Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I don't expect the good trade in from Google unfortunately.. I don't see myself getting back half of what I paid for the 6 Pro.. resale is not the best.. think the best place to get maximum value for your phone would be through a carrier for those who are okay with bill credits over the course of a couple years..

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I don't expect the good trade in from Google unfortunately.. I don't see myself getting back half of what I paid for the 6 Pro.. resale is not the best.. think the best place to get maximum value for your phone would be through a carrier for those who are okay with bill credits over the course of a couple years..
Yeah, T-mobile usually gives a deal for like 600ish back when you trade in a last gen device. I'm hoping they offer something similar. They give some instant and some in bill credits. Not ideal but sure beats the $150 they'll probably offer for my Pixel 6.

Reactions: Bkdodger

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Yeah, T-mobile usually gives a deal for like 600ish back when you trade in a last gen device. I'm hoping they offer something similar. They give some instant and some in bill credits. Not ideal but sure beats the $150 they'll probably offer for my Pixel 6.
Verizon does similar stuff too.. have a few phones including the iPhones where they will give you $800 for old device including the pixel Pro

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Google’s event is 3pm UK time on Thursday. An odd time. If preorders go live after (or during) the event, I may struggle with being in work. My calendar is currently free at that time so may need to block it out so no one disturbs me from getting an order in!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Yeah, I’m now having second thoughts on the Pixel Watch… not sure about the bezels. I have the 46mm Galaxy Watch… bought it because I prefer the size of the display and if I were to get the Pixel it might be a downgrade in display size.

bed283845d4fd8cb109a9367069b430d.jpg

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I've got no issues with anyone saying they won't buy it because it isn't aesthetically pleasing to them and I guess Google will have no-one else bar themselves to blame when the lack of sales on the thing that will have them stop producing any further iterations.

It was such a home run - round watch, thin bezels.

Sigh...

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Of course but if it wasn’t free you wouldn’t buy it would you? And therein lies the issue. It will be same with the Pixel Tablet.
I would potentially buy it, yes. it would depend on the price for a start. I don’t love smart watches, so I wouldn’t be queuing up for it but the bezels are not the reason I’d be swerving it.

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
Looking forward to today. I feel an order is on the cards.

Still undecided on Pro vs Standard. I went for the Pro last time but I do prefer a flat screen.

Tempted to go for the regular one given how much I prefer the size of my current 13 pro. Having said that, the rumoured watch pre order deal could be too good to resist.

Reactions: Bkdodger and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Hoping Google has some nice tasty freebies again this year. Another €400 pair of headphones would be nice ;)

But most of all, I hope that they have sorted the awful in-display fingerprint scanner from the Pixel 6/6 Pro, and replaced it with one that actually works reliably.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom

£849 with a free Watch.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I’m not sure if the fact that they’re giving the watch as a freebie is a good deal or it’s essentially saying it’s not worth a dime if they’re willing to give it away for free…

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I’m not sure if the fact that they’re giving the watch as a freebie is a good deal or it’s essentially saying it’s not worth a dime if they’re willing to give it away for free…
We get you don’t like the watch.
Samsung do similar deals all the time. Android is a competitive market space. Maybe it’s just a nice to have rather than Google trying to tell the world they don’t believe in it?
The phone could print money and you’d probably still moan.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
We get you don’t like the watch.
Samsung do similar deals all the time. Android is a competitive market space. Maybe it’s just a nice to have rather than Google trying to tell the world they don’t believe in it?
The phone could print money and you’d probably still moan.
Couldn’t be further from the truth. I’m all for the Pixel 7 and the Pixel Watch-we need more variation and competition in this space. Trust me, I have a 13 Pro and have admired the Pixels from afar including a brief time with the Pixel 4.

But Google unfortunately don’t have that track record of sticking with things. We all know it. Especially with the Stadia closure news last week. And if they half arse it and the watch doesn’t succeed then that will suck.

So yeah, maybe it is just a nice gesture, to get people back into Wear OS. But don’t confuse my comments as me wanting the Watch to fail, more wanting Google not to fail with it because it’s us the consumer that stands to lose the most if it’s a half baked effort.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Couldn’t be further from the truth. I’m all for the Pixel 7 and the Pixel Watch-we need more variation and competition in this space. Trust me, I have a 13 Pro and have admired the Pixels from afar including a brief time with the Pixel 4.

But Google unfortunately don’t have that track record of sticking with things. We all know it. Especially with the Stadia closure news last week. And if they half arse it and the watch doesn’t succeed then that will suck.

So yeah, maybe it is just a nice gesture, to get people back into Wear OS. But don’t confuse my comments as me wanting the Watch to fail, more wanting Google not to fail with it because it’s us the consumer that stands to lose the most if it’s a half baked effort.
It’s a first gen product and it’s Google. So the chances are it is going to be lacking. I read something interesting on Twitter about how Google employees only get promotion for launching a product. How the product performs following launch is totally irrelevant. I’m addition, those on the ground fixing bugs within the product and enriching the user experience get absolutely nothing. No recognition, nothing.

It’s all about launches. I think that’s why we see so many failed Google products. Or why we rarely get a follow up.

For me, it’s a nice to have but I agree it’d be nice if it became a really great product that was a must have. Fingers crossed they actually look to make it a winner or look to keep building on the hardware for future iterations. Im not holding my breath, though.

• Sad
Reactions: 5105973

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

Tbh, I don't see Google giving up on Pixel Watch nor Wear OS as long as Android exist. They pulled Samsung into the group in an effort to rejuvenate WearOS... so, there's curiosity already around Wear OS (just need more dev support).

As @Aneres11 mention this is a 1st gen product thus we don't need to judge it too harshly... however, that won't stop the critics from doing so. I might not buy it this time around.. but at least it will be on my radar for years to come.

Reactions: Aneres11
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.