Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
8320A625-B0D0-43B4-816E-9EC1722BB3F3.jpeg

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Just picked it up on Thursday. Tesla Model 3, long range, AWD. Already took it on a 200 mile trip over the weekend and am beyond impressed. Autopilot is amazing, and all without a single stop at the gas station.

I have since pulled off the (ugly) aero wheel covers and am waiting on my wheel cap kit to come in from Tesla, which should hopefully arrive at some point this week. Of course it rained and dirty'd up the car after getting it, so I'm waiting for a break in the weather to give it a good wash and detail at home, at which point I'll take some better shots.

This is my first black car, and while I do love the way it looks, I'm dreading the upkeep to keep it looking good.

IMG_4226.jpeg

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Just picked it up on Thursday. Tesla Model 3, long range, AWD. Already took it on a 200 mile trip over the weekend and am beyond impressed. Autopilot is amazing, and all without a single stop at the gas station.

I have since pulled off the (ugly) aero wheel covers and am waiting on my wheel cap kit to come in from Tesla, which should hopefully arrive at some point this week. Of course it rained and dirty'd up the car after getting it, so I'm waiting for a break in the weather to give it a good wash and detail at home, at which point I'll take some better shots.

This is my first black car, and while I do love the way it looks, I'm dreading the upkeep to keep it looking good.

View attachment 837975

welcome to the fam!!!
Just got my wheels powder coated and chrome delete finished up.

This is our 3rd Tesla and we will never drive anything ever again.
Enjoy it!!

60331532_2564251336932751_6870246823601111040_o.jpg

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Just bought a 2016 Mini Cooper. Such a fun car to drive. Only had 8,400 miles.

Attachments

• ORG_DSC035862 2.JPG
    ORG_DSC035862 2.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 232

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Same car, new pic. I think instead of trading it for an RS3 I’m going to keep it and get a Tiguan as a daily. I got a new SEL Premium R-Line as a loaner when I took the R in for work (haldex replaced) and fell in love. Good size but feels small when you drive it.
C1E463DB-34FD-417B-992E-B356D65DD6BE.jpeg

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I remember seeing you had an audi at one point (and also based off your profile picture). Did you trade the audi in?
You are correct, I had an Audi A4 Prestige that I had bought last year as I grew impatient waiting for my Model 3's reservation so I cancelled it and jumped into the Audi.

I have been fascinated with Tesla for years now (and hope to work my way up to a loaded Model S at some point in my lifetime) and have always wanted one. Once the production ramped up for the Model 3 and they changed the packages around and made Autopilot standard on the long range, AWD version, I put in an order and the rest is history.

It's definitely a long way from competing with the A4 as far as bells and whistles go but the differences are little things (like ambient interior lighting) that are more of a nice to have and not a must have. Letting the car do all the work on the freeway on frequent weekend trips (200+ miles) makes up for all that anyways.

I've gone 700 miles already and saved $63 in gas (which does take into consideration the cost of electricity in its place) in just 11 days of ownership. No more premium fuel (or any fuel) for this guy :D

Reactions: Eggtastic

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
welcome to the fam!!!
Just got my wheels powder coated and chrome delete finished up.

This is our 3rd Tesla and we will never drive anything ever again.
Enjoy it!!

60331532_2564251336932751_6870246823601111040_o.jpg
Sweet you got a pair of Model 3 now. Did you trade the Accord from the first page on it? I actually test drove the Accord hybrid a few months back. The standard safety features are pretty impressive. The lane keep assist worked quite well, and according to the sales rep it recognizes red lights and stop signs and will stop automatically which Tesla’s can’t even do yet. Is that true?

We’re getting solar installed soon. It would be lovely to pair up the Model 3 with a Y and will seriously consider it. Have a Lexus RX hybrid which I get 30MPG on regularly. Still impressive for a mid sized SUV but a Model Y with ~110 eMPG charged from solar power is better. Plus the Y will be infinitely more fun to drive :D
[doublepost=1559398269][/doublepost]
Traded in my S5 Sportback for this - Model 3 Performance. So far I really like it - so different from the S5, hard to describe it, S5 was better in many ways (build quality etc), but the Tesla feels like going from a feature phone to an iPhone.

View attachment 839294
Curious, did you test drive the Model 3 Performance before committing to the trade? I imagine that instant torque sold you. That S5 is sweet, I imagine it would’ve been a very tough choice unless you tasted that instant torque from the model 3 performance.

My sister pondered for months whether to trade her RS5 coupe in on a model 3. In the end she got cold feet and decided not to.

I have a regular dual motor which wasn’t available for test drive at the time. I only drove the performance version. Even just going from memory, the performance pulls *much* harder than the dual motor. Each time I see a video of the performance smoking other cars I somewhat regret not going for it.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Sweet you got a pair of Model 3 now. Did you trade the Accord from the first page on it? I actually test drove the Accord hybrid a few months back. The standard safety features are pretty impressive. The lane keep assist worked quite well, and according to the sales rep it recognizes red lights and stop signs and will stop automatically which Tesla’s can’t even do yet. Is that true?

We’re getting solar installed soon. It would be lovely to pair up the Model 3 with a Y and will seriously consider it. Have a Lexus RX hybrid which I get 30MPG on regularly. Still impressive for a mid sized SUV but a Model Y with ~110 eMPG charged from solar power is better. Plus the Y will be infinitely more fun to drive :D
[doublepost=1559398269][/doublepost]
Curious, did you test drive the Model 3 Performance before committing to the trade? I imagine that instant torque sold you. That S5 is sweet, I imagine it would’ve been a very tough choice unless you tasted that instant torque from the model 3 performance.

My sister pondered for months whether to trade her RS5 coupe in on a model 3. In the end she got cold feet and decided not to.

I have a regular dual motor which wasn’t available for test drive at the time. I only drove the performance version. Even just going from memory, the performance pulls *much* harder than the dual motor. Each time I see a video of the performance smoking other cars I somewhat regret not going for it.

Yes I sold the Accord once Tesla released the SR+ which is the perfect combination of price/features for what we needed. We will explore the Y when it comes out but love the 3 too much right now. It's so quick and fun to drive every single day.

SmogTM

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012

That S5 was very sweet indeed - and yes the instant torque on the Performance Model 3 is just insane :) - but what made me switch apart the instant torque was all the tech/future updates in the Tesla and the fact that the Audi was a lease with another year left and I would not have bought it in the end (I would have leased another Audi, an electric one probably. As my wife is also due to change her car soon, we thought I finance the Performance Model 3 now and keep it for 3-4 years, after which my wife will take it over and continue to pay it. I was an original reservation holder for the model 3 but then decided to go with the Audi after I saw some more Model 3 pictures (especially from the inside). I did test drive the car before buying and I found the interior not at all bad and also spacious - that combined with the full glass roof and instant torque sealed the deal for me.

After having had the car for a few weeks now I can say that the Audi is in a league of its own build wise and looks wise, handling also I feel was better in the Audi, much more stuck to the ground. Tesla has a bit of roll and sometimes I don't feel very confident driving it at high speed in curves. The interior also is a world apart between the two cars. However the Tesla looks very good too and has full auto pilot, instant torque, possibility of future updates, no gas (the S5 was probably using as much gas as a Hummer, had to fill it almost every week as it also had a small tank) and it rides quiet.

I sincerely hope that in 4-5 years either Tesla catches up to german cars build quality or german electric cars catch up to Tesla in performance/software.

All in all I am happy I made the switch! Would I recommend the Performance model to anyone? Probably not - you don't get much from the LR except the increase in torque/bigger wheels and brakes. But the LR I would recommend to anyone who buys an ICE car in that price range. :)

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
I love my CR-V. Here's a stock photo, since I haven't changed the external appearance.

2019-honda-cr-v-crystal-black-pearl-rear-left-quarter.jpg

The only tweaks I've made are 30% tint on the front windows and a tiny black vinyl cat sticker just over the rear wiper in the centre of the rear window. I also had the dealer add the Honda factory heated wheel. It's a Touring, so it has all the gizmos. No mods needed.

Here's an interior shot. This does have the digital speedometer discussed earlier in the thread. It can be set to km/h, which also changes the odometer. My personal gripe is that there's no way to change the temperature readouts to Celsius in the US, and Canadian models are locked on C and can't be set to F. (I did run into a Canadian who wanted to do the opposite of what I wanted -- I'm in the US).

maxresdefault.jpg

It does have Honda Sensing. All EX and Touring CR-Vs have that.

I'm hoping Honda brings the hybrid to the US, though this thing gets pretty good mileage as it is with a 1.5L turbo and a CVT, which is pretty nicely responsive. I run it in econ mode most of the time and am a pretty gentle driver. If I turn econ off, it's responsive. Not sports-car fast, but I don't need that in my life. The suspension is nicely firm, since the lead suspension designer also worked on the S2000 back in the day. It feels sportier than you'd think a crossover would be.

Coming from a 2007 GTI, and now having a young child and needing more room, it's perfect. Feels nice, carries everything I need to carry, lots of tech. The steering wheel feels really nice, too -- it's shared with the Accord and Civic and (I think) Pilot and Passport.

Mom-mobile? Sure. I'm a mom. ;)

Reactions: cwwilson

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
I love my CR-V. Here's a stock photo, since I haven't changed the external appearance.

2019-honda-cr-v-crystal-black-pearl-rear-left-quarter.jpg

The only tweaks I've made are 30% tint on the front windows and a tiny black vinyl cat sticker just over the rear wiper in the centre of the rear window. I also had the dealer add the Honda factory heated wheel. It's a Touring, so it has all the gizmos. No mods needed.

Here's an interior shot. This does have the digital speedometer discussed earlier in the thread. It can be set to km/h, which also changes the odometer. My personal gripe is that there's no way to change the temperature readouts to Celsius in the US, and Canadian models are locked on C and can't be set to F. (I did run into a Canadian who wanted to do the opposite of what I wanted -- I'm in the US).

maxresdefault.jpg

It does have Honda Sensing. All EX and Touring CR-Vs have that.

I'm hoping Honda brings the hybrid to the US, though this thing gets pretty good mileage as it is with a 1.5L turbo and a CVT, which is pretty nicely responsive. I run it in econ mode most of the time and am a pretty gentle driver. If I turn econ off, it's responsive. Not sports-car fast, but I don't need that in my life. The suspension is nicely firm, since the lead suspension designer also worked on the S2000 back in the day. It feels sportier than you'd think a crossover would be.

Coming from a 2007 GTI, and now having a young child and needing more room, it's perfect. Feels nice, carries everything I need to carry, lots of tech. The steering wheel feels really nice, too -- it's shared with the Accord and Civic and (I think) Pilot and Passport.

Mom-mobile? Sure. I'm a mom. ;)

i was considering CR-V back in January but opted for Accord. Cant stand the hideous shape of CRV. Hopefully they will change it so that i can buy it in a year or two since kid is on the way now :D

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
i was considering CR-V back in January but opted for Accord. Cant stand the hideous shape of CRV. Hopefully they will change it so that i can buy it in a year or two since kid is on the way now :D

It's a little odd, but it doesn't stand out that much on the black ones. But I'm not so worried about what it looks like on the outside. The interior is well-designed, it is responsive, the suspension is firm without being overly so -- and I get amazing mileage.

Does your Accord have the 1.5T? If so, then you probably do, too.

I just wish that the US market versions got the push-button shifter that the Accord, Odyssey, and Insight have (and maybe also the Clarity). The shift lever is already just a switch and no longer mechanically connected to the transmission. It's a rare and obscure complaint, I'm sure - but I had pain in my right thumb (RSI, maybe) that I had physical therapy for. I don't want it to flare up again :( Other markets have CR-Vs with that button shifter, so maybe the facelift will have it. Then, if the thing gets totaled for some reason, I can get that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.