Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
zync said:
That is actually way more complex than it had to be! All you had to do was duplicate the layer then Desaturate/Channel Mix the top layer and erase. I'm not even sure how you did what you did. Did you copy one of the channels to the layer palette? That's what it seems like you did....Channel Mixer would have been more effective but still the pic was pretty cool...

I'm not too familiar with photoshop, but I did what I could with what I knew. Now that I think about it, what you said does make sense... Using photoshop is still a learning experience for me, especially since I just got Photoshop CS. I love it's RAW image stuff, though, because it beats the heck out of the Canon software...

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
G4scott said:
I'm not too familiar with photoshop, but I did what I could with what I knew. Now that I think about it, what you said does make sense... Using photoshop is still a learning experience for me, especially since I just got Photoshop CS. I love it's RAW image stuff, though, because it beats the heck out of the Canon software...

Don't worry about it...I just thought that would seem a more likely way to do it....that's the wonderful thing about Photoshop! You can something many different ways! Some ways offer more control (my method here would involve more control if you used Channel Mixer) some offer faster product, while some ways are just easier for some people to do or understand. The coolest thing is that each person optimizes themselves for Photoshop, and each person's way is the correct way for them! I know I can shut up now 'cause I'm sure you're catching my drift!

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Took this horribly overexposed photo not too long ago. I thought it actually looked cool, even though the composition was horrible .

Attachments

• overexposed.JPG
    overexposed.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 145

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Capt Underpants said:
Took this horribly overexposed photo not too long ago. I thought it actually looked cool, even though the composition was horrible .

This one has stock photo written all over it. Hot stuff. I like it. :)

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Moxiemike said:
This one has stock photo written all over it. Hot stuff. I like it. :)

hella, it would totally work for a stylized stock photo...

overexposed_remix.jpg

time to get building your stock photo site Private Underwear. ;)

peace.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Capt Underpants said:
Hope I don't sound too newbish by asking this, but what exactly is a stock photo?

(thinks to self: wow, I just got complimented by moxiemike!)

googled: stock photography

they are photos bought from photographers to be resold in large royalty free media formats (CD/DVD/web). most ads you see contain stock photos. now days everything is stock (video, backgrounds, web-site templates, etc.). sell your own or sell your soul. ;)

peace.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
bousozoku said:
This is what it looks like about five minutes after the space shuttle has launched.

so what causes the spiraling effect? it's pretty cool the contrail lasted so long and still held it's shape... does the spiral slowly take shape or is it pretty immeadiate?

peace.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
neut said:
so what causes the spiraling effect? it's pretty cool the contrail lasted so long and still held it's shape... does the spiral slowly take shape or is it pretty immeadiate?

peace.

It's a gradual thing but because of the atmospheric disturbance the shuttle itself is causing, gradual is somewhat more accelerated than you might think normally. Combine the disturbance with the flight path and the normal winds and the trail does tricks. :) It's completely gone in a few more minutes and so are all the people on my street who were watching.

Capt Underpants:

Whether over-exposed by choice or by accident, the flowers shot looks fine. It's a bit like some effects designers' dream sequences. You could probably do a whole series of them and make some money. :)

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
bousozoku said:
This is what it looks like about five minutes after the space shuttle has launched.

Hey, I didn't even notice (even when I saw the shuttle pic), that you live in florida! Yay, another person from florida....ok, I'll shut up now...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
zync said:
Hey, I didn't even notice (even when I saw the shuttle pic), that you live in florida! Yay, another person from florida....ok, I'll shut up now...

There are a few of us--very few--maybe 12. I think we all need to gang up at an Apple store and scare them. :D

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Took this picture last week when I got home from school. Was really excited about the lighting and reflections until I saw the full sized image on my computer and the dust. By that time the light had gone, and I havent been able to capture it again.

edit: Didnt compress image enough the first time I tried to upload.

Attachments

• compressedwindow.JPG
    compressedwindow.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 183

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Capt Underpants said:
Took this picture last week when I got home from school. Was really excited about the lighting and reflections ...

That looks like an Architectural Digest cover. Bet you've gotten the EndDust out and done some table cleaning to try that again. Hope you get the same light and stunning result.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
JDar said:
That looks like an Architectural Digest cover. Bet you've gotten the EndDust out and done some table cleaning to try that again. Hope you get the same light and stunning result.

Thanks for the compliment! Ya.. I have the cloth ready for when I catch that light again. If I had any photoshop skills (or photoshop, for that matter) I would try to fix the dust. :( I should've noticed it when I was first taking the photo, but the light was here and gone in 5 minutes. Im glad I got the shot that I did, though. I actually have some shots with the dust gone, but they don't have the same effect as that one.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
I just had to reply to be the 444th post as 4 is my favorite number....4444 would be better but hey, you get what you get!

Anyway, el capitan, nice lighting!

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
woo-hoo! it's Friday yo!

0081.jpg

btw- capt. underwear, i like the dust in the pic. you should do a series of really nice dusty staircase photos... :D

peace.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
neut said:
woo-hoo! it's Friday yo!
peace.

neut, your shots are still amazing, I love 'em...
G'day peoples, just got back from an 8 day camp in the country with a lot of sailing and kayaking.

I took a little disposable camera with me so I'll get the film out soon, it was really fun to shoot on something so simple when compared to using a full on DSLR, I have to say everyone should buy a disp' camera and take some shots, we could have a little comp.

I decided to keep the camera and just take the film out, so I snapped open the case, took out the film and modified so that you push a little wire and the flash will go off.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Wardofsky said:
I have to say everyone should buy a disp' camera and take some shots, we could have a little comp.

I think that's a really good idea, we each buy 1 disposable camera.. take shots and have them developed or do it ourselves. See who can get the best results with the cheap gear... :)

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
cr2sh said:
I think that's a really good idea, we each buy 1 disposable camera.. take shots and have them developed or do it ourselves. See who can get the best results with the cheap gear... :)

I like the idea too....I just don't have a working scanner right now :) But I could get it done, it'd just take me a little longer :) And I'm not paying for a photo CD :)

idkew

macrumors 68020
Anyone interested in seeing some shots I took of my eggs as they are being hard boiled? Actually came out kinda cool. Good way to spend the downtime of food being made. :)

oh- I am in on the disposable. BUT- i think we need to define the camera better. I have used expensive and inexpensive disposable cameras, there is a large difference between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.