Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2018
So I've posted in this thread before a few times. I bought my MBP 16in M1 Max in August 2022. Out of the box it was showing 98% design capacity in CoconutBattery. It would sometimes drop down to 94%, but generally hovered around 97-98%.

Today?

100% of design capacity in CoconutBattery. In fact, at the command line a moment ago, it showed as over 100%

Current full charge at 100.700% design capacity

Crazy. I even did the M1 version of an SMC reset, which is to power down and remove the power lead. No change.

I've no idea if this reading is correct or not. I can't be arsed doing a rundown test to find out.

But yeah. M1 Mac laptop batteries are weird.

HuNay

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
CoconutBattery says ~85% after 342 cycles. Apple says it’s on 87% health

1680053895420.png

Reactions: BigMcGuire

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Just a small update. I have been running a MacBook 14 M1 Pro since launch. I have been troubled by the fast degrading battery problem since launch. Last March I was down to 94% battery health already and in the last year really had bad feelings about the extreme degradation down to 85%. (My iPad Pro late 2018 is at 86% with 0 F*** given to its battery health - One time it was at 0% for like nearly 2 Months - so yeah.... MacBook's battery seamed like a complete waste) I used it mostly docked for long periods at a time, but also 2–3 times a week on battery power down to 30% power. - Since my work changed, and I needed a solution for docking the MacBook responsibly, I installed AlDente. (70% target, 10% sailing). After installing AlDente at 85% battery health, the battery recovered its health now back to 94% over the last half year. (Monthly I top it up to 100% and let it go back down to 80% and start sailing again) - I don't use the MacBook unplugged if it can be avoided. - So now it's OK and I can have a good night's sleep, knowing that the resell price won't be complete trash in a few years's time.
Never seen this happens, that's crazy

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
I have opened the box today and the battery cycle count was 5. Is this normal for a brand new device?
What is your opening cycle count for m2pro and m2 max series?
Thanks...

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
Looking for advice please.

New M2 MBP.
Using Aldente Pro, set to 80%.

Is that all I need to do? I read somewhere that always having it at 80% somehow "trains" the battery to only ever use that 80% and it's good to sometimes let it go to 100%.
What was your battery cycle count before your first charge out of the box?

glycerine00

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
Belgium
I have opened the box today and the battery cycle count was 5. Is this normal for a brand new device?
What is your opening cycle count for m2pro and m2 max series?
Thanks...
I bought mine yesterday, and old stock of the M1 14 but still new in box. Was the first thing I checked and cycle count was 5 for me as well.

v0nderwhat

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2023
I have a Macbook Pro M1 14''.
Having some problems with the image flickering, some issues with the blender not loading and Illustrator closing down. Apart from that, after 164 cycles my battery is at 92%, according to Coconut Battery, I'm at 89.6%.
Since I already have 1.6 years of usage, do you reckon it still would be changed via warranty?
If not, how long should I keep using it until it's time to get a new one?

AUGUSTU5

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2022
I have a Macbook Pro M1 14''.
Having some problems with the image flickering, some issues with the blender not loading and Illustrator closing down. Apart from that, after 164 cycles my battery is at 92%, according to Coconut Battery, I'm at 89.6%.
Since I already have 1.6 years of usage, do you reckon it still would be changed via warranty?
If not, how long should I keep using it until it's time to get a new one?
At first glance I think that there is a possibility of software issues. Roll back Versions, clean temp Mac OS files, update software, or just make a clean partition on for example an external ssd to test if it is a software and not a hardware issue. - Apart from that, what kind of image flickering are you talking about? I have only heard of external display flickering and never encountered the build-in display to flicker.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Update on my MBP 16 M1 Max:

Purchased early April 2022. Used every day for 10-15 hours. Mostly clamshell mode with a 4k monitor. I use AlDente Pro (has worked very well for me) to keep the battery between 60-80% (usually closer to the 60% range). About every 1 or 2 weeks I'll charge to 90% then within an hour or two drain it down to 60%.

Apple reporting 100% health. I notice that CoconutBattery will go back to 100% for awhile when I do the partial charge/drain cycle mentioned above.

Best laptop I've ever owned. Not even thinking about upgrading it for the foreseeable future. I did renew AppleCare+ annually - it's a little expensive but for something that I use every day, it's worth it to me.

I've moved most of my reading/book reading to this device so it is used a lot.

I do not use sailing mode with AlDente.

1683729333991.jpeg

health_hafnium.0o

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2023
Number of recharge cycles: 36
Condition: Ordinary
maximum capacity: 97%

is this normal for two months of use? I didn’t check the parameters when I bought it (because I made a taxfree deduction and didn’t know what to check at all (this is my first macbook!

kitsunesoba

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2020
The company-provided M1 Pro 16" MBP that I've been using for work since late 2021 reports 98% capacity with 114 cycles. I've done nothing to try to maintain it and it spends most of its life plugged in at a desk with occasional excursions.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

iShay

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2015
Mine says 97%.. what the hell.. I barely use it unplugged.. why it drained so fast?
It's a 14" M1 Max I bought in October 2022

EDIT: my cycle count is 29 and health capacity 97% :(

Bethelgeuse

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2023
Mine says 97%.. what the hell.. I barely use it unplugged.. why it drained so fast?
It's a 14" M1 Max I bought in October 2022

EDIT: my cycle count is 29 and health capacity 97% :(
I'm at 68 cycles and 85%... very sad.

kitsunesoba

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2020
I feel like there has to be some variable at play here, because some people are seeing a ton of degradation while others have seen very little… isolating that variable could prove to be difficult, though.

For the M1 Pro MBP I posted about earlier which has barely degraded at all, the factors that could play into it are:
  • It's plugged in during working hours on weekdays, unplugged outside of that
  • It's always used and usually charged while open rather than in clamshell (could affect heat buildup in battery?)
  • Its battery has bottomed out to zero a few times over the past year and change when something power-hungry was left open on it over the weekend
  • If power draw exceeds what the thunderbolt dock can deliver (thus falling back on battery), it's only for extremely brief periods

Reactions: Christopher Kim

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
As said before and many times in other threads here, we are all playing battery lottery. Manufacturing reproducibility is challenge with these batteries and someone gets battery which is performing better than norm, someone gets worse one. Use can ALSO influence lifetime by use - and a lot... But if you get less perfect battery to start with, there is not much to do.
The other issue is not to read too much in these absolute values, heath and max capacity are best guess based on model using measured values - and these models are "generic" to start with. There is model which predicts capacity based on history and recent measurements. Even if that calculated number shows 100%, how do you ever test if your battery really has that capacity? There is no way for regular customer to verify these values. There is no guarantee that 105% max capacity battery performs better than 95%. If the model used to estimate these values matches better one or the other battery, you may end up with more usable life in "lower" capacity battery.
Where this helps is if you have records over time of one battery. It is telling you reasonably well how the capacity decays. Concentrate on larger changes only. 1-2% is meaningless. So if you battery changed form 100% to 80%, it is telling you a lot. If from 99% to 100% = no change. That is why Apple values are smoothed a lot to provide consistency and avoid confusing people, as this all is well known in battery development community.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.