Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2020 iPhone with Touch ID AND Face ID

• Both

• Only Face ID

• Only Touch ID

• I don’t care!’

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016
Face ID 100%. Don't understand why they would waste development time and money to include both; face ID is far superior.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Face ID 100%. Don't understand why they would waste development time and money to include both; face ID is far superior.
The problem is that there are pros and cons for each type of technology. You say FaceID is far superior but then the pros for TouchID might make someone say touchid is far superior. It’s just not as clear cut as that and both are very relevant technologies. It’s worth Apples time investing and continuing with both at this point.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016
The problem is that there are pros and cons for each type of technology. You say FaceID is far superior but then the pros for TouchID might make someone say touchid is far superior. It’s just not as clear cut as that and both are very relevant technologies. It’s worth Apples time investing and continuing with both at this point.

True. I should have said "in my opinion, faceid is far superior" as it is all a matter of opinions. Personally, since having my xr, I have not once thought "in this instance I would prefer touch id" but I imagine for every one of me there is one who thinks the opposite.

Reactions: MisterSavage

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
FaceID is better overall if there is only one choice but for me there are many times (still) I wish there was touchID because in certain situations it is more convenient.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
Face ID all the way.

It’s just a thousand times better and more convenient.

Touch ID especially in my iPhone 7 was infuriating, it seemed to work at random. Do I have a shapeshifting thumb?

Reactions: MisterSavage

decisions

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2019
No reason to not have both to support preference, however because FaceID has the annoyance of potentially adding to extra bezel space to make a proper sensor, and the fact that it is slower, more annoying, and less reliable than TouchID, made me vote for TouchID only because I dream of an iPhone with no notch (or a significantly smaller one) after getting rid of this really worthless feature that for some reason people think is cool.

TouchID baby.

Reactions: snipr125

paranoia

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
New England
I first voted for face ID because as much as I thought I would hate it it actually works really good, but I went back and changed to both because I wanted the touch ID as a a option, because once in awhile if my den is to dark or bed room, the face ID dosen't work qucikly, so thats when I would use the touch ID.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
If I have to choose one then that's Face ID.

Do I mind both... no, as long as it doesn't encumber Face ID in anyway.

Hazmat401

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2017
Delaware County, Pa
I’m curious why the majority of you guys would rather have both options

if you could have just Touch ID and NO notch vs both Face/Touch and the Notch

I rather have all my screen real estate

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Face ID, because it’s the most advanced biometric form of security in the smart phone market currently. However, Face ID will continue to improve and it’s still in its infancy from being just introduced in 2017. Touch ID isn’t dead yet, there still some longevity in terms of being used for the entry iPad level and I wouldn’t completely rule it out from the iPhone entirely yet.

That said, touch ID _and_ face ID probably won’t coexist next to each other, as Apple would probably create a separation from various iPhone models.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I’m curious why the majority of you guys would rather have both options

if you could have just Touch ID and NO notch vs both Face/Touch and the Notch

I rather have all my screen real estate

Touch ID wouldn’t mean no notch as you still need room for front facing camera

bushman4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Touch ID may make unlocking your phone easier in some scenarios, & then Face ID can take over with its attention monitoring.

The only negative to having both would be the cost on the phone imo.
[automerge]1576435719[/automerge]
Touch ID may make unlocking your phone easier in some scenarios, & then Face ID can take over with its attention monitoring.

The only negative to having both would be the cost on the phone imo.
Apple won’t pass that cost on. If they up the price it will be for all the improvements that make in IOS 14 and the new hardware
More important is having Multi Log on power as in some situations Touch ID is needed like when your phone Is laying flat on the table or desk and you want to log on

Last edited:
Reactions: compwiz1202

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Voted only face ID. Had to edit my post because auto correct is so bad now a days it read Face I’d
[automerge]1576526955[/automerge]
I have an iPad that has touch id - this time of year (winter in Maine) I find that touch ID almost never works - at least it takes several tries where Face ID on my iPhone works all the time.
I have found touch -id in winter has always been unreliable in winter over a bunch of phones.

In summer months working outside from time to time Touch ID was just as bad. Sweaty fingers, dirty smudgy fingers/home button etc.

Face ID has been amazing, wouldn’t ever want to go back.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Both. Love FaceID for login and Keychain, but would still like TouchID back for Apple Pay and getting new apps. That double power push is still too clunky. I used to just double tap and keep my finger on my home button as I moved the phone to the NFC Reader and ding done! None of the stupid double tapping the power and doing FaceID and then moving it to the reader.
[automerge]1576532392[/automerge]
Exactly. It all depends on a user's conditions. Always better for me to have a few choices.
[automerge]1576532482[/automerge]
[automerge]1576435719[/automerge]

Apple won’t pass that cost on. If they up the price it will be for all the improvements that make in IOS 14 and the new hardware
More important is having Multi Log on power as in some situations Touch ID is needed like when your phone Is laying flat on the table or desk and you want to log on
The one big advantage of Touch is multi users. Why don't they have multi user for Face already. Even if just two.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

mag33

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2019
My choice is in-screen touch ID only.

Doesnt Face ID unlock the phone even when you don't want it to unlock?

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Touch ID under the display would be a good option ONLY if they can design a much bigger unlock area (where to put your finger) compared to current android solutions.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
FaceID works better when I'm holding the phone and prepared to use it but I use the phone many times throughout the day where my face isn't in front of it so I'm STILL missing touchID - it worked better (for me) in many more situations.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
You guys fully understand that Face ID is less secure and all it was Meant to be was a Marketing tool. Even if you never enroll in FaceID it’s still tracking Faces if anyone is looking at the device.
Just imagine you can skip a YouTube video today after 5 seconds. But soon, you can only skip that video if any when FaceID cameras detect a person is actually looking at the ad.
Ive never enrolled in FaceID on my iPad Pro but when I glance at myNews a feed it quickly Updates. Because Face ID cameras have detected a glance which triggers an immediate Update to fresh News which always gets me to look more at the top stories.

Its pretty frightening and genius.
Are you serious ?
faces tracked by FaceID never leave the device...

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
United Kingdom
I'm not buying a 2020 iPhone but I'd imagine it will just be FaceID. Unless TouchID could be fitted under the display without a button they'll not bring it back.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I went with Both. I only have Touch ID right now on my devices and it works just fine. That said, when riding my bike or in the winter with gloves, Face ID might be a bit easier as opposed to using a 6 digit code. Honestly, I don't really care as long as it provides security and the technology works.

I also don't feel Touch ID is a "dated" technology. There are still plenty of devices outside of the mobile phone industry that use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.