacBook4,x
-MacBookPro2,x
-MacBookAir1,1
-MacMini1,x (C2D upgraded)
-MacMini2,x
-iMac4,x (C2D can be upgraded)
-iMac5,x

We DON'T assist with Hackintosh. All private messages/emails involving installing OS X on non-Apple hardware will be redirected to another support team.

How to Use It:
1. Download macOS Extractor
2. Install it. Choose a version of macOS/OS X to get the correct patches.
3. Open the AutoPatch in your Applications and view to corresponding guide for the OS you choose.

Download (Web Installer)
Download (Mega)

wflaw

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2018
presently Ct, Soon to change
I have two questions: Do I really need 10.7 on my machine? (I have 10.6.8) the reason I spent the money on Snow Leopard was so that I could upgrade to yosemite for the safari upgrade. Many sites don't let you in with 5.1.10. I have an old macbook that I can't part with. Second is it better to use SFOTT or mac post factor?

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I have two questions: Do I really need 10.7 on my machine? (I have 10.6.8) the reason I spent the money on Snow Leopard was so that I could upgrade to yosemite for the safari upgrade. Many sites don't let you in with 5.1.10. I have an old macbook that I can't part with. Second is it better to use SFOTT or mac post factor?
Hi,

Yes, you need OS X 10.7. Snow Leopard does something funny with OS X Installers during restoring and ultimately corrupts it.
I know very little about SFOTT or the developer behind it. Considering, he has abandoned that project, it is best to use MCPF.

Isiah Johnson
OS X Hackers Webmaster/Developer

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
macOS Extractor 1.43 has been released. Details shown below:
The first Download Link in your post (Web Installer) brings me to countless rows of kind of little squares with interrogation marks followed by what seems to me Machine Code. I wonder if something is wrong with the destination of that link.:rolleyes: I am running Yosemite.
(I have not tried the zip file of the Mega link).
Would you kindly check it TMRJIJ for those needing it?
As to myself I do not risk my hacked Yosemite in my MB 4.1 obtained after much effort through MCPF, since past experiences with the previous Extractors tryng to get ElCap served to only ruin my Yosemite...:oops:
Ed

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
The first Download Link in your post (Web Installer) brings me to countless rows of kind of little squares with interrogation marks followed by what seems to me Machine Code. I wonder if something is wrong with the destination of that link.:rolleyes: I am running Yosemite.
(I have not tried the zip file of the Mega link).
Would you kindly check it TMRJIJ for those needing it?
As to myself I do not risk my hacked Yosemite in my MB 4.1 obtained after much effort through MCPF, since past experiences with the previous Extractors tryng to get ElCap served to only ruin my Yosemite...:oops:
Ed
Can you send a screenshot of what you are seeing? I've check the link and it appears to be working correctly on my MB4,1 and MBP11,1.

wflaw

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2018
presently Ct, Soon to change
Hi,

Yes, you need OS X 10.7. Snow Leopard does something funny with OS X Installers during restoring and ultimately corrupts it.
I know very little about SFOTT or the developer behind it. Considering, he has abandoned that project, it is best to use MCPF.

Isiah Johnson
OS X Hackers Webmaster/Developer
I recognize your TMRJIJ sig from searches I've done about trying newer macos on older machines. Thank you for all your hard work and those that helped also. I have also been to the OSX hackers website. I guess if I get lion and decide to do it I'll be back there again. I added Ram and put in a 500GB 7200RPM hard drive to help with this endevor so I hate that I need to "buy" another OS Grrrr! Again thanks for your work.

Ioframework

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2017
Russia
Hello. Im dont install kext, because kext dev mode dont working. I reset smc, nvram - not working. Please, create and download on Time Machine copy on you working, i dreamed - this help me. Who helped me?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.