Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
This is hilarious

You all getting so worked up over a pile of generic icons on the desktop and "new pile" under the file menu...

I agree with the few other voices of reason in here that say... WHO CARES?!!

To those who are saying, "It looks cool" I ask "what looks cool?" There's an icon with some tilted documents spread out... what is so cool about that? How does this make things easier?

Weather or not this particular pair of photos is fake isn't the question, the question is who cares?

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Re: This is hilarious

Originally posted by MacGizmo
You all getting so worked up over a pile of generic icons on the desktop and "new pile" under the file menu...

To those who are saying, "It looks cool" I ask "what looks cool?" There's an icon with some tilted documents spread out... what is so cool about that? How does this make things easier?

Weather or not this particular pair of photos is fake isn't the question, the question is who cares?

come on admit it, you must care a little bit...;)

You did take the time to read the article, view the pictures, skim 3 pages of replies and then post one.....:D

And if we didnt care about spy shots and product previews then none of us would be here or even have taken the time to register to post such replies...

itsbetteronamac

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Well if these are real then i don't know for what reason but apple would have changed the color or the little light in the lower right hand corner or the HD icon. In the screen shot the light was green but on my mac the light is a true yellow, almost leaning to a mustard ish color.

Also in another thread that when using grab the pointer disapered, then how come there isn't any grab icon in the dock. To my knowlege there is no way to get rid of that unless you used PS. Hey and if it's possible i wouldn't mind knowing how.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: Re: Re: photoshop snobs

Originally posted by nero007
This could easily be created using Project Builder. If you really need proof, I'll make 10.3 (as they have) as well.
OK, but you CANNOT use photoshop, or any other image manipulation program, to generate ANY graphics, because that was what i said. it doesn't matter if you photoshop the screenshot or the base images, there is no getting around that you have to edit the base image or images in some way to get that interface, and this can easily be faked, if you have the manipulator, and project builder won't let you just magically "make" the images that you need.

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA

I do care about this but you're right, and I know for certain that Piles (they better change the name though, like "Stax" or "iStax") will be in 10.3. But I do have no proof that that was a real picture.

celina

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2003
About This Mac Side-by-Side

Did anybody compare the About This Mac window with their own? Is it only me who sees the version in smaller and less smooth type in the supposed leaked screenshot?

Even in a developer version, I don't think they would have changed the size and quality of the type in one single spot like this.

Attachments

• abouts.jpg
    abouts.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 614

reedm007

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2002
You're Right

Here's a comparison between "New Pile" in an actual menu and "New Pile" in this menu. There's definitely different spacing going on.

And the version text size is smaller.

Now maybe this is something that changed for Panther, but I doubt it. :)

Attachments

• pile_comparison.jpg
    pile_comparison.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 676

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
Can i ask a question: Does it matter if these screens are false or not? It is such a small change to the way it looks now!?

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Screen Shots

I honestly believe this could go either way: perhaps it is true, perhaps not. If they are true, we should be seeing more Panther screenies as the summer progresses. Remember last summer when ThinkSecret posted all the Jaguar screen shots? There was barely anything I had not seen already when I finally got my 10.2 install CD's. So, let's just sit on it and wait and see if other screen shots match this one. At this time it is pointless to talk about the way Piles look; we'll see if other leaks collaborate this one.

Ohn and to itsbetteronamac: hold down command+shift=3 to take a shot of your screen at any time. The resulting image will be placed on your desktop.

Nutzoids

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2003
Philly
I'm real new to the world of Macs. All of this seems too much for me. Fake or not? It can go either way. It seems we just have to wait untill WWDC! Where is the Metal Look?

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
bogus, for one, i dont believe apple would impliment piles to take up so much room. theres better ways to show a "pile" of documents scattered across the desktop. second, why would the person who created these screen shots from panther only concentrate on "piles"? i think the idea for these panther screen shots were generated from the "piles" patent and thats all.

again, i really doubt that apple would use such a lame illustration for "piles" on the desktop.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002

if you dont care then go away.:rolleyes:

speechgod

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2002
Minnesota
This screams fake..but...look at the colors of the menu highlights and the X logo. They are a darker blue.

I thought they just changed the gamma or something, but the color of the Finder logo in the About is the same as mine.

So what's up with THAT? Given how crappy the rest of the fake looks, you think think the fake would take the time to make a darker-blue X logo to match the darker-blue menu highlight?

Food for thought.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Ofcourse he cares. We all care, why else become a member of a rumor site?
We all want to see pics of new stuff. Fake or not.
Speculating whether a pic is fake, or just talking about the matter is what really gets rumor sites-readers going..... just look how many views/replies this thread has.

By the way, I hope Apple does implement a "theme switcher" in 10.3. Personally, I love the brushed metal theme, and it would be nice if Apple would give us the choice out of the box.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Oh No! You know what we've done now...

Assuming these are fakes (which I believe)...

We've highlighted everything wrong with these pictures, now the faker, or future fakers, will refer back to this thread and make even better fakes!

AppleMatt

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
Re: Oh No! You know what we've done now...

Originally posted by AppleMatt
Assuming these are fakes (which I believe)...

We've highlighted everything wrong with these pictures, now the faker, or future fakers, will refer back to this thread and make even better fakes!

AppleMatt

Well, I think the big problem many (such as myself) have is the lack of creativity, novelity, practicality, and aesthetic quality these shots demonstrate.

That's a lot to compensate for..."you don't have size, skill, or good looks, plus your natural BO is horrible..." "Is that all I've been missing? Thanks!"

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
Re: About This Mac Side-by-Side

Originally posted by celina
Did anybody compare the About This Mac window with their own? Is it only me who sees the version in smaller and less smooth type in the supposed leaked screenshot?

Even in a developer version, I don't think they would have changed the size and quality of the type in one single spot like this.
wait in that picture how do you have that About This Mac thing on your desktop? (the pictures are overlappiing) It looks like you have that one and the desktop from the pic.

Edit: you probably just put your About The Mac thing over the picture, Re-edit: Then again that was your first post and you made this whole thing up, photoshop and all. OOORRRRR>.........I'm just getting paranoid

iSmell

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2002
Why we care

I find it interesting that so many people seem to agree that these are probably fake and that even if they are real, they are uninteresting and show very little of the new OS. Yet this is still a very active thread. Why? Because we all would be very interested if there were real screen shots out on the web. Even if they are uninteresting, just the fact that they're out there means that somebody has access to the new OS that is willing to leak some info. That means we might be able to start learning more about what might be coming our way. That's why these lame pictures have turned into a page one thread.
This is what it's all about. Anticipation.

Or maybe anticerbation.

cbond

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2003
Olympia, Washington.
Originally posted by atodd
FAKE!

1. In the "New Pile" menu item, the "e" in Pile is spaced a bit further out, and is bolder than the rest of the menu items. Photoshopped.

You know, he (or she) is right, at least partially. Examine how "-ile" in "File" (at the very top) seems to be joined together beautifully. Now examine how "-ile" in "Pile" (the addition in question, below "File") seems to have an "e" hanging. There is no reason to have the "e" hang with one extra pixel of seperation like that... :rolleyes:

Now, maybe it is official screenshot. But when Apple has a history in being excellent (or at least VERY good) when it comes to typography on their systems, I don't think they would get "careless" like that and just muck up the OS that could create the biggest shift yet in personal computing... if the rumors are to be believed. :)

And yes, I do believe in the rumors. Just not in this screenshot. Maybe it was modified to look as it does/did in Apple's underground labs, but still... an effort went into making this image, if it is photoshopped. And I do think that the odds are it is. :(

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
Okay, I was just/am talking to Trent (the apple-x.net founder) and he says he's not sure whatsoever of the pics, even thoough he said he recieved them from an "apparent insider," we're all pretty certain they're fake.

City of Glass

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2003
Northern California
Here's a point, I'm not sure if this has been brought up or not:

But, in taking a careful look at this screenshot, doesn't the viewer notice something curious?

There is no "Grab" or "Capture" icon in the Dock, whereas in an Amateur screenshot this would most definitely exist.

But here . . . nothing!

Easy to Photoshop out, I know, but would the person spawning this fakery stop to consider that?

Also, until someone finds a website which hosts the same exact desktop background as the one presented here, I'm not sure this could be a homespun creation.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Sincerely Yours,

City of Glass

(edit): As the responses to this post will indicate, I am a very slow and stupid learner. I should be strung up on the Rack, then stoned, then shot repeatedly until there is nothing left but unrecognizable redness, dripping in long streaks down a white wall.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by City of Glass

But, in taking a careful look at this screenshot, doesn't the viewer notice something curious?

There is no "Grab" or "Capture" icon in the Dock, whereas in an Amateur screenshot this would most definitely exist.

But here . . . nothing!

Easy to Photoshop out, I know, but would the person spawning this fakery stop to consider that?

Also, until someone finds a website which hosts the same exact desktop background as the one presented here, I'm not sure this could be a homespun creation.

Sincerely Yours,

City of Glass
and this is where you are wrong, and this has been pointed about 3 times in this thread. you dont have to have grab to take a picture.

Command Shift 3 takes a screen shot, Command shift 4 takes a selection. command shift 4 spacebar takes a certain icon or window

iJon

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
Originally posted by City of Glass

But here . . . nothing!

Sincerely Yours,

City of Glass

What are you talking about? try reading all the posts, the last person to suggest oyur theory was corrected. I will correct you as well. You do not need to be running "Grab or Capture" to make a screenshot. Just press Cmd-Shift-3 and it goes kerchink and a screenshot magically appears on the desktop. You can even press Cmd-Shift-4 to bring up a crosshair so oyu can take a shot of an area of the screen. Guess what theres more, you can press Cmd-Shift-4 with caps lock on to take a screenshot of a whole window by clicking it. There's no need for grab to be running.

There you go, you learn something everyday :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.