Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

iv22

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2017
I’ve installed Yosemite on my iMac Late 2006 with MacPostFactor 2.0.1. With applied kexts the system is usable for the most part. Anyway I’m using only system apps. The only annoying thing is artifacts on the login window. Like 30 seconds of white stripes going from screen top to bottom or vice versa. Is there any way to fix this?

Update:
I've found the solution myself. Remove all AMD kexts and install ATI kexts for your GPU instead. There are no graphic artifacts, but system stutters for the same time on the login window. No solution to remove stutter yet.

How did you done it? I have the same Imac 2006 but it doesn't work. I coudn't start the boot disk.

macis

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2017
How did you done it? I have the same Imac 2006 but it doesn't work. I coudn't start the boot disk.
MacPostFactor 2.0.1 worked for me. There was a problem with El Capitan, but Yosemite installed with no issues. I did as the manual says, and installed from one partition to another empty partition with no USB sticks etc.
If you're planning to use third-party apps (e.g. Google Chrome or Spotify) I don't recommend to move to Yosemite, because they really do not work due to OpenGL issues.

Zedelghem

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2017
Hi! I've got a little story to share.

So I bought this super cheap old Mac Mini 2006/7 (chassis says '06, internals '07). It was fitted with 4GB of RAM (all detected), Core2Duo 1,83Ghz, Intel GMA950 and ran Snow Leopard (EFI already upgraded and showed MacMini2,1). I put Lion onto it in no time. Frankly, I would be perfectly happy with 10.7.5 if only I could get a modern browser and Ulysses running. Unfortunately, that is not the case. So I tried with El Capitan and it managed to boot (even though none of the above methods worked for me; I used another Mac to install and restore) but run into the yet unsolved USB issue. Then Yosemite it had to be.

Again, installed Yosemite on a USB with another Mac, restored that USB to a partition on Mini, patched it with SFOTT and... it booted. USB worked like a charm. Cool. Configured, created an account and... crash. Tried again, got me back to the configuration screen. I went through all of it again (it remembered the account I made before but I still had to create a new one) and this time, miracle!, login screen loaded. Alas, this is the end of good news. As soon as I enter the password and try to login it crashes, every time I try - no miracles this time.

I suspect it must have something to do with GMA950 (cursor is lagging, the screen flashes with grey bars occasionally). Unfortunately I had no luck so far to get OS X Hackers' kexts installed. The .pkg file they provided can't be targeted to any other partition than the current one and I am not learned enough to unravel it, extract what I need and inject it back to the Yosemite drive. (KextsBeast from tonymacx82 couldn't do the targeting either). I will try to do the same trick as with making of the installation drive (install kexts on the USB from another Mac and restore to Mini) but I doubt it will work. After all, to get to the macosExtractor installation stage I need to configure the Yosemite installation and it will then point to a completely different machine. Maybe SFOTT can fix it, I'll keep you posted. If not, then I am back to Lion, I guess. I hope there is still at least one decent browser out there and a markdown-compatible text editor.

All best and good luck to you all!

Last edited:

Benkkuli

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2017
Hi!
I just tried creating a bootable media first with macOS extractor but newer got my machine to boot. It just started pouring text all over the screen and then it just went to a reboot loop. With macpostfactor I had even less luck, since it didn't even create the media for some reason. There was always error -1. Then I decided to try SFOTT and that worked. The drive created perfectly and I was able to boot to the installer however, the installer always says that "Yosemite has already been installed on this computer". I haven't been able to find a single thread explaining why would this happen. So I'm stuck right here with my Macbook 2,1 core 2 duo gma950 with 3 gigs of ram.

Benjami Lindqvist

hiroshi.rio

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Hi there. Does anyone have this issue? I can't see the images but I can change them.
I've tried to disable "transparency" (Accessibility menu) but no success.

vq18wz.jpg

terpinator

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
After using MacPostFactor with "Install Small Recovery" unchecked, and after its first reboot, it's now stuck in a boot loop of "Creating MacPostFactor Recovery" and never going into the OS.

The machine I'm working on is a Mac Mini 2,1 (Mid-2007).
What should I do? I didn't clone the disk before and tried this on the main partition.

vmk

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2017
whats goin on yall! hopefully some one can help me out with this! i am running a 2,1 Macbook Early 2006, i have successfully installed yosemite on there with macpostfactor... so currently there is 10.10 on there and everything seems to be working fine... so i went to update the OSX to 10.10.5 using the app store...i only installed the os update not the recovery update. Once all that is done i go into the os hacker recovery and do a re hack on the os... now the macbook 2,1 boots up to the sign in screen with no keyboard or trackpad functionality. anyone know of a fix to get the keyboard and track pad working again! much appreciated!!!!! thanks in advance! oh ps the only button that works currently while at the sign in screen is the power button i should also mention that its a intel core duo 2 with a 2 ghz processor and upgraded memory to 4gb
Had exactly the same problem. According to the logs most kexts were omitted. Also I couldn't find any USB-kexts anymore. So this is how I fixed it:

First I fabricated a com.apple.Boot.plist with the -no-compat-check flag and copied it to the correct folder. See method 3 for Capitan for instructions. Strangely that file didn't already exist.

Afterwards I copied all the OS X Extractor USB kexts to my Kexts-folder. Repaired their ownership and then rebooted my Mac. So no cache compiling necessary. When booting in Verbose mode I can see that wrong signatures are now skipped instead of the kexts being omitted.

Boots fine and quite quick now. Yosemite seems to be somewhat faster as my old Mountain Lion installation. If now only the waking up from sleep issue was fixed..

Gpl

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2017
Any news for a new version of MacPostFactor ?
I'm not able to get run un imac 2006, i have the video card problem with mavericks and with yosemite i have to remove a ram block to make it work

Last edited:

kshane9

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2017
I'm running 10.10.5 on my MacBook 4,1 (early 2008) with the X3100 and AppleHDA kexts. When I plug in my Apogee Jam (USB), the device is not recognized in Audio Inputs. However, the device is listed in System Information - USB.

Any ideas how to get this USB device recognized as an audio input?

snahfu

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
I have a late2006 imac (upgraded to a ssd and 3gbs of ram)

Im currently running mlpostfactor with mountain lion installed and it runs pretty great. Very smooth for basic use such as web browsing and youtubing. I was just curious, will installing mavericks, yosemite, or el capitan give me any performance decrease?

Gpl

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2017
I have a late2006 imac (upgraded to a ssd and 3gbs of ram)

Im currently running mlpostfactor with mountain lion installed and it runs pretty great. Very smooth for basic use such as web browsing and youtubing. I was just curious, will installing mavericks, yosemite, or el capitan give me any performance decrease?

I have your same configuration but i wasn't able to run mavericks or yosemite, ram with good performance, for make it work i have to ramove one ram (i have 2x2Gb) and there is a problem with video card, so graphics performance are not good for me.

snahfu

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
I have your same configuration but i wasn't able to run mavericks or yosemite, ram with good performance, for make it work i have to ramove one ram (i have 2x2Gb) and there is a problem with video card, so graphics performance are not good for me.
thank you man

saved me a bunch of time. thank you!

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
Bonjour
Je viens vers vous parce que quand je tries (essais) à installer (Settle) yosemite sur macbook avec Macposfator il (elle) ne fonctionne pas , il (elle) écrire "URL Adify aren » t initialisés! Connexion Internet s'il vous plaît vérifier votre! Macposfactor wil quitter ». Peut me utiliser pour l'installation. Merci beaucoup

MacLeodC2D

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2018
@Boosted98 With my limited experience of this, I’ve been trying to get Yosemite installed and working well enough and , to be workable. One thing I did to mitigate login, was at the login screen after first boot, once It’s hung for a while, force your Mac off and re-boot. Do this twice more and the third time of asking you need to wait, OS X will prompt you with a dialog box about reopening apps or something like that, click cancel. You should now be on your desktop, from there you can navigate to settlings and switch on auto login hope this helps.

Last edited:

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
hello i just installed yosemite on macbook white 3.1 with mplf 1.0.1 but i would like to know how to update yosemite 10.10.5 thank you for your help

olesolo

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2018
I wonder any chance to update iMac mid 2006 1,83 (G950), 2Gb of RAM to OSX 10.9? Is it possible? Thanks

MacLeodC2D

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2018
It should be, I had 10.10 on a late 2006 IMAC 24” although I’d say the iMac of that period seem particularly fickle in installations. The one I have has the nvidia chip which is rubbish for support, I’d much rather it was Ati.
I wonder any chance to update iMac mid 2006 1,83 (G950), 2Gb of RAM to OSX 10.9? Is it possible? Thanks

SoldatZack

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2018
Hay there,

ok i have a MacBookAir 1,1 and installed with "macOS Extractor" Yosemite on it.
Wenn i will boot Yosemite it shows me a circle for "unsopported OS"
What can i do?

MacLeodC2D

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2018
Hay there,

ok i have a MacBookAir 1,1 and installed with "macOS Extractor" Yosemite on it.
Wenn i will boot Yosemite it shows me a circle for "unsopported OS"
What can i do?
It sounds as if you need to update the supported board plist file in core services and the same file in a recovery folder in the same core services location. You can do it via terminal if you know the terminal language to use, or use another mac if you have one and connect the laptop in target disk mode. There will be info in this thread if you search on instructions, you can also temp delet the file using terminal, from a recovery partion or install USB, and add the board plist file later that you have added your board id to.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Hi

I can't seem to find any info on Yosemite hack support for the late 2006 white MacBook.

I installed OS X 10.9 Mavericks and an SSD on this little guy and this machine is a beast. Everything is perfect. Seems as fast as a new MBA. Only Safari glitches a bit and the audio settings are sometimes strange. But other than that it's awesome. I just use Firefox instead. Weird that Firefox would be fine but not Safari.

Anyway, I'd love to be able to install Yosemite on this machine. Probably not possible because of the old integrated GPU right?

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
Hello guys,
first of all I want to thank everbody who has made the install of a modern operating system possible on an old MacBook. I recently got a MacBook 4.1 for really cheap and made it pretty much brandnew (new SSD, new RAM, new display, new keyboard, ...) OSX 10.7.5 works really fast on it, however after some research I found this thread and installed OSX 10.10.5 via MacPostFactor which really worked without any problems. Audio and the recognition of the graphics chip didn't work out of the box but I fixed this via some kext files. Only thing that does not work is adjusting the brightness and hibernation mode but I can bypass that by booting into 10.7.5 (I have dual boot system).

Problem 1: Is there a fix for adjusting the brightness and enabling hibernation? Maybe some working kext-files? (I've read many pages of this thread but didn't find any resolution for this particular problem ...)

Problem 2: AND IT'S A BIG ONE – Video files don't play smoothly, in other words, very choppy so that it is unwatchable. I've tried NicePlayer and Vuze HD Player, it works (video+audio) but I can't get it to play properly. I think it has to do with the Intel GMA X3100 144MB graphics chip (I know about the 32, 64-bit issue). Is there any way to fix this so I can at least watch some avi files with XviD and DivX Codec smoothly? MKVs play even worse ...

Maybe I should point out that Youtube-Videos play without any problems in Safari (even 720p)

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.